Manchester City banned from CL for 2 seasons and fined 30 million euros | CAS - Ban lifted, fined 10 million

kidbob

The real farce will be when Pep buys a whole new defence and shiny new striker with all their legitimate earned funds and proceeds to walk the League while being dubbed some sort of genius. I'm going to guess at 350m net spend. Amazing to think that a Liverpool team on track to break all sorts of records will likely end up considered second favourites for the league next year.

GiddyUp

Cheating's back on the menu boys. UEFA & FIFA are such a fecking joke.

UnitedFan93

The fine is a fecking joke. They're either guilty or not. City should either face the original punishment or not face any punishment at all. This watered down punishment looks like someone's after the money.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Also, it is possible to defend City against clearly flimsy and politically motivated charges from a corrupt organisation motivated not by fairness but appeasing the status-quo, and simultaneously hold the belief that City's investment deserves scrutiny and criticism + its owners are part of a government that in many ways is morally reprehensible.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Liverpool. Seen as they're actually capable of challenging us. We tend not to see sides who we have finished above for seven consecutive seasons now as 'rivals'. More like noisy neighbours ;)
This season you challenged Liverpool? They might have something to say about that pal. :D

padr81

Supports
Man City
The real farce will be when Pep buys a whole new defence and shiny new striker with all their legitimate earned funds and proceeds to walk the League while being dubbed some sort of genius. I'm going to guess at 350m net spend. Amazing to think that a Liverpool team on track to break all sorts of records will likely end up considered second favourites for the league next year.
Not happening we are buying Real Madrid (the entire club) turning all their players into janitors (cept Bale, he can be a golfer) and going to replace them with our u17's to piss off Javier Tebas, the premier league will have to wait..

GiddyUp

Liverpool. Seen as they're actually capable of challenging us. We tend not to see sides who we have finished above for seven consecutive seasons now as 'rivals'. More like noisy neighbours ;)
Cheeky. Most people I know don't give a shite about city. There is just something missing with the club you support.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Did you see us the two times we met in the league?
You do realise that you now sound exactly like a City fan back when we were shit but sometimes would manage to get a result against United? It's not the rebuttal you thought it was.

TrustInOle

Also, it is possible to defend City against clearly flimsy and politically motivated charges from a corrupt organisation motivated not by fairness but appeasing the status-quo, and simultaneously hold the belief that City's investment deserves scrutiny and criticism + its owners are part of a government that in many ways is morally reprehensible.
How was it 'appeasing the status-quo' when you have in fact cheated footballing laws?

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
To a degree, but five years is ridiculously short. Time-barring doesn't apply everywhere though, eg financial services.
Yeah, but i'd guess this was written by UEFA in their own statutes (we'll know when we'll have the full CAS decision). So it's likely that CAS only reminded them of their own rules. And even if it's not, 5 years is a standard prescriptive period for contract violations in Europe, but it's supposed to start at the END of the infringement. It's this way in France for exemple. We need to remember that it's not a criminal case, it's a mere contractual breach here, the contract being the UEFA regulations that clubs sign in order to enter the competition.

That reads to me like they are making sure Abu Dhabi's investment is going to be done in a way that adheres to FFP rules? I admit it may well be going over my head though. Nevertheless, in that same thread the author goes on to boast about how rigorous UEFA's investigation will have been and the unlikelihood of City overturning it, so I'll take Mr. Harris's interpretation of the email with the caution that it merits.
What he is saying is that they need to show equity funding coming in from a different bank account to the sponsorship money, whilst acknowledging that it all actually comes from the same pot and apologising for causing inconvenience to the owner of that pot. It's very clear what they were trying to do but hacked emails is almost always going to be inadmissible as evidence.

