Manchester City under Pep Guardiola | Pep on City v Liverpool ref: "He likes to be special"

salford_

Conte comes in finds a way to use Moses and the existing squad, brings the best out of his players. But Pep "needs to buy a new defence" first. feck off. He is being shown up

salford_

The same JM who won the CL with Porto and Inter?

Has Pep ever won a comp when he wasn't managing the best team in it? Nope.
This. Went to Inter and smashed a treble.League, cup and CL. Aswell as his Porto honours. Winning the treble with Inter, and the CL with Porto is a monumental achievement to winning stuff with Bayern and Barca

SomeRandomPerson

Be interesting to see how many mistakes Stones has made that has led to a goal / goal scoring opportunity while on the ball..
Must be top of the league for that.
I know there have been tons of messages in the thread since your post, but if you're still curious:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Winning the treble with Inter, and the CL with Porto is a monumental achievement to winning stuff with Bayern and Barca
Heh, not really. Inter were still one of the richest clubs in the world when he was in charge, they had a great team and little domestic competition. They weren't as good as barcelona, but worst case they were easily the third or fourth best team in the world that season. More likey, the 2nd best

TheReligion

Abusive
Jesus. Has Pep actually said he doesn't train tackling with the players and doesn't feel he needs to?

He needs to adapt for the PL or City are in for a rough few years.

Janson

Jesus. Has Pep actually said he doesn't train tackling with the players and doesn't feel he needs to?

He needs to adapt for the PL or City are in for a rough few years.
Hope he doesn't, I don't think he ever will though he's to stuborn.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I'd be surprised if anybody does. How do you even train tackling? That's something players do naturally...

padr81

Supports
Man City
I guess he meant to say that he doesn't focus specifically on tackling during training, and not that tackling is pointless.

Do you have a link for this by any chance?
It was one of the pre game conferences, think it could of been Burnley or Palace recently.

donkeyfish

I'm fairly certain I read an article about pressing a while ago. Amongst other things, it described how Barcelona was pressing under Guardiola. If I recall correctly, he likes to press to shut down the angle between the carrier and his options. In contrast with e.g. ourselves now.

This could be what he meant when he talked about the lack of tackling training.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
The same JM who won the CL with Porto and Inter?

Has Pep ever won a comp when he wasn't managing the best team in it? Nope.
Amazing achievements at Inter and Porto.

He is still the most 'spendiest' manager of all time though. And you know that's exactly what he will do next summer window, but why not if you can afford it?

ti vu

Heh, not really. Inter were still one of the richest clubs in the world when he was in charge, they had a great team and little domestic competition. They weren't as good as barcelona, but worst case they were easily the third or fourth best team in the world that season. More likey, the 2nd best
You just build up other people's point: Mourinho win with teams being not the best team in CL like Barcelona dream team at their peak!

Absolutely not second best. United and Chelsea that year in form were better. Madrid's individuals can be regarded as better. Not as a team though.

Amazing achievements at Inter and Porto.

He is still the most 'spendiest' manager of all time though. And you know that's exactly what he will do next summer window, but why not if you can afford it?
He changed between clubs with high demands as well as inheriting squad with flaws. He spent to correct the flaws and most of the time proves the point of spending. Barcelona has a core yet they still made big signing annually under Pep: Zlatan, Cesc, David Villa, Alexis Sanchez with some bargain like Pique, D.Alves... Bayern had core and bullied their local market for quality signings which is extremely difficult in English market given average player like Sissoko went for 30 mil from a relegated team(!). City spent so much in the past and Pep like Mourinho spent similar figure last transfer window.

The myth was Pep can build a team from scratch on cheap aka better version of Wenger, which now is being challenged.

As other has said Pep has only won with the favorite and yet to prove himself with an underdog. If you want to debate about spending vs DIY approach then it's better to use Wenger or Klopp & Poch (yet to draw a conclusion) argument than Pep.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
You just build up other people's point: Mourinho win with teams being not the best team in CL like Barcelona dream team at their peak!

Absolutely not second best. United and Chelsea that year in form were better. Madrid's individuals can be regarded as better. Not as a team though.

He changed between clubs with high demands as well as inheriting squad with flaws. He spent to correct the flaws and most of the time proves the point of spending. Barcelona has a core yet they still made big signing annually under Pep: Zlatan, Cesc, David Villa, Alexis Sanchez with some bargain like Pique, D.Alves... Bayern had core and bullied their local market for quality signings which is extremely difficult in English market given average player like Sissoko went for 30 mil from a relegated team(!). City spent so much in the past and Pep like Mourinho spent similar figure last transfer window.

