Manchester City 19/20 season

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Now that their new kit is launched for the forthcoming season and players are about to leave and new ones arrive I think a new thread is due.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
Just a brief update about ins and outs.

Out

Vincent Kompany-contract expired, now Anderlecht Manager

Danilo, Nicolas Otamendi, Leroy Sane and Ilkay Gundogan are either unsettled or nearing end of contract so are possibilities to go.

David Silva has announced that this will be his last season.

In

Rodrigo Hernandez of Atletico Madrid looks certain to join as a holding midfielder as City are willing to meet the release clause and the player seems keen to come.

Joao Cancello of Juventus may be signed if Danilo leaves but Bayern are hovering (as usual).

Angelino looks likely to return to the club as he’s been outstanding for PSV Eindhoven and City can exercise a £12m buyback clause. He was a good Academy player but was sold with the clause and has come on a ton since. He’s an all-action LB/LWB who can cover the position where we currently have permacrock Ben Mendy and converted midfielder Oleks Zinchenko.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Squad for the season likely to be (homegrown in bold):
Ederson, Bravo

Walker, Danilo (or Cancelo)
Stones, Laporte, Otamendi, Fernandinho
Zinchenko, Mendy, Angelino

Rodri, Gundogan
De Bruyne, D. Silva, Foden
Sterling
, Bernardo, Sane, Mahrez

Aguero, Jesus

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I think they will have a more normal season next year, maybe 85-90 points. Their side will be one year older, Pep may be getting his 4th year itch to move on, and they don't look like they will be making too many new additions.

I do think they will win the league, but I can see it being their last for a few years.

Squad for the season likely to be (homegrown in bold):
You're signing that 35 year old keeper from La Liga too I believe. How you getting around the homegrown rules? I thought it was 8 minimum?

ExecutionerWasp001

Hopefully they win the league again because we certainly aren't going to.
The quality of the league & especially the top 6 is likely to be even worse than last season. They should win the league quite easily next season. Wouldn't expect them to get LC & FAC runs as easy as last season so don't see them doing the domestic treble.

It's a huge & highly pressurized season coming for them though & will likely be the end of this golden period they've had. This will in all probability be Pep's last year due to burn out & the current investigations. The CL will be the priority. If he doesn't win it then his time at City would have to be deemed a failure.

We then have the conclusion of the various investigations against them. If things don't go their way it cut's their current business model off at the knees. No European football, no top coach & having to spend according to their genuine revenue could see the whole foundations crumble. Interesting times.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
The quality of the league & especially the top 6 is likely to be even worse than last season. They should win the league quite easily next season. Wouldn't expect them to get LC & FAC runs as easy as last season so don't see them doing the domestic treble.

It's a huge & highly pressurized season coming for them though & will likely be the end of this golden period they've had. This will in all probability be Pep's last year due to burn out & the current investigations. The CL will be the priority. If he doesn't win it then his time at City would have to be deemed a failure.

We then have the conclusion of the various investigations against them. If things don't go their way it cut's their current business model off at the knees. No European football, no top coach & having to spend according to their genuine revenue could see the whole foundations crumble. Interesting times.
By idiots.

There's really no other way to put it.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
You're signing that 35 year old keeper from La Liga too I believe. How you getting around the homegrown rules? I thought it was 8 minimum?
The rule is there has to be a maximum of 17 non-homegrown players. They can have as few homegrown players as they want (maximum of 8), but reducing squad size isn't ideal if you have injury problems.

There is no such thing as a homegrown minimum, only a non-homegrown maximum of 17. Regarding Riesgo, I think if Bravo is still recovering he will simply be left out of the squad at least for the first half of the season. I don't see why Pep would need two 35-year-old back-up keepers otherwise.

GK Ederson, Bravo or Riesgo
RB Walker, Danilo or Cancelo
CB Stones, Laporte, Otamendi
LB Angeliño, Mendy, Zinchenko
DM Rodrigo, Fernandinho
AM Foden, De Bruyne, Silva, Gündoğan
RW Bernardo, Mahrez
LW Sterling, Sané
CF Agüero, Jesus

Angeliño is club-trained and Foden is still eligible for the B-List (U21), as are the likes of Grimshaw, Muric, Eric García and Douglas Luiz (subject to work permit). No place for Mangala and Sandler. Delph is leaving, right? In that case, there is still place for one association-trained homegrown player and three club-trained ones if needed.

Tostao_80

Just a brief update about ins and outs.

