Manager sacked for saying his players would have to "get raped" to get penalties

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55901819

Stuart Baxter: Odisha sack boss for 'unacceptable' post-match comments

Indian Super League side Odisha have sacked English head coach Stuart Baxter after he made "completely unacceptable" comments in a post-match interview.

The 67-year-old made reference to rape as he criticised refereeing decisions following his side's 1-0 defeat by Jamshedpur.

Baxter previously managed the South Africa and Finland national sides as well as England's Under-19s.

Odisha said they had terminated his contract with immediate effect.

In a statement, the club said it was "appalled" by Baxter's comments.

"It is completely unacceptable whatever the context and does not reflect the values of the club," the statement continued.

"We, at Odisha FC, unreservedly apologise and the club management will handle this matter internally."

Baxter said he thought his players would have to "get raped" to be awarded penalties.
PC gone mad?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Whether or not a dismissal is harsh, one thing is for sure... it's a really stupid fecking thing to say

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I expect the match would be called off straight away and a police investigation launched if his players actually got raped in the box.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
No rape jokes before anyone thinks of posting one. Should go without saying really but have to post it as I know what some are like.

red4ever 79

The more interesting story over the past couple of days was Andre Villas Boas coming out and telling the club he didnt authorize signing the player from celtic, and then the club suspending him for disrepute.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Just checked, they're bottom of the table.

I suspect it's one of those things where if they're top it's not nearly as big a deal.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Is it a stupid thing to say? Absolutely.

Is it a sackable offence. Not in my book.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
Pretty terrible thing to say and especially irresponsible in a country like India which has a big problem with rape in society.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Sounds like they wanted rid of him anyway and this was the perfect excuse. Easy sacking and gives the club some positive PR.

Stupid by the manager though, especially in India right now where rape is a huge topic.

Mindhunter

Really daft thing to say especially in a country like India where we have seen the horrors of rape and how it impacts the victims and their families. I don't think he is aware of the local news and sensibilities of the people.

Neo_Mufc

Alan Pardew did something similar on MOTD and hasn't been asked back.

Rightly so.

Glorio

Agree - somehow I think if he said they'd have to get shot (which is serious in it's own right), it would weirdly not generate as strong a response.
Such a terrible and vulgar choice of words though, and you have to wonder what his psyche is like to land on rape of all things

Pagh Wraith

Interestingly from a linguistic point of view, had he said killed (one of the few things worse than rape), I think nobody would have taken issue that. Then again there are a lot of jokes involving the word 'kill' but not 'rape'. Incredibly stupid thing to say. Can't complain about the sack.

The Siege

Yeah this is pretty much the sentiment in India. A ban and apology was appropriate, the sacking is a bit harsh. I suppose the league not being very long + his general medicrity affects decisions like these.

a manager is in a post of responsibility, he needs to show leadership.

In any role, if you stated something similar publicly like this, you would expect to be sacked. Maybe that’s why he did it.

but no, it’s not PC gone mad.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

I'm almost sure that your book has more than one answer depending on context, for example is it a sackable offence if you don't like that person and wanted to part ways?

Oranges038

No. This is ridiculous thing to say

“I don’t know when we’re going to get a penalty. I think one of my players would have to rape someone or get raped himself if he was going to get a penalty.”
I'd like to know how he thinks a player commiting rape would get his side a penalty.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
I'm almost sure that your book has more than one answer depending on context, for example is it a sackable offence if you don't like that person and wanted to part ways?
No.

Then it would be one of many things that led to termination.

SER19

Completely idiotic comment, could have used hundreds of other phrases. Personally don't think people should lose jobs for isolated (I assume) incidences of saying something stupid unless its directed at an individual in an inappropriate or threatening way. But his bosses obviously feel differently

Alemar

No. This is ridiculous thing to say

“I don’t know when we’re going to get a penalty. I think one of my players would have to rape someone or get raped himself if he was going to get a penalty.”
It’s a wise move to dismiss such a manager - he is not very clever (and it’s bad for a team to have a stupid manager)

The Siege

Also important to note that the club haven't actually said that they've sacked him for making this comment. They have said it was unacceptable and they would take action, but it could have just been a shroud to sack him because he was rubbish.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
If he had said his players would have to "get killed" to get penalties, would it have created the same controversy?

I very much doubt so.

Haddock

They likely sacked him because Odisha are rubbish. The owner said that he was sacked for the post-match comments though. The club have also filed a complaint against a
ref for being “a serial offender in terms of decision making”.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Interestingly from a linguistic point of view, had he said killed (one of the few things worse than rape), I think nobody would have taken issue that. Then again there are a lot of jokes involving the word 'kill' but not 'rape'.
Last poll I saw determined that more people found sexual abuse harder to forgive than murder. It's a bit odd, but I suppose reflecting that there are about 10 times more rapes than murders in modern western societies.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Idiotic for you to type 'pc gone mad?'

Ffs. Rape isn't a joking matter, if you start making jokes like thst in your work place then you deserve to be fired.
Who is joking here?

An hyperbole can be used in a rather serious way, unless English is a completely different language to my mother language. Otherwise, yes, it's a case of PC completely gone mad.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
It's not even a good analogy because statistically most rapes go unpunished.

WakeAndBeek

One of the few times when a murder joke would’ve probably saved his job, should’ve stuck with the trusty “gone down like he’s been shot” :D