The myth was Pep can build a team from scratch on cheap aka better version of Wenger, which now is being challenged.

As other has said Pep has only won with the favorite and yet to prove himself with an underdog. If you want to debate about spending vs DIY approach then it's better to use Wenger or Klopp & Poch (yet to draw a conclusion) argument than Pep.
Pep has blown a whole lot of money in his time, but in fairness every manager who has worked at the top has.

Pep was lucky to inherit a team with Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Basquets, Alves and Puyol. They also had an amazing youth system. Having said that, he did take a great team and moved them into the discussion for the best of all-time.

The White Pele

I think they could have a really difficult Christmas period. The players don't seem confident or well-versed in how they're being expected to play right now and they won't have much time to work on it between games. A couple of big fixtures coming up for them too.

ti vu

Pep has blown a whole lot of money in his time, but in fairness every manager who has worked at the top has.

Pep was lucky to inherit a team with Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Basquets, Alves and Puyol. They also had an amazing youth system. Having said that, he did take a great team and moved them into the discussion for the best of all-time.
I don't disagree with anything of that. Just saying it's pointless bringing Mourinho's spending into the discussion when some other posters mentioned Pep would spend hefty to build up this City to the standard of his idealism, to combat the earlier notion of Pep build average squad to all time great level from ground zero.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
No they don't.

Considering our squad played a style similar to Peps in the last two seasons he would have had a better chance with us.

City have crap fullbacks and centre backs. Their CM options are nothing to shout about and the same can be said in the wide areas.
What we did under Van Gaal is nothing like how Pep wants to play apart from the fact that we made quite a lot of passes. We made them in safe areas of the pitch and has zero cutting edge. We were horrendous to watch.

If you look at some of Citys performance like the one against us earlier in the season or against Barcelona, they are better at playing like that than we are. Their one touch passing and movement in attack is far more reminiscent of what Pep wants. Along with their pressing etc.

Flytan

LVG's style of play is like Pep's in the idea they want possession. LVG plays it safe whereas Pep would rather win 2-1 than 1-0 so he takes more risks and sets a lineup that shows that. Plus I think Pep's teams press for the ball and fought back for the ball quickly whereas LVG just held onto it by making sure it wouldn't ever get to any useful areas.

VanGaalEra

Good post, everything stated is 100% correct.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
So i've heard the whole "don't train tackling" interview. Two things: one, i'm positive he by tackling he meant challenges in general, and two, what he said was actually pretty sensible, it seems we took one bit from it out of context and blew it way out of proportion he's a cnut :lol::lol::lol:

Stocar

I understand that people here will dislike anything connected to City as this is United forum and football is tribal. I can also somewhat understand dislike for the man (because there is a certain snobbish streak), although not to the extent of obsessive hate many tend to show, as Guardiola is generally respectful and well mannered.

But to claim he is not good and tactics and not proven yet is just mind boggling. His Barca and Bayern teams were extremely well organized and consistent. The style he imposes on his teams, based on fluidity and taking risk, is certainly a breath of fresh air in modern football that is too often bland and generic.

He has a big test in front of him though, to instill some confidence and toughness in this City team, and shuffling positions and changing line ups doesn't seem to help.

Reactions: Snowjoe

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
Tackle usually refers to sliding tackle. That's what Maldini was referring to. In Italy and Spain, defenders are taught NOT to do it. It's strictly supposed to be a last resort kind of thing. And you can bet Maldini never trained in it. In fact, i don't think anybody ever trained in it. What's the point? It's not something players need to practice

Maldini didn't and i don't think Rio did either. I don't think it's a trainable skill, really. Or a skill at all.

And people here are looking at the tackle quote the wrong way. In pep's system, if a player needs to make a tackle it means something went wrong. Ideally, if his team makes no tackles, that should mean they played well and didn't concede anything. The lack of tackling in this game should worry him, because it means his team played with no hunger, urgency, call it whatever you want. Basically, they either have no balls, or they don't care. Either case if i were the manager of that lot i'd be very worried
There's something lost in translation there then as we generally consider it a tackle if you take the ball off a player that has it under control.

sekularic

The feeling I have about Poop, is that he is just to stuborn. He didnt learn at bayern from his mistakes and doesnt seem to at city either. At times his teams play outstanding football; but he doesnt seem to have a plan b or a propper plan b. Seems like he doesnt want one

ti vu

The feeling I have about Poop, is that he is just to stuborn. He didnt learn at bayern from his mistakes and doesnt seem to at city either. At times his teams play outstanding football; but he doesnt seem to have a plan b or a propper plan b. Seems like he doesnt want one
You answered it. He didn't want to stay at Bayern longer nor went to another big club for a reason: He just want his own style and doesn't want compromise or political struggle, while still have great resource to fund his project. City fits the description perfectly.

