Managing England: The Impossible Job

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Not sure it was a sacking based on reincarnation, it was more that he confirmed that due to his beliefs, disabled people in this life were paying for things they did in a former life. That is bang out of order for someone who's England manager to say.
Plus, PM Tony Blair got involved.

Main thing I got from it was how incredibly incompetent the FA have been over the years. That, and how ridiculous the English media are. I wonder if that guy realised what a pillock he came across as...acting like the gutter press in this country are some sort of establishment to be revered.

MUFC OK

It was an interesting programme. Rio seriously hated Capello after initially being elated he was picked. No butter on your bread?

Sad how Keegan was so out of his death. Looking back, and we all know this, the viciousness in the media around Sir Bobby, Glenn, McLaren, all of them tbh is deplorable.
Wonder if we'll ever know the finer details about why he was assaulted in his car?

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Plus he was probably stagnating towards his later years as the game changed and his tactical approach became more of a thing of the past. His best years (for the most part) were over by the time he took the England job.
NATIONAL LEVEL.
I read that the players hated him and found his ultra aggressive demeanor odd and insincere because it was put on for effect.

Capello and his all Italian team gathering to watch all Italy's games n the camp with the passion and noise you would expect also had an alienating effect.

I think that is a big reason why we will never have a foreign manager again.
:lol:Yeah, having your manager cheering on a rival must be a bit weird.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
gave up after about 20 mins. didn't tell me anything new or surprising. just when I'd almost forgotten that Hoddle is worse at something than being a pundit...

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
He was talking about how he believed in karma and reincarnation. The interviewer said "so that means you think disabled people are being punished for their former lives?" and Hoddle said something like "well, yes. That's how it works". The headlines were all about him saying people in wheelchairs deserved to be there.

I don't personally believe in karmic reincarnation but there's a fecking shitload of people worldwide who do. He's a strange guy (not for this particular belief) but I still think his sacking was incredibly harsh.
Agree with you on most things duffer but completely disagree with you here. Just because a shit load of people believe that disabled people are paying for past sins doesn’t mean it’s ok, it just means a shit load of people are wankers.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Agree with you on most things duffer but completely disagree with you here. Just because a shit load of people believe that disabled people are paying for past sins doesn’t mean it’s ok, it just means a shit load of people are wankers.
If we sacked every religious person for believing something I think is dumb or offensive, there'd be about 5 billion unemployed people in the world.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
If we sacked every religious person for believing something I think is dumb or offensive, there'd be about 5 billion unemployed people in the world.
Most of them aren’t managing the English football team though, if Southgate came out and said he thinks black people are inferior to white people and used his religion as justification, would his sacking be merited?

duffer

Scout
Most of them aren’t managing the English football team though, if Southgate came out and said he thinks black people are inferior to white people and used his religion as justification, would his sacking be merited?
Well, that's not really a fair comparison as there's no religions that actually believe that as far as I know. Billions of people believe in reincarnation.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Well, that's not really a fair comparison as there's no religions that actually believe that as far as I know. Billions of people believe in reincarnation.
Hypothetically then, you’d think he should be sacked right?

Or if you’d rather a more likely comparison, what if Southgate said women are inferior to men and used his religion as justification?

Jezpeza

I agree and disagree with you at the same time. I hate the world we currently live in, rife with thought policing, political correctness gone mad and people who live just to be offended. On the other hand, it varies from job to job. If a plumber drops a couple of risky jokes like we all do over a pint with a couple of mates everyone laughs and no one really cares. But something like the England manager is so in the spotlight that you just can't say anything of that sort. I personally didn't really care what allardyce said and actually agreed with some of it (like the fa just being about money) but he was always going to have to go when that came out. Nature of the beast

duffer

Scout
Hypothetically then, you’d think he should be sacked right?

Or if you’d rather a more likely comparison, what if Southgate said women are inferior to men and used his religion as justification?
It would really depend on the manner of their statement but in those examples it's hard to imagine me not wanting them sacked.

Hoddle got stitched up in an interview and had zero ill-intent towards anyone, that's why I think his sacking was harsh.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Main thing I got from it was how incredibly incompetent the FA have been over the years. That, and how ridiculous the English media are. I wonder if that guy realised what a pillock he came across as...acting like the gutter press in this country are some sort of establishment to be revered.
Agreed. Henry Winter acting all smug and mighty most of the time before trying to show grace with the reference to Steve McClaren’s wife like it’s an acceptable cover for the sh*t he throws because he acknowledged it. The press saw off many of those managers by their own design and the FA remain just as clueless and flippant as always. Felt sorry for all of the former managers who were just men trying to do their jobs in a world of sh*t while their players ballsed up for them in most cases.

Sven was good too. Enjoyed his segment and interviews.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
It would really depend on the manner of their statement but in those examples it's hard to imagine me not wanting them sacked.

