Man Utd set to appoint Director of Football (when hell freezes over)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I feel like many people talk but are either very dense, or have an agenda. Which sporting director in football doesn't report to the clubs CEO?
They all do, they don't report directly to the owner

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Which media outlet is it that was known to be quite racist? I always thought it was UWS but I could be wrong.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
So where does that leave us?
He doesn’t need to be appointed as a DOF. As an ex player, a recruitment position would make sense as per Marwood at City.
The DOF there is Begeristain.

At Liverpool; Edwards is Technical director
The head of recruitment is Dave Fallows who was a Brendan Rodgers appointment. An ex player who was poached from City.

As far as I know Edwards is the only one with a qualification in business management.

All the others are ex players who were appointed into the role.

So it isn’t a question high profile or business savvy. It’s people who can identify the right players for the manager.

We can’t dismiss the credentials of Fletcher. In fact in terms of player profile he’s the best player of all the above

wolvored

Crackers this forum.

Nobody here can, with any substance claim to know how Darren Fletcher would get on as TECHNICAL DIRECTOR (not a DoF as people keep saying). Too many people spent time playing FIFA or Football Manager and sitting here voicing opinions over things they have NIL clue about.

Fact of the matter is, if the club hires Darren Fletcher we get behind him and Ole and the rest of the staff and we give it a damn good fecking go!
Well said

astracrazy

So what exactly would be his role? We are employing someone to give an opinion. The point is what? Have we not got enough people in the recruitment department to given an opinion?

Its also a bit pot kettle black too for the words “know the club” to come out of Eds mouth considering how he runs things.

Infra-red

So what exactly would be his role? We are employing someone to give an opinion. The point is what? Have we not got enough people in the recruitment department to given an opinion?

Its also a bit pot kettle black too for the words “know the club” to come out of Eds mouth considering how he runs things.
It doesn't much matter at this point.

Whoever they give this "job" to is going to be coming in too late to have any impact on this summer's business and, if next season goes as most people expect it to, they will likely be gone again by next summer anyway.

deafepl

I think It's more of a manager having less control in the transfer market and more control power to the committee team with Fletcher being the figurehead, Ole and scouting team will be involved in this, if they all agree on targets, they'll give it to Ed Woodward to go after player.

Ed Woodward is not obsessed with power as you make him out, he gave LVG and Jose (2 seasons) a complete control in the transfer market and see how it turned out, he doesn't want to repeat again.

DOF will not fix it at all, they are not exactly magical who can heal the club's crisis. For example, see Roma's DOF, they were destroyed by him. PSG hate their DoF and want to get rid of them. Arsenal failed with the first DoF, then they went to get Brazilian DOF recently. Do we take a risk by giving all powers to DoF or manager? I think it is safe that all of that power will be shared by scouting teams, technical director, coaches, etc in committee team.

berbasloth4

wee are a fickle bunch. they hired Ole to put a smile one our faces, he is a legend so arent going to argue against him.

a legend is going to be hired as Dof to do the same. the glazers are business men, woodward is a great salesman. need to realise they dont give a feck about results on pitch as long as the books are in the plus

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Mitten knows a thing or two.. Woodward will not relinquish control. It seems very much an ego thing.
We're setting up a committee which has been said plenty of times. One person won't be allowed to have too much control as its sub optimal, you hire the wrong person and you're still fecked.

The hire will sit on the committee

BlueHaze

I've said a hundred times Ed is never going to give up his current position by getting in a top quality dof like Mitchell for example. It's never going to happen. He'll bring in someone like Fletcher but he will literally still be having the exact same role.

Kearnkoff69

Very depressing tweets, those. We are well and truly set for a long stay in the wilderness if we don't take cues from other top clubs and reform our organizational structure and culture quick.

Moriarty

I've said a hundred times Ed is never going to give up his current position by getting in a top quality dof like Mitchell for example. It's never going to happen. He'll bring in someone like Fletcher but he will literally still be having the exact same role.
Woodward will never cede any of his power. If we do get a DoF, it will either be someone who needs on-the-job training or, if experienced, someone willing to lose a great deal of autonomy. Woodward gives orders; he doesn't take them, except from the Glazers.

I posted this on another thread but maybe it's better posted here:

https://lazyfansports.com/ed-woodward-problem

BlueHaze

Woodward will never cede any of his power. If we do get a DoF, it will either be someone who needs on-the-job training or, if experienced, someone willing to lose a great deal of autonomy. Woodward gives orders; he doesn't take them, except from the Glazers.