Josep Dowling

I understand that people here will dislike anything connected to City as this is United forum and football is tribal. I can also somewhat understand dislike for the man (because there is a certain snobbish streak), although not to the extent of obsessive hate many tend to show, as Guardiola is generally respectful and well mannered.

But to claim he is not good and tactics and not proven yet is just mind boggling. His Barca and Bayern teams were extremely well organized and consistent. The style he imposes on his teams, based on fluidity and taking risk, is certainly a breath of fresh air in modern football that is too often bland and generic.

He has a big test in front of him though, to instill some confidence and toughness in this City team, and shuffling positions and changing line ups doesn't seem to help.
This.

He is clearly a good coach. If he wins the Premier League and Champions League with City he will go from a good manager to a great manager in my opinion.

The issue I have with him is the status he gets as the best manager ever, this revolutionary man who is above all other managers. Even he admits 'you need a Messi' to achieve what he did.

At Barcelona he wasted so many millions on players he sold a year later. He has spent just as much as Jose this season, though I can't work out how as only Bravo and Stones seem to start. To have swapped Hart and Kompany this has hardly improved their first 11.

Bayern you could arguably say they went backwards. I saw a documentary on Sky Sports about his time at Bayern. When they got hammered against Barcelona they made out it was because the players didn't listen to his tactics. Why is he so immune to criticism?

They just lost 4-1 to Leicester, this isn't Chelsea or Arsenal but a relegation battling Leicester City. It was all the managers fault for trying a stupid system with a RB as a holding midfielder and essentially having Stones as the only CB against 2 strikers. Suicidal against a long ball approach.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Bayern you could arguably say they went backwards. I saw a documentary on Sky Sports about his time at Bayern. When they got hammered against Barcelona they made out it was because the players didn't listen to his tactics. Why is he so immune to criticism?
I thought that was down to injuries? I remember him taking the blame for the epic 4-0 demolition we put on them at the allianz, but it always striked me as weird. We scored twice from set pieces in that game and it was over after that. We didn't really outplay them or anything. We actually played them off the park at the bernabeu, where his ability to prepare his team for the game and his tactics were exposed and surgically torn to pieces, and they got incredibly lucky to escape with only a 1-0 defeat, but apparently he did nothing wrong in that game

rotherham_red

I thought that was down to injuries? I remember him taking the blame for the epic 4-0 demolition we put on them at the allianz, but it always striked me as weird. We scored twice from set pieces in that game and it was over after that. We didn't really outplay them or anything. We actually played them off the park at the bernabeu, where his ability to prepare his team for the game and his tactics were exposed and surgically torn to pieces, and they got incredibly lucky to escape with only a 1-0 defeat, but apparently he did nothing wrong in that game
He actually blamed the Bernabeu defeat on his players, saying they wanted to play like they did under Jupp, which is blatantly bull considering Ancelotti basically took a page out of Jupp's playbook to beat Pep's Bayern. Yet, his acolytes will conveniently peddle that particular myth.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He actually blamed the Bernabeu defeat on his players, saying they wanted to play like they did under Jupp, which is blatantly bull considering Ancelotti basically took a page out of Jupp's playbook to beat Pep's Bayern. Yet, his acolytes will conveniently peddle that particular myth.
That was his excuse for the allianz debacle, not the bernabeu one. In fact, i believe the way they lost the first leg was the whole reason the team wanted to go back to jupp-ball for the second leg

serghei

Supports
FC Barcelona
There's something lost in translation there then as we generally consider it a tackle if you take the ball off a player that has it under control.
But Pep's teams usually force the opposition to give away the ball in their own half. It is more about applying pressure and not letting the other team to build their attacks. I don't see that as tackling. Guardiola teams press as a unit and apply pressure on the ball carrier.

Actual tackling is going for the ball and hoping you get there first. Top players often punish you for that. I have seen City getting skinned by Barca with Kompany in charge because they tought they can tackle the Barca players as if they were Wigan. All that got them was red cards and penalties against, or nutmegs from Messi. It is better to keep your shape and don't take yourself out of the game by going for tackles that can very well fail. And if they fail in key zones you're done.