Manchester City under Pep Guardiola | Pep on City v Liverpool ref: "He likes to be special"

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I did not see any thread about them for the upcoming season so I decided to start one.
They have just signed Nolito and will probably sign another winger.
How do we think he will line up?
With Nolito and another winger coming in, I can't see how he would fit Silva, Sterling KDB and he new players into the same side.
I also don't see how a midfield combination of Fernandinho and Gundogan works. Both players aren't really good at protecting a defense even though they have good work rate.

izzydiggler

They'll certainly be formidable, given the huge investment in their team. As for Pep, I'm not convinced he's 'all that'...not that he hasn't achieved or even that he isn't a good manager but Heynckes won a treble with Bayern before he joined and Zidane/Enrique between the 2 have won La Ligas and the CL...in short, he has certainly been given the tools to win trophies, possibly more so than any other manager that I can think of, so for me there is a question mark over his claims for greatness.

Bojan11

Nolito will be a squad option. Surprised though they signing average 29 year old though.

Tarrou

I reckon they'll win the league fairly comfortably

Nolito or Sterling left, Silva central and KDB on the right imo.

Can see them signing another CM this summer too. Pep likes loads of CM's.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Nolito hasn't officially signed, although it looks like it's a done deal. Strong rumours of Sane joining them as well. They'll have a strong team for sure, but will they struggle to meet the UEFA's 8 locally trained rule? Or I guess they can cope with 17 first teamers and including some younger unknown players to fill up the numbers.

Adisa

I also think they will win the league but I dont see the balance in their team yet. I can't see Pep playing KDB wide. He likes his wingers.

Tarrou

I also think they will win the league but I dont see the balance in their team yet. I can't see Pep playing KDB wide. He likes his wingers.
How do you think he'll fit Silva and KDB in the team?

Bojan11

It's a bit early to say they'd win the league comfortably. Even last season after 5 games everybody got carried away.

They need serious investment in the fullback and CM positions also.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Aguero
Silva/Nolito de Bruyne Sane*
Gundogan ???
??? ??? ??? ???
???
*not done but only a matter of time

Could see them making signings for most of the ??? but priority for them will probably be full backs with Hart, Otamendi, Fernando/inho being around for at least another season.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Pep wants to by a new back 4 if we are to believe the press. Their fullbacks are getting on so it would make sense but getting 2 new central defenders is probably overkill.

kenny19

Biggest joke so far. Their Team is far from balanced. Who will replace Toure?

You can't make these kind of statements without them making any additional signing. To me the strongest team so far is arsenal. One superstar striker signing and they will for sure win the league next year.

People forget that their biggest player when they were dominant was Yaya toure. Last season is was to some extent KDB but they still struggled to make 4th. I didn't include aguero because he is not reliable and is injured most of the season.

Nolito to me is another pedro and is just backup. I can't see him improving their side at all. Gundogan is currently injured and won't be available till october I think.Their defenders are all trash, error prone and nothing special so please tell me again how they can comfortably win the league?

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal

They'll be strong but will probably be less than the sum of their parts, at least for next season. They will probably have 5-6 new first XI players, along with other newcomers as well, and its hard to build a dominant team immediately with that many new faces. Almost their entire defense and central midfield looks to be in for a rebuild.

I think Pep will have his toughest job yet in imposing his style of play on this group. At Barca, his style was already highly ingrained in the club and the Bayern team he inherited was not only a treble winner but also already accustomed to usually dominating possession, with midfielders like Kroos, Schweinsteiger, etc. Pep's style depends on the central midfielders and center backs being supremely confident on the ball and he is essentially starting with scratch there at City since none of their existing players fit that description.

Tarrou

Biggest joke so far. Their Team is far from balanced. Who will replace Toure?

You can't make these kind of statements without them making any additional signing. To me the strongest team so far is arsenal. One superstar striker signing and they will for sure win the league next year.

People forget that their biggest player when they were dominant was Yaya toure. Last season is was to some extent KDB but they still struggled to make 4th. I didn't include aguero because he is not reliable and is injured most of the season.

Nolito to me is another pedro and is just backup. I can't see him improving their side at all. Gundogan is currently injured and won't be available till october I think.Their defenders are all trash, error prone and nothing special so please tell me again how they can comfortably win the league?
I can make these kind of statements. I think they'll win the league fairly comfortably. See it's easy!

ReDDHDevilS

It really winds me up when people write things like Pep will simply walk the league!

I remember last season when City signed De Bruyne, Sterling, Otamendi how a lot of Cafties were wetting their pants with almost every post was like - OMG Aguero-Sterling-Silva-De Bruyne-Toure that front five would be unstoppable and would just slaughter the rest of the league. Yeah they murdered the rest so much so that finished fourth and that's by virtue of better goal difference!

This is the same Pep who couldn't get past the CL semi with a Bayern team that went into back to back CL final prior to his arrival, a team that consists the likes of Neuer, Muller, Lewandowski, Robben, Ribery, Xabi, Vidal, Lahm, Boateng etc. and I'm not even mentioning the likes of Thiago, Costa, Gotze etc. who'd be starters for City. In my opinion, there is no team in Europe who has as much strength in depth at almost every postilion as Bayern has.

