Managers you forgot existed

el3mel

Has to be Villas Boas yeah. Feels like he ceased to exist at some point.

Hughes35

Edit: pissed off Burnley fans by leaving for Bolton mid-season, while saying that Bolton were “10 years ahead” of Burnley. Karma’s a bitch.
Forgot about this to be honest! I do now remember thinking that Bolton was an odd sideways step. Turned out to be a career breaker.

SparkedIntoLife

Les Reed (Charlton - now DoF at Southampton)
Terry Connor (Wolves)
Chris Hutchins (Bradford/Wigan)
Alan Irvine (West Brom)
Doug Livermore (Spurs)
Paul Sturrock (Southampton)
Steve Wigley (Southampton)
Chris Ramsey (QPR)
Velimir Zajec (Portsmouth)
Neil Adams (Norwich)
John Carver (Newcastle)
Lawrie Sanchez (Fulham)
Brian Laws (Burnley)
Remi Garde (Aston Villa)

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
No, just found my guy with the help of google - Claude Le Roy!
Gonna add Winfried Schäfer to the mix too, managed Cameroon at the 2002 WC.

Initially thought he was the one in charge of Senegal but that brings up another one, Bruno Metsu.

Lots of Europeans tried their hand at managing African national teams with some degree of success.

Who was the Swiss bloke that Spurs had for a bit back in the 90's?

Les Reed (Charlton - now DoF at Southampton)
Terry Connor (Wolves)
Chris Hutchins (Bradford/Wigan)
Alan Irvine (West Brom)
Doug Livermore (Spurs)
Paul Sturrock (Southampton)
Steve Wigley (Southampton)
Chris Ramsey (QPR)
Velimir Zajec (Portsmouth)
Neil Adams (Norwich)
John Carver (Newcastle)
Lawrie Sanchez (Fulham)
Brian Laws (Burnley)
Remi Garde (Aston Villa)
He was doing a really good job up until last season.

Strats

Sven Göran Eriksson:
Currently trainer for Shenzhen FC in China.
Good shout.

Would want to mention him since you rarely hear news about him. Personally, he's hard to forget considering winning win the UEFA cup in 82 with my local team.

David Moyes.

GlennonTheGr8

Paul Merson. It’s absilutely MENTAL to think he was in a charge of a team and would have to discuss tactics with players and coaching staff about upcoming games in actual real life.

Reactions: Jippy

James Peril

John Gregory, managed Aston Villa in the Premier League, as well as Derby and QPR in the Championship (I guess). Now at some club in India, where Wikipedia tells me he was coach of the year last season.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
George Burley?
Think that's the guy i was thinking of.

He's working within the England youth set up iirc
Managing England under 21s....

His club career was weird though....did great taking Watford into the premier league (even if it was long ball) but 4-5 years later was managing Northampton in league despite not doing terrible jobs at any club he managed.

Mine would be Javier Irrueta. Was brilliant as Depor manager, thought he was destined to be Real Madrid or Spain manager but it never happened. Probably stayed at Deportivo too long as they declined, then managed Betis for a year and that was it.
Yeah i saw his name in the Young Lions thread and it reminded me.

Snash93

Supports
Liverpool
Does Alan Shearer count? If not, I'd go for Stephen Coppell

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
John Carver at Newcastle, best remembered if at all for calling himself "the best coach in the Premier League" after the team had lost something like 8 games in a row.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Mané (the big moustache guy who was in charge of the 2000-01 Alavés that lost the Uefa Cup in a cracking final vs the scouse; he fell off the face of the Earth)
Ireruta (classic spanish player of the 70s and the manager of the 1999-04 Super Depor de la Coruña; he just disappeared)
Denoieux (french manager who nearly won La Liga in 2003 with Real Sociedad)
W. Luxemburgo (can't say I remember him after the horrible 2005-06 Madrid season)
Queiroz
B. Schuster
A. Jacquet and the guy of the Euro2000

Last edited:

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Lotina. He was quite famous about fifteen years ago because he managed to get Numancia, a 2B team, to play the quarters of the copa del Rey. After that he had some pretty good years at Primera, especially with Celta, but about ten years ago everything started to go wrong for him.
He relegated Real Sociedad, Deportivo and later Villarreal. The poor man became a meme with everything related to "descend/go down.
I thought he had retired but apparently trains in Japan,Tokyo Verdy

IrishGlen

Marcello Lippi, there’s a blast from the past. He’s still going strong in China.

