Manchester City banned from CL for 2 seasons and fined 30 million euros | CAS - Ban lifted, fined 10 million

Classical Mechanic

They are not self sustainable, as far as we know at the moment PSG simply used a different strategy regarding the FFP panel. They openly finance the club through sponsorship and admit it to the UEFA who then reeavaluate deals as they want in the FFP statements. The difference is that one allegedly tried to deceive the UEFA while the other didn't.
Isn't the key difference that City got hacked? Who knows what skulduggery PSG have been up to behind the scenes.

gica_7

They’ll appeal this and get it removed. No way this is going to stick.
I understand the consensus has been that way but this one seems different. I don't remember anyone being banned from UEFA competitions simply because they faked their income as blatantly as this. This case seems different from the ones in the past. Milan, Galatasaray were banned for 2 years for example but they were in huge debt and spent way out of their income. In City's case, they faked their income and then as a result spent way out of their means.

I don't expect this to be overruled. If anything, I think FA should be pushed to investigate this further more.

finneh

Does it matter? All our sponsors are legit, you'll just have to suck it up and stop crying.
Yes, you did and fair play to you guys.
FFP is here now and in case you haven't noticed we are complying with it. Any other thing you say is purely conjecture on your part.
We are complying with FFP and that is a fact. We wouldn't have failed the season we did, if the goalposts hadn't been moved last minute.

Indeed the deal was remarkable for football but again it was weighed by those in power and deemed fine. It also was great foresight on the part of Etihad, good business, hence why it was renegotiated and found to be fine even when it was doubled.
Tell me again when the Etihad deal was deemed unfair or broke any rules (not in your imagination) but in reality.
'member when City fans thought they were complying with FFP? Yeah I 'member.

Special mention to @Ronetta at the time too.

Last edited:

devlinadl

Didnt the Chinese buy like 15% of the company? They ought to sue.
Last November, Silver Lake, a US private equity group, bought 10% of City Group for £389m. If Silver Lake trusted the financial statements issued by City and relied on them when making their investment decision, this all starts to look like fraud, which is absolutely a criminal offence.

If this is the case, I suspect that somebody will pay off Silver Lake to make sure that they don't commence any action, in order to stave off criminal proceedings.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Isn't the key difference that City got hacked? Who knows what skulduggery PSG have been up to behind the scenes.
You could make that statement for literally anyone. If we stay in the reasonable, we know that the UEFA was given enough information by PSG to identify who was what and reevaluate deals, this is something that City seemingly never allowed, they simply tried to deceive the UEFA, that's the key difference that we know about. Also I seem to remember that PSG and Monaco were both hacked and are in the football leaks.

The smart move by PSG is that they put the UEFA in a tough situation, the UEFA can't really pretend that they have been deceived.

Last edited:

Devil81

Transfer wise, this huge as well. They basically have to be legit in everything they do now. No more cheating the rules.

How do they cover a big transfer spend, they will hopefully decay from this point in as a lot of genuine sponsors won't want to associate with proven cheats.

We could be seeing the beginning of the end of the Shiek. He thought he was clever taking on United in their own City but he's had to cheat to get them where they are now. I'd strip them if all their trophies, they've breached rules to gain an advantage, to me that's as bad as it can get in football.

OldSchoolManc

I don’t know how City players can justify being employed and paid, by a murderous, misogynistic, homophobic regime.
That money is coming directly from people that carry out unimaginable human rights crimes.
Where’s their conscience at?

Alabaster Codify7

This is brilliant, I'm shocked UEFA have actually taken a stand here and done something about the cheating, filthy cnuts!

Amazing! I reckon Pep is now 100% going in the summer, my bet would be Tuchel replacing him - straight swap, Pep going to PSG to resume winning things without pesky competition to hurt his fragile ego. Will be intriguing now to see City's transfer fees going forward, I bet they're noticeably higher than they have been in the past....

Very good news this!

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
Twitter is awash with Liverpool fans ripping into City for this ban. Selective short memories in Liverpool...

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
I'm shocked. Question is though, will the same thing happen with PSG?

Other clubs that risk getting punished?

Really hopes this sets a precedent and is just not a one off
You can be sure, it‘s a precedent for big English clubs only.
This ban is a result of lobbying by Spanish and Italian and German clubs.