From that Bayern team to City who doesn't have two decent FBs, whose CBs aren't anywhere near Bayern's level either, midfield is average & aging and the only addition so far is a crooked Gundogan (one of my favorites when fit I'd admit though), wide options are players who can't hit a cow's backside with a banjo plus Nolito who will be playing for the first time in this league, star players like Toure and Silva who've carried this City team over the years are a shadow of their former selves. He's 2 genuine game changers in Aguero and De Bruyne and one of them misses quite a lot through injury.

Last season was Tuchel's first season with Dortmund, a team languished in the bottom half of the table till January the season before, and yet up until the final 4/5 games Dortmund was only 4/5 points behind Bayern. And that's without any major investment in Dortmund's squad.

Here Pep will be working in a new league where there are more than 3/4 good teams with a team needing huge overhaul, he himself and the new players needing time to adapt to the PL as well as the whole team needing time to learn his style, and to suggest he'd just walk it in his first season is nothing short of laughable.

Last edited:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
They'll be strong but will probably be less than the sum of their parts, at least for next season. They will probably have 5-6 new first XI players, along with other newcomers as well, and its hard to build a dominant team immediately with that many new faces. Almost their entire defense and central midfield looks to be in for a rebuild.

I think Pep will have his toughest job yet in imposing his style of play on this group. At Barca, his style was already highly ingrained in the club and the Bayern team he inherited was not only a treble winner but also already accustomed to usually dominating possession, with midfielders like Kroos, Schweinsteiger, etc. Pep's style depends on the central midfielders and center backs being supremely confident on the ball and he is essentially starting with scratch there at City since none of their existing players fit that description.
Added to that he'll have to learn PL dynamics on the hoof and I'm.sure will make some costly tactical mistakes along the way in in first season

Bojan11

Not getting Laporte is a big blow. He is perfect for Pep's system.

Avergae? lol
No, average.

Unless you think he is world class. He's not much better than Pedro. Guardiola chose Pedro over him at Barcelona and didn't even give him a game when he was at Barca.

The BlackGaijin

Ooh Yes! I was wondering when this thread will pop up. You will see alot of closet city fans tell you that they will walk the league like they have said for the last two seasons. They will write things like ...

"honestly looking at the squads,I reckon its between city and Arsenal for the title..but pep will give city an edge":D .

I swear they repeat this line at the beginning of every season like zombies, as if trying to convince themselves we are not a threat anymore. Don't let is get to you, you will find it funny when they get thrashed left right and center by the likes of Leicester, and Rashford.

You will also find muppets who will keep telling you that Aguero, Kdb, Silva will score five goals every game. And that Gundogan will transform them. Ignoring the fact that it is more likely that Aguero, Silva, Gundogan will spend most of the time with the doctor than with Pep.

In reality, if you wanted to bet on the surprise of this season, I would put some money on them finishing outside the top four this season. Now, now, I know some of you believe religiously that Pep is immune of failure. But they have an aging squad, no defense to think of since Kompany is always injured. They might never really replace Toure just like United with Keane and Arsenal with Viera. And its Pep's first season and first time with a team that lacks world beaters.

I think west ham or Chelsea will take their place in the top four and we will take Leicester's.

Last edited:

prarek

No, average.

Unless you think he is world class. He's not much better than Pedro. Guardiola chose Pedro over him at Barcelona and didn't even give him a game when he was at Barca.
There are players between average and world class you know? 5 years ago no one know who Payet was. Anyone who has seen Nolito play in the last two years know he is a better player now.

Rafateria

It's a bit early to say they'd win the league comfortably. Even last season after 5 games everybody got carried away.

They need serious investment in the fullback and CM positions also.
Absolutely. They look in need of major upgrades and PG has a lot of work on his hands. Nolito is not that impressive and would be a surprise signing for me though Sterling's continued very average/poor form is perplexing but predicted (by Liverppol supporters who thought he'd be out of his depth at City).
Surely Toure will be gone and they still have issues in defence. Until I see 3-4 very good inbound players City will remain a probable Top 4 team for next season and Chelsea (again dependant to a lesser degree on inbounds), without any Euro distractions, my favourites for the title.

Bojan11

There are players between average and world class you know? 5 years ago no one know who Payet was. Anyone who has seen Nolito play in the last two years know he is a better player now.
Payet was known. He just wasn't consistent enough.

Hope everybody doesn't compare every 29 year old signing with Payet.

Nolito isn't someone who is going to get them from 4th to 1st. Besides goalscoring was not really a problem. It was getting control of games and defending.

I hope they continue to sign these sort of players.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Added to that he'll have to learn PL dynamics on the hoof and I'm.sure will make some costly tactical mistakes along the way in in first season
You're assuming that Pep hasn't been preparing for this job for months if not years?
Whatever the fate of City this season if they fail it won't be down to lack of preparation.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Payet was known. He just wasn't consistent enough.

Hope everybody doesn't compare every 29 year old signing with Payet.

Nolito isn't someone who is going to get them from 4th to 1st. Besides goalscoring was not really a problem. It was getting control of games and defending.

