Managerial Turnover

Skills

Snitch
Why is our fanbase (driven by the media) so over-dramatic about the number of managers we've had since Fergie? We've had 4 managers in the 7 years since, and each one has been sacked only after he's completely shit the bed.

In that time period :

Real Madrid : 6 managers (5 if you say Solari was always a caretaker)
Barcelona : 4 managers
Juventus : 3 managers
Chelsea : 4 managers
Bayern Munich : 3 managers
Dortmund : 4 managers
Spurs : 4 managers

Most of these clubs have actually been successful in that time period, yet are still running through their fair share of managers. How many do you think they would've gone through, had they been on course to finish 5 of the last 8 seasons outside of the top 4 - that too after letting each manager spend £100s of millions in transfer fees. What they actually have done is, sacked them at the right time rather than giving the manager enough time to completely sink the ship.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
You've answered your own question within your question.

Since Fergie.

The media lived in fear of Sir Alex. Put a foot wrong and they'd end up like the beeb: banned to feck.

Now that he's not around they take every opportunity to put the boot in as revenge and also knowing that none of the managers we've had since (not the club) would ever take as strong a stance.

swedishgloryhunter

It's because the expectations were high post fergie and it's not been that long ago we got a title. Another few years without a title and we're right we're Liverpool fans has been the last 20 years.
Media will always find a way to fire up since it sells.
Nobody cares if ole is a nice guy and probably a decent manager.

Coops73

You've answered your own question within your question.

Since Fergie.

The media lived in fear of Sir Alex. Put a foot wrong and they'd end up like the beeb: banned to feck.

Now that he's not around they take every opportunity to put the boot in as revenge and also knowing that none of the managers we've had since (not the club) would ever take as strong a stance.
Kind of agree with that, though the landscape of journalism has changed since Fergie was in charge i also believe that there is a sense of being kicked while we’re down...obviously Ashton is now very sorry and promises to make it all better.

TsuWave

“United way”
“Back the manager”
“Imagine if we had sacked Fergie in 900B.C”

For some reason United Is not supposed to operate like most elite clubs, which ironically enough is partly why we find ourselves in this malaise.

b82REZ

As much as I love and respect the man, I do feel SAFs farewell speech did more harm than good.

I know I was reluctant to publically voice displeasure with Moyes and even when I did with LvG I felt I was somehow wrong for doing so. Looking back that was borne out of some sort of sense of duty to Fergie's last request.

Unfortunately SAFs own modesty means he probably doesn't fully appreciate how much of one off he was and seems to think he got to where he was due to time, which is why many posters on here preach the patience=success rhetoric.

USREDEVIL

Sir Alex was an anomaly. We are only realizing that in full now. Takes a while to find the correct fit. Check around at other top clubs.

mu4c_20le

Why is our fanbase (driven by social media) so obsessed with sacking a manager in mid-season? Would've been a better question for a thread

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Why is our fanbase (driven by the media) so over-dramatic about the number of managers we've had since Fergie? We've had 4 managers in the 7 years since, and each one has been sacked only after he's completely shit the bed.

In that time period :

Real Madrid : 6 managers (5 if you say Solari was always a caretaker)
Barcelona : 4 managers
Juventus : 3 managers
Chelsea : 4 managers
Bayern Munich : 3 managers
Dortmund : 4 managers
Spurs : 4 managers

Most of these clubs have actually been successful in that time period, yet are still running through their fair share of managers. How many do you think they would've gone through, had they been on course to finish 5 of the last 8 seasons outside of the top 4 - that too after letting each manager spend £100s of millions in transfer fees. What they actually have done is, sacked them at the right time rather than giving the manager enough time to completely sink the ship.
It’s funny but the only two managers that media didn’t crucify were Moyes and Ole.
It’s almost as if clearly out of their depth managers get a free a free pass

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Why is our fanbase (driven by social media) so obsessed with sacking a manager in mid-season? Would've been a better question for a thread
8th behind clubs that have sacked their managers mid-season, worst points total for 30 years, numerous embarrassing losses to smaller clubs, awful football on show, parking the bus at home.... erm not sure..?

