Man Utd - stock price

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Could be wrong - but here's an article claiming he bought 7.85% (over 3m shares) in 2012.
that is just poor journalism - it was commented on in these threads at the time.

As I said before, he bought around 8% of the AVAILABLE shares - but that was less than 2% of the club at the time. Here is a more trusted source for the correct info: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19328750

"Mr Soros' investment fund bought a 7.85% stake in Class A shares - about 3.1 million - in the club, according to the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Class A shares carry less voting power than Class B shares.

His shares equate to a 1.9% stake in the entire club, worth about $40.7m (£25.8m) at Monday's closing price."​

Anyway that was 2 years ago and I dont think they still hold anything near that amount, I think it was just a short term play on weakness after the initial IPO but I am not certain on that.

KeninDC

Rest in Peace
Could be wrong - but here's an article claiming he bought 7.85% (over 3m shares) in 2012.
The reporting is off. 3M shares are about 8 percent of the 39M Class A shares, but that percentage does not reflect the 124M Class B shares. So-Soros owns about 2 percent of United (3M/163M).

And, because each Class B share has the voting rights of 10 Class A share, Soros owns a much smaller share of voting rights.

That all assumes that he still owns the shares.

EDIT-Rood beat me to it.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Cool - quite a strange buy from him given he could've made money much faster elsewhere for the same exposure.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Could he? Where?

If he held onto the stock till it was over 19 he would have made an awfully big percentage.
All kinds of asset classes. We're in the middle of a multiple year bull market (well until this past week that is). 20% is decent, but there was no evidence it would be worth hanging on the stock during Moyes' tenure. There are stocks that make 50-100% gains (GPRO, TSLA and others) over short periods of time where he could've easily picked up more money - not that he needs it.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Cool - quite a strange buy from him given he could've made money much faster elsewhere for the same exposure.
he bought at c.$13 in August and could have sold c.$19 by Feb - that's a 45% uplift in 6 months!

I have vague recollections that Soros had sold his stake but cant find any confirmation of that so it is not clear if he is still a shareholder or not

Anyway the new story is that Baron Capital now own 5 times more stock than Soros ever did!

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Yeah it is quite interesting. They must think our shares are undervalued at $16. Hope they are in it for the long term, which appears to be the case from what I've been reading.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
All kinds of asset classes. We're in the middle of a multiple year bull market (well until this past week that is). 20% is decent, but there was no evidence it would be worth hanging on the stock during Moyes' tenure. There are stocks that make 50-100% gains (GPRO, TSLA and others) over short periods of time where he could've easily picked up more money - not that he needs it.
I meant other than the stock market.

Yes I know the market has been strong, if all you're saying is that there are stocks in existence that went up more then fair enough, we weren't the number one profit possible.

But one also must diversify so who says he didn't also invest in tesla, et cetera.

::sonny::

-20% in 1 yr.

Our management works well only in marketing

Last edited:

Simbo

Financially a disaster? Yeh......... no.

Our finances are fecking incredible.

I ain't no stock market expert but I think the price fluctuations on non-dividend paying shares are a poor indicator of financial performance. Its just affected by people gambling on the price of one share, not the performance of the business, or something.

::sonny::

I know only know that we sign players for big and sell for few

We spend too much in wages considering the quality of the players we have in the squad

Great marketing strategies, bad strategies during the transfers

pascell

We spend too much in wages considering the quality of the players we have in the squad

Which doesn't majorly affect share prices in the long run, we've only floated a certain % on the market iirc?

Brightonian

Look at the other teams there.

Financial performance is not the main driver behind price fluctuations for these sorts of shares.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Our stock trades are relatively very low in volume. That increases volatility. Nothing to see here.

Ban

You're mixing apples with oranges.

Trizy

Isn't feck all of the total % if the club on the market? Like less than 10%? I'd imagine it means absolutely nothing apart from figures on a screen.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Share price goes down - Means nothing

Share price goes up - All going tremendously well!

