Manchester City under Pep Guardiola | Pep on City v Liverpool ref: "He likes to be special"

Dreadnought

Demichelis' contract is up, he's been released.
Pep doesn't play tiki-taka.
Tiki-taka or not, his teams have over 65% possession most games and it seems that's exactly what he wants. So, in order for a team to have 65% of useful and meaningful possession (unlike Van Gaal's 65%), he has to have the right personnel technically, physically and stamina-wise, especially in the PL. Also, that personnel will need to fulfill another Guardiola's trademark - pressing. That will be way more difficult to apply successfully and on a regular basis than in the German and Spanish leagues, given the tempo and the volume of games in England. If the pressing fails, and this is my opinion, Guardiola's defence tends to be shambles sometimes despite his defensive record. If his teams don't win the ball in the opposition's half, they are extremely vulnerable.
Oh, and, be ready for him to blame every Tom, Dick and Harry for his shortcomings. That's his trademark as much as assigning Messi with a fake 9 role.

Last edited:

sammyvine

Pep and Mourinho don't even hate each other
It's all for the cameras

Dreadnought

City will make the SF of CL this year.
Here it is, now we have heard it from the horse's mouth! So, after failing to make the next step with Bayern, Pep will fail to take City to the next level as well? Right on.

sammyvine

Here it is, now we have heard it from the horse's mouth! So, after failing to make the next step with Bayern, Pep will fail to take City to the next level as well? Right on.
It changes every year
Just because he didn't make it last year doesn't mean he can't take city to the next level
Champions league is luck based as well

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
It's hardly the 'next level' if Pellegrini achieved it this year in an otherwise shambles of a season.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Tiki-taka or not, his teams have over 65% possession most games and it seems that's exactly what he wants. So, in order for a team to have 65% of useful and meaningful possession (unlike Van Gaal's 65%), he has to have the right personnel technically, physically and stamina-wise, especially in the PL. Also, that personnel will need to fulfill another Guardiola's trademark - pressing. That will be way more difficult to apply successfully and on a regular basis than in the German and Spanish leagues, given the tempo and the volume of games in England. If the pressing fails, and this is my opinion,
I fully agree with all of this. He will, however, use a different form of pressing to most opponents. One based more on using space wisely split up the banks of defenders and eliminate the 'give and go's' that tore us apart when we lost possession. The golden bullet that opponents used against us last season of crowding the middle and challenging City to beat you on the flanks with small and/or slow forwards running on will not work this time.

Guardiola's defence tends to be shambles sometimes despite his defensive record. If his teams don't win the ball in the opposition's half, they are extremely vulnerable.
With a big possession advantage and opposing defenders fearful of getting caught out of possession I expect to see a lot of raids from 1 or 2 forwards and playing for corners as the main weapon in many games. Every team has a period of pressure at some stage and if they can score from these situations then good luck to them.
Oh, and, be ready for him to blame every Tom, Dick and Harry for his shortcomings. That's his trademark as much as assigning Messi with a fake 9 role
After 3 years of the Charming Man Pellegrini taking all our defeats philosophically and not talking about opponents and referees it will be a refreshing change to have a man who makes pre and post match conferences compelling again..

RedCurry

Demichelis' contract is up, he's been released.
Pep doesn't play tiki-taka.
I didn't actually know Demichelis was released. Cool.

Saying Pep doesn't play tiki-taka is just going into technicalities. Whatever you brand it, Pep is a possession, structure, pressing first manager. A lot like Van Gaal but probably more talented. Man City will most likely have the highest possession and short passing stat in the coming season.

What we experienced as United fans was that when you play that kind of possession football, a lot of good players around the world become unsuitable to the team. For example, Pep sold Yaya in his prime and used a more disciplined Busquets. City players in general may not be bad but a lot of them will be unsuitable and some outright useless to Pep's system.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city

Saying Pep doesn't play tiki-taka is just going into technicalities. So if by not defending your initial assessment I assume that you admit that it was incorrect. Cool also.
Whatever you brand it, Pep is a possession, structure, pressing first manager. A lot like Van Gaal but probably more talented.
His superiority over LVG extends to more than just systems used.
Man City will most likely have the highest possession and short passing stat in the coming season.

What we experienced as United fans was that when you play that kind of possession football, a lot of good players around the world become unsuitable to the team. For example, Pep sold Yaya in his prime and used a more disciplined Busquets.
Many thought Pep crazy to let go of Yaya back then after having had a good stint at Barca and having done a good job at emergency CB in CL Final. Busquets has done admirably when given the start. There is a story that Pep was pressurised to install Busquets as he had just married the Club President's daughter. Not sure if that was true or not.
City players in general may not be bad but a lot of them will be unsuitable and some outright useless to Pep's system.
Correct. There will be some getting intense coaching to change their games and some will be sold or isolated .

