Manager's Press Conference | Watford v Manchester United | Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | Premier League

tomaldinho1

Every single presser is the same. He’s so low energy now but same answers to same questions. I really think managers shouldn’t need to do so many pressers.

Back To Madeira

For Ole to save his job, he has to answer the questions we had going into the season. The difference now is he no longer gets the benefit the doubt. He needs to win games and win them with control.

1) he has to prove that he's capable of managing this group of players.
2) he has to show a clear system that we are playing with.
3) he has to show that our team is capable of consistently breaking down low blocks.
4) He has to show that we can move the ball out from the back without too much hesitation, it's been a struggle throughout his tenure outside of project restart.
5) he has to win a consistent run of games between now and at least january( with draw allowances on the Chelsea game)

If he manages to do all these things and stays past January, he has to win a meaningful trophy.. FA Cup or Champions League whilst securing top 4.

If he can do all these things, then we would have a manager with a clear tactical system, who can manage big egos, can win games with his style and can win trophies.
I still have that faint hope that the stars somehow align and he pulls off a di Matteo against all odds.

Frank Grimes

He looks drained, beaten. Feel a bit sorry for him to be honest.

Nothing is good about this situation for anybody involved, him included.

Tomorrow we will see if he still has the players playing for him or if they are willing to down tools like some of them have for previous managers when things get bad.
Think you underestimate Ole, he is a tough cookie. The break will have done him well. A few wins and all will be forgiven, if not forgotten. Imperative we win tomorrow though or else he can have no complaints.

arthurka

Yeah good, pressure, players want to play, away record good, everybody good . Some shit like that.

matt23

Apparently we're going to 'see a reaction' - probably to being a goal down early I'd imagine.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
For Ole to save his job, he has to answer the questions we had going into the season. The difference now is he no longer gets the benefit the doubt. He needs to win games and win them with control.

1) he has to prove that he's capable of managing this group of players.
2) he has to show a clear system that we are playing with.
3) he has to show that our team is capable of consistently breaking down low blocks.
4) He has to show that we can move the ball out from the back without too much hesitation, it's been a struggle throughout his tenure outside of project restart.
5) he has to win a consistent run of games between now and at least january( with draw allowances on the Chelsea game)

If he manages to do all these things and stays past January, he has to win a meaningful trophy.. FA Cup or Champions League whilst securing top 4.

If he can do all these things, then we would have a manager with a clear tactical system, who can manage big egos, can win games with his style and can win trophies.
Come on mate, if he could do all these things, we wouldn't be in the mess we are now.

Do you still believe he can turn this around? The only way he has any chance of turning it around is if he gets rid of all the coaching staff and gets some people in who really know what they are doing.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Haven't watched it. If someone has watched it, please let me know if there is anything different to what's mentioned below

Boys had a nice break and we are raring to go.

Donny is training well and people have to wait for their chances. Noone has been on bench like me.

We are all waiting for Pogba to come back and help us.

Ronaldo is a brilliant player and I am glad to have him in my team.

We are still trying with Jesse and hope we can change his mind . I will give him minutes and he deserves it.

Criticism is part of this club . If you are a club captain you will always be scrutinized. Think Harry had a brilliant 2 games and we all want him ready tomorrow.

I always have my management support. I am no way feeling insecure. Yes, the results has to improve starting tomorrow. Boys are ready to show who we are. We will show a real fight against a mighty Watford
You probably didn’t try to be funny, but I laughed how incredibly Ole these quotes are :lol:

Bondi77

Journos need to get their act together and think of questions that do not generate the same scripted answers that Ole always falls back on.

tjb

Come on mate, if he could do all these things, we wouldn't be in the mess we are now.

Do you still believe he can turn this around? The only way he has any chance of turning it around is if he gets rid of all the coaching staff and gets some people in who really know what they are doing.
I don't believe he can. In fact, I've wanted him gone since the Liverpool game. Those are the expectations we should have for any manager imo and we never really set those for him. I don't believe most managers can achieve what I'm asking either, but for him to keep his job, he will have to do these near impossible things

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
It’s the “the problems are just ephemeral things that can happen to players/teams, like not getting the rub of the green or winning 50/50s or hitting the bar etc etc” type shit that gets me…. Stop saying it. It makes you sounds imbecilic in 2021.

He doesn’t have to give away any in-depth complicated tactical plans (though plenty of top managers are more than happy to talk about that stuff) he just needs to stop saying stuff that sounds like he has no idea how top flight football has worked for about 50 years! Stuff that makes him very much sound like the thing we’re not allowed to call him on the this forum anymore…. Something that’d be a hell of a lot easier if he didn’t keep coming out with this Mike Bassett shit… Just. Stop. It. Please!

Last edited:

RUCK4444

Think you underestimate Ole, he is a tough cookie. The break will have done him well. A few wins and all will be forgiven, if not forgotten. Imperative we win tomorrow though or else he can have no complaints.
I don’t underestimate him, I’ve also posted that I wouldn’t be surprised at all if we went on a good run.

But you can see the different look on his face, the look that a few seasons here does to a manager. He looked dreadful.