TrustInOle

You do realise that you now sound exactly like a City fan back when we were shit but sometimes would manage to get a result against United? It's not the rebuttal you thought it was.
Well it was considering we done you both times, also worth noting we'd probably be above you were it not for injuries :p

kidbob

Not happening we are buying Real Madrid (the entire club) turning all their players into janitors (cept Bale, he can be a golfer) and going to replace them with our u17's to piss off Javier Tebas, the premier league will have to wait..
You had me strung along until you mentioned the possibility of City promoting youth.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
You should not make these jibes before you hit 20 league titles, or 13 FA cups, or 3 CLs, or - never mind, this is the only time you get.

Just make sure you get at least 1 point against us next season, though. Some legs to stand on, you know.

Fluctuation0161

Only PSG can compete with City for the title of most hollow club in Europe now.

Yes, City got a reduced punishment based on a technicality. Their second fine within 5 years relating to FFP. Anyone denying that City are guilty of financial doping are like cult members at this point.

TrustInOle

You should not make these jibes before you hit 20 league titles, or 13 FA cups, or 3 CLs, or - never mind, this is the only time you get.

Just make sure you get at least 1 point against us next season, though. Some legs to stand on, you know.
They won't! Ole has the frauds number.

RedDevil@84

If City are not guilty, then why UEFA is being given arbitrary money like 10M.
10M for the not cooperating with authorities seems an extreme fine.

ROFLUTION

Ban Sheikh owned clubs but keep all the other wealthy white men owned clubs...You can't see a problem with that proposal?
Hmm why make it a racial issue? Is it based on race at all? Its basically just football matters, nothing else.

Anyways, Im suggesting Sheiks, oligarchs, we all know who the clubs who made insane take-overs are - why not just have a private league with a democratic proces of whether a new club is fairly run or not. Anyways, if you wanna bring race into it (which is not the case), Roman is white too.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
What he is saying is that they need to show equity funding coming in from a different bank account to the sponsorship money, whilst acknowledging that it all actually comes from the same pot and apologising for causing inconvenience to the owner of that pot. It's very clear what they were trying to do but hacked emails is almost always going to be inadmissible as evidence.
No it's not. Almost all legal experts said the emails would be admissible, and the reports now are indeed saying that the emails were deemed admissible by CAS. We'll have to wait for the full report to be released to have all the details but as I already stated, I am certain that City provided the evidence to rebut UEFA's interpretation of the emails.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Yes, City got a reduced punishment based on a technicality. Their second fine within 5 years relating to FFP. Anyone denying that City are guilty of financial doping are like cult members at this point.
It's a bit harsh on PSG who are no different to the italian clubs that people now consider like historic clubs. It's not as if PSG was like Hoffenheim or RB Leipzig.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Hmm why make it a racial issue? Is it based on race at all? Its basically just football matters, nothing else.

Anyways, Im suggesting Sheiks, oligarchs, we all know who the clubs who made insane take-overs are - why not just have a private league with a democratic proces of whether a new club is fairly run or not. Anyways, if you wanna bring race into it (which is not the case), Roman is white too.
Oh, it will be made a racial issue alright, you're being very naive to think otherwise.

NotThatSoph

The fine is a fecking joke. They're either guilty or not. City should either face the original punishment or not face any punishment at all. This watered down punishment looks like someone's after the money.
And according to CAS they're not guilty. The fine was for not cooperating with the investigation, it has nothing to do with the original charges.

Not guilty doesn't mean that they didn't do it, of course. It means that it either couldn't be proven, or that in some cases it was time-barred (statutes of limitations etc) so whether it could be proven or not was irrelevant.

ROFLUTION

Oh, it will be made a racial issue alright, you're being very naive to think otherwise.
It might, but who really cares, as long as the intention is not racist at all, and the majority of fans can see the harm-done by the sugardaddy clubs. If sugar-daddies and fans of their clubs are going to be offended, let them. They've offended every club who have actually worked hard in a just way.

macheda14

You didn’t include oligarchs such as Roman in your initial post hence why it looked racial.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
Wonder what ‘eviden€e’ was shown to prove their inno€en€e

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Yeah, but i'd guess this was written by UEFA in their own statutes (we'll know when we'll have the full CAS decision). So it's likely that CAS only reminded them of their own rules. And even if it's not, 5 years is a standard prescriptive period for contract violations in Europe, but it's supposed to start at the END of the infringement. It's this way in France for exemple. We need to remember that it's not a criminal case, it's a mere contractual breach here, the contract being the UEFA regulations that clubs sign in order to enter the competition.
I can't imagine the Cas documents will be anything other than exasperating tbh. The law is an ass and all that...

