Manchester City 19/20 season

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Pep had a meltdown in his third season at Bayern.

Fingers crossed. I only want City to win 19-20 Premier if that means watching the scouse finshing 2nd again in their "30 Years Ago the Last One La!" Big Nothing Anniversary.
Do you never tire of these BS stats?
Pep’s tenure at City is not comparable to that at Bayern or Barca so why speculate that the outcome will be the same?
We were told that LVG won League titles everywhere he went and Mou always won themin his second season.
That went well.

Tostao_80

Icardi as said above brings too much baggage and is too static on the pitch anyway.

Right now the only ready made replacement I see for Aguero is Mbappe.
Mbappe isn't comfortable being the full time sole forward player, ie a 9. He prefers to wander and use his pace down the wings to full effect (ala Titi). Look how restricted and quiet he looked against United in the CL. He didn't have much chance to run at the full backs. He's a forward, not necessarily a striker. There's a reason France play a classic 9 in Giroud with Kyllian. Mbappe would be great coming in from the left for City.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Thanks for your thorough answer.
I realise that you must regard the “partnership” with some suspicion and to be honest I have no idea if it will have overall benefit for SCP but for both our advantage let us hope so.
How do City fans feel about this potential “partnership”?

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
we've apparently just signed some kid called Felix Correia from Sporting for £3.5m with £3.5m more in performance add-on's, anyone know much about him @SportingCP96 @SCP

I'm presuming he'll go straight to Girona.
Think he had 1 year left on his contract so as City were interested in him and knowing Hugo Viana on the last months has been on conversations with City it was the possible deal for us.

He is a interesting player, of course needs to gain experience, don’t know if Girona is the right place or no, let’s see how he develops for the future, so far I would say Patrick Roberts with the same age was a bigger prospect.

IrishRedDevil

What’s this about Pep delaying picking a Captain? Media trying to stir up some nonsense over nothing, I assume?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Pep had a meltdown in his third season at Bayern.

Fingers crossed. I only want City to win 19-20 Premier if that means watching the scouse finshing 2nd again in their "30 Years Ago the Last One La!" Big Nothing Anniversary.
:confused:

It could be argued that his third season was his strongest.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
What’s this about Pep delaying picking a Captain? Media trying to stir up some nonsense over nothing, I assume?
yeah, nothing story, apparently from what I've seen he's letting the players decide it amongst themselves

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
How do City fans feel about this potential “partnership”?
To be honest with you I would say that most don't know much if anything about it.
Most fans know of the City Football Group and the teams like NYCFC and Melbourne but the European partner clubs get less publicity just being associated with rather than owned by City.
The more informed fans are starting to warm to the idea of partner clubs with the recent resigning of Angelino and the sale of Douglas Luiz to Aston Villa with buyback option. Previously the perception was that once promising players were shunted off to Girona or Breda then sold for nominal fees without being given a chance in Manchester.
The arrangement with Sporting will (hopefully) be a bit different.
Your club are much more prestigious and well supported than the others with a high standard of play to live up to so I expect only highly rated prospects will be involved.
We will see how it all works out.

We were, of course, linked with Bruno a while ago but not too much lately. He seems to have crazy stats but if we have left the field clear for United to maybe take him then there must be a flaw in his game. Do you agree?

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
Mbappe isn't comfortable being the full time sole forward player, ie a 9. He prefers to wander and use his pace down the wings to full effect (ala Titi). Look how restricted and quiet he looked against United in the CL. He didn't have much chance to run at the full backs. He's a forward, not necessarily a striker. There's a reason France play a classic 9 in Giroud with Kyllian. Mbappe would be great coming in from the left for City.
He certainly would and City thought so when they tried to sign him from Monaco when he was 16.
He would be too expensive for us now unless we unloaded a top priced player in a similar role such as Sane or Gabriel Jesus.
The idea now is to find the next Aguero or Mbappe. He's out there somewhere.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
yeah, nothing story, apparently from what I've seen he's letting the players decide it amongst themselves
Not sure if it's official but I think that the pecking order for the armband is

David Silva
De Bruyne
Fernandinho

KDB has the most assertiveness of the current first team.
Tommy Doyle will do the job one day.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
To be honest with you I would say that most don't know much if anything about it.
Most fans know of the City Football Group and the teams like NYCFC and Melbourne but the European partner clubs get less publicity just being associated with rather than owned by City.
The more informed fans are starting to warm to the idea of partner clubs with the recent resigning of Angelino and the sale of Douglas Luiz to Aston Villa with buyback option. Previously the perception was that once promising players were shunted off to Girona or Breda then sold for nominal fees without being given a chance in Manchester.
The arrangement with Sporting will (hopefully) be a bit different.
Your club are much more prestigious and well supported than the others with a high standard of play to live up to so I expect only highly rated prospects will be involved.
We will see how it all works out.

We were, of course, linked with Bruno a while ago but not too much lately. He seems to have crazy stats but if we have left the field clear for United to maybe take him then there must be a flaw in his game. Do you agree?
I think he would fit in well in City but your squad is so deep that I don’t think city thinks it makes any sense to ou 70M for a player who might be on the bench or starting. Him and Silva (Bernardo) would be fun to see together.