We've been shit on the field, lost out on CL football (particularly) etc, no wonder the price has reduced. If we get back in the CL next season, then things will tick upwards.

RedCurry

Our stock price, like any other stock price is based on our income and cash flows. The price we saw a year ago was based on assumption that we will qualify for CL in 2016-17, at least it seemed likely but we didn't. We lost a significant amount of revenue. At this time the speculation of us missing it again causing us to lose revenue from CL as well as adidas will make our stock plummet longer we stay outside of top 4.

Stock prices are a reality, especially for mature firms like ours.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Our stock price, like any other stock price is based on our income and cash flows. The price we saw a year ago was based on assumption that we will qualify for CL in 2016-17, at least it seemed likely but we didn't. We lost a significant amount of revenue. At this time the speculation of us missing it again causing us to lose revenue from CL as well as adidas will make our stock plummet longer we stay outside of top 4.

Stock prices are a reality, especially for mature firms like ours.
Our total revenue is growing. The price drop has mostly to do with the pound dropping. The fact that we started paying out a dividend in 2016 is probably a factor, as well.

Last edited:

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Hah, dominating Sporting CP once again.
:(

I own some Sporting CP stocks. I never had a financial motivation though, it was kinda like buying a scarf or a kit.

fellwin

It’s actually mostly to do with the currency that the stock is denominated in.

Since the stock is denominated in USD and most of Uniteds income is in GBP a weak pound will mean that that the income is worth less in USD thus lowering the value of the stock.

This is also why the Turkish clubs are up so much. The stocks are denominated in TRY but get a substantial part of income in EUR and since the TRY has been hammered since the coup that EUR income is worth much more.

So a Brexit angle is right after all.

RedCurry

Our total revenue is growing. The price drop has mostly to do with the pound dropping, therefore increasing expenses. The fact that we started paying out a dividend in 2016 is probably a factor, as well.
Pound is our presentation currency as well as our functional currency. It's the same for all our subsidiaries except the one in Ireland. Just to put things into perspective, our operating expense in the last quarter of 2016 is almost the same as last quarter of 2015.

Our fundamental value hasn't changed(well not as drastically as -20%) and the expected growth in revenue that we have seen through sponsorship is already built into the stock price. The price of the stock is falling and will continue to fall as the concerns about us not meeting/beating our earnings expectations(loss of CL money).

But having said all that, the GBP currency devaluation against USD has obviously made our numbers weaker + the rebalance from investors who are mandated to have eurozone stocks is going to potentially hurt us now as well as going forward. But these are macro conditions we cannot really control.

It presents an opportunity though for someone who believes that we will make it to CL because that will bring our price up to at least the same level as Dec 2015 but maybe even higher because our revenue is higher now.

steeeb

Isn't Brexit, us being based in the UK using GBP and a stock price being floated in USD the -20%?

Has no-one seen the USD vs GBP recently compared to last year?

McLovin

Bites pillows thinking of John Terry
I bought some at 13...was too cheap there. Sold it a few weeks ago at 15.

Liquidity is dog shite though.

Hoof the ball

Doesn't really tell the story.

The stock massively peaked in 2018 and was an overpriced stock at premium price. Price has dipped to true value, and then subsequently to the 2012 low value because it's being offered once more to buyers at a discount price. Since March it's climbing it's way back up to true market value. Markets are nothing if not algorithmic and designed to peak and dip to take out previous liquidity.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
That's like comparing a shit sandwich vs a super world class exclusive sandwich made by a world class chef using special ingredients, rarest cow breed on the planet for the meat and edible gold.

Skills

Snitch
The glazers need to start prioritising the shareholders now. We've spent 100s of millions and still achieved feck all. There's no point. Tighten the purses, become sustainable and deliver value to the stock holders.

Jezpeza

The glazers need to start prioritising the shareholders now. We've spent 100s of millions and still achieved feck all. There's no point. Tighten the purses, become sustainable and deliver value to the stock holders.
is this a troll post?