I posted this on another thread but maybe it's better posted here:

https://lazyfansports.com/ed-woodward-problem
I know. He's a smug self righteous bastard.

BlueHaze

@Moriarty I've read that article already literally everything is true and it literally shows the exact reason why we have not gotten in a dof yet and never will. It seems like Fletcher will be the guy but he's not going to be given the dof role. He's just going to have input on transfers and act as some sort of help to Ole. Pathetic really, a club of our size should be going for the best in every role but the cold hard truth is we are going to be stuck with the clown Woodward for as long as the Glazer's are here.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
We're setting up a committee which has been said plenty of times. One person won't be allowed to have too much control as its sub optimal, you hire the wrong person and you're still fecked.

This is the approach we're gonna take if James Ducker is to believed. The committee style approach is what we're gonna go with it seems and we need to back it.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
In what way do we expect our technical director to help Ole? Genuine question. Because if they have no actual power then what are they going to do that isn't scouting or just backing up what the manager says?

The only thing i can think is that what we are essentially trying to do is put together a group of people to vote on matters, likely because Woodward wants to increase the probability that a signing will work out. I'm struggling to make sense of what we're hoping for here. If this 'committee' had free reign to shape how the footballing side of the club was going to run then it might work. By it just seems that we're bringing more people in for their opinions more than anything.

Will Singh

Mitten knows a thing or two.. Woodward will not relinquish control. It seems very much an ego thing.
Another 'yes sir' at the club by the sounds of it. Woody is a liability and needs to get away from the footballing side and leave it to the professionals to decide the plan going forward.

Brazillian_tekkers

In what way do we expect our technical director to help Ole? Genuine question. Because if they have no actual power then what are they going to do that isn't scouting or just backing up what the manager says?

The only thing i can think is that what we are essentially trying to do is put together a group of people to vote on matters, likely because Woodward wants to increase the probability that a signing will work out. I'm struggling to make sense of what we're hoping for here. If this 'committee' had free reign to shape how the footballing side of the club was going to run then it might work. By it just seems that we're bringing more people in for their opinions more than anything.
Whatever it is, the fact it will be made up of ex Utd players is worrying because we hear alot of them as pundits and they are stuck in this "United way mentality" and alot of the time only seem to know about players in the premier League as that's the league they cover where as an experienced director of football or technical director would have greater knowledge of talent across the top leagues.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"

When the person heading the committee is ultimately incompetent its likely to end up one way.

Woodward has shown that he has no concrete plan on what he wants to do and his decisions show that.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Another 'yes sir' at the club by the sounds of it. Woody is a liability and needs to get away from the footballing side and leave it to the professionals to decide the plan going forward.
I don't think he is willing to do that.

As long as he remains in charge we are ultimately going nowhere. And I'm starting to make peace with that.

Zlatattack

Right now we need the best person available. Let them build a structure like the best clubs in the world.

Really we need woody replaced with a football head.

Moriarty

@Moriarty I've read that article already literally everything is true and it literally shows the exact reason why we have not gotten in a dof yet and never will. It seems like Fletcher will be the guy but he's not going to be given the dof role. He's just going to have input on transfers and act as some sort of help to Ole. Pathetic really, a club of our size should be going for the best in every role but the cold hard truth is we are going to be stuck with the clown Woodward for as long as the Glazer's are here.
Indued. God help us. The man's a curse.

Fridge chutney

So where does that leave us?
Fletcher will be an advisor and they will hire a director of football too. Woodward will remain CEO and we'll be in a much better position when the hires are made.

I like that we're looking more at youth and value than spunking 100M per player. It's not served us well. We need a balance (but I wouldn't say no to Saul, Sancho and De Ligt)

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Andy Mitten knows the club really well so his quote about experienced DoFs being told "no thanks" is really worrying. As for Darren Fletcher - it might as well be Darren Ferguson. It's like saying I've driven a car for 30+ years so I can immediately become head of a driving school of even Minister for Transport. We need someone who knows how to do the job, not someone who knows the club, we've already taken the risk of appointing a manager on those grounds. If we want to further highlight the gap between us and City then you need to look no further than the gap between Txiki and Darren Fletcher

Status
Not open for further replies.