Manchester City banned from CL for 2 seasons and fined 30 million euros | CAS - Ban lifted, fined 10 million

TheReligion

Abusive
I really am not so sure that it will be overturned or reduced. They were caught before and this time they have actively hidden where the money was coming from and apparently refused to engage with the investigation. I would love to see CAS advising on appeal that the punishment did not go far enough.
Exactly this

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Sky also saying they could be docked PL points on the back of UEFA ruling. Not that it matters if they're banned from European competition.

Mr Smith

I don’t disagree that city got themselves into the mess so feck em but on the other hand I think UEFA have had it in for the english game since the PL money came about
You might be right, but I think they have a particular axe to grind with City given how contemptuous the club have been about potential retribution for wrongdoing (not to mention the leaked emails celebrating the death of a UEFA official).

I also personally feel that going after City is actually doing the English game a favour. I feel they've been a stain on the league ever since the takeover, no matter how good their football has been.

Roboc7

I really am not so sure that it will be overturned or reduced. They were caught before and this time they have actively hidden where the money was coming from and apparently refused to engage with the investigation. I would love to see CAS advising on appeal that the punishment did not go far enough.
CAS has history or reducing transfer bans despite teams being guilty, probably doping bans as well. What they won’t want is for this matter to go beyond CAS and that will be incentive to reduce. City could decide to challenge legality of FFP itself.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Why will it definitely get reduced? Based on what?
Most high profile appeal cases? Chelsea got their recent transfer ban halved on appeal just this summer, and even if you can’t get it reduced right away, you can usually at least push the start back by tying up the case in litigatory nonsense...

Don’t get me wrong, I think they’ll get some kind of punishment. It’s too high profile a case for UEFA to be seen to capitulate entirely... but City can probably hold it up for a while in complicated corporate legalese, which is why I think they’ve given them 2 years as opposed to 1...since it allows them some leeway should they need to walk it back.

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea appraled and were still banned through the appeal. Just saying
My understanding of the process is that City have to firstly appeal to UEFA( Ironic I know). CAS do not have jurisdiction to deal with a case till the governing body itself deals with an appeal against one of its rulings. Its even possible that at this stage the punishment could be deemed as not harsh enough.

Chelsea went through theUEFA then CAS process but decided when their case went to CAS not to ask to have the punishment suspended. The likelihood was that had they asked for a suspension of the two window ban it would have been granted.

I find it highly unlikely that the appeal to UEFA then to CAS will be dealt with by August or whatever date is the latest that clubs are put forward as CL contenders.

For me it’s likely that City will lose the appeal to UEFA but then will appeal to CAS and ask for a “stay” in effect delaying any ban past season 2020/2021.

That said it seems that the PL are now looking into the matter and as witnessed when Luton suffered a 30 point deduction for two financial misdemeanours then it’s possible that City could suffer a deduction of points that would see them finish outside the top 4 anyway.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Weird. I don't feel pleased or upset by this, I just feel nothing. I've wanted us to drop out of the Champions League for years, now it's finally happened and I'm pretty nonplussed.

The truth is that I've slowly been losing interest in City since 2016. I've missed more home games than I've attended in the last year, I can't remember the last time going to a match didn't feel like a chore, and honestly I'm not really comfortable with the way we're being run and what our success really means for football.

I was hoping they'd form that European Super League so I'd have a good enough reason to give it all up, but my total non-reaction to what should be seismic news might have just sealed it. I've grown so numb towards City, and supporting us has become so easy, that it's sort of lost meaning. We've had our success now - more than I ever dreamed of - so this feels like the right time to just step aside and focus on other interests.

I've had big changes in my personal life over the last two years and I reckon dropping football to pay closer attention to those changes is what's needed. City can carry on doing what they do, I just don't feel that much anymore. I should be gutted or angry about, or even happy and excited because we finally don't have to play in the Champions League. Instead I feel nothing.

Discussing football is an argument waiting to happen, following City is giving me too much cognitive dissonance, demanding more and more success after the decade we've just had smacks of greed. The gap between the haves and have-nots is growing so unbelievably large in football now that I don't see a sustainable future for the game - this FFP ruling, and everything that'll subsequently happen, is all part of it.