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD

Saying Pep doesn't play tiki-taka is just going into technicalities. Whatever you brand it, Pep is a possession, structure, pressing first manager. A lot like Van Gaal but probably more talented. Man City will most likely have the highest possession and short passing stat in the coming season.

What we experienced as United fans was that when you play that kind of possession football, a lot of good players around the world become unsuitable to the team. For example, Pep sold Yaya in his prime and used a more disciplined Busquets. City players in general may not be bad but a lot of them will be unsuitable and some outright useless to Pep's system.
Haven't City been topping short-passing and possession stats for years now anyway? (Excepting Arsenal and van Gaal's United.)

RedCurry

Saying Pep doesn't play tiki-taka is just going into technicalities. So if by not defending your initial assessment I assume that you admit that it was incorrect. Cool also.
Whatever you brand it, Pep is a possession, structure, pressing first manager. A lot like Van Gaal but probably more talented.
His superiority over LVG extends to more than just systems used.
Man City will most likely have the highest possession and short passing stat in the coming season.

What we experienced as United fans was that when you play that kind of possession football, a lot of good players around the world become unsuitable to the team. For example, Pep sold Yaya in his prime and used a more disciplined Busquets.
Many thought Pep crazy to let go of Yaya back then after having had a good stint at Barca and having done a good job at emergency CB in CL Final. Busquets has done admirably when given the start. There is a story that Pep was pressurised to install Busquets as he had just married the Club President's daughter. Not sure if that was true or not.
City players in general may not be bad but a lot of them will be unsuitable and some outright useless to Pep's system.
Correct. There will be some getting intense coaching to change their games and some will be sold or isolated .
I thought I made my point clear about how I think tiki-taka is just a branding. The underlying principles of football Pep plays is exactly the same. I just didn't think I had to be an ass about it. Just like how I won't be an ass about your poor formatting of the post.

Busquets played over Yaya simply because he's better possession player which is what Pep's system demands. The best player in the world probably in his position.

Haven't City been topping short-passing and possession stats for years now anyway? (Excepting Arsenal and van Gaal's United.)
2015/16 season they were second on the table of ball possession behind Arsenal. But if you look at it in more detail, there were 5 teams from 56% - 58% possession stat which reflects that these teams were perhaps more dominant but there isn't much between the teams. What I expect next season is that Man City will be an outlier, comfortably the highest possession stat in the league. That is Pep's bread and butter.

But like what we have seen possession means nothing if you don't have players you can transition quickly and utilize their possession superiority.

Reactions: Mciahel Goodman

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Oh, and, be ready for him to blame every Tom, Dick and Harry for his shortcomings. That's his trademark as much as assigning Messi with a fake 9 role.
That's not true at all. He never blames anyone but himself in interviews/press conferences. In fact, he once publicly told Sammer and Rummenigge to stop criticising the referee and blaming the defeat on anyone else. The same was true during his time at Barca. I remember the players blaming defeats on the referee or whatever, but never Pep.

NYC

Thing is City made the semifinal through luck and playing so defensively...

Pep would and will not do that ever...

The recent rumors of getting Kroos makes me wonder who exactly is going to press/play defensively for Pep in their current setup.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Oh, and, be ready for him to blame every Tom, Dick and Harry for his shortcomings.
That's what our manager is famous for I am afraid, not Pep.
While Xavi and others blame the pitch, ref, defensive style of opposition, Pep rarely does it, if at all.
Even when he got knocked out after Inter 's ultra defensive play, he still said everyone has the right to choose what style they play.

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
I'm very interested to see how the City players adapt to his methods. For all the hate van Gaal received. Guardiola is more like van Gaal than he is like Lord Cruijff. The premiership have never had a coach like him for sure, especially using positional play. LVG tried but his version is a lot more horizontal and there was no positional switching. Guardiolas is all about controlling the space and having a free man. English football is exciting to neutrals because of the disorder and chaotic nature, there is very little tactical work and managers seem to be mostly motivational speakers, not coachers. The only time I thought Manchester United looked well coached was when Carlos Queiroz was the Assistant Manager and he took the training sessions, you could see the difference in the football United played from 06-08 and 08/09. Even with similar personnel the football dropped several levels.