United Roar

They don't have the money for a centre back now haha. 2.5bn spent on players staff and facilities in 10 years and they can't buy a centre
City will win the League again regardless nobody will stop them. He wanted two players last summer but only got one he didn't bitch and moan about it like Jose did he just got on with it.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
:confused:

It could be argued that his third season was his strongest.
He probably means his second season when all this injury problems occured and there was a bit of war between Pep and Bayern's medical staff...

RochaRoja

Do you never tire of these BS stats?
Pep’s tenure at City is not comparable to that at Bayern or Barca so why speculate that the outcome will be the same?
We were told that LVG won League titles everywhere he went and Mou always won themin his second season.
That went well.
Bayern won the double in his third season at Bayern, winning 28 out of 34 league games.

Also, this is Pep’s fourth season at City.

ExecutionerWasp001

They don't have the money for a centre back now haha. 2.5bn spent on players staff and facilities in 10 years and they can't buy a centre
They couldn't afford Laporte last January. Mansour stepped in with a £60 Mill cash injection enabling them to fund the transfer a report a small profit. City business :) The current investigations may be forcing them to reign in their spending. Any irregularities from this point would constitute a new investigation. They would be in very hot water if the current investigation goes against them & then another investigation is started straight after.

The league is so poor at the moment that their defence is rarely pressurized. They will get away with playing Stones/Otamendi/Fernandinho next to Laporte for the majority of games. The lack of a decent CB to partner Laporte could hurt them in the CL though as teams will test them.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
He's off again with the no money chat :lol: tiresome prick
What's the difference between that and "no value in the market"?
Both are tactical ploys to try to get prospective sellers to be realistic with their demands.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
Cancelo just landed in Manchester by all reports. Swap for Danilo and around £25m.

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
Cancelo just landed in Manchester by all reports. Swap for Danilo and around £25m.
I'll be honest, I've not seen Cancelo play before. Does seem slightly strange though that we're spending another decent chunk of cash on a right back when we've just handed Walker a new contract?

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
I'll be honest, I've not seen Cancelo play before. Does seem slightly strange though that we're spending another decent chunk of cash on a right back when we've just handed Walker a new contract?
It's not bad to get him some even better rivalry, and also, Cancelo can be deployed as a winger, too. Maybe we might even see both of them on the pitch at the same time, with Walker as RCB.

Red Keane

Perhaps because they are (like us) lacking in any decent options to wear the armband? Certainly I feel they are better off giving it to whatever top quality CB signing the club need to make rather than give it to the likes of D.Silva (who is not a long-term option), KDB, Fernandinho (again not a long-term option) or Otamendi.

Personally I feel it is a combination of Pep still underestimating what kind of squad they need dominate both the PL & CL and the fact the club have been acting very stingy (one would say almost Arsenal/Spurs/United like) over transfers in recent years for no apparent reason, rather than themselves deeming him to be a flawed player that Pep would be unable to improve upon.

He would be too expensive for us now unless we unloaded a top priced player in a similar role such as Sane or Gabriel Jesus.
Personally I feel that the Qataris bad relations with the UAE would be a bigger reason to why they would not sell him to City rather thank City being "unable" to afford him.

The idea now is to find the next Aguero or Mbappe. He's out there somewhere.
The problem is though, if that player does emerge within the Top 5 Leagues of Europe, he would end up costing almost as much as a Mbappe/Kane signing anyway. So there is no real way of getting out spending big money on a Aguero replacement.

They couldn't afford Laporte last January. Mansour stepped in with a £60 Mill cash injection enabling them to fund the transfer a report a small profit. City business :) The current investigations may be forcing them to reign in their spending. Any irregularities from this point would constitute a new investigation. They would be in very hot water if the current investigation goes against them & then another investigation is started straight after.
The thing is though, they really need to accept that short of adopting the ambitions of a Mid-Table club. UEFA is clearly not going stop hounding them over FFP no matter how much they do/don't spend every season, which they only do in the first place to protect the owners of the big clubs (especially the likes of the Glazers) and their apparently god given right to remain at the top.

In other words they should not even bother trying to please UEFA, spend what they need to spend to improve they squad and take UEFA to court if they bring about charges of FFP violations against them in response to bring down the whole stupid scheme.

As for why (as a United fan) I would support such a move, it is so that the owners of the established big clubs (especially the likes of United & Arsenal) end up getting a kick up their arses and thus are forced to invest into their teams (be it on transfers and/or their youth) to properly compete with them in their Domestic Leagues/CL.

The league is so poor at the moment that their defence is rarely pressurized.
They almost lost the league to a side that featured Mignolet, Lovern, Moreno & Matip among their ranks. All the while getting knocked out the CL by a team didn't spend a penny thoughout last season and didn't even have their best player on the ptich most of that leg.

So losing their best CB (when fit) and their only decent choice for captain is not going help address that issue for the upcoming season.