Out

Vincent Kompany-contract expired, now Anderlecht Manager

Danilo, Nicolas Otamendi, Leroy Sane and Ilkay Gundogan are either unsettled or nearing end of contract so are possibilities to go.

David Silva has announced that this will be his last season.

In

Rodrigo Hernandez of Atletico Madrid looks certain to join as a holding midfielder as City are willing to meet the release clause and the player seems keen to come.

Joao Cancello of Juventus may be signed if Danilo leaves but Bayern are hovering (as usual).

Angelino looks likely to return to the club as he’s been outstanding for PSV Eindhoven and City can exercise a £12m buyback clause. He was a good Academy player but was sold with the clause and has come on a ton since. He’s an all-action LB/LWB who can cover the position where we currently have permacrock Ben Mendy and converted midfielder Oleks Zinchenko.
Just wondering why Pep wasnt in for DeLigt? He seems like the perfect defender for City and the price is affordable. Is Maguire really that much better?

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
Just wondering why Pep wasnt in for DeLigt? He seems like the perfect defender for City and the price is affordable. Is Maguire really that much better?
Price was affordable, the bolt ons weren't.

Scaring Europe to Death

Supports
Manchester City
Bonucci linked today.

Too early to speculate, but assuming that Rodri arrives, whilst hoping that Foden continues to progress, then the squad will start to look younger.
Each season is different so no bold predictions from me. However, the Copa America and African Cup of Nations will undoubtedly lead to a slow, gradual start for many players from both City and Liverpool.
Had to laugh when an earlier poster suggested that Guardiola might be a flop if City don't win the Champions League, when in reality, the reason that we're one of the favourites, is the dramatic progress that Sterling, De Bruyne, and Bernardo Silva have all made under his personal tuition.(two of those players were lightweight, expensive flops under the previous incumbent).
Mendy still remains the enigmatic, (bordering on social media idiot), expensive Full Back, who has somehow won a World Cup and two Premier League Medals, despite hardly kicking a ball.
He is also a brilliant, attacking option, so for the moment, we'll have to wait and see.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

There is no such thing as a homegrown minimum, only a non-homegrown maximum of 17. Regarding Riesgo, I think if Bravo is still recovering he will simply be left out of the squad at least for the first half of the season. I don't see why Pep would need two 35-year-old back-up keepers otherwise.

GK Ederson, Bravo or Riesgo
RB Walker, Danilo or Cancelo
CB Stones, Laporte, Otamendi
LB Angeliño, Mendy, Zinchenko
DM Rodrigo, Fernandinho
AM Foden, De Bruyne, Silva, Gündoğan
RW Bernardo, Mahrez
LW Sterling, Sané
CF Agüero, Jesus

Angeliño is club-trained and Foden is still eligible for the B-List (U21), as are the likes of Grimshaw, Muric, Eric García and Douglas Luiz (subject to work permit). No place for Mangala and Sandler. Delph is leaving, right? In that case, there is still place for one association-trained homegrown player and three club-trained ones if needed.
Definitely need a new centre back to partner Laporte.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

I think we'll be using Fernandinho as a CB this season. Not as his main position, but in a "needs must" capacity.
Maybe. Laporte, Stones, Otamendi & Fernandinho just looks a little light for a team wanting to win the Champions League for me.

Otamendi is a good player with a brain fart in him, Stones looks shaky every time I watch him, and Fernandinho is an ageing DM.

Surprised you're not looking at Toby at £25m tbh.

Treble

I think they will have a more normal season next year, maybe 85-90 points. Their side will be one year older, Pep may be getting his 4th year itch to move on, and they don't look like they will be making too many new additions.

I do think they will win the league, but I can see it being their last for a few years.

Given that most of their players are in (or entering) their prime, that's a good thing. Wouldn't be surprised if they amassed 98-100 pts again.

Stacks

Sure. I mean De Bruyne will play more, Sterling, Aguero, Bernado Silva Mandy, aaaaand it's gone. They'll stroll towards 95 pts again. Teams don't even try

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
Bonucci linked today.

