Manchester City 19/20 season

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Few months ago, Utd fans were admiring City and wishing we were in the position.
But at this moment, how many City players would you buy? Considering their age and injuries.

Keeper. No
Back four. Maybe Laporte (But with his injury, you probably wouldn't risk it).
Midfeild. Debryne, yes. Bernard Silva? Got Bruno now, so probably not.

David silva and fernindino ....too old.

Forwards. Sterling, yes.
Augero? Not worth it with price tag and age.
Mahrez? Possibly.

So basically.
Debryne
Sterling
And possibly Laporte and Mahrez.

How weird is that!
Yes, but they’ve got a generational talented manager who (usually) ekes every ounce of his players whilst we have a substitute P.E. teacher in charge of our lot.

There’s the difference and hence why most would hold City as the barometer still.

Skills

Snitch
They've zoned out of the league. They'll finish 2nd easily and I think they'll go full tilt for the cups and CL.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
19/20 city in a nutshell

Combined City vs Spurs

Shots: 47(35 inside the box, 1 penalty) vs 6 (4 inside the box, one from their own half)
Shots on target: 15 vs 5
xG: 6 vs 0.6
Goals: 2 vs 4

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
They are really overrated, aren't they?

For all the talk about greatest PL side ever(we had so many of those over the years, I am surprised no one is mentioning it), they managed just once this decade winning back to back titles in premiership, and even finished few times in 3rd and 4th place too with so many bad seasons for top teams in England this decade. Did nothing spectacular in CL too, and this season they are sitting 22 points behind Liverpool(we finished 22 points behind first place under Moyes after winning the title season before).

Amount of time people here went over the top with praising them over the years and especially under Guardiola just goes to show how overrated they are. If they don't do anything in CL this year I would argue that Pellegrini did better job than Guardiola
:lol: Fecking hell this post

charlenefan

Few months ago, Utd fans were admiring City and wishing we were in the position.
But at this moment, how many City players would you buy? Considering their age and injuries.

Keeper. No
Back four. Maybe Laporte (But with his injury, you probably wouldn't risk it).
Midfeild. Debryne, yes. Bernard Silva? Got Bruno now, so probably not.

David silva and fernindino ....too old.

Forwards. Sterling, yes.
Augero? Not worth it with price tag and age.
Mahrez? Possibly.

So basically.
Debryne
Sterling
And possibly Laporte and Mahrez.

How weird is that!
And this one isn't much better, you only have to look at someone like Gundogan, if he as at United he'd instantly be our best central midfielder yet at City he's probably 4th or 5th choice

And tbh whether you'd buy a player or not is different to are they better than what we have so yes many probably do still wish we had the players City do

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
:lol: Fecking hell this post
Care to elaborate what is the problem exactly? Only thing that was my opinion from that post was regarding Pellegrini, everything else are just facts from past few years.

charlenefan

Care to elaborate what is the problem exactly? Only thing that was my opinion from that post was regarding Pellegrini, everything else are just facts from past few years.
They're far from overrated, in the last 2 seasons they've won 5 trophies and amassed 198 league points in the process. They'll probably win at least 1 more trophy this season and finish (an albeit distant) 2nd. They're the only City side to retain the PL title in what way did Pellegrini do a better job?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
19/20 city in a nutshell

Combined City vs Spurs

Shots: 47(35 inside the box, 1 penalty) vs 6 (4 inside the box, one from their own half)
Shots on target: 15 vs 5
xG: 6 vs 0.6
Goals: 2 vs 4
I've been saying this all season but yeah, they are terrible at finishing. Just terrible. How does one rectify that?

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
They're far from overrated, in the last 2 seasons they've won 5 trophies and amassed 198 league points in the process. They'll probably win at least 1 more trophy this season and finish (an albeit distant) 2nd. They're the only City side to retain the PL title in what way did Pellegrini do a better job?
They were called the best PL side ever, they proved to nowhere near that. So that makes them very overrated.

charlenefan

They were called the best PL side ever, they proved to nowhere near that. So that makes them very overrated.
Liverpool are also being called the best PL side ever because like City before them they're doing something unprecedented this season. If not fulfilling your criteria to deserve a stupid name tag that gets thrown around ever season means they're overrated then ok City are overrated

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Liverpool are also being called the best PL side ever because like City before them they're doing something unprecedented this season. If not fulfilling your criteria to deserve a stupid name tag that gets thrown around ever season means they're overrated then ok City are overrated
OK, I am glad that we agree.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Love the fact that they won't get the 3-peat (would've hoped for someone other than Liverpool though).