As for the term tiki taka, it means absolutely nothing. Maybe spain play Tiki Taka because they do a lot of pointless passing that has no tactical purpose, but Pep uses specific moves and automatisms to open up the pitch and gain the advantage woithj the free man.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Pep is a lot more aggressive in his style of play then Van Gaal. It should suit the league better then the 0assive football United played.

ti vu

Thing is City made the semifinal through luck and playing so defensively...

Pep would and will not do that ever...

The recent rumors of getting Kroos makes me wonder who exactly is going to press/play defensively for Pep in their current setup.
How unlucky did Pep's Barcelona went through final in 2009 after that kind of second leg? 1 shot on target = goal in final minute! Referee destroyed Chelsea!

The Brazillian thuggish duo can offer that.

Anyways, people often misunderstand the nature of PL. It's more durability issue than endurance in term of physicality. PL favor underdog mentality than superior. So with that in mind, Pep football can be superior and neutralize PL nature in short term, but in long term it will take some kind of effect. Fans would start get bored and the whole started supporting the underdog. Pep would only have City to hold onto, and look at the quality and arguably quantity of their fans! In Spain, they admired Pep's Barcelona (even Real Madrid before Mourinho tenure). Pep Barcelona and Bayern can output intense workrate to counter PL side physicality, but they have the benefit of having way less games they need this kind of approach. While PL for most part requires this intensity week in week out. Then the mind game from some trash talking managers (Big Sam, Pardew...) backed by the media. The PL season is more periodically mentally and physically stressful and exhausting. PL like giant killing, and can appreciate anti football final score more than the overall nice football.

Last edited:

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
I thought I made my point clear about how I think tiki-taka is just a branding. The underlying principles of football Pep plays is exactly the same. I just didn't think I had to be an ass about it. Just like how I won't be an ass about your poor formatting of the post.
In the post to which I replied your only reference to tiki-taka was in your vision of some City players attempting to play it. No mention of branding. Maybe you mentioned it in another post elsewhere but you certainly made nothing clear?

That the underlying principles between Pep's chosen style are the same as tiki-taka is just common sense. I'm sure that every coach would hope to retain possession and deprive the opposition of it thereby reaping the advantages a possession advantage provides. Obviously not all coaches have the resources to successfully implement this wish hence some teams like Leicester City under Rainieri found another way.
Your implied criticism of my formatting is laughable. I'm sure that any readers we have can understand my points perfectly well. If you want to discuss football on here, may I suggest caring less on style and more on substance?

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
Some laughable comments in here, mainly from the same posters and one in particular. Pep blames everyone and everything else. :lol: Hatred and biased comments at it's finest.

New GK
Zabaleta New CB Otamendi New LB
Gundogan New DM
KDB Silva Nolito
Aguero

3-4 more signings and that 11 is looking very impressive. Otamendi will improve next season, had a good Copa America and some decent games last year.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
Some laughable comments in here, mainly from the same posters and one in particular. Pep blames everyone and everything else. :lol: Hatred and biased comments at it's finest.

New GK
Gundogan New DM
KDB Silva Nolito
Aguero

3-4 more signings and that 11 is looking very impressive. Otamendi will improve next season, had a good Copa America and some decent games last year.
Agree with most of your good post.
Disagree with Zab at RB though. As great a servant as he has been he knows his time at City has now passed and will be on the move soon I think. He's a warrior and won't want to sit on the bench racking up the pay cheques.
Will be surprised if Hart is replaced this quickly. More likely course is to work with his distribution which is his main flaw in a Pep team. If he cannot adapt then I think that he will be replaced next summer.

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
Agree with most of your good post.
Disagree with Zab at RB though. As great a servant as he has been he knows his time at City has now passed and will be on the move soon I think. He's a warrior and won't want to sit on the bench racking up the pay cheques.
Will be surprised if Hart is replaced this quickly. More likely course is to work with his distribution which is his main flaw in a Pep team. If he cannot adapt then I think that he will be replaced next summer.
Thanks.

Yeah I agree that he will be moved on, although he's the exact type of player that would thrive in Pep's formation and style. Far better than Sagna IMO, it's hard to change a whole team in one transfer window, that's why I believe it makes sense to keep him for one more season. Surprised Man City didn't attempt to get the likes or Srna, Feghouli, Caceres or Nagatomo on short term deals on free transfers. Would have been good additions and better than what is at the club already on a whole.

Srna for Sagna
Nagatomo for Kolarov
Caceres for Demichellis
Feghouli for Yaya Toure.

In regards to Hart, I've just never rated him, whilst his distribution is shocking. Pep should go for Valdes on a free transfer.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
Thanks.

