Manchester City risk of getting CL banned

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Strip City of all their trophies since their sugar daddy arrived, ban them from the CL for 5 years, fine them £200m and make them start next season with a minus 30 points deduction.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Might not be the smartest move questioning the integrity of the former PM of Belgium. Seems a hot headed response.
Because politicians are notoriously incorruptible.

Anyway, if City are challenging it at least that should mean we will get to hear the evidence on both sides and make a proper judgement on the case, rather than a narrative in the media where we are only hearing one side of the story.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I wasn't referring to all clubs. I was alluding to the point that EUFA may be more inclined to punish City because of the dominance of English clubs over their darling Spanish duo this year.
Stop with tinfoil hat stuff. And what is EUFA?

Paul_Scholes18

Because politicians are notoriously incorruptible.

Anyway, if City are challenging it at least that should mean we will get to hear the evidence on both sides and make a proper judgement on the case, rather than a narrative in the media where we are only hearing one side of the story.
It is pretty obvious City have not followed a lot of the rules. I think how is the big question and if these methods can be seen as legal ones with the right lawyers

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Strip City of all their trophies since their sugar daddy arrived, ban them from the CL for 5 years, fine them £200m and make them start next season with a minus 30 points deduction.
I admire your logic that because City have allegedly broken UEFA's rules we should be stripped of titles won in competitions that are not subject to UEFA's rules, but rational thought has never been one of your strong points.

minoo-utd

They would be still finish above us though.

Paul_Scholes18

I admire your logic that because City have allegedly broken UEFA's rules we should be stripped of titles won in competitions that are not subject to UEFA's rules, but rational thought has never been one of your strong points.
I think you did follow the rules slightly better this season so you can keep that one. Last season though the corruption was too high so you should give us that title.

I think that would be a fair and logical deals for all parts ;).

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Stop with tinfoil hat stuff. And what is EUFA?
UEFA. Though I would have thought that quite obvious. Apologies.

I'm surprised someone of your considerable intellect can't quite grasp the point I'm making. Perhaps if you read my last couple of posts the penny might drop.

roonster09

Scout
:lol: While we are at it, you should also terminate all the contracts that were signed after the take over.

Why? because who cares about logic.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
It is pretty obvious City have not followed a lot of the rules. I think how is the big question and if these methods can be seen as legal ones with the right lawyers
Yep but it's hard to make a fair judgement on what we've actually done when we only have leaked documents and emails that are obviously intended to portray the club in as negative a light as possible. Some of them likely speak for themselves, others probably become far more innocuous when provided with the proper context.

roonster09

Scout
UEFA. Though I would have thought that quite obvious. Apologies.

I'm surprised someone of your considerable intellect can't quite grasp the point I'm making. Perhaps if you read my last couple of posts the penny might drop.
I know you meant UEFA, I was asking what was E in EUFA.

I read and it doesn't make any sense. It's same with every league fans, they all think they are hard done by UEFA.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Has it been revealed exactly what City are being investigated for? As in the exact numbers that were used and which specific deals it all relates to.

matt23

Be interesting to see what the Premier League investigation concludes. Imagine they'd have a hard job of trying to sweep it under the carpet if UEFA are this determined to lay down some sort of actual punishment.

About time really.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
I know you meant UEFA, I was asking what was E in EUFA.

I read and it doesn't make any sense. It's same with every league fans, they all think they are hard done by UEFA.
Your last sentence makes sense of my point.

Can we leave it there?

roonster09

Scout
Your last sentence makes sense of my point.

Can we leave it there?
So who exactly are they favoring? Is that La Liga or EPL?

They have nothing to gain by supporting La Liga over others. If anything they favor all big 4 leagues, that's the reason for all the rule changes, to make sure all the big leagues are well fed.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Be interesting to see what the Premier League investigation concludes. Imagine they'd have a hard job of trying to sweep it under the carpet if UEFA are this determined to lay down some sort of actual punishment.

About time really.
UEFA and the PL have different rules. The PL's are far more lenient and relaxed in regards to losses allowed. There's no claim, as far as I'm aware, that we have contravened any domestic rules.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
And ban them from professional ice-hockey too.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Has it been revealed exactly what City are being investigated for? As in the exact numbers that were used and which specific deals it all relates to.
From what I've read I think it is the sponsorship deals we have with Etihad, Aabar and Etisalat. It looks to be honest like it's going to be rather dry and boring legal questions that determine the outcome of this case, and whether they legally do fall under the definition of a Related Party Transaction. If UEFA can prove that they do, then I'm guessing UEFA would then subject them to fair market value, and reassess our figures accordingly. Then, if it transpires we would have failed FFP with these adjusted figures, we would/should be punished as we would have been originally in addition to a further punishment for the attempt to conceal our contravention of the rules. I reckon a compromise will be reached as it seems like it could be quite a protracted legal dispute which benefits neither side, unless one side is very convinced of the legal footing on which any action would reside.

matt23

UEFA and the PL have different rules. The PL's are far more lenient and relaxed in regards to losses allowed. There's no claim, as far as I'm aware, that we have contravened any domestic rules.
Fair enough, I thought when I read that the Prem had decided to join UEFA in investigating that they were looking into financial matters as well as some of the stuff around young player transfers.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
So who exactly are they favoring? Is that La Liga or EPL?

