Manchester City banned from CL for 2 seasons and fined 30 million euros | CAS - Ban lifted, fined 10 million

TrustInOle

It's a mutual agreement between clubs, their national associations, their confederations(ex: UEFA) and FIFA. That's why federations/confederations generally don't like to go to court and have arbitrations.
So basically, if I'm understanding you right, Uefa implement the FFP (insert every other rule) and basically just ask nicely that club's follow suite?

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
It always seemed like UEFA had a bit of an agenda against City in fairness. There was a lot of noise coming from the likes of Barca and Bayern around the time that the investigation was being conducted by UEFA, it did seem like there was a bit of 'appeasing the old boys' kind of thing.

Still, doesn't shed a good light on either City or UEFA. UEFA botched the original investigation in 2015 so not that surprising that no further action has been taken. For City, and the likes of PSG, Chelsea etc. it does seem like open season has been declared. UEFA should use this as a motivator to do FFP correctly. At the moment, the only clubs suffering are the ones that actually are in need of the UEFA money for their own sustainability.

Best not to focus on this too much. Win our games and we get third, and we are in Europe on our own merits. Win Eurpoa League and we get a better seeding for the draw. Let's focus on our own house. This obsession with City is a bit like the small minded noise that was coming out of City years ago, 'noisy neighbours' etc and all that. Morally and ethically, all the noise that comes out of that club is just wrong, and somewhere down the line the right thing will be done.
Ours is not an obsession with City about this - it's that the whole affair stinks to high heaven!!!

The Purley King

They couldn't prove it because City were going out of their way to block the UEFA investigation
Well UEFA need to think a bit more creatively.
I work in fraud detection and many times I know exactly what fraud has happened, but am having a hard time actually proving it. What I don't do, is think "feck it I'll action this anyway" and then it all gets reversed when I'm asked for some evidence (which I don't have).

City are reprehensible for sure, but UEFA are the mugs here. They've been played like a fiddle.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
Obiously, UEFA does not done their jobs well enough, and was too late, since their own rules says they the limitation period is 5 years. Had it not been for the leaks, they would not have done anything. They should have resources and tools to see stuff like this without whistleblowers and leakage of documents.

Still, City is guilty as charged. This will forever stick with them, plastic corrupt club that they are. We will beat them next year anyways.

VivaJesperBlomqvist

As much as i detest Liverpool, at least they are a proper club with history and are winning things properly.

My hate for City has now moved ahead of the dippers. This is a disgraceful decision.

Today is a sad day for the sport, corruption is tarnishing the most beloved sport in the world.
Could not agree more. Felt like this since City’s takeover. I respect Liverpool. Teams like City and Chelsea will never have my respect.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
So basically, if I'm understanding you right, Uefa implement the FFP (insert every other rule) and basically just ask nicely that club's follow suite?
That's pretty much it.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
What's the best platform to make a petition for all fans of historic clubs to sign and show their owners that they have the backing of us fans to create a non-sheik private League as substitution for CL?
historic clubs ffs so football is only about clubs who have won things in that last 5-10-50 years, do clubs like Sheffield Wednesday, Sunderland, West Ham, Charlton etc etc not have proud histories, if it wasn't for the greed of the "historic" clubs then people like Abromovic, Mansour, bin Mussad, Srivaddhanaprabha etc etc wouldn't even have got involved in the PL

Fluctuation0161

Don't get me wrong I love United to do well and it is important for my good feel factor. However, we don't make the rules or have control over the matters. If rich owners can find sophisticated ways of spending money on their clubs its something we can't do much about.
That is why today's ruling is so wrong. If football just becomes a game of "richest owner wins" then the game is ruined.

RoyH1

FFP dead forever. The soft power arms race between Abu Dhabi, Qatar and Saudi will go into overdrive after this. Nothing to stop them. As long as you have great lawyers and creative accountants that can spin a good story, the sky’s the limit. Maybe other states join into the party too at one point?

Look for Newcastle to soon get a record sponsorship from the Saudi Tourism authority or something like that.

Fluctuation0161

It always seemed like UEFA had a bit of an agenda against City in fairness. There was a lot of noise coming from the likes of Barca and Bayern around the time that the investigation was being conducted by UEFA, it did seem like there was a bit of 'appeasing the old boys' kind of thing.

Still, doesn't shed a good light on either City or UEFA. UEFA botched the original investigation in 2015 so not that surprising that no further action has been taken. For City, and the likes of PSG, Chelsea etc. it does seem like open season has been declared. UEFA should use this as a motivator to do FFP correctly. At the moment, the only clubs suffering are the ones that actually are in need of the UEFA money for their own sustainability.

