Managers most at risk of being fired 22/23 Season

justsomebloke

Which managers do you think starts the season with the least distance to the tip of the plank, and why?

Mine, in no particular order:

Frank Lampard, Everton. He always seemed to me a bizarre choice for the task of turning an above-average squad into a more functional team, and though he avoided the drop what he achieved cannot inspire much confidence. I don't think it's going to take many weak early season games before they conclude something must be done. Also, there's new management and probably new owners, which in itself always adds to the insecurity for the manager.

Ralf Hasenhüttl, Southampton. Though he is widely respected, surely there is by now a sense of stagnation, with ominous notes of an impending downturn as confidence evaporates? Though the Saints have been very good for limited stretches, there has not really been progress over the past three seasons - they look as much like a "roughly 13th-15th" team now as ever before. I think he's vulnerable.

Brendan Rodgers, Leicester. His good results in previous seasons saw him safely through last season's difficulties, but will that last if the Foxes get off to a bad start again? Or does the club then conclude that he's lost the dressing room?

And of course, all three managers of the newly promoted teams. Simply because in all likelihood they will find themselves mired in the relegation battle from the beginning, and desperation often breeds sacking.

youmeletsfly

Which managers do you think starts the season with the least distance to the tip of the plank, and why?

Mine, in no particular order:

Frank Lampard, Everton. He always seemed to me a bizarre choice for the task of turning an above-average squad into a more functional team, and though he avoided the drop what he achieved cannot inspire much confidence. I don't think it's going to take many weak early season games before they conclude something must be done. Also, there's new management and probably new owners, which in itself always adds to the insecurity for the manager.

Ralf Hasenhüttl, Southampton. Though he is widely respected, surely there is by now a sense of stagnation, with ominous notes of an impending downturn as confidence evaporates? Though the Saints have been very good for limited stretches, there has not really been progress over the past three seasons - they look as much like a "roughly 13th-15th" team now as ever before. I think he's vulnerable.

Brendan Rodgers, Leicester. His good results in previous seasons saw him safely through last season's difficulties, but will that last if the Foxes get off to a bad start again? Or does the club then conclude that he's lost the dressing room?

And of course, all three managers of the newly promoted teams. Simply because in all likelihood they will find themselves mired in the relegation battle from the beginning, and desperation often breeds sacking.
1. Arteta -> Won't be in the job in December. I can't wait for that cringefest fecker to piss off to Spain.
2. Lampard -> Like most British managers, utter wank. Great and likeable guy, but piss poor as manager.
3. Hasenhüttl -> Not a bad coach but plays too open for the EPL and that will have only one result.

Very very odd and random shouts:
4. Potter -> I just have a feeling Brighton will go down
5. Bruno Lage -> Just don't like the name

Extremely odd shouts:
6. Klopp -> I have a very weird feeling about them this season. I don't think they'll do well. Hope it ain't a jinx.
7. Conte -> Will he implode or not?

Posh Red

1. Arteta -> Won't be in the job in December. I can't wait for that cringefest fecker to piss off to Spain.
2. Lampard -> Like most British managers, utter wank. Great and likeable guy, but piss poor as manager.
3. Hasenhüttl -> Not a bad coach but plays too open for the EPL and that will have only one result.

Very very odd and random shouts:
4. Potter -> I just have a feeling Brighton will go down
5. Bruno Lage -> Just don't like the name

Extremely odd shouts:
6. Klopp -> I have a very weird feeling about them this season. I don't think they'll do well. Hope it ain't a jinx.
7. Conte -> Will he implode or not?
I can honestly say I’ve never considered Frank to be a great and likeable guy. Quite the opposite, in fact!

Cloud7

I genuinely think Arteta is one of the most secure managers in the league. I'm not saying that's correct, but the Arsenal board seem determined to persist with him no matter what.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Marco Silva at Fulham, Lampard at Everton and Marsh at Leeds

I do also think that this is the season it properly falls apart for Arteta.