Too early to speculate, but assuming that Rodri arrives, whilst hoping that Foden continues to progress, then the squad will start to look younger.
Each season is different so no bold predictions from me. However, the Copa America and African Cup of Nations will undoubtedly lead to a slow, gradual start for many players from both City and Liverpool.
Had to laugh when an earlier poster suggested that Guardiola might be a flop if City don't win the Champions League, when in reality, the reason that we're one of the favourites, is the dramatic progress that Sterling, De Bruyne, and Bernardo Silva have all made under his personal tuition.(two of those players were lightweight, expensive flops under the previous incumbent).
Mendy still remains the enigmatic, (bordering on social media idiot), expensive Full Back, who has somehow won a World Cup and two Premier League Medals, despite hardly kicking a ball.
He is also a brilliant, attacking option, so for the moment, we'll have to wait and see.
If one of the two players you refer to as a lightweight, expensive flop under Pellegrini is KDB then I think you've been out in the sun too long. He was superb in his first season at City-Pellegrini's last-and less so in his second (Peps 4th place in PL Fraudiola season).

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Linked with Ake today. Would probably prefer him to signing Maguire for a ridiculous fee.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
Rodrigo release clause to be paid by City today according to Jose Alvarez Haya (journo close to City Spanish speaking contingent).

SambaBoy

A lot of people prediciting they won't do as well but I don't see why not.

Rodri will be a fantastic signing and will finally take some of the load of Fernandinho, they lost 2 Prem games when he was absent last year. Foden progressed throughout last season an this summer, he will get more minutes this time round I reckon which will increase their depth in midfield.

Finally have a back-up for LB who's not a midfielder, from reports Angelino will be a solid addition.

Main thing is having KdB back fully fit, a summer off. Didn't really feature much for them last season so he will be a big plus. I'd imagine they will bring in a CB too which they need.

Scaring Europe to Death

Supports
Manchester City
If one of the two players you refer to as a lightweight, expensive flop under Pellegrini is KDB then I think you've been out in the sun too long. He was superb in his first season at City-Pellegrini's last-and less so in his second (Peps 4th place in PL Fraudiola season).
Sorry, I should have attached quotation marks.
I was referring to the media perception of KDB and Sterling, as they certainly weren't regarded as World Class until 17/18 (KDB) and 18/19 (Sterling).
I believe "Fraudiola" was also spawned from ignorant media ridicule.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
Athletico confirmed that City have paid Rodri's release clause. Great signing and thankfully Fernandinho won't be our only defensive midfielder at 74 years old.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Ridiculous transfer. Was only 20m for Atletico last season and now City are buying him for 60m. Idiots, should have been more proactive last season.

Varun

Staff
Maybe he is confidant that he can win a first team place. He won't get a move to a club as good as Man City and walk into the first team.
Yes, you can't blame him for backing himself. These guys operate on a different mentality, that's partly what makes them who they are but he's good enough to nail down a place at a tier 2 club and given his age, a tier 1 move can be earnt later. I won't blame him for taking his chances but just don't think it'd be wise

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
Sorry, I should have attached quotation marks.
I was referring to the media perception of KDB and Sterling, as they certainly weren't regarded as World Class until 17/18 (KDB) and 18/19 (Sterling).
I believe "Fraudiola" was also spawned from ignorant media ridicule.
S’OK mate no hassle.
Kev was actually fans POTY in his first season but his form dipped a bit in his 2nd season here (Peps first) which some put down to the arrival of his first sprog who was a bit whiney by all accounts.
He was superb again in the 100 Pts season and unlucky with injuries last time.
If this pattern continues he’s due an “up” season this time :)

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Yes, you can't blame him for backing himself. These guys operate on a different mentality, that's partly what makes them who they are but he's good enough to nail down a place at a tier 2 club and given his age, a tier 1 move can be earnt later. I won't blame him for taking his chances but just don't think it'd be wise
I personally think he'd be great for Man United but sadly he does not fit Ole Gunnar Farage's particular preferences.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
For people who've actually seen Rodri play, does this mean he'll compete with Fernandinho for a starting slot in most games or could the two of them form a partnership in the centre of midfield? I could only foresee the latter in the 'tougher' games, especially in Europe, as I can't see Pep sacrificing a more attacking player to accommodate those two on a regular basis.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Fully expecting them to retain the title again.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
For people who've actually seen Rodri play, does this mean he'll compete with Fernandinho for a starting slot in most games or could the two of them form a partnership in the centre of midfield? I could only foresee the latter in the 'tougher' games, especially in Europe, as I can't see Pep sacrificing a more attacking player to accommodate those two on a regular basis.
Pep doesn’t like the “twin pivots” formation so I can only see them playing together if Dinho is started at CB or on the very rare occasion that he wants to keep things tight (eg Anfield or NWHL last season).