Red Rash

In my opinion one of the worst parts of the press conference was when he said "sometimes you hit the post and it goes out, other times you hit the post and it goes in".

Especially after we got absolutely dominated against City and didn't even test their keeper. It's almost like he feels the recent results have been due to bad luck rather than terrible performances where we have been made to look like amateurs.

We really need to put Ole out of his misery because this is just depressing for everyone now.

The most annoying thing is I can barely trying anything new and we will end up with McFred in midfield again.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
Thanks to the Glazers and the inept board, and despite my best efforts, I am finding Ole irritating now. I love the guy, and if he'd been sacked as he should have been I'd have said thanks for all you did and best of luck. Now his comments just seem ridiculous and lack any sort of depth or authority. We've heard the same shite so many times and nothing changes. "Working on a few things" "Had a good week of training" - gimme a break. He's just had 9 days off. So basically he's had 3 days with most of the squad. He needs to go.

Rhetorik

Ole mentioned we were good in training about 4 times in this presser. I would ask him what constitutes a good training session because we are not seeing any improvements.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
What he really needs to say is 'the players have been training poorly, they can't defend for toffee, they care nearly as less as me'
I mean that would be a brilliant presser wouldn't it?
Is that what people expect or actually want to hear from these press conferences??

People need to really understand what these press conferences are for :lol: and stop getting so agitated by them!!

wolvored

One foreign journalist asked him about the media and speculation around him over the last 2 weeks, but he never really answered. Was in touch with the board coaches players, all want to move forward together blah blah blah

Maniron

I don’t underestimate him, I’ve also posted that I wouldn’t be surprised at all if we went on a good run.

But you can see the different look on his face, the look that a few seasons here does to a manager. He looked dreadful.
Yes, the pressure to succeed is enormous. Very few are able to deal with the flak that comes their way if they aren't winning trophies.

Is there a more pressurised job in the whole of football?

RUCK4444

Yes, the pressure to succeed is enormous. Very few are able to deal with the flak that comes their way if they aren't winning trophies.

Is there a more pressurised job in the whole of football?
I think it could be argued both ways, it’s one of the biggest jobs in world football and with every passing year the pressure for trophies increases, but the media is what creates a lot of the pressure, every little detail is enough for a headline article when it’s Manchester United. That’s the part that would get to me I think.

On the other hand this club is perhaps the only club where a manager gets free reign and a lot of time more often than not from the board/owners.

Either way it’s absolutely chewed up managers like Mourinho and the rest who all leave here looking a decade older.

Denis79

A few wins won't erase the humiiation we suffered to our fiercest rivals. Watford are a poor squad with a shitty home-record, hopefully we'll do well. With Ole it's always hope and never faith though.

Bertie 2 Hats

Ole to Greta Thunberg.. "Hey Greta, what do you think of my Manager's Press Conference today.?" ... Greta Thunberg to Ole.. " Blah.. Blah.. Blah.." :D

minoo-utd

Smile, and everything is okay, players and stuff trying to do better and they are very professional, smile and over.

marcus agrippa

I'll never forgive 5-0 loss to Liverpool at home.

21% of our home losses in the Premiership under this manager. And it's only going to get worse.

By far the worst manager we've had since Fergie left.

Drawfull

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
It’s the “the problems are just ephemeral things that can happen to players/teams, like not getting the rub of the green or winning 50/50s or hitting the bar etc etc” type shit that gets me…. Stop saying it. It makes you sounds imbecilic in 2021.

He doesn’t have to give away any in-depth complicated tactical plans (though plenty of top managers are more than happy to talk about that stuff) he just needs to stop saying stuff that sounds like he has no idea how top flight football has worked for about 50 years! Stuff that makes him very much sound like the thing we’re not allowed to call him on the this forum anymore…. Something that’d be a hell of a lot easier if he didn’t keep coming out with this Mike Bassett shit… Just. Stop. It. Please!
This is true. The generic football cliché bingo doesn’t work if you look clueless out on the pitch. You could understand it if they were true but they aren’t!

captaincantona

Did anyone cop...when asked about feeling safe in the job... he says “ we've been communicating openly and honestly. There's one game that matters and what goes on after that.”....am I clutching at straws or is he suggesting that he is focusing on the next game and we will see what happens next? Is something lined up? Are we going to be getting a smooth and amicable transition to a new gaffer and the Watford match just came too soon so Ole is taking one for the team literally??? Am I just a desperate gobshite?....yes...yes I am.

AndySmith1990

I can't stand listening to him anymore. In Solskjaer's world everything can be achieved with luck, trying hard, and positive vibes. He never talks about football in any meaningful or knowledgeable way. Literally never. He's the physical manifestation of that famously insightful quote "I am a firm believer that if you score one goal the other team have to score two to win"

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Do journalists even ask questions?

clarkydaz

I can't stand listening to him anymore. In Solskjaer's world everything can be achieved with luck, trying hard, and positive vibes. He never talks about football in any meaningful or knowledgeable way. Literally never. He's the physical manifestation of that famously insightful quote "I am a firm believer that if you score one goal the other team have to score two to win"
To be fair he knows they want him repalced and he has to still go through all this putting a brave face on. He shouldnt be there having to do these anymore