Manager Longevity and SAF

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
It is interesting watching City capitulate to Liverpool already this season and a manager that appears closer to the end then the start.

Then you consider that this man has been in the job for four years. Poch has recently been sacked and was in the position for a similar length of time and Mourinho as we know has 3rd year meltdowns...

Yet, one manager in the modern game, stood in that role for 26 years and the older he got, the more successful he got.

I generally think the man is not human. To have that much drive and ambition for so long in the most stressful job in football. I appreciated him when he was managing us, but the more time he spends away from the role, the sheer magnitude of what he achieved compared to others is starting to grow.

What a man, what a winner...

TheReligion

Abusive
What was even better about Fergie was he defeated everyone who came to challenge him and built team after team after team. Wenger, Mourinho, Mancini and mega money City. Literally everyone who had their moment was swiftly dispatched the following season or so.

He's also done it in a number of different eras to show his adaptability. The best ever.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
What was even better about Fergie was he defeated everyone who came to challenge him and built team after team after team. Wenger, Mourinho, Mancini and mega money City. Literally everyone who had their moment was swiftly dispatched the following season or so.

He's also done it in a number of different eras to show his adaptability. The best ever.
Almost. He never did get the better of Pep's Barca, annoyingly.

ExecutionerWasp001

Amazes me how anyone could think he isn't the GOAT. He would have gone down as 1 of the greats if his only achievement had been stopping the Old Firm domination in Scotland. He then decided to go 1 better & end Liverpool's domination in England. It's an insult to him when he's compared to the likes of Shankly, Paisley, Guardiola Mourinho et al as he was so much better.

Chairman Steve

He is the managerial equivalent of a Messi, Ronaldo, Pele or Maradona. People like him don’t just come around every week.

From our point of view, we shouldnt measure his successors against him. People hoping OGS can magically turn into him are going to be very disappointed.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I mean we did beat them in the Semi's on the way to the 08 win. But yes they certainly came out in top more often than not.
That was Rijkaard's Barca though. Pep made them a different animal very quickly. We only played them twice under Fergie, but Pep did us comprehensively both times.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Won't happen again. Managers have at most a few years, and then it seems to go downhill.

kidbob

Amazes me how anyone could think he isn't the GOAT. He would have gone down as 1 of the greats if his only achievement had been stopping the Old Firm domination in Scotland. He then decided to go 1 better & end Liverpool's domination in England. It's an insult to him when he's compared to the likes of Shankly, Paisley, Guardiola Mourinho et al as he was so much better.
Glad you mentioned the Old Firm. A somewhat forgotten achievement that ranks along what he did for United in my opinion. Anyone doubting that needs to look at the league winner history in Scotland. Also would a European trophy with Aberdeen while beating Real Madrid and if I remember correctly then was pissed at their performance in that game! As the OP alluded to the more years that pass the more incredible his longevity was.

Skills

Snitch
Won't happen again. Managers have at most a few years, and then it seems to go downhill.
When players cost over a £100m and a playing squad can take the best part of a £1bn to assemble, clubs have realised it's nothing short of stupid to "give the manager what he wants/needs". It's more efficient instead to give the players the manager they need, and that might change every year or 2 depending on the outlook of the squad.

stu_1992

That was Rijkaard's Barca though. Pep made them a different animal very quickly. We only played them twice under Fergie, but Pep did us comprehensively both times.
Ah yes you're right. For some reason I thought that Rijkaard was gone the previous season. I remember watching those games vividly so I'm not sure where I got confused along the way. :lol: