Manchester City 19/20 season

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
They achieved 100 points with mainly Orta and Stones 2 seasons ago, so add Laporte to the mix and they don't have that many worries. Plus Ferna is more than capable of playing at the back. Walker isn't good enough for CB. He's too error prone and struggles sometimes with basic passes out from the back. His reading of the game is below par for whats expected for that position.
Aguero will be tough to replace. I wonder if Icardi can be that man? There aren't that many top quality options out there for centre forward.
Not for me.
Recently we've tried to bring in good players with stable backgrounds.
Icardi while talented has too much baggage.

Bullhitter

Supports
Chelsea
They achieved 100 points with mainly Orta and Stones 2 seasons ago, so add Laporte to the mix and they don't have that many worries. Plus Ferna is more than capable of playing at the back. Walker isn't good enough for CB. He's too error prone and struggles sometimes with basic passes out from the back. His reading of the game is below par for whats expected for that position.
Aguero will be tough to replace. I wonder if Icardi can be that man? There aren't that many top quality options out there for centre forward.
Icardi as said above brings too much baggage and is too static on the pitch anyway.

Right now the only ready made replacement I see for Aguero is Mbappe.

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
Not for me.
Recently we've tried to bring in good players with stable backgrounds.
Icardi while talented has too much baggage.
I'd like Jesus to at least be given a shot at replacing Aguero (assuming he's still with us when Aguero leaves), before we were to look at spending mega money to bring someone else in.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
I'd like Jesus to at least be given a shot at replacing Aguero (assuming he's still with us when Aguero leaves), before we were to look at spending mega money to bring someone else in.
Think he'll get plenty of gametime this season but he's not really ever going to be a regular No9 IMO.
He can play anywhere across the front 3 but would be wasted just trying to tie him down to the traditional CF role.
Sooner or later there will be a gradual decline from Aguero similar to that which David Silva is currently experiencing. Silva's replacement/s are obvious but we have 2 seasons to identify and bring in another striker. I'm not aware of anybody outstanding in that role in the academy so I can the foresee the scouts and suits prioritising someone who is currently about 22, probably playing outstandingly.for a second tier club and looking to move up.
No names at the moment though.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Think our summer business is over, so our squad going into the new season is:
Ederson
Walker, Stones, Laporte, Zinchenko
De Bruyne, Rodri, D. Silva
Bernardo, Aguero, Sterling

Bravo
Danilo, [Fernandinho], Otamendi, Mendy (Angelino)
Gundogan, Fernandinho, Foden
Mahrez, Jesus, Sane

Raw

No Kompany replacement, other than sticking Fernandinho there? Or are you just going to bring someone from the academy?

That 2nd choice front 3 is fecking ridiculous though :lol:

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
I don't think Stones will start for City this season, unless personal issues all sorted. Pep not impressed?

Could see Otamendi start or Pep convert another player to CB?

Positive for City is Jesus played great in the Copa, he'd start over Ageuro based on comparison of their performances in it.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Given how Liverpool finished the season, and the relative form of Utd, Spurs and Chelsea - it's an odd feeling actively hoping that City win the League before the season has even started...

Least I'm honest, I guess.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
No Kompany replacement, other than sticking Fernandinho there? Or are you just going to bring someone from the academy?

That 2nd choice front 3 is fecking ridiculous though :lol:
talk of Eric Garcia being promoted, ball playing Spanish centre half

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Not replacing Kompany will be something that comes back to haunt them

robinamicrowave

Supports
Man City
Not replacing Kompany will be something that comes back to haunt them
Not sure how we can replace Kompany in terms that simple. When it came to quality he was rightly 3rd/4th choice for a long time, but his leadership was always vital during the crunch period at the end of each season, which is where we might miss him. We could spend another £500m on centre-backs alone and never find another player like him. I think that's why Pep's probably going to move Fernandinho into the backline - he's got similar leadership qualities to Vincent and probably isn't much worse in terms of the defensive qualities he possesses. It's not ideal but it's probably a safer option than overspending on someone like Maguire or De Ligt and finding out they're not up to the job of filling Kompany's shoes.