Also, if there’s a “players you forget existed who are now managers” thread then Fabio Cannavaro wins that. Been managing clubs for the past 5 years funny enough.

Reactions: oneniltothearsenal

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Not seen Peter Reid mentioned much. Mike Newell another obscure one but did well with Luton before getting caught out for taking bungs.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Lotina. He was quite famous about fifteen years ago because he managed to get Numancia, a 2B team, to play the quarters of the copa del Rey. After that he had some pretty good years at Primera, especially with Celta, but about ten years ago everything started to go wrong for him.
He relegated Real Sociedad, Deportivo and later Villarreal. The poor man became a meme with everything related to "descend/go down.
I thought he had retired but apparently trains in Japan,Tokyo Verdy
Never really liked his style of football tbh so not too surprised he faired poorly at plenty of clubs.

Spain had loads of these managers who performed miracles at one club but could never replicate the magic elsewhere. Likes of Juande Ramos and Irueta as mentioned, Mane from Alaves is another great shout and I'd add Victor Fernandez. Won Cup winners cup at Zaragoza in mid 90s (Nayim goal v Arsenal) then got Celta Vigo playing brilliant football. He was still only around 40 at the time.

Went to Porto after where he flopped and that was pretty much the death knell for his managerial career as he then went to likes of Betis and Zaragoza again and didn't do much at either and little since although his wiki says he was working as a Real Madrid youth director fairly recently.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Never really liked his style of football tbh so not too surprised he faired poorly at plenty of clubs.

Spain had loads of these managers who performed miracles at one club but could never replicate the magic elsewhere. Likes of Juande Ramos and Irueta as mentioned, Mane from Alaves is another great shout and I'd add Victor Fernandez. Won Cup winners cup at Zaragoza in mid 90s (Nayim goal v Arsenal) then got Celta Vigo playing brilliant football. He was still only around 40 at the time.

Went to Porto after where he flopped and that was pretty much the death knell for his managerial career as he then went to likes of Betis and Zaragoza again and didn't do much at either and little since although his wiki says he was working as a Real Madrid youth director fairly recently.
The one of Victor Fernandez is a curious case. As you say, he was very young. In the 90s it was said that his teams were the ones that played the best. It was a Valdano style.
Both were talking about what would be the boom of the possession game 20 years ago, and curiously his decline as a coach began around 2006/2007.
His Zaragoza was a great team. That goal of Nayim is unforgettable. Then he found a very good Celta with Karpin, Revivo, Mostovoi, Djorovic,Makelele,Michel Salgado, etc.

I think he spent too much time as a commentator on the radio and disconnected a bit from football. He was also in Deportivo and also ended badly. He no longer works at Madrid

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Ottmar Hitzfeld!

Oh, he's retired...

I wanted him to succeed SAF. :(

JMack1234

Mickey Adams
Danny Wilson
Phil Brown
Phil Scolari
That guy who used to manage Villa before O'Neil took over
Juande Ramos
Paul Jewell
Owen Coyle
Martin Jol
Felix Magath
Pepe Mel

ashfritz

Supports
Liverpool
Bushy eyebrow guy who managed Palace I think, Ian Dowie.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Marcello Lippi, there’s a blast from the past. He’s still going strong in China.

Also, if there’s a “players you forget existed who are now managers” thread then Fabio Cannavaro wins that. Been managing clubs for the past 5 years funny enough.
I was going to post this myself about Lippi. Whenever friends talk about best managers of all time or some such, I always forget Lippi for some reason. I have a Juve supporter friend who is always reminding me.

Precaution

I was going to post this myself about Lippi. Whenever friends talk about best managers of all time or some such, I always forget Lippi for some reason. I have a Juve supporter friend who is always reminding me.
Wasnt Fergie best friends with him? Which is weird if true as i don't think Lippi speaks English as he was linked to manage us in 2002 when Fergie wanted to retire