Don't want to hear any shite about them being the best Premier League team ever, us winning 3 titles in 06-09 was also much more difficult given it was the peak of English dominance in Europe. They get one injury and their season collapses.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
From two months ago after we lost the Etihad derby. Still applies now.

With hindsight, the title went as soon as Laporte was ruled out for six months, but United winning today was the final nail. Today's killed any lingering hope City had that catching Liverpool was possible. No biggie, though - we can't win it every year, and after winning so much over the last decade it's hard to demand much more out of this club. We'll refresh in the summer and go again. As for the rest of this season, aiming to stay in the top three while having a run at the cups is going to make for a fun spring. Hopefully it'll remind me of the time I enjoyed the most as a City fan, which is when we were winning cups without expectation under Mancini. It's also what Ferguson used to do every third season during his years at United, where he'd take a year off from winning the league and prioritise a cup run, assess his squad, and build again for the next year. No pressure or crunch games left in the league for us now, hopefully - all that's left to do is say goodbye to some old heads (Silva), bring some kids through (Foden, E. Garcia) and play some good football.

Not only that, but given everything that's happened with the Hillsborough case this week (with the verdicts being overturned and messed around) it's hard to begrudge Liverpool anything at the moment. Their fans have had to fight for a lot over the last thirty years and a procession before finally winning the Premier League would go at least a little way to healing the pain they've endured at the hands of the British legal system. The same goes for Leicester, too, considering they're still recovering from the death of their owner. I wish them both really well for the rest of the season and I hope they make the title race really competitive. We had our nice story in 2012, we've just won two titles back-to-back, plus a load of cups - it'd be pretty spoiled of us to demand much more. Plus, I worked in Bury for a year just before they folded, I live near enough to Macclesfield and Bolton to feel the impact of them almost heading the same way, my local team is Stockport County and they've been a non-league club since 2011. This kinda stuff does affect my thinking.

It's been really easy to be a City fan this decade. A year like this is no biggie.

Josh 76

And this one isn't much better, you only have to look at someone like Gundogan, if he as at United he'd instantly be our best central midfielder yet at City he's probably 4th or 5th choice

And tbh whether you'd buy a player or not is different to are they better than what we have so yes many probably do still wish we had the players City do
Having them was not my point. It was buying them.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I've been saying this all season but yeah, they are terrible at finishing. Just terrible. How does one rectify that?
On the whole finishing isn't an issue for them. They have the weird outing here and there but for the most part they're finishing at a normal rate

It's their opponents finishing that is the issue. And it's not down to the gks, opponents are just shooting lights out against them

manc4red

Love the fact that they won't get the 3-peat (would've hoped for someone other than Liverpool though).

Don't want to hear any shite about them being the best Premier League team ever, us winning 3 titles in 06-09 was also much more difficult given it was the peak of English dominance in Europe. They get one injury and their season collapses.
tbf, it was four english sides in both the CL and EL finals last year, you cant be more dominant than that.

People also think that a great team will forever be great. Players age, opposition changes etc. This City team has a few fantastic players but alot of them are really not that good (Walker for example). Liverpool are comfortably superior to City this season.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
On the whole finishing isn't an issue for them. They have the weird outing here and there but for the most part they're finishing at a normal rate

It's their opponents finishing that is the issue. And it's not down to the gks, opponents are just shooting lights out against them
True but the latter is usually easier to fix or at least diagnose

_00_deathscar

Supports
Liverpool

It certainly was a great period.

How is this period different? England have had 3 of the last 4 finalists, and also had 2 Europa finalists last season.

meamth

Typical end of backbone cycle.

Pep needs to build another one.

He needs to replace Kompany, Fernandinho, David Silva and Aguero.

That'll take them at least 2 summers.