Shark

@NotShark
Given how Liverpool finished the season, and the relative form of Utd, Spurs and Chelsea - it's an odd feeling actively hoping that City win the League before the season has even started...

Least I'm honest, I guess.
Sadly I think the title is there for the taking, for Liverpool. City are still stronger, but something tells me they'll lack that extra motivation to win it again.

charlenefan

Not sure how we can replace Kompany in terms that simple. When it came to quality he was rightly 3rd/4th choice for a long time, but his leadership was always vital during the crunch period at the end of each season, which is where we might miss him. We could spend another £500m on centre-backs alone and never find another player like him. I think that's why Pep's probably going to move Fernandinho into the backline - he's got similar leadership qualities to Vincent and probably isn't much worse in terms of the defensive qualities he possesses. It's not ideal but it's probably a safer option than overspending on someone like Maguire or De Ligt and finding out they're not up to the job of filling Kompany's shoes.
And that's why not replacing him will come back to bite you. While a shadow of his former self Kompany was still your second best CB last season (disagree about him rightly being 3rd or 4th choice). Wait and see what happens in the tough moments and you're relying on Stones and Otamendi

I'm amazed that City weren't one of those after De Ligt (maybe they were put off by the financial demands) and I can see why they wouldn't want to pay the insane money for Maguire but to not do anything is a mistake imo

robinamicrowave

Supports
Man City
And that's why not replacing him will come back to bite you. While a shadow of his former self Kompany was still your second best CB last season (disagree about him rightly being 3rd or 4th choice). Wait and see what happens in the tough moments and you're relying on Stones and Otamendi

I'm amazed that City weren't one of those after De Ligt (maybe they were put off by the financial demands) and I can see why they wouldn't want to pay the insane money for Maguire but to not do anything is a mistake imo
Well, I think this is where Laporte really comes into his own. He's already better than Kompany was at the same age a few years ago. Silva will be captain for a year this season in the same way Tevez was during the 10/11 season before Kompany showed his leadership qualities and assumed the role for the 11/12 season. Once Silva and Fernandinho are gone I think Laporte will take up the armband, and this season will be his audition. As for Stones and Otamendi, they were our CB pairing when we flew ahead of the pack at the back end of 2017. I don't doubt either of their qualities when they play for us.

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
If I was City I would be getting rid of Danilo and Otamendi and replacing them with Cancelo and Alderweireld

charlenefan

Sadly I think the title is there for the taking, for Liverpool. City are still stronger, but something tells me they'll lack that extra motivation to win it again.
100% agree

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Kompany left at the perfect time, that piledriver against Leicester with a title win best way to go out. He was past it, and lucky not to get red card against Liverpool.

If Pep does play Eric Garcia and makes him a class centre back this season, that for me is the way football should be. Get the kids in, give them a chance, and hopefully Foden will get loads of minutes too this season.

robinamicrowave

Supports
Man City
If I was City I would be getting rid of Danilo and Otamendi and replacing them with Cancelo and Alderweireld
There's no guarantee that Cancelo would be happy to play second fiddle to Walker in the way Danilo is. And why would we spend £25m to replace Otamendi with Alderweireld when they're roughly the same age and of similar ability?

robinamicrowave

Supports
Man City
Kompany left at the perfect time, that piledriver against Leicester with a title win best way to go out. He was past it, and lucky not to get red card against Liverpool.

If Pep does play Eric Garcia and makes him a class centre back this season, that for me is the way football should be. Get the kids in, give them a chance, and hopefully Foden will get loads of minutes too this season.
Foden will definitely have a much larger presence. He played 26 games last season and contributed to 9 goals - he's earned his place in the squad now. He's been managed perfectly by Pep up to now and him being named in the first XI for three huge games at the end of last season was confirmation that we now think he's ready.

