Kick-off
Sun, 2 October 2022 @ 2:00pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

SAF is the GOAT

Yep, nothing wrong with playing on the counter here. We’ve seen countless times that it’s the only way to beat them, so why not?
    I still remember the game where we won 2-0 in the emptyhad. City typically had more of the ball but we were a lot more dangerous on the counter with 8 chances that 6 of them were on target with front 3 of Tony, Marcus, Dan James and Bruno behind them.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
    I still remember the game where we won 2-0 in the emptyhad. City typically had more of the ball but we were a lot more dangerous on the counter with 8 chances that 6 of them were on target with front 3 of Tony, Marcus, Dan James and Bruno behind them.
    Yeah, and that’s where players like Rashford are useful - with space in behind, which their tactics will allow you. I never understand it when people like Klopp complain that teams have the audacity to hit them on the break. Your tactics involve sitting on the halfway line, why wouldn’t teams try and exploit your most obvious weakness?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
    No way Martial starts. His last appearance was against Liverpool, a full 40 days before the City fixture. It's quite unfortunate.

The best approach would be Sancho-Rashford-Antony. Or Elanga-Sancho-Antony if Rashford is not fit. But Sancho playing false 9 has not been properly tried and would be a risky choice in a big game.
    In the many years I’ve watched football I’ve seen several players start their first game upon the return to fitness. It’s not as uncommon as made out I don’t think. If he’s fully fit and been training for a while, it wouldn’t surprise me. Although neither would a substitute role of course. But if he’s considered crucial to the game plan, if he is able to start he will.

NLunited

This is a game you can lose badly if you don’t start out with enough workrate and belief. No different than going up against Liverpool.

It can go either way, but I think we might do well. It will be a playground upfront for the kids.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
    We went through a couple long periods of doninating the ball in that game too, which was certainly odd :lol: we played really well that day and Martial didn't score but he was brilliant that day.

MUW4Eva

This is a game you can lose badly if you don’t start out with enough workrate and belief. No different than going up against Liverpool.

It can go either way, but I think we might do well. It will be a playground upfront for the kids.
    Liverpool are utterly rubbish though, they pose no threat to us at all, they have no defence, no midfield, and certainly no one can remotely put the ball on the back of the net....

Whereas with City they are the definition of a one man team, they remind me a lot of when we had Ruud, who was ten times the goalscorer that Haaland currently thinks that he is.

Stop him, and we'll, City have no one else to worry about from an attacking sense.

croadyman

Liverpool are utterly rubbish though, they pose no threat to us at all, they have no defence, no midfield, and certainly no one can remotely put the ball on the back of the net....

Whereas with City they are the definition of a one man team, they remind me a lot of when we had Ruud, who was ten times the goalscorer that Haaland currently thinks that he is.

Stop him, and we'll, City have no one else to worry about from an attacking sense.
    No one else to worry about are you kidding me

MUW4Eva

No one else to worry about are you kidding me
    Why please enlighten me, away from Haaland, who else is there to be really worried about from a goalscoring perspective??

If anything we have more players for them to worry about trying to stop scoring, then we do about them.

Steve 007

Why not??

We have looked pretty good recently.
    I hope I’m wrong but I fear for us going into this game. I really feel we needed the Palace and Leeds game. We came out of the Arsenal game with confidence having won four in a row. To play possibly the best team in the world with the best striker on the planet is going to be hard when we haven’t played for over two weeks. Match fitness and confidence could drop. We needed them games to get Casimero and Anthony up to PL speed. We needed a few more games gelling our defence.

I really hope I’m wrong, and the two weeks off allows Ten Haag to get more coaching and fitness into the players. I guess we’ll see.

Chief123

No way Martial starts. His last appearance was against Liverpool, a full 40 days before the City fixture. It's quite unfortunate.

The best approach would be Sancho-Rashford-Antony. Or Elanga-Sancho-Antony if Rashford is not fit. But Sancho playing false 9 has not been properly tried and would be a risky choice in a big game.
    How else does an injured player make a comeback if it’s not starting a game?