Best not to focus on this too much. Win our games and we get third, and we are in Europe on our own merits. Win Eurpoa League and we get a better seeding for the draw. Let's focus on our own house. This obsession with City is a bit like the small minded noise that was coming out of City years ago, 'noisy neighbours' etc and all that. Morally and ethically, all the noise that comes out of that club is just wrong, and somewhere down the line the right thing will be done.
City and PSG are the 2 most obvious culprits in the World. When you take into account the various fines paid, It should come as no surprise that people concerned about the breaking of FFP in football are talking about these 2 clubs.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
" the CAS Panel found that a significant fine should be imposed on MCFC and considered it appropriate to reduce UEFA’s initial fine by 2/3"

So they felt it necessary that a "significant" fine should be imposed, but we should definitely reduce the fine so its less significant because - reasons.

This whole thing stinks of something, starting with UEFA, through City and ending at CAS

Sjaakmeoff

Short version:

UEFA: you cheated with FPP, we think. Give us acces to your books.
MC: Ehm, no?
UEFA: ok, then you're banned from the CL and will be fined 30M.
MC: Ehm, CAS. Help?
CAS: Hi UEFA. You didn't get a look at the books, so there's nothing to prove. So, they can join the CL. Oh and MC, shame on you for not giving acces to your book. Give10M
MC: ok.

ariveded

City deserved it. It makes no sense to make it now a crime, what many other clubs in the past used to do.

Bulldog United

Based on the summary that is being reported, UEFA have made an absolute mess of this. No wonder City were so confident about the appeal.

I don't think this is the end of FFP. La Liga giants and others will continue to keep the pressure on UEFA, and the rules will be tightened up further. FFP is not going away.

UEFA also has the right to appeal regarding some aspects of this ruling. Those aspects are unlikely to lead to a restoration of the ban for City, but a win on appeal could help with FFP in future.

I believe some of the time-constraints are actually part of UEFA's own rules, which they themselves then chose to ignore in handing down the ban. :lol: I guess UEFA can extend those limitations in future to give themselves more flexibility in time in investigations?

The most important thing to remember:
UEFA gets to pick the referees who officiate Man City's European matches. :)

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
UEFA are incompetent feckwits.
Its blatantly obvious what City did, its just that UEFA couldn't prove it. So UEFA went ahead with the ban anyway.
I wouldn't be so quick to call CAS corrupt. Its way way more likely that UEFAs case was piss weak, they even detailed offences that were time barred by their own rules ffs.
This should spell the end of UEFA, but it won't.
The fact that it was time-barred shows how incompetent UEFA are and why City were 100% confident that the ban would be lifted. It's massively damning on UEFA as there is no grey area. You are either in it, or outside it. To ban Manchester City based on things that they knew were outside the statue of limitations is quite ridiculous and the charges would not actually hold up in any actual courts.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Appreciate your input!

Maybe having a sports law enforcement could be something they think about in the future. Bit of a joke really. :houllier:
It's not their decision, only governments could do that the UEFA is a private organization, as is FIFA. And it's unlikely that any government ever will, the EU supported it but I don't see any agreement happen anytime soon, it would have too much collateral damages regarding freedom of entrepreneurship.

Last edited:

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Im confused. If the decision was made because of time-barring (ie City were guilty but the information was brought forward too late) but City themselves have been found guilty of not cooperating (ie kicking the can down the road) then surely that should impact the decision to throw the case out purely on a time technicality??

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
I've been toying with cancelling my season ticket over the past few months as COVID helped to re-prioritise what's important to me, and seeing the push by government to ensure football continued above all else was a slap in the face to everybody else.

With this too... I think my decision is made. Won't be contributing to this industry at the top level anymore.

ROFLUTION

historic clubs ffs so football is only about clubs who have won things in that last 5-10-50 years, do clubs like Sheffield Wednesday, Sunderland, West Ham, Charlton etc etc not have proud histories, if it wasn't for the greed of the "historic" clubs then people like Abromovic, Mansour, bin Mussad, Srivaddhanaprabha etc etc wouldn't even have got involved in the PL
Historic clubs / clubs who earned their respect. You know what I mean.

Edit: ah, your title says city fan. Then of course you dont know neither history or earning the respect of others by actually not frauding football.

Siorac

People should realize that even CAS never said City didn't do anything wrong, they just said UEFA didn't catch them fast enough. After 5 years you can't prosecute the crime.

