Manchester City 17/18 discussion | "If you're here for the Champions clap your hands" (#6505)

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Still worse than Chelsea.
@Maradona10

Silva, Mendy and Fabinho isn't enough to give City the best squad in the league. It's horribly imbalanced. Are they going to play 4 attacking midfielders with one holding player? Their only other midfielder of worth is Fernandinho (32). Toure is shot (34), and Gundogan a crock. Fernando hopeless. Add to this, they have no worthwhile CBs or GK.

Silva is a good player who isn't a great improvement over what they already have. Mendy is good going forward but not much cop at actual defending. Fabinho is a good shout, but can't play every game.

Red Star One

@Maradona10

Silva, Mendy and Fabinho isn't enough to give City the best squad in the league. It's horribly imbalanced. Are they going to play 4 attacking midfielders with one holding player? Their only other midfielder of worth is Fernandinho (32). Toure is shot (34), and Gundogan a crock. Fernando hopeless. Add to this, they have no worthwhile CBs or GK.

Silva is a good player who isn't a great improvement over what they already have. Mendy is good going forward but not much cop at actual defending. Fabinho is a good shout, but can't play every game.
Pretty much yes, I guess Pep will be stubborn with his 4-1-4-1. His Barca sides were also called horribly imbalanced.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Pretty much yes, I guess Pep will be stubborn with his 4-1-4-1. His Barca sides were also called horribly imbalanced.
Difference was, his Barca side has Busquets, Xavi and Iniesta in midfield in perfect harmony. His city side will have who? Fabinho (theoretically), De Bruyne and Silva? With other other Silva and Sane wide? KDB looks hopeless in CM, which is where they are forced to play him.assive waste of his talent.

They'll be interesting to watch for sure.

NoPace

I wouldn't say they were this imbalanced, in that Xavi was more of a natural 8 who wasn't always looking to go forward, and they had the whole tiki-taka thing. This City team, with De Bruyne and one of the Silvas as the 2 CMs, I expect to go forward quicker and thus give up more counters too.

I don't think they'll be able to keep the ball the way Pep's Barca did, so I expect more run and gun.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
@Maradona10

My friend, you havent watched mendy then. He is very good attacking and defending. He is also good in air and can play at Cb if needed be. If they get Fabinho too, who can play as midfielder and a right back, they basically fulfill all their holes. The centre back problem will be solved as kompany is back to his old self, stones will improve.
You do not understand them signing bernardo is like them signing Aguero or Silva. Its a game changer, he will dominate some games and be very beneficial in the champions league. He is only 22 and is bound to get better.They are going to get pickford as Gk and solve that issue too. I am very sure Pep is shifting towards this-
----------Pickford-----------
--Walker----Kompany----Stones--Mendy
---------------Fabinho--------------------
------David silva------Gundogan------------
-Bernardo silva-----------------Sane--------
------------------Jesus------------------------
Think they will add A cb to this as well, he might even play Mendy at Cb and he can do that easily.

Mangala will be sold, Yaya and Fernandinho will be cover with fernando being sold. Ilhenacho will also be sold. Aguero will be another one on the bench.

VivaJanuzaj

My friend, you havent watched mendy then. He is very good attacking and defending. He is also good in air and can play at Cb if needed be. If they get Fabinho too, who can play as midfielder and a right back, they basically fulfill all their holes. The centre back problem will be solved as kompany is back to his old self, stones will improve.
You do not understand them signing bernardo is like them signing Aguero or Silva. Its a game changer, he will dominate some games and be very beneficial in the champions league. He is only 22 and is bound to get better.They are going to get pickford as Gk and solve that issue too. I am very sure Pep is shifting towards this-
Think they will add A cb to this as well, he might even play Mendy at Cb and he can do that easily.

Mangala will be sold, Yaya and Fernandinho will be cover with fernando being sold. Ilhenacho will also be sold. Aguero will be another one on the bench.
My friend, you clearly haven't seen Pep's lineups this season. It's far more likely it will end looking like this:
--Walker----Kompany----Otamendi--Mendy
------------------Fabinho-------------------
Bernardo silva-----David Silva---De Bruyne-----Sane

Maybe add another AM somehow instead of any of the back 5

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
My friend, you clearly haven't seen Pep's lineups this season. It's far more likely it will end looking like this:

Isn't it possible that he is trying to transform De Bruyne into a CM?

