Manchester City banned from CL for 2 seasons and fined 30 million euros | CAS - Ban lifted, fined 10 million

Infra-red

When is this ban supposed to start ? Next season ?
Yes. 2020/21 would be the first season of their punishment. Fifth place in the Premier League would therefore become a CL qualifying place (assuming City finish in the top 4).

RedDevilRoshi

Good. About time I’d say. Plastic club.

Not read the whole thread but does this now mean that whoever finishes 5th will get CL?

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I enjoyed this paragraph:

"While no one sees an expulsion from the Premier League as likely, the Football League have recently changed their rules so that any club in that situation must start again in League Two."

Please, oh please let that happen.
Back to their rightful home.

Deery

Dreary
So fifth place gets the spot league just got a whole lot more interesting

DavidDeSchmikes

Manchester City statement

Manchester City is disappointed but not surprised by today’s announcement by the UEFA Adjudicatory Chamber. The Club has always anticipated the ultimate need to seek out an independent body and process to impartially consider the comprehensive body of irrefutable evidence in support of its position.
In December 2018, the UEFA Chief Investigator publicly previewed the outcome and sanction he intended to be delivered to Manchester City, before any investigation had even begun. The subsequent flawed and consistently leaked UEFA process he oversaw has meant that there was little doubt in the result that he would deliver. The Club has formally complained to the UEFA Disciplinary body, a complaint which was validated by a CAS ruling.
Simply put, this is a case initiated by UEFA, prosecuted by UEFA and judged by UEFA. With this prejudicial process now over, the Club will pursue an impartial judgment as quickly as possible and will therefore, in the first instance, commence proceedings with the Court of Arbitration for Sport at the earliest opportunity.

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
I'm sure this is one that both United and Liverpool fans can fully get behind!

Is it too early to start calling them Banchester City?

Devil81

Let's hope UEFA make a statement here and stand by a decision once and for all.

2 years isn't enough in my eyes, the money invested in City and PSG have inflated transfer fee's.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Yes. 2020/21 would be the first season of their punishment. Fifth place in the Premier League would therefore become a CL qualifying place (assuming City finish in the top 4).
This is great news but I am afraid they will get with an appeal and pay an even bigger fine as replacement

Steve the Red

Can it go into effect next season?

Slap them with a nice big 100 points deduction
Do it this season. Then they will match their record of 1937-38 as the only defending League champions to be relegated the next season.

Or they could try a Rangers. Disestablish the club, claim the new club has nothing to do with financial fixing, but still claim the history of trophies won.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
By some website for the love of god

Their initial investment/injection of funds was completely outside the means of a club with the poor football history of PSG ( in European terms). UEFA should not let this stand. States have no business owning clubs.
Well, it's not as if it's Cosmos coming out with the article, it's based on pretty standard metrics.

Their disproportionate funds have nothing to do with history, but with the league they're in. Ligue 1 is nowhere close to the financial powerhouse that is the Premier League or, to a lesser degree, La Liga. It's also not limited to states to be able to change a club's situation almost overnight, such as what happened with Chelsea and Abramovich. The fact is PSG's made smart moves following their takeover by the new ownership and are now self-sustainable in a way City isn't, despite not benefiting from being in a league that rakes in small fortunes for even mid-table clubs from their TV rights alone.

Gorse Hill Red

If they lose their appeal would this mean that their dodgy sponsorship deals will come under increased scrutiny and thus will have to drop the Abu Dhabi sponsors?
This would mean a huge drop in revenue and thus selling players to break even.

padr81

Supports
Man City
This is great news but I am afraid they will get with an appeal and pay an even bigger fine as replacement
Thats not happening, we are either getting nothing or exactly what was handed out. That's been clear since December 18. Our cosy little, sneaky relationship with Uefa was finished as soon as Der Spiegel broke those articles. It's now City vs Uefa and there can't be a middle ground. Basically Uefa either broke rules in this punishment which sees us get off free or Uefa are correct and we will get the full punishment.

I genuinely think Uefa went with two years in the hope we'd cut a deal and accept 1 but that's impossible because its an admission of guilt and tarnishes everything the club have achieved. It's either get off on a technicality and say "we were innocent all along" or admit we're cheats.

cyberman

If they dont get relegated from the PL because of this, and its in the rules, what sort of financial malpractice eould be needed to do so?

lsd

The Oracle
I take it the ruling is they sponsored themselves illegally so they could buy players they would not have been able to sign under the FFP rules at the time ?

If thats the case then surely they haven't a leg to stand on

padr81

Supports
Man City
If they dont get relegated from the PL because of this, and its in the rules, what sort of financial malpractice eould be needed to do so?
The PL rules are different to the Uefa rules, for that to happen the PL would have to open their own investigation and prove we lied to them too. Not impossible but I feel the PL will wait until the CAS decision before making a move.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
If this sticks - and they also get punished in the Prem, which players will be leaving in the summer? Would de Bruyne be happy spending the peak years of his career at a team not in a European competition? Sterling? etc.

This could be a house of cards..