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
It might, but who really cares, as long as the intention is not racist at all, and the majority of fans can see the harm-done by the sugardaddy clubs. If sugar-daddies and fans of their clubs are going to be offended, let them. They've offended every club who have actually worked hard in a just way.
People who aren't racist? What a crass and disturbing post.

ROFLUTION

You didn’t include oligarchs such as Roman in your initial post hence why it looked racial.
Sure enough, sorry for that - As a very non-racist person, the thought didn't really cross my mind that it should be though of like that.

Sheik-owned clubs just seemed to be what the main offenders are. Should probably just have written state/oligarch/sheik-owned.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
In this day and age, what is the intention and what the perception is are totally separate.

Anyway, it isn't going to happen so a rather obscure notion to be discussing further.

Ventura

Knew those crooks would buy their way out of it, the entire world knows they are guilty as feck. RIP FFP.

EwanI Ted

After a couple of decades of United fans being called plastic glory hunters by City fans who supported the "real" club of Manchester, watching them now pull all sorts of absurd metal gymnastics to justify financial doping by a murderous regime because they're so desperate for a bit more glory is genuinely amusing.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I would love this so much

ROFLUTION

People who aren't racist? What a crass and disturbing post.
Sure enough, take offence if you like or be pedantic - As described in my recent posts, the intention wasn't racist at all. Just a fact that PSG and City, the main-offenders, are both owned by Sheik's. I've just elaborated in two posts more that I meant Oligarch's too, but of course, as a City fan, feel free to not read/take account of those and instead feel harmed, by something that wasn't meant in a disturbing neither crass way.

Anyways, my suggestion would be to just have a democratic private league, in which clubs vote in favor of whether a club seems legit to be in or not. No race involved, just a cold-hard look whether a club looks state-backed, shady or oligarch-ish.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
The FFP and UEFA regulations are the bad guys here.

FFP = same boring clubs at the top forever. Amazing how stupid the regulations are, fair right :lol:

If you want to actually create a fair playing field. Need to end the pyramid, European club evel salary cap and no more transfer fees, with weaker clubs getting first pick on players.

Like US sports, not easy but much more interesting long term.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Sure enough, take offence if you like or be pedantic - As described in my recent posts, the intention wasn't racist at all. Just a fact that PSG and City, the main-offenders, are both owned by Sheik's. I've just elaborated in two posts more that I meant Oligarch's too, but of course, as a City fan, feel free to not read/take account of those and instead feel harmed, by something that wasn't meant in a disturbing neither crass way.

Anyways, my suggestion would be to just have a democratic private league, in which clubs vote in favor of whether a club seems legit to be in or not. No race involved, just a cold-hard look whether a club looks state-backed, shady or oligarch-ish.
The problem is that your second sentence brings a lot of question and subjectivity, for example what do you do with Barcelona shady dealings, Milan and Inter financing, Juventus financial relationship with Exor, Monaco, Leipzig, the way Chelsea became Chelsea. Many clubs became 'legit' because people have forgotten how they became what they are.

marktan

The FFP and UEFA regulations are the bad guys here.

FFP = same boring clubs at the top forever. Amazing how stupid the regulations are, fair right :lol:

If you want to actually create a fair playing field. Need to end the pyramid, European club evel salary cap and no more transfer fees, with weaker clubs getting first pick on players.

Like US sports, not easy but much more interesting long term.
First pick from where? A draft system would massively impact the clubs that develop players if they receive nothing for doing so. The majority of draft players in America I believe come from the educational system.