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Start this thread on your own and you will get your answers.

mu4c_20le

8th behind clubs that have sacked their managers mid-season, worst points total for 30 years, numerous embarrassing losses to smaller clubs, awful football on show, parking the bus at home.... erm not sure..?
Everything you just said, minus worse points total, applied to Mourinho's 2nd season. If managers should be sacked because of embarrassing results, he shouldn't been gone after Sevilla, because the football was absolute shite with no desire to improve, and he had a much better squad than Solskjaer. He was fully backed by the board.

b82REZ

Everything you just said, minus worse points total, applied to Mourinho's 2nd season. If managers should be sacked because of embarrassing results, he shouldn't been gone after Sevilla, because the football was absolute shite with no desire to improve, and he had a much better squad than Solskjaer. He was fully backed by the board.
I was going to retort, then I saw the Ole in your username and knew I'd have better luck knotting fog.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
United fans are a really patient lot. And some of the fanbase are outright deluded too.
I was going to retort, then I saw the Ole in your username and knew I'd have better luck knotting fog.
This.

edcunited1878

The teams you listed have better quality players and have a higher floor exclusive of manager. Spurs have had their most successful era the past 3 to 5 years, but they haven't won anything and have again, better quality players who have played together through multiple seasons.

United aren't in the same boat because player quality hasn't be good enough or consistent enough throughout the managerial changes. The teams listed are also better at identifying, recruiting, buying, selling, and replacing players better than United...which again is something not always related to the manager.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
And that is relevant how? Mourinho wasn't 8th though was he? That bought him time. It's not just embarrassing results, like I said, everything else has been shocking too.

mu4c_20le

And that is relevant how? Mourinho wasn't 8th though was he? That bought him time. It's not just embarrassing results, like I said, everything else has been shocking too.
It's relevant because he was also our manager, and we experienced firsthand the ups and downs of his reign. Other than league position, he was everything Ole is being accused of right now. And lets be honest, while its nice to be high up the table rather than not, we were always trailing City 10-15 pts and had no chance in the league. And those teams that changed their managers, they were all in free fall and forced the owners hands. Arsenal players were openly mocking Emery behind his back, etc. I still dont see why Ole should be sacked now, it makes as much sense as offering him an extension when we were sitting in 5th after beating Spurs and City back to back despite all the injuries.

RUCK4444

“United way”
“Back the manager”
“Imagine if we had sacked Fergie in 900B.C”

For some reason United Is not supposed to operate like most elite clubs, which ironically enough is partly why we find ourselves in this malaise.
Yes because going through dozens of shite managers and spending hundreds of millions more each time would have made our current situation much better.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
It's relevant because he was also our manager, and we experienced firsthand the ups and downs of his reign. Other than league position, he was everything Ole is being accused of right now. And lets be honest, while its nice to be high up the table rather than not, we were always trailing City 10-15 pts and had no chance in the league. And those teams that changed their managers, they were all in free fall and forced the owners hands. Arsenal players were openly mocking Emery behind his back, etc. I still dont see why Ole should be sacked now, it makes as much sense as offering him an extension when we were sitting in 5th after beating Spurs and City back to back despite all the injuries.
I agree with you there & If you went back to the threads at the time, I'm sure you would find countless people calling for Mourinho to be sacked regardless of his results, because like you pointed out, the football was shocking. I was one of those people.

His results though bought him time within the club, that's the difference. The Glazers only care about top 4. Regardless of Ole's tumescent football, if he was making top 4 also, his job would be safe too.

I don't care whether he's sacked today or at the end of the season either. As long as as we are proactive & make the right decisions.

If we agree a deal with the right manager behind the scenes, then results withstanding, let Ole see out the rest of the season, stepping down by mutual consent at the end. That would be the ideal scenario to me.

The Bloody-Nine

He is also one of the most successful managers of all time. That buys time.

Ole? He's far from it.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Its because our 2 most succesfull spells in our history have been with longterm managers in Matt Busby and Saf. We cling to idea it's going to happen again if we give our managers enough time despite whatever happens on the pitch.

mu4c_20le

I agree with you there & If you went back to the threads at the time, I'm sure you would find countless people calling for Mourinho to be sacked regardless of his results, because like you pointed out, the football was shocking. I was one of those people.