DAK222

Supports
Liverpool

How is this period different? England have had 3 of the last 4 finalists, and also had 2 Europa finalists last season.
The difference is that English dominance in Europe in 06-09 meant more back then just because Utd were doing well. Of course, it had nothing to do with Milan's great team coming to an end, Real not even making the quarters for years, Juve struggling to recover after Calciopoli or Bayern being consistently crap.

nore1975

Supports
Liverpool
1. Not replacing Kompany was a strange one.
2. The injuries to Laporte and Sane.
3. Fernandinho (34), Silva .D (33), Aguero (31) all key players for City but now in the final stages of their careers.
4. Lack of a proper and consistently fit left back.
5. Hard to maintain the hunger.

Guardiola has a big rebuild job on his hands. Before anyone starts to question how good City have been. Bear in mind that between 2017-19 they won 5/6 of all the domestic trophies. They were and to a lesser extent still are a brilliant team.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany

From 2005 to 2009 the EPL had a finalist in the UCL every year, and there were numerous seasons where there were also 3 semi finalists. The top 4 in the EPL (United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea) were clearly better than their counterparts in the other top leagues. It was really only AC Milan, who were lucky that they faced us when we were decimated with injuries, and two brilliant Barcelona teams that prevented the EPL from winning in those seasons.

Right now its just City and Liverpool who are amongst the top in Europe. Arsenal, Chelsea and United have all fallen behind while Tottenham have never really reached that top level.

Back then there were 4 amongst the best so it was much tougher to dominate the league like we did.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I still think, - at their very best, City could blow any team - including Liverpool - out of the water. When they're on it and you have the speed of movement and passing combinations they have its near impossible to stop.

However, whether its due to complacency or them just starting to shitting their pants as soon as things don't slightly go their way... its just too inconsistent. Having a wank defence doesn't help either.

DAK222

Supports
Liverpool
I still think, - at their very best, City could blow any team - including Liverpool - out of the water. When they're on it and you have the speed of movement and passing combinations they have its near impossible to stop.

However, whether its due to complacency or them just starting to shitting their pants as soon as things don't slightly go their way... its just too inconsistent. Having a wank defence doesn't help either.
Any examples of actual matches where City were at their so-called very best and a top quality opposition were "blown out of the water"? This is a serious question because I'd like to understand what sort of single-match performances you consider to be their "very best". I'm assuming you're not including 6-0,7-0,8-0 thumpings of minnows. Plus you're including Liverpool in this list based on what exactly? The 5-0 win against 10-man Liverpool (pre VVD, Alisson, Fabinho) at home?

Clearly, many fans just lazily extrapolate from some insanely high quality spells of football from City. Basically they think "Hey, look at that awesome bit of football. Now, how would it be if that football was played to complete perfection over 90 minutes? Won't they just destroy any team? What's that? Yes, I'm ignoring the infeasibility of physically performing like that for 90 minutes plus the possibility of the opposition playing to their very best as well."

Let me have a go now. Look at the football Liverpool played against City at home in the 2017/2018 PL season for 10 minutes of the second half where they went from 1-1 to 4-1. Now just imagine Liverpool playing like that for 90 minutes, whether it's physically possible or not. That would be their "very best". So I conclude that at their very best, Liverpool could blow any team - including City - out of the water. When they're on it and you have the speed of transition and pressing capabilities they have its near impossible to stop.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
The difference is that English dominance in Europe in 06-09 meant more back then just because Utd were doing well. Of course, it had nothing to do with Milan's great team coming to an end, Real not even making the quarters for years, Juve struggling to recover after Calciopoli or Bayern being consistently crap.
Is no one going to talk about the legendary elephant-in-the-room John Terry slip? And we're accused of being flukey. Lolz.

Rooney Ronaldo and Tevez yet only one CL won in three years and that through a fluke. Utter domination. :)

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Is no one going to talk about the legendary elephant-in-the-room John Terry slip? And we're accused of being flukey. Lolz.

Rooney Ronaldo and Tevez yet only one CL won in three years and that through a fluke. Utter domination. :)
You do realise that team was also in another two CL finals during those years, only to be stopped by the best team in history led by probably best player in history of the game during his and their peak?

Also lost in quarter finals in 2010. against a team that won the competition year after, and lost the semifinal game in 2007. against Milan who also went on and win the competition that year.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
You do realise that team was also in another two CL finals during those years, only to be stopped by the best team in history led by probably best player in history of the game during his and their peak?

Also lost in quarter finals in 2010. against a team that won the competition year after, and lost the semifinal game in 2007. against Milan who also went on and win the competition that year.
Hmm, as I have lived and breathed Redcafe I can only ask this as a long time poster: what trophy do you win for second place or quarterfinal finish?

cyberman

Utd set a lot of European records during that time?