Cpt Negative

Think this is just UEFa saving face. CAS will over turn at least half the ban and half the fine.

ariveded

Hopefully it the start towards balancing of astronomical fees of transfers & players. Big daddy clubs like City have caused the market to explode and, as a common man, it's been really hard to connect with the money floating around in football.

Bondi77

This should be a good test of what a player values most;
Do they now ask their agent t o shop them around as we constantly hear the line that the top players will only go to a club where they will play Chmps League or do they sit contentLy at their club with no hope of that but be on a monster wage.
My money is on the latter.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Liverpool are going to cruise to 21.
If they do they do. At the very least it will have been done fairly. They haven't broken the rules. Hate them with every ounce of my being but if they are best team they deserve it. They are currently. And city are horrible cheating twats.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
You can be sure, it‘s a precedent for big English clubs only.
This ban is a result of lobbying by Spanish and Italian and German clubs.
And English clubs.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Think this is just UEFa saving face. CAS will over turn at least half the ban and half the fine.
That will send out a dangerous message and precedent.
What will other clubs make of a decision to overturn obvious flouting of financial rules?

Don’t think CAS will let them off myself

Fitchett

I'm amazed but delighted that UEFA have had the balls to take on the financial might of City and their threats. FFP was brought in to punish clubs for the financial equivalent of amphetamine doping on a Lance Armstrong scale.

It's just a pity that FFP rules don't allow the sanctioning of owners, who drain money from a club, and ban them from owning clubs, for the financial equivalent of doping by applying horse tranquilizers.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Even if the 5th place team gets CL, we'll still finish 6th knowing our luck.

Reality is they will probably appeal and significantly change the outcome.

Judas

Open to offers
If they appeal it and are in any way successful, the system looks an even bigger joke and it'll be impossible to take any scare tactics from the higher ups seriously ever again.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Was just reading an article on the possible point deduction facing City, and this last paragraph got me:

While no one sees an expulsion from the Premier League as likely, the Football League have recently changed their rules so that any club in that situation must start again in League Two.
Not gonna happen, but still. Scenes if it did :lol:

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I don’t know how City players can justify being employed and paid, by a murderous, misogynistic, homophobic regime.
That money is coming directly from people that carry out unimaginable human rights crimes.
It’s irrelevant to them as long as they get success.
A gay colleague and City fan felt very compromised by the whole takeover. It was a case of love the team and Pep but hate the club.

Sometimes your ideals just fly out the window when money rears its head

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Last November, Silver Lake, a US private equity group, bought 10% of City Group for £389m. If Silver Lake trusted the financial statements issued by City and relied on them when making their investment decision, this all starts to look like fraud, which is absolutely a criminal offence.

If this is the case, I suspect that somebody will pay off Silver Lake to make sure that they don't commence any action, in order to stave off criminal proceedings.
I think the correct term is ''compensate'. :)

momo83

Massive Snowflake
City committed accounting fraud. Do you not understand how corrupt that is? Precisely the reason corporations like Enron and others went under. City deserves every punishment that comes their way.
Sounds very serious. A criminal offence such as Section 17 of the Theft Act 1968 should be investigated, judged , and penalised by the relevant body. Once City were found guilty by a proper court then UEFA could have imposed its own punishment.

sglowrider

The last leader of supposedly good standings died on a cross. Everyone else has degrees of scumness.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
They are not self sustainable, as far as we know at the moment PSG simply used a different strategy regarding the FFP panel. They openly finance the club through sponsorship and admit it to the UEFA who then reeavaluate deals as they want in the FFP statements. The difference is that one allegedly tried to deceive the UEFA while the other didn't.
Actually, it is now self sustainable. That's why I'm pretty glad FFP was in place, it forced our directors to find other sources of income and JC Blanc did a tremendous job to do so. Accor (ALL) replaced QTA as our main sponsor, we developped a huge co-brand deal with nike/jordan and we now have minor contracts with Qatar companies, well within FFP rules, that could easily be replaced if our shareholder decides to leave.

Had Qatar left in 2015, we'd have been in great danger, and thanks to FFP we're not anymore. So thanks UEFA.

Bocca9978

If they do they do. At the very least it will have been done fairly. They haven't broken the rules. Hate them with every ounce of my being but if they are best team they deserve it. They are currently. And city are horrible cheating twats.
It’s just as annoying that Liverpool will win leagues with no one challenging. Very easy to win a one horse race.