Yeah I agree I think he will be moved on, but I think he's the exact type of player that would thrive in Pep's formation and style. Far better than Sagna, it's hard to change a whole team, that's why I believe it makes sense to keep him for one more season. Surprised Man City didn't attempt to get the likes or Srna, Feghouli, Caceres or Nagatomo on short term deals on free transfers. Would have been good additions and better than what is at the club already.

In regards to Hart, I've just never rated him, whilst his distribution is shocking. Pep should go for Valdes on a free transfer.
I've heard that Pep fancies Fernandinho for the RB role. Interesting if true. Also a kid called Pablo Maffeo has a shot at it too, much will be decided in pre-season training.
To be fair to Hart a lot of his distribution problems for City stem from team mates not making themselves available. Pep will demand a steep improvement in that respect.

Dreadnought

''So just - don't use too many emoticons even if the other post is ludicrous''. I was warned regarding the exchanges with one particular poster, so I will refrain from endless LOLs at the notion that Valdes is a generally or significantly better keeper than Hart, particularly after a long lay-off. Also, Feghouli is predominantly a right winger, and quite occasionally a left winger or an attacking midfielder. Has anyone ever seen Toure play a winger? Oh and yes, Pep must be salivating, masturbating even, at the prospect of bringing in a 34-year old full-back who's spent the majority of his career in Ukraine.

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
I've heard that Pep fancies Fernandinho for the RB role. Interesting if true. Also a kid called Pablo Maffeo has a shot at it too, much will be decided in pre-season training.
To be fair to Hart a lot of his distribution problems for City stem from team mates not making themselves available. Pep will demand a steep improvement in that respect.
Fernandinho at RB would be a shocking call.

In regards to the post above....

Srna is a quality full-back, anybody with any knowledge of football knows this. What has his age got to do with anything? He's performing at the highest level(Euro's).. maybe you should watch players rather than base their abilities on age or what league they play in. I'd take Valdes over Hart every day of the week.

So wait a minute, you just said Feghouli has played as an attacking midfielder, a role that Toure has played at City. Nice one for backing that one up..

Last edited:

Dreadnought

Toure played AM very rarely, usually in big games when City played with two DMs behind him. If Guardiola decides to replace Toure, he will not be looking for an AM. Feghouli is a winger, just because he played AM a couple of times doesn't mean he will be a like-for-like substitute for an AM at a different club, especially if that someone isn't an AM. It's like saying Manchester United bought Carrick to replace O'Shea because O'Shea played DM a few times. Laughable argument. Not that I am surprised.
Srna is a quality full-back, but anyone who believes that, at 34, he's good enough for Guardiola and City and the PL and better than Sagna should think again. If he was, or ever had been, top quality he would have played in a better league and for a better club. Simple as that.
Take Valdes all you like, of course you were always going to say that.

Last edited:

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
Srna is better than Sagna both defensively and in an attacking sense, I would say you need a check up but that wouldn't help. What you need is a new sport, like cricket, as you ain't got a clue about football! It's of no surprise that many other posters have been quoting and laughing at your posts, just like in here when you claimed Pep blames everything and everyone bar himself, which is just utter garbage, similar to every post you make.

I'm just surprised you didn't hit me with another WWE quote, like come at me or something lame or an attempt at sarcasm which you always resort to when put in your place or have no valid points to make...

It was yourself that compared Toure and Feghouli roles, not me, what I did state was that City could have got rid of four players and replaced them with 4 free transfers on lower wages and the quality as a 'whole' would been improved. Toure has played 44 matches in an attack midfield role for Man City, which certainly isn't 'rarely'...

Dreadnought

Srna is better than Sagna both defensively and in an attacking sense, I would say you need a check up but that wouldn't help. What you need is a new sport, like cricket, as you ain't got a clue about football! It's of no surprise that many other posters have been quoting and laughing at your posts, just like in here when you claimed Pep blames everything and everyone bar himself, which is just utter garbage, similar to every post you make.

I'm just surprised you didn't hit me with another WWE quote, like come at me or something lame or an attempt at sarcasm which you always resort to when put in your place or have no valid points to make...

It was yourself that compared Toure and Feghouli roles, not me, what I did state was that City could have got rid of four players and replaced them with 4 free transfers on lower wages and the quality as a 'whole' would been improved. Toure has played 44 matches in an attack midfield role for Man City, which certainly isn't 'rarely'...
:lol::lol::lol: You didn't need this in your life, mate.