Patrick Viera, did a brilliant job last season, played good football everyone liked them. This year it is all downhill, not backed by the board, a tough start and a few injuries and he will be under pressure. He might kick another fan and say "feck this" and walk off.
Unless of course he spends 50m on AWB and they soar up to 7th in the table.
No pressure Patrick :)

diarm

I reckon Eddie Howe did a fantastic job last year and I'd have made him manager of the season. But they flew under the radar a bit and even though they were playing well, teams showed up there thinking they were going up against relegation fodder.

This year, after signing well this summer, there will be a bit of a target on their backs and they may not find things so easy. If they're treading water down in the bottom half come Christmas, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the Saudis getting itchy fingers.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Brendan Rodgers could be on thin ice this season at Leicester. Not only did Leicester underwhelm last season but their defending of set plays was horrendous & for me this is a direct reflection on the manager.
Leicester seem to be a tad cash shy right now though so maybe wont be too keen to pull the trigger & pay out Rodgers contract.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Lampard, Marsh then Arteta

Dolf

I think the opposite of Arteta. He will be their new Wenger. Getting 4th or 5th every year and winning the Fa cup every now and then. Will be sacked in 2026.

Revaulx

I genuinely think Arteta is one of the most secure managers in the league. I'm not saying that's correct, but the Arsenal board seem determined to persist with him no matter what.
Not sure about that.

He seems to have been a key figure in the “Cultural Reset” that Arsenal have been undergoing. That’s surely all but done now though, and they’ve been spending serious dosh on new players.

If Mr Lego fails to kick on with them, I can’t see why they’d hang onto him.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
A Chelsea manager not featuring heavily in one of these is a new feeling tbh.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
I reckon Eddie Howe did a fantastic job last year and I'd have made him manager of the season. But they flew under the radar a bit and even though they were playing well, teams showed up there thinking they were going up against relegation fodder.

This year, after signing well this summer, there will be a bit of a target on their backs and they may not find things so easy. If they're treading water down in the bottom half come Christmas, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the Saudis getting itchy fingers.
Agree with you here.

Think the only "Safe" managers are Pep, Klopp, Conte and ETH (although I think it's possible Conte would quit).

Brighton would be mad to sack Potter.

Arteta is under pressure because he's had time and money and hasn't made top 4.

Things could go pear shaped quite quickly for Lampard.

Patience must be wearing thin with Rodgers at Leicester.

Gerrard/Villa have spent a lot of money and expectations will be high there too, I'm sure the owners will be hoping for a European place next season.

Marsch barely made it through the end of last season.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Steven Gerrard. Villa were pretty shit in the second half of the year, I don't see any reason to think he has them on the upswing or ready to play much better football. But its pretty clear that the ownership has spent all this money with the goal of establishing a West Ham-like position just outside the top six. If they start slow, and they definitely might, I can see the sack coming. They did it to Smith last year, they won't give Gerrard that much more patience.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Brendan has stated that he would die for Leicester so I dont think he will get fired. A great character with loyalty.

Cloud7

Not sure about that.

He seems to have been a key figure in the “Cultural Reset” that Arsenal have been undergoing. That’s surely all but done now though, and they’ve been spending serious dosh on new players.

If Mr Lego fails to kick on with them, I can’t see why they’d hang onto him.
That would be the logical approach however I have not seen logic applied to the Arteta project and the way it is assessed for quite some time now. As for the bolded I can’t even see why they have hung on to him thus far, and it’s hardly likely that he’s going to manage to do worse than he has been doing, meaning that I don’t think Leicester are going to surpass them, and in terms of being near the bottom of the top 6 it doesn’t seem like anyone in and around Arsenal have a problem with that.

So all of this is to say that I will stick by my prediction that Arteta is one of the most secure managers in the league. I would be very surprised if the coming months show differently.

bringbackbebe

Rodgers. Fans are turning against him and that's never a good thing. It's going to be Ole situation all over there with a few bad results at the start of the season.