Manchester City 19/20 season

ash_86

Well that's ridiculously unlucky. Could they play Walker in a back two with Otamendi? They don't really have to do that much defending most of the time anyway.
Yeah i don't see any other way unless someone from academy gets thrown in.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Let me find the violin :lol:
I wasn't after sympathy (let's be honest, having fit players is the difference between us finishing 1st and 2nd so it's hardly the end of the world). Just find it ironic that we didn't bother replacing Kompany - a decision I completely understood - and have now been hit with our worst run of injuries since Pep took over. :lol:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Huh, we'd have been accused of "stockpiling" if we'd bought either of De Ligt or Maguire in the summer as well.
I don't think you would have.

You let go of a first choice CB (for the second half of the season anyway) , so if you'd have bought someone i'm sure most (rational) people would have put it as a Kompany replacement, especially with Stones downturn in form and Otemendi being, well, Otemendi.

I think it's astonshing you didn't buy a CB to be honest... almost as astonishing as us not buying a midfielder (almost)

Hanks

Luckily their fixtures are quite kind until Anfield in early November.

But then again; so was Norwich A on paper.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
This might be a trouble some season for them and I don’t see them getting to 90ish points.

fergiesarmy1

I wasn't after sympathy (let's be honest, having fit players is the difference between us finishing 1st and 2nd so it's hardly the end of the world). Just find it ironic that we didn't bother replacing Kompany - a decision I completely understood - and have now been hit with our worst run of injuries since Pep took over. :lol:
Drugs must have stopped working :p

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Well that's ridiculously unlucky. Could they play Walker in a back two with Otamendi? They don't really have to do that much defending most of the time anyway.
About as unlucky as us not replacing Lukaku and Herrera and then suffering injuries to Martial and Pogba. These things have a tendency to come and bite you on the arse

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Fernandinho is their 4th choice centreback.

RedDevilRoshi

Did they go into the season with only 3 CBs?

I believe so. Kompany departed for Anderlecht and Mangala was let go.

Laporte, Stones and Otamendi

Pep refused to match our offer for Maguire which I’m sure he wished he did now

AshRK

Bad luck that. Pep regretting not spending that money on Maguire :lol:
Was also strange how they opted out from buying VVD because of the price. This whole nonsense strategy of we will not spend more than 65m on one player will bite them in their ass. It's not like they are not spending money because they are spending huge money even now.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Walker might be moved now to CB with Cancelo at RB
Gary Neville was suggesting that they move to a back three with Zinchenko & Cancelo as wing backs (which might suit Zinchenko a bit more). That was prior to Stones getting injured but a back three of Otamendi, Fernandinho & Walker seems fine considering how they play.

They could then play Rodri & De Bruyne in midfield with a front three still intact. They're full of options to rotate in and out of midfield/attack as well. D. Silva, B. Silva, Rodri, Gundogan, De Bruyne, Sterling, Aguero, Jesus, Mahrez...ridiculous amount of talent there.

Skills

Snitch
Gary Neville was suggesting that they move to a back three with Zinchenko & Cancelo as wing backs (which might suit Zinchenko a bit more). That was prior to Stones getting injured but a back three of Otamendi, Fernandinho & Walker seems fine considering how they play.

They could then play Rodri & De Bruyne in midfield with a front three still intact. They're full of options to rotate in and out of midfield/attack as well. D. Silva, B. Silva, Rodri, Gundogan, De Bruyne, Sterling, Aguero, Jesus, Mahrez...ridiculous amount of talent there.
Wingback will suit Mendy as well, if he can stay fit this season.

Treble

Liverpool will be absolutely loving this! Couldn’t have asked for anything better.

Who are they gonna play with Otamendi at CB now?
Well, they can't ask for more. However, when things go too well fate strikes back...

Was also strange how they opted out from buying VVD because of the price. This whole nonsense strategy of we will not spend more than 65m on one player will bite them in their ass. It's not like they are not spending money because they are spending huge money even now.
How much was Laporte? I'm sure he was close to 70mil

AshRK

How much was Laporte? I'm sure he was close to 70mil
Not completely sure but maybe 60-65 mil. I think city have created some model where they will not go beyond 65 mil on one player. More like a moral stance of not spending huge on one player.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Understatement.

If Pep sets up the same way he did last year at Anfield you'll be favorites, even if Otamendi starts instead of Laporte. I'd be worried more about Salah targeting Zinchenko.
We won't be favourites at Anfield under any circumstances, our record there is abysmal. We'll be ok though.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Not completely sure but maybe 60-65 mil. I think city have created some model where they will not go beyond 65 mil on one player. More like a moral stance of not spending huge on one player.
To be fair, it's reaped dividends for them.

I think they will be fine if they switch to a 3-5-2. They have the personnel to make that formation work.

padr81

Supports
Man City
We're playing Stones and Otamendi at Anfield... Cricket score comes to mind.
Looks like we're just playing Otamendi as @adexkola said, Zinchenko vs Salah puts us at a disadvantage. Its those half spaces out wide where Liverpool kill teams.

cyberman

I'd be worried that this side has been grinding for so long that trying to keep up with Liverpool as their defence lets them down could see mental fatigue coming to the fore.
2 titles out of 4 and nowhere in Europe during that time would bring a can do better grade IMO.

Judas

Open to offers
Looking great for Liverpool isn't it? At least if they run away with it, we'll have plenty of time to come to terms with the reality of them finally winning the PL after all these years.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Looking great for Liverpool isn't it? At least if they run away with it, we'll have plenty of time to come to terms with the reality of them finally winning the PL after all these years.
They create their own luck though, remember?

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
"Predict the next multi-million pound CB Pep will sign" thread upcoming