They will get away with playing Stones/Otamendi/Fernandinho next to Laporte for the majority of games.
Stones is not yet good enough to be a first choice CB, Otamendi is basically a slightly better option than Chris Smalling (who is not good enought to play for United under any capacity) and Fernandinho is still needed at DM until Rodri is up to speed with the PL. Heck if it wasn't for Kompany playing for the team during the 2nd half of season, they might have actually lost the league. So I don't see how they could get away with it this season.

The lack of a decent CB to partner Laporte could hurt them in the CL though as teams will test them.
Especially when last season, there was a clear lack of quality/competition for the CB places in their lineup (as was shown by the fact that Laporte felt he could get away with a absolutely terrible peformance against Spurs in the CL last season, knowing that Pep would never drop him for someone like Otamendi).

Last edited:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
It is very strange. It's great to have strength in depth and in Cancelo I thought Juve had the best RB in Europe so very strange they're happy to move him on after only one year but from City's stand point I can't see Walker being happy being benched so I would assume Cancelo will be the back up but like I said he's quality?

dbs235

He can play left-back too can't he?

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
It is very strange. It's great to have strength in depth and in Cancelo I thought Juve had the best RB in Europe so very strange they're happy to move him on after only one year but from City's stand point I can't see Walker being happy being benched so I would assume Cancelo will be the back up but like I said he's quality?
He's not going to be coming in to replace Walker directly. Kyle was overplayed last season and it showed at times.
As stated earlier there will be times when both start Walker on Right of a back 3 and Cancelo as a sort of RWB.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
Like others have said, it's good to give Walker some serious competition, but I believe Cancelo is a level above him. Once he's up to speed he'll be our number one. Walker has a tendancy to struggle with the final ball, and Cancelo excels there. Assuming of course this transfer does go through.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He's not going to be coming in to replace Walker directly. Kyle was overplayed last season and it showed at times.
As stated earlier there will be times when both start Walker on Right of a back 3 and Cancelo as a sort of RWB.
I don't think you appreciate the level of ability Cancelo has. You don't buy a player of his ability and use him sparingly unless there's more than meets the eye which would explain why Juve are so keen to get rid

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
I don't think you appreciate the level of ability Cancelo has. You don't buy a player of his ability and use him sparingly unless there's more than meets the eye which would explain why Juve are so keen to get rid
From the limited amount I've seen of him he seems brilliant going forward but not as good as a stopper. In Peps system(s) there will probably be some games which will suit him but a few where a more cautious approach will be taken.
I'm not aware that the reason for his departure from Juve is anything other than financial. One or two of the good players have to go to accommodate the wages and fees of others.
Just balancing the books.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
I had to check how old Kyle Walker is. Thinking he was past 30, but he's still only 29 and doesn't look like slowing down any time soon. But if you can get Cancelo for only £27m + Danilo it's a no brainer. Their squad is ridiculous and it would be a complete utter failure to not win the league again.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
I had to check how old Kyle Walker is. Thinking he was past 30, but he's still only 29 and doesn't look like slowing down any time soon. But if you can get Cancelo for only £27m + Danilo it's a no brainer. Their squad is ridiculous and it would be a complete utter failure to not win the league again.
That's disrespecting Liverpool a bit. A couple of serious injuries for City strikers/CB's could make a big difference.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
That's disrespecting Liverpool a bit. A couple of serious injuries for City strikers/CB's could make a big difference.
I agree with CB's. Stones, Otamendi and Laporte is running it a bit tight for a season where you expect to play 60+ games. Mangala I presume is out of favour and his place in the squad could be better utilised by a youth prospect.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
They almost lost the league to a side that featured Mignolet, Lovern, Moreno & Matip among their ranks. All the while getting knocked out the CL by a team didn't spend a penny thoughout last season and didn't even have their best player on the ptich most of that leg.

So losing their best CB (when fit) and their only decent choice for captain is not going help address that issue for the upcoming season.
Kompany has not been City's best defender for 2 years now. Otamendi and Stones were the go to starting partnership in 17-18, and it was Laporte and Stones in 18-19.

They probably need one more CB for cover but it's not the gaping hole or flaw in their squad you're making it out to be.

Stones is not yet good enough to be a first choice CB, Otamendi is basically a slightly better option than Chris Smalling (who is not good enought to play for United under any capacity) and Fernandinho is still needed at DM until Rodri is up to speed with the PL. Heck if it wasn't for Kompany playing for the team during the 2nd half of season, they might have actually lost the league. So I don't see how they could get away with it this season.

Especially when last season, there was a clear lack of quality/competition for the CB places in their lineup (as was shown by the fact that Laporte felt he could get away with a absolutely terrible peformance against Spurs in the CL last season, knowing that Pep would never drop him for someone like Otamendi).
That is wrong. Well, except for that goal. But all 4 defenders featured in the run in that saw City concede 3 goals in 13 games. City had a torrid December but were fine afterwards.

There is no evidence linking Laporte and Ederson's brainfarts in the CL to a lack of competition. Laporte was, next to VVD, the best CB in the PL last season.