TheLiverBird

My money is on the final verdict being: 15M fine, no ban.
And several high up representatives of UEFA with some unbelievable new lining in their pockets

I can’t see the Ban standing

footballs dodgy as hell with the wonga these days, payoffs occurring left right and centre

What’s several million in bribery pay outs when it keeps you in the CL and all it brings

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Actually, it is now self sustainable. That's why I'm pretty glad FFP was in place, it forced our directors to find other sources of income and JC Blanc did a tremendous job to do so. Accor (ALL) replaced QTA as our main sponsor, we developped a huge co-brand deal with nike/jordan and we now have minor contracts with Qatar companies, well within FFP rules, that could easily be replaced if our shareholder decides to leave.

Had Qatar left in 2015, we'd have been in great danger, and thanks to FFP we're not anymore. So thanks UEFA.
Accor replaced Fly Emirates and there is more links between Accor and Qatar then there was between Fly Emirates and Qatar. You probably know who is the PDG of Accord(Bazin) and who is the administrator(Sarkozy), now have a look at who is one of the major shareholders(QIA).

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Where’s the City fans that we’re desperately trying to convince people they weren’t doing this shit despite all the evidence?
Drowning in the Nile (denial)
It’s just as annoying that Liverpool will win leagues with no one challenging. Very easy to win a one horse race.
It will be annoying but it will be deserved as much as we don't like it. It's now up to us to sort ourselves out and go and knock them off again. We've done it once we can do it again

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Serious question, let's say part or all of the ban and fine remains intact. If UEFA is certain that financial rules have been broken then why is there no such investigation or punishment from the Premier League? Hypothetically they have not selectively just cheated European competitions. If the ban sticks but nothing from the Premier League then surely that brings into question the integrity of the Premier League? Or is it more about saving face for the 'Best League in the world' with the 'Best Manager and Players'

macheda14

Yeah I understand. But UEFA only started making noises about money when Roman took over Chelsea and they only implemented FFP as a direct result of City getting bought by Mansour. It’s genuinely an anti English thing. Then Italian clubs spending Mafia money in the 80s and 90s was never a problem, Real and Barca using council loans since the 90s was never a problem... first time I heard money being a problem in football was when United signed Ferdinand for £30m. I remember realising then UEFA had an anti English agenda.

Just have to go back to Haysel... very tragic and those responsible deserved prison. But how does something which 1) there is still to this date doubt about who provoked it. Resort in all English clubs getting a ban. If it was proven that it was entirely Liverpool fans fault, which there are conflicting accounts, then ban only Liverpool, if not ban both clubs. When English fans gets attacked and killed by foreign fans do those clubs get any punishment. I know nothing has ever happened on that level. But one life is still
one life to many but to UEFA action never seems to be taken.

Uefa are very corrupt and driven by whoever lobbies them the most. Hence why racism isn’t taken seriously. Because if they took it seriously Spain would have to come under fire.
I mean until now Malaga were the club which had the strongest sanctions put against them.

Also I mean 1) reports that state Juve fans caused the disaster have mainly been refuted as unsubstantiated and 2) there was a fence between the supporters that Liverpool fans broke through. Whatever might have caused the initial rush resulted in Liverpool fans charging Juve fans. It was entirely their fault. Even our government called for all English clubs to be pulled from European competition, our football hooliganism was at such a peak point and many fans from many clubs were causing havoc across Europe, more so than any European fans at the time. Banning all English clubs was a legitimate response.

Judas

Open to offers
Serious question, let's say part or all of the ban and fine remains intact. If UEFA is certain that financial rules have been broken then why is there no such investigation or punishment from the Premier League? Hypothetically they have not selectively just cheated European competitions. If the ban sticks but nothing from the Premier League then surely that brings into question the integrity of the Premier League? Or is it more about saving face for the 'Best League in the world' with the 'Best Manager and Players'
They're currently under investigation from the PL and a punishment is coming.

sglowrider

Accor replaced Fly Emirates and there is more links between Accor and Qatar then there was between Fly Emirates and Qatar. You probably know who is the PDG of Accord(Bazin) and who is the administrator(Sarkozy), now have a look at who is one of the major shareholders(QIA).
Such coincidences. :rolleyes: