Manchester City banned from CL for 2 seasons and fined 30 million euros | CAS - Ban lifted, fined 10 million

fergosaurus

A PL points deduction this season would be pointless considering they are excluded from next season's CL.

A nice 15 point deduction from the beginning of next season would go down nicely.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
No FFP is important, you have to build up your legacy with the sporting side, everything else is BS for me. FFP should be re-enforced and kept, it's vital in my opinion. What is this? You just come with some money with no control whatsoever?

Just like LBO should be banned for football, this should not be the Far West.
FOH (not you literally, just the concept in general)

It is virtually impossible to climb the ladder when you have a cartel of clubs deemed "legitimate" due to "history", who can pick off talent and sustain their dominance.

Nickosaur

Heh. Rather it happened to the scousers but I'll take any victory right now.

Gasolin

If they lied to tax authorities then that would be illegal.

I don't think there is anything illegal about not disclosing income source to a private entity.

Must stress that I am not a lawyer and we are all in unchartered waters.
Someone would need to dig into what exactly is reproached to City to even begin to see where that would go.
The only case where I could potentially see something (and I am in no way a legal person) would be that, maybe in order to pass FFP, City "lied" in term of origins of the funds by stopping at one company level. Say that company, through KYC and AML compliance, is linked now through someone in the Middle East (as a matter, I once worked for rules such as BCBS 231 Large Exposures framework or the US version, SCCL (Single Counterparty Credit Limits) and if they did not declare it for that purpose, to pass FFP, it might be an issue.

Now it's an issue for the FFP, but it can't really be a big deal for City unless the "owner" in the UAE or the Middle East who maybe owns City himself is on a ban list, which is certainly not the case.

It would be good if someone could summarize the real topic here though.

Simon Jones

They ought to be stripped of their last few league titles, making us and Mourinho premier League winners in 2018.
It won't happen. But why shouldn't it happen. Armstrong was retrospectively stripped of all his tour de france wins

Gasolin

FOH (not you literally, just the concept in general)

It is virtually impossible to climb the ladder when you have a cartel of clubs deemed "legitimate" due to "history", who can pick off talent and sustain their dominance.
:lol: What do you complain? You are already on the top of the ladder yourself. Arsenal is no small club.

adexkola

Supports
Someone would need to dig into what exactly is reproached to City to even begin to see where that would go.
The only case where I could potentially see something (and I am in no way a legal person) would be that, maybe in order to pass FFP, City "lied" in term of origins of the funds by stopping at one company level. Say that company, through KYC and AML compliance, is linked now through someone in the Middle East (as a matter, I once worked for rules such as BCBS 231 Large Exposures framework or the US version, SCCL (Single Counterparty Credit Limits) and if they did not declare it for that purpose, to pass FFP, it might be an issue.

Now it's an issue for the FFP, but it can't really be a big deal for City unless the "owner" in the UAE or the Middle East who maybe owns City himself is on a ban list, which is certainly not the case.

It would be good if someone could summarize the real topic here though.
Yep agree with this

A lot also depends on CAS' jurisdiction. What are they able to throw out? If the case is narrowly scoped to City's deception then they are fecked. If it is widened to focused on FFP's validity then it gets interesting

TheReligion

Abusive
Man City fans have got to be the most insecure i have ever witnessed. They are more concerned with what other people say or think about them, than the actual issue at hand. Bluemoon forum is proper cringey.

They'll get a 1 year ban upon CAS appeal. Pep is in his last year - 18 months IMO. Cooking the books is essentially what they've done... shady as feck. "overstated their sponsorship income to meet FFP and meet rules regarding break even" ie. the owners put money in and made it look as if it came from a sponsor? No chance they walk away with entire ban overturned.
Jesus ha ha from a Chelsea fan! Sugar daddy Roman.

Unfortunately as although it allows City to be significantly weakened, it will further strengthen Liverpool's chances of potential domination making it more likely they'll surpass our title record with a few seasons.

No doubt their fans and allies in the media are cheering this the most. We could benefit too if 5th was awarded a CL place but I suspect we'd somehow even screw that up.
Utter nonsense. Obviously you're a very negative individual if your first thoughts here are Liverpool. It will obviously benefit others as there will be an extra CL place and it will cause serious issues to city (manager, players etc) long term.

They spent a lot of money. Just like every other top club in Europe's best league's. I'm not so sure how that is cheating.
It's where the money came from that's the issue. Play by the rules. It's not hard

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Genuinely heartbreaking stuff.

adexkola

Supports
:lol: What do you complain? You are already on the top of the ladder yourself. Arsenal is no small club.
I will neither confirm nor deny my club allegiance

I'm a football fan first and foremost, and long before City's financial doping I've had an issue with the vast inequality in football which is only protested when it's an uppity new club challenging the blue bloods

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
feck that rat bastard Sam Lee. fecking turn coat.

tippex

Yep agree with this

A lot also depends on CAS' jurisdiction. What are they able to throw out? If the case is narrowly scoped to City's deception then they are fecked. If it is widened to focused on FFP's validity then it gets interesting
CAS has already previously ruled on this as City appealed that the investigation should not be allowed go ahead CAS ruled that it should. City also have priors to this and was fined in 2014 for breaking FFP rules. It will be hard as hell to get it overturned and will make a mockery of the rules if it does.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
When did they cook the books - or rather which seasons were they found guilty? Maybe Jose won a title here :lol:
I started a thread that year, called 'Manchester Cheaty', which was shut down by the moderators in here. I got called bitter, etc. I was basically saying they disregarded the rules, that effectively United won that title.

adexkola

Supports
CAS has already previously ruled on this as City appealed that the investigation should not be allowed go ahead CAS ruled that it should. City also have priors to this and was fined in 2014 for breaking FFP rules. It will be hard as hell to get it overturned and will make a mockery of the rules if it does.
As to the first point, allowing an investigation to go on is not the same as challenging the ruling or the rules underlying the ruling.

They were fined but there is the question of whether the punishment is merited (cc AC Milan)

Tincanalley

Not a chance its overturned. IF you know the background. They are in deep shit. I have even wondered about their recent run of bad results... Real or manipulated? I know they have no centre backs, etc., but...

adexkola

Supports
Not a chance its overturned. IF you know the background. They are in deep shit. I have even wondered about their recent run of bad results... Real or manipulated? I know they have no centre backs, etc., but...
Not a chance?

All the people who've covered this indepth have acknowledged there is a significant chance that this gets appealed successfully.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
So is there anything illegal or not? Does UEFA even have a chance to win any trial for this case?
They do have a chance. What the UEFA accused them of is fraud, by hiding money injections from the owner behind inflated "legit" sponsorship deals, they allegedly tried to decept the UEFA in order to gain something, in our case access to UEFA competitions. That's reprehensible by law.

If I remember correctly that's what PSG wanted to avoid, years ago it was said that QSI decided that it was better to do things in front of the UEFA and let them reevaluate deals, that way they couldn't be accused of fraud.

tippex

As to the first point, allowing an investigation to go on is not the same as challenging the ruling or the rules underlying the ruling.

They were fined but there is the question of whether the punishment is merited (cc AC Milan)
I agree they are different things.
Re: Milan I don't think their transgressions were on the same scale. afaik Milan worked with both UEFA and CAS. City has actively hindered the investigation according to reports and not engaged at all.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The City player and staff dilemma:

Your club is cooking the books to pay you vast amounts of money. By way of that, they're now in shitloads of trouble, have been banned from the CL, and possibly have a load of PL grief pending.

What, as a player, or member of that staff, do you do?

Can you imagine the amount of calls going back and forth between agent-player-lawyer right now?

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
A random look at Blue Moon right now

I think the entire Team should drop their shorts during the Eufa anthem then walk off.
Is it racism? Probably. Is it the old “big” teams trying to keep the former status quo? Probably.
What’s Brian Horton doing these days?
Liverpool get 6 years for mass murder
City get 2 years for spending their own money
. :eek:

Time for a rival independent competition me thinks and destroy their champions league!
Bye bye Pep

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Liverpool are going to cruise to 21.

Gasolin

I am more interested to see if City will accept the decision when the CAS rules in favor of the UEFA.
Or will they involve the legal system? That would be complicated because then it would be a UK club trying to challenge an European competition, etc...

If they go to that length, I think something is wrong but again, it would be great if someone could explain what is it that they did wrong.

Skills

Snitch
The City player and staff dilemma:

Your club is cooking the books to pay you vast amounts of money. By way of that, they're now in shitloads of trouble, have been banned from the CL, and possibly have a load of PL grief pending.

What, as a player, or member of that staff, do you do?

Can you imagine the amount of calls going back and forth between agent-player-lawyer right now?
I don't see any the dilemna for the players. They have guaranteed contracts that the club must honour.

They might start getting itchy about the off-shore accounts though, in case someone ever comes after them.

Jericholyte2

Regarding the CAS possibly overruling the decision...

City tried to get the investigation stopped by CAS and their appeal was rejected. CAS must have seen something of value to this. Whilst I can’t imagine they’ll keep it as is, I’d imagine they’ll have a lot of the fine removed but maybe still a year banned.

If it all gets wiped then FFP is officially dead.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
At what point do EUFA decide that stripping City of any domestic titles won in the last decade is the fairest course of action?

Except for last season's title win. They can keep that one as a token gesture of goodwill.

mu4c_20le

NBC was just discussing about how this would be a huge hit to their brand if it sticks

Tincanalley

Financial doping, and trying to effect the investigation... Ohhh