Garcia's is a very young 18, though, and only has three first team appearances under his belt. I think we'll trial him in the early rounds of the domestic cups again but I don't expect him to feature much beyond that. I think he might get into double figures for appearances but I'd be very, very surprised if Pep started him in any league game this season.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
100% agree
Yeah exactly, it's basically theirs for the taking.

Will probably stick a couple hundred quid on them winning it as soon as the season starts, so I'll at least get something out of it when they win it.

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
There's no guarantee that Cancelo would be happy to play second fiddle to Walker in the way Danilo is. And why would we spend £25m to replace Otamendi with Alderweireld when they're roughly the same age and of similar ability?
Toby is much better than Otamendi.

Also Cancelo would be an upgrade on Walker who's output in such an attacking team is dreadful. Cancelo also much better defensively and has superior passing ability. Also played at LB on occasion.

If City want to win the CL they need better than Walker and Otamendi. Alves for a season could help.

robinamicrowave

Supports
Man City
Toby is much better than Otamendi.

Also Cancelo would be an upgrade on Walker who's output in such an attacking team is dreadful. Cancelo also much better defensively and has superior passing ability. Also played at LB on occasion.

If City want to win the CL they need better than Walker and Otamendi. Alves for a season could help.
You say Walker's record is poor for an attacking team but our full-backs don't really do much attacking. When we're playing the ball around in the final third our full-backs tend to tuck into midfield and recycle possession if the ball comes to them, preventing counter attacks from the opposition in the process. Mendy's an outlier with his crossing ability but look at our full-backs' goal contribution figures since Pep took over in 2016 and you'll see consistent numbers. 1 or 2 goals, 4 or 5 assists maximum each season. I'm not sure why City would want to pay ridiculous wages to Alves when he turned us down two years ago and is currently 36. We have Walker and Danilo and we're happy with that. If we could trade Danilo for Cancelo then we probably would, but Juventus don't want Danilo in exchange and we're not that keen to get rid of him either, so it'll stay as it is.

And I'm not sure Alderweireld is "much better" than Otamendi either. Not to the tune of £25m. We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. Although, frankly, I'm stunned (and honestly a little sceptical) that you have enough time on your hands to watch the Premier League, Ligue 1, and Serie A enough to have formed such strong opinions on all of these players.

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
Be stunned and sceptical if you please. Its really not hard to watch different teams over the weekend when each teams matches are 90% live and on at different times.

I've watched Alves hundreds of times over the years, he was excellent at the Copa America recently and named the best player. Still take him over Walker.

Seen Otamendi many times for Argentina, Valencia and City. Had a couple of good seasons but extremely rash and error prone. TA is one of the best CBs in the world. Easily a level above and his transfer fee would be at least double that in a normal situation.

Cancelo again at Valencia and for Juventus. Talented albeit has areas he can improve. Why Pep signed Danilo I will never know. He was average at best at Madrid.

Its not hard to watch various leagues, numerous football fans do so. Some even 5/6 leagues.

Your views on Otamendi being at same level shows you either only watch Man City or your talent judgement is weak.

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
Think he'll get plenty of gametime this season but he's not really ever going to be a regular No9 IMO.
He can play anywhere across the front 3 but would be wasted just trying to tie him down to the traditional CF role.
Sooner or later there will be a gradual decline from Aguero similar to that which David Silva is currently experiencing. Silva's replacement/s are obvious but we have 2 seasons to identify and bring in another striker. I'm not aware of anybody outstanding in that role in the academy so I can the foresee the scouts and suits prioritising someone who is currently about 22, probably playing outstandingly.for a second tier club and looking to move up.
No names at the moment though.
Yea I've been slightly disappointed in his (lack of) progression since that first half season when he arrived. Some of that might be just due to game time and playing second fiddle to Aguero, and he's also had a couple of niggling injuries. He looked sharp in the Copa America. For now it looks like he's still patient enough to wait for Aguero to vacate.