It's like with your lot. Your only hope of not being run by the Glazers comes in the form of a Saudi prince whose list of humans rights abuses is somehow worse than our owners'. The whole thing's a corporate nightmare and I can't wait to be done with it. I've sold so many tickets for home games this season that City won't let me renew my seasoncard by default, so I'll see off David Silva in his final game and bow out.

Denis' cuff

NBC was just discussing about how this would be a huge hit to their brand if it sticks
so It would put sponsors off sponsoring them?

don’t think so. The sponsors are their very owners who are under investigation. Of course, they’d have to roll it back a bit but
apart from mud sticking, and affecting the football side of it, in the long term, they’ll still be comfortable, at least.
or maybe not. :)

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Weird. I don't feel pleased or upset by this, I just feel nothing. I've wanted us to drop out of the Champions League for years, now it's finally happened and I'm pretty nonplussed.

The truth is that I've slowly been losing interest in City since 2016. I've missed more home games than I've attended in the last year, I can't remember the last time going to a match didn't feel like a chore, and honestly I'm not really comfortable with the way we're being run and what our success really means for football.

I was hoping they'd form that European Super League so I'd have a good enough reason to give it all up, but my total non-reaction to what should be seismic news might have just sealed it. I've grown so numb towards City, and supporting us has become so easy, that it's sort of lost meaning. We've had our success now - more than I ever dreamed of - so this feels like the right time to just step aside and focus on other interests.

I've had big changes in my personal life over the last two years and I reckon dropping football to pay closer attention to those changes is what's needed. City can carry on doing what they do, I just don't feel that much anymore. I should be gutted or angry about, or even happy and excited because we finally don't have to play in the Champions League. Instead I feel nothing.

Discussing football is an argument waiting to happen, following City is giving me too much cognitive dissonance, demanding more and more success after the decade we've just had smacks of greed. The gap between the haves and have-nots is growing so unbelievably large in football now that I don't see a sustainable future for the game - this FFP ruling, and everything that'll subsequently happen, is all part of it.

It's like with your lot. Your only hope of not being run by the Glazers comes in the form of a Saudi prince whose list of humans rights abuses is somehow worse than our owners'. The whole thing's a corporate nightmare and I can't wait to be done with it. I've sold so many tickets for home games this season that City won't let me renew my seasoncard by default, so I'll see off David Silva in his final game and bow out.
Fair play mate, ultimately you don't get to choose the owner!

Ventura

5 years and relegation from the PL would be more fitting for blatant cheating on a grand scale for many years. Even that sounds mild.

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
CAS has history or reducing transfer bans despite teams being guilty, probably doping bans as well. What they won’t want is for this matter to go beyond CAS and that will be incentive to reduce. City could decide to challenge legality of FFP itself.
When a club both in domestic football and European football enters a competition they agree to accept the competition rules and included in that is the agreement not to take such matters to law.

InfiniteBoredom

Also on what legal ground can City realistically challenge this ban?

From what I understand they can challenge the legality of FFP itself, and has a good chance of winning, but then that’s only the money fines removed, UEFA is still well within their rights to withdraw CL invitation as its a private competition.

If City pisses them off enough, they may just increase the ban to 5 years in exchange for the money.

Wan

PSG next please. Is Platini still involved with UEFA. His son was working for PSG or involved with them in some capacity right?

Cliche Guevara

It does.

UEFA rule: "A club which is not admitted to the competition is replaced by the next best-placed club in the top domestic championship of the same association"
Congratulations Chelsea*

*Don’t even fecking think about it...

They won't
taking it to the court of arbitration will delay any decision past the start of next season. Look at the fudges that other clubs with money have been able to get.

I would then bet that they get some sort of suspended sentence. Even if they get banned, which I think is unlikely, it won’t start from next season.

Cliche Guevara

Just need UEFA to ban Spurs, Sheff Utd, and Wolves and then we might just have an outside chance of Champions League next season. Why any United fans would think this is great news when United are still shit and will continue to be shit as long as we have this current coaching setup.
feck off you prick.