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Hmm, as I have lived and breathed Redcafe I can only ask this as a long time poster: what trophy do you win for second place or quarterfinal finish?
And what is the difference in winning a trophy after John Terry slip with yours CL trophy from last year?

The argumen is that United were European powerhouse during that 2006-2011 period, something that Liverpool is yet to prove with this team.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Any examples of actual matches where City were at their so-called very best and a top quality opposition were "blown out of the water"? This is a serious question because I'd like to understand what sort of single-match performances you consider to be their "very best". I'm assuming you're not including 6-0,7-0,8-0 thumpings of minnows. Plus you're including Liverpool in this list based on what exactly? The 5-0 win against 10-man Liverpool (pre VVD, Alisson, Fabinho) at home?

Clearly, many fans just lazily extrapolate from some insanely high quality spells of football from City. Basically they think "Hey, look at that awesome bit of football. Now, how would it be if that football was played to complete perfection over 90 minutes? Won't they just destroy any team? What's that? Yes, I'm ignoring the infeasibility of physically performing like that for 90 minutes plus the possibility of the opposition playing to their very best as well."

Let me have a go now. Look at the football Liverpool played against City at home in the 2017/2018 PL season for 10 minutes of the second half where they went from 1-1 to 4-1. Now just imagine Liverpool playing like that for 90 minutes, whether it's physically possible or not. That would be their "very best". So I conclude that at their very best, Liverpool could blow any team - including City - out of the water. When they're on it and you have the speed of transition and pressing capabilities they have its near impossible to stop.
Well for a start, the 45 mins at home against us in the league cup... and you can say we're not a top team, but Liverpool have hardly blown us away this season.

Liverpool are obviously impressive, and the speed at which they play destroys most teams... but I still do think that a top level City in attack is better then a top level Liverpool in attack (even if it's only marginal)... we just don't see the former enough, which is why Liverpool are the much better side.

Besides, don't you think a City team playing at a top level could do damage to any team? Of course they could, they have incredible players.

Last edited:

ExecutionerWasp001

The irony of Liverpool fans criticizing Utd for being lucky in the CL. We were on the wrong end of some of the poorest decisions ever seen in the competitition during our era of dominance. The Porto & Madrid games stand out the most. We were the best team in the competition in those years & would have won the title but for abysmal officiating. We also ran into the best club side ever in 2 finals. Your 2 CL titles were as stuffy as they come. You were completely played off the park by Milan in your first final. The less said about your run through Europe's fallen giants & the horrendous penalty decision in last years final the better. Don't even get me started on the 4 European Cups you won while being financially doped with the Pools money.

TheReligion

Abusive

You're wasting your time with @Dumbstar as he just wants to be a dick at the moment. The fact he can't recognise the level of competition in Europe in that period was far far higher than currently speaks volumes. He probably thinks this Liverpool side would hammer United and Barca of that period and win the World Cup.

_00_deathscar

Supports
Liverpool

That run is not too different from Liverpool 2004/2005 - 2008/2009...
Two finals
A semi
One quarter

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Two finals
A semi
One quarter
All achieved during one of our three dark decades. Great strength in Europe that was when a fat Spanish waiter could even make his mark on it. :rolleyes::houllier:

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Two finals
A semi
One quarter
Except United won 4 league titles in the process too, and missed one on goal difference and the other one by one point.

manc4red

Lets just all agree to disagree here. Teams are always in a flux. Too many variables in the football world to truly stay ‘great’ for a stretch of time. A great team like what City had is no longer that great as their core players age and some have left

A fantastic manager like SAF is able to constantly tweak and replace so that a team doesnt fully dip under his tenure. Bless Fergie, yes there were some dry spells under his watch but the man has really built, rebuilt, maintain us for decades at the very top. To me that is why SAF is undeniably the greatest manager... in my opinion of all time.

It takes true skill and ability to build a team to win the CL or PL etc. But it takes a lengendary coach to do this over and over and over again. Thats why the crop of coaches we had seemed so inferior (and really, LVG or Mourinho are good coaches themselves). When comparing to GOAT, it is very hard to measure up

Siorac

Buys a top striker/forward or two to lighten the load on Agüero? He's their only clinical finisher.