Agree I think we'll go for someone fairly young and possibly not already in the proven, world class bracket.

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
Be stunned and sceptical if you please. Its really not hard to watch different teams over the weekend when each teams matches are 90% live and on at different times.

I've watched Alves hundreds of times over the years, he was excellent at the Copa America recently and named the best player. Still take him over Walker.

Seen Otamendi many times for Argentina, Valencia and City. Had a couple of good seasons but extremely rash and error prone. TA is one of the best CBs in the world. Easily a level above and his transfer fee would be at least double that in a normal situation.

Cancelo again at Valencia and for Juventus. Talented albeit has areas he can improve. Why Pep signed Danilo I will never know. He was average at best at Madrid.

Its not hard to watch various leagues, numerous football fans do so. Some even 5/6 leagues.

Your views on Otamendi being at same level shows you either only watch Man City or your talent judgement is weak.
On centre back, agree that Otamendi is done at the top level, but I think we're happy to keep him as a 3rd choice unless he actively tries to force a move to Valencia, at which point we would get someone else in. It looks like we've shown with both Maguire and de Ligt that we're happy to bide our time, and won't be rushed in to overpaying for someone (same with the defensive midfielder issue last pre-season when we missed out on Jorginho and preferred to wait rather than get a Plan B option in).

On right back, again I don't think we'll sign anyone unless Danilo actively tries to force a move. I don't mind Danilo to be honest, he's not the greatest but he's a decent back-up/squad player which I think is all he was ever signed to be. If he does go, then I'd probably rather get Alves in as a stop gap than spend big money on Cancelo. I can't really see the value in having two big money right backs (Walker and Cancelo) competing for one spot.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city

Thanks for dropping in Toby.
:D
Seriously, I agree that Toby is more consistent than Ota but on his day Nico is a pretty good physical CB, particularly against the more agricultural type of opposition. Quite happy for him to be first reserve CB if he's OK with the role.
Wouldn't want Alderweireld as a replacement though.
Those slightly ageing, slowly declining players looking for a long contract on top money to see them into the autumn of their careers are not City's targets any more.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
we've apparently just signed some kid called Felix Correia from Sporting for £3.5m with £3.5m more in performance add-on's, anyone know much about him @SportingCP96 @SCP

I'm presuming he'll go straight to Girona.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
we've apparently just signed some kid called Felix Correia from Sporting for £3.5m with £3.5m more in performance add-on's, anyone know much about him @SportingCP96 @SCP

I'm presuming he'll go straight to Girona.
Very talented kid and the whole Sporting Forum is bummed we have lost him. We desperately tried to renew his contract but to no avail. He is one of the most talented of that generation. He was our best player from our junior team.

I am assuming this deal was from the apparent protocol that Sporting and Man City are trying to do together?

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Very talented kid and the whole Sporting Forum is bummed we have lost him. We desperately tried to renew his contract but to no avail. He is one of the most talented of that generation. He was our best player from our junior team.

I am assuming this deal was from the apparent protocol that Sporting and Man City are trying to do together?

possibly, how far was he off the first XI? maybe he'll stay on loan for a couple of seasons or maybe go back after a full season in the Segunda if he goes to Girona, be interesting to see how we develop him, never sure with City if they're just buying to sell with a buy back clause in a couple of years time.

SportingCP96

Supports
possibly, how far was he off the first XI? maybe he'll stay on loan for a couple of seasons or maybe go back after a full season in the Segunda if he goes to Girona, be interesting to see how we develop him, never sure with City if they're just buying to sell with a buy back clause in a couple of years time.
Hard to tell. They weren't willing to "promote him" unless he renewed his contract. This pre season for example we took many players from the youth setup. About 4 or 5 17 and 18 year olds and 1 16 year old and some impressed. I can imagine if he had renewed his contract he would have been there with them and would have had a chance to make his case.