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan

It is clear he doesnt prefer de bryne as he will hit a risky pass whereas pep always prefers a safe pass. His Philosophy like LVG is to keep the ball first, as if you have the ball, the opponent cannot score. I totally blanked on otamendi though:lol:. If gundogan is fit he will play, he will also transition to 4-3-3, its the formation he has most success in. It is what his masters has taught him.

walkinhop

@Maradona10

Yes?

jesperjaap

It is clear he doesnt prefer de bryne as he will hit a risky pass whereas pep always prefers a safe pass. His Philosophy like LVG is to keep the ball first, as if you have the ball, the opponent cannot score. I totally blanked on otamendi though:lol:. If gundogan is fit he will play, he will also transition to 4-3-3, its the formation he has most success in. It is what his masters has taught him.
Your whole argument and team is kind of ruined by thinking Pickford solves the gk issue, really? He is a good shot stopper and that is about it, criminally over rated (well he is English) and totally not a Guardiola type keeper. City have a fantastic attacking line up, even more so now with the totally not needed Silva signing. If they do sign a good keeper, two full backs, centre back and central midfielder they will have a fantastic side....but then we are talking of virtually signing half a new side!

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports

A lot of hyperbole in that post. Silva isn't a game changer. He's not currently of the quality of David Silva, Aguero, or even KDB. He's good, but he's also potential yet to be fulfilled. Signing Neymar is a game changer, signing Bernardo Silva isn't. He fits them well, and we'll see how he develops over the coming seasons; but he isn't adding anything to their game plan that they don't already have. Just more of it.

As for your line up. I'll still contend that Mendy is defensively suspect. Walker hasn't signed for them yet. Stones is a liability, and Kompany is a crock. Furthermore, Gundogan is coming back from yet another serious injury, and you've made no room for KBD, who Pep will surely play as a cm. It's a very exciting but very defensively frail team IMO.

City's big problem will always be teams that pack the middle, and hit them fast and direct on the counter. None of their signings really address that. Maybe some added penetration from the full backs. But B.Silva isnt particularly penetrative in his play.

Meanwhile, Pickford is a young and fairly inexperienced keeper, who we have no clue as to how he will fair at a bigger club under more scrutiny. Far from being a dead cert.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Moved posts to Man City discussion in twitter thread here.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Multiple trophies should be minimum expectation for them season, one of those has to be PL or CL.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He sure played De Bruyne a lot for someone he doesn't rate, to the point where he blamed a dip in KDB's form on how overused he'd been.

Also praises him a lot for someone he's planning to drop:

"I think he is a special player -- an outstanding player.

He makes everything. Without the ball he's the first fighter, and with the ball it's clear he sees absolutely everything. He decides what he has to do in the right moment every single time.

Sometimes you have to pass with the first touch, sometimes you have to control. Sometimes you have to attack the ball. Every time he makes the right decision.

I am lucky, we are happy. Hopefully he can enjoy with us to play his amazing football.

He is one of [the best players I have managed]. Messi can sit alone in the table, it's not allowed anyone else, but in the table beside, Kevin can sit there, there's no doubt."

milemuncher777

formerly kid777
Didn't had WC squad at his disposal for first time in his career, so now Baldhead trying to buy his way to success.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Didn't had WC squad at his disposal for first time in his career, so now Baldhead trying to buy his way to success.
I'm not sure we're in much of a position to criticise given the amount of money we've thrown at our problems in recent years. :lol:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
They are making some very good moves in the transfer market, hopefully this will put the notion that Pep isn't a checkbook manager firmly to the rest. Can see them spending more than 200 Million this summer.

Donut

Their attack is insane. Sterling as a sub against tired opponents will be very effective too.

Their spine is suspect though. New inexperienced goalie, question marks over their CBs, Toure, Gundogan,... If they strengthen there too I'd have them favourites for the league.

darioterios

I'm not sure we're in much of a position to criticise given the amount of money we've thrown at our problems in recent years. :lol:
I think the point of the post is that there is an assumption and an expectation that his philosophy and coaching will improve the players currently at his disposal

MDFC Manager

4 season in a row, they've outperformed us in the league. I expect that trend to continue.

Yagami

Good post resistant
If they strengthen their whole defence and get Gundogan and Kompany back to full fitness for the seasons entirety I'll have them as favourites.

Von Mistelroum

4 season in a row, they've outperformed us in the league. I expect that trend to continue.
There's little doubt about that. It'll continue for some time to come yet. We're sorely lacking in terms of our squad and it can't be fixed quickly.

prtk0811

He wants the ball at all times and with this move was looking to cease the initiative by scoring first and early with more creativity and better movement and passing when they failed to break teams down and pile on the goals to control the game and make the opponents force out for an equalizer so that he could find more space on the counter and pile on more goals. Just High pressing and proactive approach is required for him to win the ball back and make the opponents frustrated again to get the ball via his back and side passing.