His results though bought him time within the club, that's the difference. The Glazers only care about top 4. Regardless of Ole's tumescent football, if he was making top 4 also, his job would be safe too.

I don't care whether he's sacked today or at the end of the season either. As long as as we are proactive & make the right decisions.

If we agree a deal with the right manager behind the scenes, then results withstanding, let Ole see out the rest of the season, stepping down by mutual consent at the end. That would be the ideal scenario to me.
Thank you, thats a fair and sensible post. They both don't appear to be good enough, but with no chance of Poch or Allegri stepping in mid season, it makes little sense to relieve him of his duties now and give it to Phelan, and pray for a little bounce to survive the next set of fixtures. If Poch was available right now, then it'd be a more serious and valid question.

Gehrman

I looked at the table regularly when SAF was in charge and in the early days we were worse than now
Yeah and every failing manager can invoke SAF and say, it took Saf 6 years to win the league so I deserve 6 years too.

Maybe Moyes would have improved if he had seen out his 6 year contract, but im fecking happy that's he's not our manager anymore.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Because other tier A clubs don't have long term projects( and i am not ironic here). They operate on the way that long term means THIS season. Their goal is to be first every year. They evaluate players only on one way; are you good enough or not. They don't care about local lads, they don't search for players who are "Barca( Real, Bayern, Juve) through and through, their primary stats for players are quality not "desire, attitude or passion", they don't keep players just because they were good servants for club etc...
That is the way how big club must operate. Players and managers are there to do the job. If they can't do it they replace them.

We are stuck in the past. We had one football anomaly in Fergie. Something what happens to one club among 100 clubs. But our fans compare now everything with Fergie era.

TsuWave

Yes because going through dozens of shite managers and spending hundreds of millions more each time would have made our current situation much better.
The implication was that we shouldn't appoint shite managers. And if that does happen, we should remedy the situation as soon as, instead of doing prayer circle and hoping the spirit of Fergie will manifest in said shite managers and they will suddenly evolve like Pokemon.

Fitchett

Busby and Ferguson are our two most successful managers. Busby was appointed in mid 1945 and won his first league title in 1952. Ferguson was appointed in late 1986 and won his first league title in 1993. So, it took both those greats in excess of six years to build a title winning side. Solskjaer has been in post for 14 months, so give the guy a chance to build a title winning side. He's on the right track, after embarking on a major clear out of the mess which has taken place since the sale of Ronaldo in 2009. That's a mess created under the watch of Ferguson, Moyes, Van Gaal and Mourinho.

mu4c_20le

Yeah and every failing manager can invoke SAF and say, it took Saf 6 years to win the league so I deserve 6 years too.

Maybe Moyes would have improved if he had seen out his 6 year contract, but im fecking happy that's he's not our manager anymore.
If Ole can turn it around, I think he deserves one more real transfer window. He inherited a big mess that other managers might have turned up their noses at, Poch included. When Jose took over lvg's squad, at least he didn't struggle to get rid of overpaid unmotivated deadwood. He was gifted with a Pogba and then a few other big signings.

Paul_Scholes18

Busby and Ferguson are our two most successful managers. Busby was appointed in mid 1945 and won his first league title in 1952. Ferguson was appointed in late 1986 and won his first league title in 1993. So, it took both those greats in excess of six years to build a title winning side. Solskjaer has been in post for 14 months, so give the guy a chance to build a title winning side. He's on the right track, after embarking on a major clear out of the mess which has taken place since the sale of Ronaldo in 2009. That's a mess created under the watch of Ferguson, Moyes, Van Gaal and Mourinho.
What is on the right track? I feel he is totally on the wrong track.
Not seen anything to suggest he will take us to the top.

Gehrman

If Ole can turn it around, I think he deserves one more real transfer window. He inherited a big mess that other managers might have turned up their noses at, Poch included. When Jose took over lvg's squad, at least he didn't struggle to get rid of overpaid unmotivated deadwood. He was gifted with a Pogba and then a few other big signings.
Apart from Ole's intial great 15 game spell as interim I dont feel he deserves to manage Man Utd at all.