They have nothing to gain by supporting La Liga over others. If anything they favor all big 4 leagues, that's the reason for all the rule changes, to make sure all the big leagues are well fed.
I was asking the question would they take this opportunity. I'm not saying they will or do. I question the levels of corruption at most Footballing authorities. How did Azerbaijan get the final of the EL for example? The airport at Baku can't manage more than 15,000 foreign fans and both Chelsea and Arsenal have only been allocated 7,000 tickets each. The stadium holds 68,000.

roonster09

Scout
I was asking the question would they take this opportunity. I'm not saying they will or do. I question the levels of corruption at most Footballing authorities. How did Azerbaijan get the final of the EL for example? The airport at Baku can't manage more than 15,000 foreign fans and both Chelsea and Arsenal have only been allocated 7,000 tickets each. The stadium holds 68,000.
Why would they? It's not like shitting on English clubs is their sole agenda. Like I said, top 4 leagues are well protected and UEFA don't love or hate English clubs. It's just one more silly things that English club fans and part of media likes to believe.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Fair enough, I thought when I read that the Prem had decided to join UEFA in investigating that they were looking into financial matters as well as some of the stuff around young player transfers.
they are, but it's a separate investigation

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
You have to give city some credit, the plan was clearly to just blatantly cheat in the most brazen way possible (which they have done, which everyone has pointed out since the day dot) and just keep brazenly cheating as surely if they are doing it *that* brazenly they cant be cheating at all?

Of course some nothing club is worth one of the largest sponsorship deals in the league, OF course this cheque signed by Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan is a completely *different* Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan who is investing in this training complex because he was so amused by the coincidence of him sharing the same name as the clubs chairman.

See these Bic Biros in reception? all special additions that cost £1000 each. They might *look* exactly like normal Bics, but trust us, all 140,000 of them we bought last week from coincidentally enough crazy Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyans stationary outlet (no relation) are all unique.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Why would they? It's not like shitting on English clubs is their sole agenda. Like I said, top 4 leagues are well protected and UEFA don't love or hate English clubs. It's just one more silly things that English club fans and part of media likes to believe.
If you say so.

RE1999

Whilst it is pretty clear City are being made an example of here, UEFA surely need to either drop the idea of FFP or enforce it. There is no point in having a system which some clubs adhere to (whether by design or luck), e.g. Arsenal and others just blatantly ignore (PSG and City).

That said, it is difficult to see UEFA actually banning City from the competition - particularly if it happens in 20/21 and they have further success in 19/20 in various competitions. From a publicity point of view, its probably better to have the English champions in the competition and sweep the rest under the carpet. The same goes for the premier league - who's financial rules are mainly there to stop clubs going bankrupt, not to stop rich owners buying PR.

To complicate matters even more, one of UEFA's main partners is the Abu Dhabi government so its all very intertwined.

If I was a betting man, I'd say a big cheque to the right people (whether over or under the table) makes this go away.

Decomposing In Paris

I would normally dismiss this out of hand because of their financial might... but the more time goes on, I'm starting to think something might actually happen here. If this was Barcelona, nothing would happen... but this is Manchester City. Now, I don't mean to play into City's propaganda (ha ha) but indulge me for a moment...

There are 2 European finals with 4 English participants this season... that will not sit well at UEFA.
City might be about to win a domestic treble in the most competitive League in Europe, ahead of all 4 finalists.
FIFA have themselves been through a massive corruption scandal... not that long ago really.
Manchester City supporters boo the Champions League anthem.
City's probably going to get even stronger.

As much as I hate to say it, Manchester City is a juggernaut... and if something isn't done soon they might well become Europe's dominant force.

I'm starting to think it's possible UEFA will throw the book at them.

Paul_Scholes18

Yep but it's hard to make a fair judgement on what we've actually done when we only have leaked documents and emails that are obviously intended to portray the club in as negative a light as possible. Some of them likely speak for themselves, others probably become far more innocuous when provided with the proper context.
Yeah it is hard for us to really know what is fully going on. It is not something new really.

tomaldinho1

It won't stand up in court. The emails were hacked.
I think it depends on how they categorise the 'crime' - it seems like an organised financial crime from the outside (I don't have a legal background) in which case I think they can't use the emails specifically in the prosecution but can use them as a source of intel. Basically, if they then find what we all think they will, the fact they found it through hacked emails is fine.

I am likely at least part wrong on this but would be interested if anyone here is a lawyer with knowledge of how these things are viewed in relation to financial crime.

St Red

KRAP
I'd literally piss myself if they got hit with a punishment so severe that it prompted the Arabs to bail out.
They can then go back to battling it out with Bolton in a few years.

Hughie77

There investigating the allegations , let's see if there are any underhanded deals going on ? We all know they have we all know it's a cop out to sponsor your own club with bottom less pockets.

If they get a uefa ban, surely the premier league needs to look at them as well, if rules broken with uefa must have been same in premier league ? I don't think anything will happen because money talks , and they've thrown it about for 9 to 10 years .