RedCurry

In the post to which I replied your only reference to tiki-taka was in your vision of some City players attempting to play it. No mention of branding. Maybe you mentioned it in another post elsewhere but you certainly made nothing clear?

That the underlying principles between Pep's chosen style are the same as tiki-taka is just common sense. I'm sure that every coach would hope to retain possession and deprive the opposition of it thereby reaping the advantages a possession advantage provides. Obviously not all coaches have the resources to successfully implement this wish hence some teams like Leicester City under Rainieri found another way.
Your implied criticism of my formatting is laughable. I'm sure that any readers we have can understand my points perfectly well. If you want to discuss football on here, may I suggest caring less on style and more on substance?
I did make it pretty clear in my second post. But next time I can spell it out for you.

I do agree though that most managers would prefer to have possession. But some managers and teams have philosophy they always stick to. For example, you can take it for granted that a Mourinho team with same amount of resources will definitely have lesser possession over a season than a Pep team. Real Madrid don't lack resources but they always have substantially lesser possession over the course of the season compared to Barca. Successful teams spend money over multiple transfer windows getting types of players their club philosophy and their manager demands.

In case of Pep, he needs players who can take good care of the ball and defend by starving opposition of the ball. I was stating that City squad does not have the right players to do it.

Yes, content of your post is important but this being an online forum, formatting is just as important. But I am glad my criticism of your formatting helped you improve it. :)

NYC

Thanks.

Yeah I agree that he will be moved on, although he's the exact type of player that would thrive in Pep's formation and style. Far better than Sagna IMO, it's hard to change a whole team in one transfer window, that's why I believe it makes sense to keep him for one more season. Surprised Man City didn't attempt to get the likes or Srna, Feghouli, Caceres or Nagatomo on short term deals on free transfers. Would have been good additions and better than what is at the club already on a whole.

Srna for Sagna
Nagatomo for Kolarov
Caceres for Demichellis
Feghouli for Yaya Toure.

Fegouli was sold to WEst ham like three days ago....

New GK
Gundogan New DM
KDB Silva Nolito
Aguero

Don't think Gundogan can stay healthy for a full season as a CM and playing Gundogan+Silva +KDB is overkill defensively. Everything going to park the bus and just counter on that side. Fernandinho should start for Pep either as a CB or CM and go for Sane +Sterling on the wings and drop either kdb or silva.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
Not picked a good time to have a wobble, has he?
He had a spell like this a few years ago when Pellegrini took him out of the lineup and it was a few weeks before he won his place back. With Hart's distribution problems Pep will surely be considering bringing in someone to seriously challenge him.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Not picked a good time to have a wobble, has he?
He had a spell like this a few years ago when Pellegrini took him out of the lineup and it was a few weeks before he won his place back. With Hart's distribution problems Pep will surely be considering bringing in someone to seriously challenge him.
You guys were seriously interested in Stegen. I'm convinced you will be signing a top keeper. Hart will not start for Guardiola. I've never thought so. Even before this tournament.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
You guys were seriously interested in Stegen. I'm convinced you will be signing a top keeper. Hart will not start for Guardiola. I've never thought so. Even before this tournament.
We've got to balance all the factors.
In his favour he's home grown/club trained, popular with most of the fans and has put in many superb performances but against that he seems to save his greatest howlers for big games and is nowhere near being the "sweeper keeper" that Pep favours.
I would be amazed if Pep doesn't bring in another top keeper to challenge him in an open contest.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
We've got to balance all the factors.
In his favour he's home grown/club trained, popular with most of the fans and has put in many superb performances but against that he seems to save his greatest howlers for big games and is nowhere near being the "sweeper keeper" that Pep favours.
I would be amazed if Pep doesn't bring in another top keeper to challenge him in an open contest.
Hart will start the season but as he season progresses, the door will be shut. There will be an outcry but as long as you guys keep winning matches it won't be an issue.
What you have to watch out for is that the new guy will be a media target.

Classical Mechanic

Hart better than Valdes. :lol::lol:
They are both as bad as each other IMO, only for different reasons.

Valdes is fantastic with his feet and reaction saves but he can't deal with crosses and gets beaten at his near post too easily.

I dreaded him being in goal for us.

I don't think he is suited to the PL at all.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Hart will start the season but as he season progresses, the door will be shut. There will be an outcry but as long as you guys keep winning matches it won't be an issue.
What you have to watch out for is that the new guy will be a media target.
I'd be surprised if Pep would allow such a fool to be part of starting formation. The goalie is very important for his philosophy, and he'll do anything to prevent having to work with such an error prone anti-footballer.