Man Utd set to appoint Director of Football (when hell freezes over)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
How much do you think they are hoping to save by waiting until top 4 is gone?
I think the figure the Glazers want to save is quite a significant amount. If I was to guess I'd say at least £15m. The penalties for missing the UCL will be significant.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Not pleased at the suggestion that Mourinho still has a say in it.
We're at a crossroads: the board is seemingly considering allowing a failing, divisive manager to build a powerbase on-field and off.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
This piss me off big time. Woodward is the CEO FFS. Just get a DOF and get on with it. If the manager complains then just tell him it was an executive decision and if he doesn't like it then he can always handle his resignation letter.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
then sack the cnut
This is an executive decision and the manager has no say in it whatsoever. If Mou doesn't like were the club is heading to then he can always handle his resignation letter.

Renegade

So Mourinho doesn’t want a DOF, but we’re lead to believe that all the poor signings we make are Woodward’s signings?

Patrick08

May be our recruitment strategy is to be questioned but how can he not look at his own? Wanting fellani to stay, getting matic who can't put in a tackle at the right time, getting pogba and expect him to control the midfield, getting fred who is not a top level passer himself and benching him all the time, not getting a right winger in for 3 windows, getting lukaku in only to expect him to excel playing with his back to goal. Handling rojo and big contract. Mourinho does hold some valid points, but his own decisions has been pathetic.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
We desperately need a DOF.

But we also need a new CEO, a new manager and 're investing in our playing staff rather than 're signing existing players to long term contracts.

We are a mess from top to bottom.

Ashley R1+O

How have people not cottoned onto the fact that Woodward is the fantasy DOF and won't be dislodged from that position lightly. He'll cling on as long as he can.

It needs more than just "we need a DOF". The whole footballing operation needs to separate from the Commercial and then attach itself to the Academy/AONTC structure. It needs a full re-structure from the ground up. I don't think any of this will be coming in the short to medium term, this is a mega-corporation and it will take the better part of a decade to fix properly.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
They must feel bringing in someone now is going to make a bad situation worse. I can fully understand why they want to wait till Mourinho fecks off.
This is a man that threw the season overboard because he didn't sign a CB. He could completely disintegrate if we brought in someone over his head. And I believe Mourinho doesn't want to work with one he doesn't have significant rapport with. Three semi reliable journalists have come out and said Mourinho is an obstacle to the candidate the club would like.
All comes down to the question of why they won't sack the man.

The_Podgy_Poet

Supports
Hartlepool United
I know Ed negotiates the ridiculously oversized contracts, but who decides whether the players are worthy of new contracts in the first place? I'm sure it's not Ed, so I'm not sure how he's to blame for some of your players still being at the club.

You should also stop blaming him for Moyes. He was Ferguson's choice. You know, Fergie, the man who fans constantly start sentences with "Fergie would have...." when criticising another manager. Ed would have been loathe to overrule him. Most (not all) people on here wanted Mourinho directly after Fergie, what makes you think if that had happened it would have ended up any better than it is now?

People are so upset because they think it can't get any worse than this under a different manager and if Mou had left earlier they may have had a chance at top 4 this season. I've got news for you: It CAN get worse under different management, and unless you sacked Jose in May, you never stood a chance of top 4 this season anyway.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I think the figure the Glazers want to save is quite a significant amount. If I was to guess I'd say at least £15m. The penalties for missing the UCL will be significant.
Makes no sense. They'll save 15m while losing a bigger amount for missing out on CL.

Jose Sacked

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Should be update on this soon, I would guess.
The fact that a caretaker will be appointed till the end of the season has me more convinced his is happening.

Last edited:

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Wanted him gone more than Jose - but it's never going to happen is it? Wouldn't be surprised if our manager position becomes a poisoned chalice with this power-hungry buffoon in charge.

Minimalist

Did the right thing in the end.

Could have saved the season by doing it earlier.

Should have sacked him in the summer when the cnut starting mouthing off at him.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Should've, at the latest, sacked him after Sevilla, but at least we don't have to wait until the seasons over now. We actually have something to look forward to!

zizi

So how many of you are going to admit your weren't right and apologise? All season all we heard is Woody's doesn't have the balls to sack him, won't sack him until top four isn't possible, only care about the money, blah blah blah. Sacked before Xmas whilst still in CL and top 4 not mathematically impossible. Humble F'ing Pie .

Eddy_JukeZ

Now it's time to demote this buffoon from footballing matters.

2 straight colossal failed managerial appointments.

badkins

Good decision, lesson learned from Moyes & LVG, but still he was the one that handed Jose new contract in January, then for some reason didn't back him, which basically cost us a transfer window.

He shouldn't be anywhere near football decisions at the club. Looking from the Glazers perspective - if my CEO can't deliver a success with three managers in a row, with all the given resources, it's time for a change. They need to make a statement and act.

Toad

Thought he would wait till top four was mathematically impossible but he has done the right thing here.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I ask my question why now? Should have done it after the Newcastle game. It would take a miracle for us to salvage this domestic season and a shit ton of investment in January and good fortune to do anything in Europe

AndyJ1985

Deserves some credit for keeping it quiet this time. Gary Neville never had a chance to pretend to be outraged

villain

Hates Beyoncé
This is make or break for him now as far as I'm concerned.

He can stop spouting this 'Man United is Disneyland' nonsense, and having fanciful ideas of signing Bale and Neymar.

Let's get a DOF in with a clear strategic plan for the long term, and a manager who plays an attacking style.
Buy players who suit our style of play, not just because they carry a big reputation.

If he messes this up he needs to go.

Eddy_JukeZ

He's picked two.

They both failed horribly and he's sacked both too late(though he didn't wait til the very end with Jose surprisingly).

He shouldn't have anything to do with picking the next manager.

Get a DOF in and establish a clear identity with the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.