Managers who have resigned

Needham

Lot of wishful thinking going on that Ole will thrown in his own towel. Hardly ever happens.

Off the top of my head, Neil Lennon earlier this year and Keegan in 2000 are two of the few high profile football managers who had the character to do it.
Happens in the lower leagues when the chairman wants to play his nephew and sit in the dugout next to his Friday night piece. But not when the payoff is more than a year whoring for Qatar.
Any other top managers ever had the cojones to resign?

Trezeguet17

Klopp, Tuchel, Rangnick and Favre come to mind. Maybe it is more common in the Bundesliga?

Angelinho

Gordon Strachan resigned from Middlesborough without taking a penny in compensation in 2010.

Winrar

Didn't Conte do this a few times as well after falling out with the board at multiple clubs?

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Marcelo Bielsa is the first name that comes to mind...
Also, van Gaal resigned as the head coach of Barcelona in 2000, the technical director of Ajax in 2004 and there were speculations that he offered to resign as the manager of United in January 2016.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Zidane, my favorite player and best ever for me and glad to see he also has so much integrity as a manager.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Zidane, my favorite player and best ever for me and glad to see he also has so much integrity as a manager.
Yep up there for me too as one of if not the best midfielder I’ve seen play. It’s another reason I wouldn’t want to see him take over as united’s mgr. First I would hate to root against him, second it would be sad watching him get abuse from the support if he fails given he isn’t an ex player nor has any affiliation with the club in the past.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yep up there for me too as one of if not the best midfielder I’ve seen play. It’s another reason I wouldn’t want to see him take over as united’s mgr. First I would hate to root against him, second it would be sad watching him get abuse from the support if he fails given he isn’t an ex player nor has any affiliation with the club in the past.
Yeah because ex player isn't getting the abuse :lol:

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Yeah because ex player isn't getting the abuse :lol:
The abuse Jose got from you lot was worse than Ole’s and you know it. You were calling him everything. Not so with this mgr and I get it. Zidane will get called the same crap if he fails so he doesn’t belong here and quite frankly I think Ole needs more time. A lot more time

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
The abuse Jose got from you lot was worse than Ole’s and you know it. You were calling him everything. Not so with this mgr and I get it. Zidane will get called the same crap if he fails so he doesn’t belong here and quite frankly I think Ole needs more time. A lot more time
So Ole isn't getting the level of abuse that Jose got, wonder why? Maybe because one was a toxic cnut and other is a incompetent coach.

Did Van Gaal or Moyes get as much abuse as Jose? Were they ex ManUtd players too ?

FatTails

Ole is on a long contract that just got renewed and he still believes he is close to something good here. Why would he resign?

If the club don’t share that belief, then they can terminate his contract and pay accordingly.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
So Ole isn't getting the level of abuse that Jose got, wonder why? Maybe because one was a toxic cnut and other is a incompetent coach.

Did Van Gaal or Moyes get as much abuse as Jose? Were they ex ManUtd players too ?
I wasn’t pretty was it with those two. Anyway all I’m saying is I wouldn’t want to see Zidane at United and not because I think he would be a success. It would just be horrible watching him destroyed by a base that seems to be running out of patience.

Iowa Red

Ole didn't become the footballer he was from a lack of self-belief or confidence. You and I may think he is not up to the job, but in his mind, he still believes and is confident about his chances. Not sure why folks are heaping abuse on Ole for not resigning.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Ole is on a long contract that just got renewed and he still believes he is close to something good here. Why would he resign?

If the club don’t share that belief, then they can terminate his contract and pay accordingly.
True, but people need to stop with this idea that Ole loves United more than himself.

I read on here that he has put United's interest above his own, just complete rubbish.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
True, but people need to stop with this idea that Ole loves United more than himself.

I read on here that he has put United's interest above his own, just complete rubbish.
That is best part of his reign. Loves the club and did a sacrifice to manage and save United.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
That is best part of his reign. Loves the club and did a sacrifice to manage and save United.
I don't really know how to take this post. But yeah, it's commendable that he wanted to help United out and was available too.

So were Mourinho, Moyes, van Gaal. They chose the best option for their career and all failed at it.