Hoddle got stitched up in an interview and had zero ill-intent towards anyone, that's why I think his sacking was harsh.
Fair enough, maybe I should be more lenient given that he was kind of tricked into giving them their headlines. I’ll leave it at that mate

Acole9

Outstanding
Just watched it, Robson and Taylor were both treating appallingly. I read about Sir Alf Ramsey online whilst watching, absolutely disgusting the way the FA behaved even up to when he passed.

Sven came across as a great guy, Capello brutally honest, Keegan was well out of his depth and should've never have been given the job in the first place, Allardyce comes across as very bitter, got what he deserved and also never should've been given the job. Hoddle whilst his comments were bizarre, he's still my favourite England manager of my life time.

Henry Winter came across as a right sanctimonious prat, especially that bit at the end about Southgate potentially losing to Panama.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
It was odd when he was going on about seeing McLaren's wife at a conference where he was being shredded and saying 'you have to remember they are human and have families'. Presumably that was just a fleeting moment of clarity before he went back in full cnut mode.

His excuse was weird- he was saying he was misquoted, but not really denying the message conveyed. Was hard to fathom out what he was on about. Was interesting to see how much Rio loved him though...and how much he hated Capello.
People believe in reincarnation...others believe in god and i find that equally as weird to be honest.

HorrorFan07

Southgate making it look simple.

Cloughy said football is a simple game and Southgate has a plan on how he likes his teams and set up to play, and picks the players to fit into that.. common sense really.

Jippy

Staff
Just watched it, Robson and Taylor were both treating appallingly. I read about Sir Alf Ramsey online whilst watching, absolutely disgusting the way the FA behaved even up to when he passed.

Sven came across as a great guy, Capello brutally honest, Keegan was well out of his depth and should've never have been given the job in the first place, Allardyce comes across as very bitter, got what he deserved and also never should've been given the job. Hoddle whilst his comments were bizarre, he's still my favourite England manager of my life time.

Henry Winter came across as a right sanctimonious prat, especially that bit at the end about Southgate potentially losing to Panama.
Yeah, I can't believe Sir Bobby was up for coming back in 96 or 98, whenever, after he was shat so badly before.
I don't know why, but I kind of like Hoddle despite his religious nonsense.

People believe in reincarnation...others believe in god and i find that equally as weird to be honest.
If you micro-analyse it, is walking on water weirder than a flying monkey god with a tail of fire? (oh how my wife laughs at me mocking her weird hindu faith).

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Yeah, I can't believe Sir Bobby was up for coming back in 96 or 98, whenever, after he was shat so badly before.
I don't know why, but I kind of like Hoddle despite his religious nonsense.

If you micro-analyse it, is walking on water weirder than a flying monkey god with a tail of fire? (oh how my wife laughs at me mocking her weird hindu faith).
I'm not religous at all mate, i'm an athiest, but it struck me as odd at the time that somebody was sacked for his belief system. Although he was perhaps a bit stupid to openly say what he said, but that IS reincarnation and it is what people believe.

Jippy

Staff
I'm not religous at all mate, i'm an athiest, but it struck me as odd at the time that somebody was sacked for his belief system. Although he was perhaps a bit stupid to openly say what he said, but that IS reincarnation and it is what people believe.
From what I remember, word was that the FA was looking for a reason to fire him at the time. Can't really remember though, as it was so long ago.

Denis' cuff

Joe Mercer caretaker England manager 1974. Did a fantastic job! Just for the record!

When the pressure was off. Always a stop gap.

Did he even have to manage during serious competition? Possibly a few qualifiers, if that.

Mercer never won a thing without Allison and took two sides down to Div. II. Over rated.

At least he used to make me laugh with his pronunciations: Beneyfica (Benfica) and Peelie (Pele) :)

Last edited:

simplyared

When the pressure was off. Always a stop gap.

Did he even have to manage during serious competition? Possibly a few qualifiers, if that.

Mercer never won a thing without Allison and took two sides down to Div. II. Over rated.

At least he used to make me laugh with his pronunciations: Beneyfica (Benfica) and Peelie (Pele) :)
England under him were friendlies yes:

First ones were against the home nations:
Wales 0 England 2
England 1 Northern Ireland 0
Scotland 2 England 1 (ouch!)

Then a friendly:
England 2 Argentina 2

Then he took them on a tour of Eastern Europe:
GDR 1 England 1
Bulgaria 0 England 1
Yugoslavia 2 England 2

So he did alright, took the shackles off and played entertaining football using players like Weller, Bowles, Worhington, Keegan and Channon.
He also said he wasn't prepared to take the job on permanently before he started so yes that would have taken the pressure off. However good while it lasted and some good memories seeing an England team playing with that kind of flair.