That is just ridiculous. Essentially any team can break FFP regulations, hide it for 5 years and then put up a billboard saying 'Eff off you sh*ts we cheated' and UEFA can't prosecute them.
This is a thing in civil and criminal law as well though. Statute of limitations/prescriptive periods. For most crimes, you generally cannot be charged and prosecuted after a certain time period in most legal systems.

reddevilchennai

City and PSG are the 2 most obvious culprits in the World. When you take into account the various fines paid, It should come as no surprise that people concerned about the breaking of FFP in football are talking about these 2 clubs.
Milan was punished by CAS with one year ban from Europa league but not City and PSG, as money and power talks in the latter case.

ArjenIsM3

Well UEFA need to think a bit more creatively.
I work in fraud detection and many times I know exactly what fraud has happened, but am having a hard time actually proving it. What I don't do, is think "feck it I'll action this anyway" and then it all gets reversed when I'm asked for some evidence (which I don't have).

City are reprehensible for sure, but UEFA are the mugs here. They've been played like a fiddle.
Other posters claim they actually ended up getting evidence through an illegal hack so if anything they were a bit too creative in the end though I haven't read the verdict so i don't know if it's true.

Bulldog United

Im confused. If the decision was made because of time-barring (ie City were guilty but the information was brought forward too late) but City themselves have been found guilty of not cooperating (ie kicking the can down the road) then surely that should impact to throw the case out purely on a time technicality??
I guess UEFA didn't consider that in drafting the current rules; that there's no clause in the rules allowing for UEFA to waive the time-barring rules.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
" the CAS Panel found that a significant fine should be imposed on MCFC and considered it appropriate to reduce UEFA’s initial fine by 2/3"

So they felt it necessary that a "significant" fine should be imposed, but we should definitely reduce the fine so its less significant because - reasons.

This whole thing stinks of something, starting with UEFA, through City and ending at CAS
As I posted before the verdict, City likely did not cooperate precisely because they knew UEFA were pursuing a flawed case that would not stand up in an independent court. The fine is purely on that basis - refusing to cooperate.

mu4c_20le

False flag operation orchestrated by dark forces designed to generate sympathy for City and line a bunch of pockets at the same time. They're all in on it and we're just watching a show. It's 2020 nothing surprises me anymore

RedNed77

On the plus side at least the Glazers know they can now pump limitless amounts of their own cash into United without fear of FFP... this was what they were waiting for wasn’t it?

Bulldog United

Other posters claim they actually ended up getting evidence through an illegal hack so if anything they were a bit too creative in the end though I haven't read the verdict so i don't know if it's true.
That would also be problematic in most courts. Trying to prosecute using evidence that was illegally obtained. Far better if the rules allow for the harshest possible penalties for refusing to co-operate in UEFA investigations, than trying to nail a club using evidence from dodgy sources.

Bulldog United

On the plus side at least the Glazers know they can now pump limitless amounts of their own cash into United without fear of FFP... this was what they were waiting for wasn’t it?
I like an optimistic take on this mess, even though it's dripping in sarcasm. :lol:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
As I posted before the verdict, City likely did not cooperate precisely because they knew UEFA were pursuing a flawed case that would not stand up in an independent court. The fine is purely on that basis - refusing to cooperate.
I get that, but don't you think its odd to talk of "significant fines" ... only to talk of reducing that fine in the same sentence?

Not cooperating fully with your governing body should be cause for a heavy fine, not a reduction of one.

Barnslig

T
Reading between the lines, it looks like Uefa were desperate to pin something on City, so they launched their investigation, City refused to cooperate and Uefa ended up with a bunch of charges which wouldn't stand up in an actual court of law.

Tbh it's always going to be hard to get City bang to rights on the sponsorship thing. It's clearly not legit - just look at the amount Etihad is paying City every year FFS - but, on the surface at least, these Emirati sponsors aren't directly linked to City's owners. There won't be a smoking gun email from Sheikh Mansour saying 'please sponsor us XXX million per year'.

In reality, of course, City's owners don't have to influence companies like Etihad. The companies will sign these sponsorship deals as a favour to the Sheikh, without him having to get involved at all.

This is the real problem where City are concerned. They can enjoy a massive unfair advantage over the rest of the competition without even having to leave a paper-trail.
There is literally an e-mail exchange saying pretty much exactly that. I can't remember off the top of my head, but something along the lines of "You the company pays City 14m, 2m is your own money and 12m is coming from Sheikh"

The Purley King

It obviously wasn't UEFA who hacked City. But when that information is in the public domain, then its fair game for anyone to use. Notable that City never claimed the emails weren't legitimate.
UEFA have bodged this badly, the equivalent of a Ronny Rosenthal miss in their world cup final..............