SAFMUTD

Poor Ole, sacrificed his awesome job at Molde for coming to save us. A martyr really.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I don't really know how to take this post. But yeah, it's commendable that he wanted to help United out and was available too.

So were Mourinho, Moyes, van Gaal. They chose the best option for their career and all failed at it.
I was taking a piss. Average manager gets a chance for biggest and best paid job in the world; but he is doing us a favor?

And now he is that much selfish/deluded that he doesn't want to resign.

Henandez14

Supports
World peace
Conte, Zidane, Tuchel, Guardiola ( well, refusing to negotiate a new contract) . Mourinho has just conditioned you to think that managers don't resign

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arsenal
the manager of the local tesco express here resigned after being caught inside a rotisserie chicken.

Hester_manc

Didn't Conte do this a few times as well after falling out with the board at multiple clubs?
Conte resigned from Juventus in 2014 after three consecutive Serie A titles.
He resigned from Inter three weeks after winning Serie A, because the club had plans to cut costs due to the impact of the coronavirus pandemic.
In 2009 he resigned from Atalanta after fans confronted him because of bad results.
In 2006 he signed as Italy manager.

steve.crowford

Conte will need to sell Sancho, he won't fit into the scheme at all, also have to buy wingbacks, let Pogba go, no chance for Shoretire and Amad Diallo, buy defensive midfielders in the summer. Well let's see it will be a real revolution if he comes.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Jose Antonio Camacho quit Real Madrid twice, once after a few weeks and once after a few months.

AFC NimbleThumb

Ole didn't become the footballer he was from a lack of self-belief or confidence. You and I may think he is not up to the job, but in his mind, he still believes and is confident about his chances. Not sure why folks are heaping abuse on Ole for not resigning.
I was going to retort but the below says it all basically. No one’s abusing OgS by pointing out the fact he isn’t a very good manager.

I don’t expect OgS to resign, not because he’s putting the club first but because he knows damn well he isn’t getting anywhere near a club of this standing again. His self serving antics are part of the reason standards have lowered, fans know he isn’t good enough so have eaten up his nonsense statements. I loved OgS the player, but OgS the manager, not for me.

Needham

Think I was looking for Premier League managers. Is there even one?

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Tuchel & Favre were dismissed by BVB.
Tuchel resigned from Mainz and Favre from Gladbach (the latter was after a bad run, but still early in the season, and after building Gladbach's most successful team in modern football).

We could also add Hansi Flick, who decided he couldn't be arsed to deal with our board any longer and rather became Bundestrainer.

Revan

Assumptionman
Im sure Ole said when he got the job, or around when he got the job, if there ever comes a time when things aren't working out he would do what's best for the club. Could be similar bullshit to the lines he fed DvB and Sancho.
He also said that he will make us a great team, to be fair.

Ultimate snake oil salesman. He just said what fans wanted to hear, knowing that it is bullshit. At least Moyes and LVG were genuinely deluded (and Mourinho a known cnut).

Nico87

According to Freddy Shepherd Rudd Gullit is the most honourable manager who he worked with.

I phoned him up and asked him to pop in to see me. He came in the room and he was due £750,000. We were ready to honour his contract, a year’s money.

“For once I didn’t say too much too quickly when he came in. Then Ruud said: ‘Before you speak I want to do a Press conference tomorrow saying I’m leaving... and I don’t want anything.’

“He had the Press conference, never slagged anyone off and left without a penny.”

Uniquim

Marcelo Bielsa is the first name that comes to mind...
Also, van Gaal resigned as the head coach of Barcelona in 2000, the technical director of Ajax in 2004 and there were speculations that he offered to resign as the manager of United in January 2016.
I knew about a couple of these (Chile, Marseille & Lazio), but I didn't know Bielsa had resigned this many times! :lol:

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Plenty have done it.

And of course most top level managers are already multi millionaires.

If they respect the craft of coaching, have a fondness for the club and are clearly out of their depth / at the end of a cycle it’s not really that big a deal to step away.

Plus it bodes well for them in that it shows fans some tangible proof that they actually care about the club / project, and also shows future employers that they are classy and not just on the make.