Allegedly he wanted the same amount we had given Rafa Camacho who we signed from Liverpool. In my opinion Fekir is much better then Camacho.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
Think City will try to keep him at the club in the u23 team and possibly some early rounds Cup games this season.
We lost Rabbi Matondo to Schalke and this lad is likely to be his replacement.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Hard to tell. They weren't willing to "promote him" unless he renewed his contract. This pre season for example we took many players from the youth setup. About 4 or 5 17 and 18 year olds and 1 16 year old and some impressed. I can imagine if he had renewed his contract he would have been there with them and would have had a chance to make his case.

Allegedly he wanted the same amount we had given Rafa Camacho who we signed from Liverpool. In my opinion Fekir is much better then Camacho.
sounds similar to what happened with us and Jadon Sancho, obviously we'll not be guaranteeing him game time but i'd imagine if he goes to Girona or Breda he may get plenty of game time

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Think City will try to keep him at the club in the u23 team and possibly some early rounds Cup games this season.
We lost Rabbi Matondo to Schalke and this lad is likely to be his replacement.
ahh I always forget about the u23's, yeah a season in that then loan after that would make sense

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
ahh I always forget about the u23's, yeah a season in that then loan after that would make sense
Easy done mate, they’ve not been very well run lately but there was an improvement last season when they got to the semis of that EFL Cup until losing to Sunderland’s First XI.
Can see this lad doing well with us.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city

Is your forum discussing Thiago Almada?
If so, what is the opinion?

SportingCP96

Supports
Is your forum discussing Thiago Almada?
If so, what is the opinion?
We all agree he has fantastic potential but supports are torn about this whole Man City protocole.

We don’t like the Idea of basically developing a player and then City gets him and we don’t get as big a financial compensation. So essentially they view it as a loan.

Others think that if this protocol allows us to get players who will allow us to win the league after 18 years then they will take it.

None of them want to be a “feeder club” to Man City because we are too big of a club and brand too do that but that is what the Sporting fans think because even though the idea is for city and sporting to “split the rights of the player” we know in reality City have so much money to just buy us out and have the player for themselves when they feel he is ready.

From what our Argentine friends say they think Thiago is the real deal and the hottest property in Argentina. City feel sporting is the perfect club to develop and mold him.

I want to know the full details of this protocol before I form an opinion but if it means you guys can take our talents from our academy for peanuts then I think it’s a horrible idea for the club because that is the basis of how we make our teams.

On another hand it could be a very good partnership for both clubs both in terms of academy and developing players and in city having dibs on our hottest properties once they out grow the league.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Pep had a meltdown in his third season at Bayern.

Fingers crossed. I only want City to win 19-20 Premier if that means watching the scouse finshing 2nd again in their "30 Years Ago the Last One La!" Big Nothing Anniversary.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
We all agree he has fantastic potential but supports are torn about this whole Man City protocole.

We don’t like the Idea of basically developing a player and then City gets him and we don’t get as big a financial compensation. So essentially they view it as a loan.

Others think that if this protocol allows us to get players who will allow us to win the league after 18 years then they will take it.

None of them want to be a “feeder club” to Man City because we are too big of a club and brand too do that but that is what the Sporting fans think because even though the idea is for city and sporting to “split the rights of the player” we know in reality City have so much money to just buy us out and have the player for themselves when they feel he is ready.

From what our Argentine friends say they think Thiago is the real deal and the hottest property in Argentina. City feel sporting is the perfect club to develop and mold him.

I want to know the full details of this protocol before I form an opinion but if it means you guys can take our talents from our academy for peanuts then I think it’s a horrible idea for the club because that is the basis of how we make our teams.

On another hand it could be a very good partnership for both clubs both in terms of academy and developing players and in city having dibs on our hottest properties once they out grow the league.
Thanks for your thorough answer.
I realise that you must regard the “partnership” with some suspicion and to be honest I have no idea if it will have overall benefit for SCP but for both our advantage let us hope so.