Will he be consistent in winning with this approach remains to be seen, but silva move has indeed added more ability to break down the defenses which he struggled to for long periods of the game. Will the defenses get rolled over? Remains to be seen. The only way to release the pressure for the smaller teams would be Long direct balls.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

lol Pickford is even worse with the ball at his feet than hart!

Watched him against Arsenal and the majority of the time he shanked the ball out for a throw in. Great shot shopper though,

prtk0811

If they strengthen their whole defence and get Gundogan and Kompany back to full fitness for the seasons entirety I'll have them as favourites.
Nope chelsea will be still the favourites. Our will depend on the players we get.

AgentP

Pep is not messing around this summer. He knows what he wants and the club is quickly wrapping up the deals. Most of the players he is targeting are also attainable since they are not already in top clubs. Silva, Ederson, Mendy, Fabinho and Walker can all be wrapped up by the end of June if they go on at this pace. Their starting XI next season would be the best on paper if they get all their targets.

Ederson
Walker Kompany Otamendi Mendy
Fabinho
B.Silva KDB
Jesus Aguero Sane

Subs: Bravo, Stones, Silva, Sterling, Toure, Fernandinho, Gundogan
This team looks amazing. The five attacking players will combine so well and cause so many problems for the opposition. Two full backs who can get up and down the pitch. Great team and bench all round. I just hope that we pounce and get Mendy and Fabinho ahead of them.

Dembeza

People didn't learn anything this season by watching Barcelona?

The team has the best front 3 in the world plus Iniesta and they still got humiliated in the CL. I see city having the same problems Barcelona had.

They will outscore the smaller teams but against bigger teams they will be punished.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Pep is not messing around this summer. He knows what he wants and the club is quickly wrapping up the deals. Most of the players he is targeting are also attainable since they are not already in top clubs. Silva, Ederson, Mendy, Fabinho and Walker can all be wrapped up by the end of June if they go on at this pace. Their starting XI next season would be the best on paper if they get all their targets.

Ederson
Fabinho
B.Silva KDB
Jesus Aguero Sane

This team looks amazing. The five attacking players will combine so well and cause so many problems for the opposition. Two full backs who can get up and down the pitch. Great team and bench all round. I just hope that we pounce and get Mendy and Fabinho ahead of them.
That midfield will get trashed once they lose the ball. Not worried.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Nope chelsea will be still the favourites. Our will depend on the players we get.
Favourites for some but, if City do get their defence sorted instead of stockpiling midfielders, they're my favourites to win it.

El Jefe

Ederson
Fabinho
B.Silva KDB
Jesus Aguero Sane

Simply put a team like the one above would have to make them favourites for the league especially if Kompany stays fit.

The favourites don't always win the league of course but it looks a cracking and exciting team on paper.

prtk0811

Favourites for some but, if City do get their defence sorted instead of stockpiling midfielders, they're my favourites to win it.
No Beacuse their style is not destined to be consistant for success in the league. Because Of the play style of Opposition teams.

AgentP

That midfield will get trashed once they lose the ball. Not worried.
I just think they can outscore most teams with this line-up. And they do have Gundogan and Fernandinho, so they can use one of them instead of an attacker against stronger opposition to keep things tight.

prtk0811

This team is built to pile on 2-3 goals in the first half and then Control the game with Posession ,and when the opponents comes out pile on More goals with more space.

Will the EPL defenses get rolled over remains to be seen.

prtk0811

Epl Must bring out Long ball football to stop man city from Dominating games.

Yagami

Good post resistant
No Beacuse their style is not destined to be consistant for success in the league. Because Of the play style of Opposition teams.
We'll see! I hope you're right but I'm not of the opinion that Pep's football isn't suited to the PL. Honestly, I thought they'd win it last year but was delighted to see how they did in the end.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
They will steamroll smaller teams but struggle in the big games if they don't invest in actual midfielders. I know that they have Gundogan but he has injury worries, Fernandinho is good though. Kompany had a good resurgence toward the end of the season but he is 31 now and again, injury prone. Jesus looks very exciting though and with Bernardo Silva it seems like Pep is trying to ease out people like Aguero/Silva who are getting toward their 30s despite still being fantastic players/options.