I hope they continue to sign these sort of players.
Nolito is far from average. He was very good last season in few games I watched. He has scored more than 10 league goals in the last 3 seasons. He is easily upgrade on Sterling.

Adisa

Ooh Yes! I was wondering when this thread will pop up. You will see alot of closet city fans tell you that they will walk the league like they have said for the last two seasons. They will write things like ...

"honestly looking at the squads,I reckon its between city and Arsenal for the title..but pep will give city an edge":D .

I swear they repeat this line at the beginning of every season like zombies, as if trying to convince themselves we are not a threat anymore. Don't let is get to you, you will find it funny when they get thrashed left right and center by the likes of Leicester, and Rashford.

You will also find muppets who will keep telling you that Aguero, Kdb, Silva will score five goals every game. And that Gundogan will transform them. Ignoring the fact that it is more likely that Aguero, Silva, Gundogan will spend most of the time with the doctor than with Pep.

In reality, if you wanted to bet on the surprise of this season, I would put some money on them finishing outside the top four this season. Now, now, I know some of you believe religiously that Pep is immune of failure. But they have an aging squad, no defense to think of since Kompany is always injured. They might never really replace Toure just like United with Keane and Arsenal with Viera. And its Pep's first season and first time with a team that lacks world beaters.

I think west ham or Chelsea will take their place in the top four and we will take Leicester's.
Thinking City will win the league doesn't mean your a closet City fan ffs.
I simply think they have the best manager in the world and will buy to vastly improve their team.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
I remember last season when City signed De Bruyne, Sterling, Otamendi how a lot of Cafties were wetting their pants with almost every post was like - OMG Aguero-Sterling-Silva-De Bruyne-Toure that front five would be unstoppable and would just slaughter the rest of the league. Yeah they murdered the rest so much so that finished fourth and that's by virtue of better goal difference!
City probably would have walked the league if all those players + Kompany actually stayed fit.

Richard Thurbin

Suggest Jose shows up on September 10th in his slept-in tracksuit/haven't shaved for a week guise. Would spook the shit out of the slick fashion-plate narcissist. "In this room, he is the f**king boss, the f**king master.”

Last edited:

Dreadnought

Thinking City will win the league doesn't mean your a closet City fan ffs.
I simply think they have the best manager in the world and will buy to vastly improve their team.
Jeeez, where did that come from? Winning the Bundesliga and feeding off of Barcelona's dominance in a two-team league and the fact that Italian and English teams had been in transition during his Champions League 'heroics'?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Jeeez, where did that come from? Winning the Bundesliga and feeding off of Barcelona's dominance in a two-team league and the fact that Italian and English teams had been in transition during his Champions League 'heroics'?
Calm down, its a legitimate claim. Time will tell whether its true or not, no need to downplay his exploits. Wasn't his UCL dominance during the era of one of Fergies best ever sides? Chill out.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
City probably would have walked the league if all those players + Kompany actually stayed fit.
Maybe, maybe not. We'd have certainly gone closer if we had less injuries but you can never tell for sure. It wasn't just the injuries for me though - when we had the 5 wins on the spin at the start of last season, we weren't actually smashing teams but looked a solid unit. Much of that for me was down to the defensive cover that Sterling was giving Kolarov and Navas was giving Sagna. For some reason though - maybe injuries played a part but I'm not convinced it was just down to injuries - we appeared to abandon that blueprint. Funnily enough, this could've been down to KDB's arrival (he came on for his debut part way through that fifth win at Palace) and Pellegrini trying to shoe-horn him into the line-up. I'm not blaming De Bruyne himself of course - I think he's a fantastic player and a huge asset to us but his arrival appeared to coincide with us playing a different system to one that served us so well in the opening weeks of the season.

Bwuk

I wonder what formation they intend on playing.

By all accounts they are after Aubameyang, and I really can't see them spending a fortune on getting him to play him wide, so you'd assume him and Aguero upfront.

Problem is there squad is littered with number 10s (Silva, De Bruyne, arguably Stering is better there than wide), how does everyone fit in?

Dreadnought

Calm down, its a legitimate claim. Time will tell whether its true or not, no need to downplay his exploits. Wasn't his UCL dominance during the era of one of Fergies best ever sides? Chill out.
He might have a shout but Ancelotti and Mourinho, for example, have done it in more difficult conditions and over a longer period of time.

cyberman

What injuries did they have? KDB for 6 weeks?
When they were fit and playing together they were nowhere near impressive. Their injury list wasn't worse than anybody elses.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He might have a shout but Ancelotti and Mourinho, for example, have done it in more difficult conditions and over a longer period of time.
Which is why I said time will tell. Its not a ludicrous claim. Hes done more than Ancelotti has done for instance even though the he has been around for less time.

Tarrou

Their motivation was shot last season. I think they're a good bet for the title this year because Pep will motivate them again, and also bring in a few top players. The competition isn't that impressive, is it? United, Chelsea and Liverpool are also rebuilding. Arsenal are maybe in the best position for a title challenge but I'd back Pep versus Wenger even in his first year. And Leicester will lose some players.