Managers you forgot existed

Ribble Valley Red

Brian Horton.

Managed City in the mid 90s. Currently assistant manager to Phil Brown at Swindon, turns 70 years old in Feb! Over 1000 games as a manager and 600+ games as a player.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Andres villas boas. Was that even his name?

Hughes35

Owen Coyle - Actually thought he was a good manager. Not sure what happened to him?

Bocca9978

What you're saying does not make sense as it relates to the thread title. You forgot he existed? He's Mgr of Celtic. How can you not know that? He won with Celtic the last two seasons. If you did know it then this thread isn't for you since you haven't forgotten he exists. So which is it.
Sorry, I had had a few beers. Was trying to be funny.

I think my point was that you might as well forget about him. Liverpool fans bigged him up so much being some great manager and now it doesn’t really matter what he does up there, he’ll win the league anyway.

Can you ever forget a manager exists?

Revaulx

Owen Coyle - Actually thought he was a good manager. Not sure what happened to him?
Did well at Burnley. A disaster at all his subsequent clubs. Pissed people off by invariably mentioning the “Barclays Premier League” several times in interviews.

Revaulx

Did well at Burnley. A disaster at all his subsequent clubs. Pissed people off by invariably mentioning the “Barclays Premier League” several times in interviews.
Edit: pissed off Burnley fans by leaving for Bolton mid-season, while saying that Bolton were “10 years ahead” of Burnley. Karma’s a bitch.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
This thread made me think of Kenny Jackett.

In the mid 00's, he was often linked with vacant PL jobs but it never happened. I remember always seeing him when watching the odd highlights recap from the Championship, and I had it in my head that he'd managed a ton of Championship/League 1 clubs, as seem to be the way in the football league. Looking him up just now, he actually hasn't, and he tends to stay at clubs for quite a long time (in relation to other managers at that level). He's now at Portsmouth, and I have no idea what division they're in without looking it up.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Where's Martin Jol these days

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
Eric Gerets

Has won league titles in five different countries.

Looked to be on his way to becoming a truly great coach after winning Ligue 1 manager of the year at Olympique Lyon, but got blinded by big-money offers from the Middle East and was slowly forgotten (even though he actually won titles in Qatar and Saudi Arabia). Hasn't worked since 2015.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lookatu

Been mentioned a couple of times but David O'Leary for me was the most surprising.
Did a brilliant job with Leeds, playing champions league football with "The Kids", went wrong there after players let him down off the field and he was replaced by a conveyor belt of terrible managers, then on to Villa where again he got them playing good football and maybe raised expectations above where they should have been.

As an Irishman I was always surprised he never took charge of the national team.
I'd probably still fancy him over the current setup.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
He kind stop coaching to race in the Dakar had an accident and i cant recall more info
Villas Boas is certainly enjoying life to the fullest.
Rather than falling into a grind, he basically picks the most adventurous next step in his career.
It wouldn't surprise me if his next step was to teach skydiving.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Aidy Boothroyd.
Managing England under 21s....

His club career was weird though....did great taking Watford into the premier league (even if it was long ball) but 4-5 years later was managing Northampton in league despite not doing terrible jobs at any club he managed.

Mine would be Javier Irrueta. Was brilliant as Depor manager, thought he was destined to be Real Madrid or Spain manager but it never happened. Probably stayed at Deportivo too long as they declined, then managed Betis for a year and that was it.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Was about to say him. Forgot who he was until I bumped into him in Italy. Took me ages to put a name to his face.
Those text messages abusing Vincent Tan basically put paid to his managerial career, he's invovled in the Scottish FA now and actually managed the senior team in a friendly.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
This thread made me think of Kenny Jackett.

In the mid 00's, he was often linked with vacant PL jobs but it never happened. I remember always seeing him when watching the odd highlights recap from the Championship, and I had it in my head that he'd managed a ton of Championship/League 1 clubs, as seem to be the way in the football league. Looking him up just now, he actually hasn't, and he tends to stay at clubs for quite a long time (in relation to other managers at that level). He's now at Portsmouth, and I have no idea what division they're in without looking it up.
Near the top of league 1.

He's a good manager at that level, did well at Millwall and Wolves in the championship. Probably been worse managers given even premier league jobs. Pompey are slowly on their way back now.