TheReligion

Abusive
Just need UEFA to ban Spurs, Sheff Utd, and Wolves and then we might just have an outside chance of Champions League next season. Why any United fans would think this is great news when United are still shit and will continue to be shit as long as we have this current coaching setup.
Feck off you dope

stu_1992

Well this is an interesting development. Must say I'd enjoy to see them banned because feck them. However I have little faith in the CAS to not overturn it. As sad as it sounds it could be a huge help for us if we "only" have to finish 5th to qualify for the Champions League this though. I'm struggling to see where we'll find the consistency to finish 4th but maybe 5th doable.

TheReligion

Abusive
taking it to the court of arbitration will delay any decision past the start of next season. Look at the fudges that other clubs with money have been able to get.

I would then bet that they get some sort of suspended sentence. Even if they get banned, which I think is unlikely, it won’t start from next season.
I'm not convinced it's as easy as that tbh. People just assume this is a non starter but I think this is more serious. Don't think CAS are going to be a magic saviour in all of this.

RUCK4444

Great post. Hope you sort out whatever it is you need to in your personal life. Definitely better to exert your effort on the more important things.

I totally get the feeling you describe of feeling indifferent to the club I support.

Since our decline the desperation to get back to the top has been painful to watch in many United fans.
The petty back and forth and impatience has been harder to bare than the losses on the pitch imo.

Fans turning on club legends who only want the best for us, arguing about every player, sell Pogba, keep Pogba, Martial is shite... or he isn’t, my own longing for a Saudi takeover, anything to compete again.
THEN throw VAR into the mix.

Safe to say I’m more uninterested than ever before.

bonothom

Quality control
Just imagine some United fans celebrating coming in 5th as a big achievement, Ole punching the air at the Stretford End lapping up the applause. How far has this club fallen.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
PSG next please. Is Platini still involved with UEFA. His son was working for PSG or involved with them in some capacity right?
The CAS already ruled on our case and denied the UEFA's request to re-investigate since we cooperated, accepted the sanctions, didn't hide information from the investigation chamber nor created shell companies to inject funds (unlike City). Nice try but we're actually safe.

mu4c_20le

so It would put sponsors off sponsoring them?

don’t think so. The sponsors are their very owners who are under investigation. Of course, they’d have to roll it back a bit but
apart from mud sticking, and affecting the football side of it, in the long term, they’ll still be comfortable, at least.
or maybe not. :)
Global appeal. Why else do you think they are building projects and schools in the city. They want to be a big dog in the footballing world, and to be seen as a legitimate superpower. This is going to set them back bigly.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's important to remember that technically they are repeat offenders, they have already been found guilty of breaching FFP rules in 2014, so people shouldn't be that pessimistic.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Fair play to you for being so honest Robin. I‘ll quote this in the Saudi thread at some point if you don’t mind. It’s my fears of United under Saudi ownership, just a real emptiness.

lsd

The Oracle
Just imagine some United fans celebrating coming in 5th as a big achievement, Ole punching the air at the Stretford End lapping up the applause. How far has this club fallen.

The way this season is going it would be

wrepdrep

Supports
AC Milan
City owner is from UAE not Qatar. And it is illegal to lie about the origin of your funding, what is not illegal is to be funded by your owner.
I was about to edit it to Emirati shortly afterwards, but decided not to because the point was still clear and it's not very relevant. It could be PSG tomorrow.

They aren't accused of lying about the origin of the funding. They are accused of funding the club through sponsor deals. This isn't illegal, although it's clearly cheating UEFA's rules.
But UEFA's rules and punishment won't hold on CAS level. Football, to them, is like any other industry. You can't suspend a company for utilizing their spending power.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
13/14 was a fair win too. They can keep them both.
Na feck em. Strip all four of those seasons and award the two each to both of us, undo all their glory years from the past decade in the process. You'd still be one title ahead after this season anyway.

Roboc7

When a club both in domestic football and European football enters a competition they agree to accept the competition rules and included in that is the agreement not to take such matters to law.
Yes and City also agreed to abide by rules of FFP and look how that went. UEFA would be delighted to see ban reduced to one year by CAS, City take it on the chin and everyone move on.

I don’t think City will be prepared to do that and will explore every possibility.