Manager sacked for saying his players would have to "get raped" to get penalties

Smores

Nah deserved sacking, shows a clear lack of ability to conduct himself as per the role demands.

I got a warning on here for using similar descriptive language actually and was spot on too. It's not acceptable language in a public environment, you might use use such language amongst mates but you wouldn't if you knew one had been impacted would you?

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Nah deserved sacking, shows a clear lack of ability to conduct himself as per the role demands.

I got a warning on here for using similar descriptive language actually and was spot on too. It's not acceptable language in a public environment, you might use use such language amongst mates but you wouldn't if you knew one had been impacted would you?
What you are saying is you should have been fired instead of warned?

mu4c_20le

Read this story yesterday and my first thought was the guy obviously didn't mean it literally, but maybe it's more sensitive given the country he's working in.

Hoof the ball

Not the best thing to say in this climate, but I have no qualms about stating that a good majority of the forum has (probably at multiple times) used the reference, "He raped that defender there," in the past.

harrington

Supports
Aston Villa
Beggars belief how some 'ladz' consider it 'harmless bantz' to take and use the word 'rape' outside of its usual context (depressingly, I immediately knew where to look for an example: the Spurs forum, TheFightingCock; a place that seems to be an almost completely unmoderated free-for-all: see replies #4 and #5 in this thread). It's precisely the belief that the word can be used in a light-hearted way that actually causes offence, but those who think it can be used that way can't seem to get their heads around that ("PC gone mad, mate").

izzydiggler

On a WhatsApp chat between mates yeah but as manager and public figure of a football club, you simply can’t say things like that and keep your job.

RedCurry

Is it a stupid thing to say? Absolutely.

Is it a sackable offence. Not in my book.
You should try that type of comment at your work and see if you survive the axe. It’s not acceptable anywhere.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Same for me. Fine him heavily or something but to fire him for that is OTT for me
He's an employee of the club and the club has deemed it a sackable offense because they don't want to be associated with someone who has said those things.

It's similar to how someone could get sacked by their employers for posting stupid racist posts on their Facebook.

If he wants to be able to say something as offensive as that, he should find a club that has no issues with their employees that say something like that.

RedDevil@84

Read this story yesterday and my first thought was the guy obviously didn't mean it literally, but maybe it's more sensitive given the country he's working in.
Not really. And I believe that the sacking might have something to do with team performance and also an off chance that the club has some clause in contract that they need not pay the full termination compensation if the manager is found to be guilty of gross misconduct.

Having said that, I think rape analogy should have big punishments. Sacking seems well deserved. Rape analogies should be up there with racist and Nazi comments.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
Beggars belief how some 'ladz' consider it 'harmless bantz' to take and use the word 'rape' outside of its usual context (depressingly, I immediately knew where to look for an example: the Spurs forum, TheFightingCock; a place that seems to be an almost completely unmoderated free-for-all: see replies #4 and #5 in this thread). It's precisely the belief that the word can be used in a light-hearted way that actually causes offence, but those who think it can be used that way can't seem to get their heads around that ("PC gone mad, mate").
2011 was basically the 1970s to be fair.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
If the coach had said "we got murdered by the referee", would he deserve to be sacked too? It's a genuine question, sensitivity and language change depending on the country, I just want to understand why this would be considered offensive or not.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
You should try that type of comment at your work and see if you survive the axe. It’s not acceptable anywhere.
How did you imagine I'd want to try that based on what I just wrote.

For what it's worth, I would not get fired for it if I did.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
If the coach had said "we got murdered by the referee", would he deserve to be sacked too? It's a genuine question, sensitivity and language change depending on the country, I just want to understand why this would be considered offensive or not.
No. “Murdered” is far more commonly used metaphorically. “Rape” is pretty much only ever used in the literal sense and is far more shocking.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
No. “Murdered” is far more commonly used metaphorically. “Rape” is pretty much only ever used in the literal sense and is far more shocking.
What about "my players would have to get killed/murdered for the referee to award a penalty"? No metaphor there. Rather an hyperbole.

RedCurry

How did you imagine I'd want to try that based on what I just wrote.

For what it's worth, I would not get fired for it if I did.
Ok my bad, I shouldn’t have put it like that. But it don’t think it’s acceptable in any workplace that I have been in. I don’t randomly hear “rape” being used in normal conversations and is quite jarring.

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
nah rape has been traditionally used for loot/plunder/strip someone of their honor. And wasn't always associated solely with the forced sexual attack.
Yes in recent times, the use of the word "rape" has gone down by miles.
For example, one of the most iconic and famous movies in Indian Cinema, 3 Idiots, had a scene where the main character changes the word "chamatkar: meaning miracle" with "balatkar: meaning rape" for showing his friend the consequences of just mugging up/memorising books without understanding what it means. Leading to his arch rival who is a prolific mugger, memorising that changed script leading to a scene where he embarrasses himself unwittingly.
At the time of release, there were hardly any protests against it, rather it was considered the one of the funniest scenes.
But as time went on, it is now a very controversial scene, with many calling it rape glorifying/rape normalising and so on. I don't think it is any of that, because its context was never rape glorification, but you get the picture. That scene in today's world is seen as disgusting by a section of people.
Although obviously in this Odisha coach context, dude was literal, and his sentence didn't seem like some misplaced figure of speech, and more like trivialising rape.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He's an employee of the club and the club has deemed it a sackable offense because they don't want to be associated with someone who has said those things.

It's similar to how someone could get sacked by their employers for posting stupid racist posts on their Facebook.

If he wants to be able to say something as offensive as that, he should find a club that has no issues with their employees that say something like that.
You didn't need to tell me all of that tbh. I just said what I thought of it and that's it

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
nah rape has been traditionally used for loot/plunder/strip someone of their honor. And wasn't always associated solely with the forced sexual attack.
Yes in recent times, the use of the word "rape" has gone down by miles.
In an Anglo context “rape” has always been almost exclusively used in the context of sexual assault for decades (at the least).

It’s kind of like “holocaust”. Although technically the word predates the historical event, it’s such a triggering word that using it casually in any other context would be inappropriate and unnecessary.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Stupid thing to say in an environment where anything even marginally offensive could make you lose your job and labeled.

RashyForPM

Stupid thing to say, and coupled with his team’s performance, he deserved to get sacked. Use ‘punched’ or ‘knock out’, not the r word you complete fool.