Most players who return from injury, start the game rather than being a sub.

Chief123

I can actually see us getting a number of big chances on the counter. Especially if Rashford and Martial are fit too. It’s whether we take those chances and how many we can reduce City to.

little.triangles

How else does an injured player make a comeback if it’s not starting a game?

Most players who return from injury, start the game rather than being a sub.
    Martial didn't start against Liverpool, a game in which he was returning from injury.

Also, are there any stats to back up the bolded?

RedPed

Whatabouter.
    I think we've beaten this recent City team more than anybody else if I'm not mistaken but when they beat us, they usually beat us good. Haaland can have his moment in the sun this season, but I reckon he'll get sussed out next season.

This is going to be a tight game and reckon we can do 'em. 2-1 to United.

little.triangles

Casimero must be starting in this one, surely?
    Only if EtH goes with Bruno as a false 9 I think, because he will definitely start Eriksen, McT, and Bruno.

As others have said, the following might be well worth a try as a front 6:
    Casemiro
    McT Eriksen
    Bruno
    Antony Rashford

dal

No way I would be starting Casemiro, Mctominay and Eriksen for now, hopefully Rashford or Martial is fit.

Lentwood

The key to beating them is to keep attacking them whenever possible.

Palace, Newcastle, Liverpool and Dortmund have all shown that they are vulnerable but then all bar Liverpool made the mistake of sitting-in and trying to defend a lead.

When teams do this, it allows the fullbacks to basically play as midfield players and create attacking overloads until the inevitable goal comes

You MUST leave players in attacking positions and keep attempting to break forward with numbers

Chief123

I think we've beaten this recent City team more than anybody else if I'm not mistaken but when they beat us, they usually beat us good. Haaland can have his moment in the sun this season, but I reckon he'll get sussed out next season.

I’m not sure about that. Teams know exactly what he wants to do right now. The hard part is trying to stop it. He’s not doing anything unusual. He’s just bloody good at doing the basics of getting on the end of chances.

MUW4Eva

I am sure opposition sides thought that Ruud might have been a one season wonder, but he was more than that, Haaland might be similar, but I am fairly confident that in this game we shall keep him off of the scoresheet.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
    Just for the love of god dont leave a lot of room behind the defensive line.

tomaldinho1

I’m not sure about that. Teams know exactly what he wants to do right now. The hard part is trying to stop it. He’s not doing anything unusual. He’s just bloody good at doing the basics of getting on the end of chances.
    Yeah I'd agree, it's an interesting one because he looks so awkward on the ball most of the time but his real strength is basically being Ole and Usain Bolt's love child - he's so quick onto chances in the box and is a general physical specimen it's hard to stop him even when you know what he wants to do. That said I'm still unsure if he makes City better or worse overall, the bar they set is high and I think they'll hammer the teams they'd hammer anyway by even more goals with Haaland but have they lost some of the fluidity and creativity that used to come from a false 9?

I'd say they look more open now but also more dangerous up front, is Pep just an oil backed Kevin Keegan? Will be interesting to see the reaction if United do manage to win.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
    City are very vulnerable to the counter attack. We've had a lot of good results at the Etihad for good reason as we can be a very effective counter attacking team.

I always go there not expecting us to get anything but I'm never really that shocked when we do.

Okey

It takes bravery to play Citeh. They are vulnerable once they have to run backwards. If you can keep attacking them while doing the other basics right, you have a chance. I know we'll be up for this. Good start and it's on!

Boondog

In the many years I’ve watched football I’ve seen several players start their first game upon the return to fitness. It’s not as uncommon as made out I don’t think. If he’s fully fit and been training for a while, it wouldn’t surprise me. Although neither would a substitute role of course. But if he’s considered crucial to the game plan, if he is able to start he will.
    Agreed and also it is relative to the roster. Even if he's a little out of game shape he's still better than the other options.

Handré1990

WUM, surely? One of the worst posts I’ve read on here. Remind me again, who won the league last season?

suheilsworld

Their backline has always been relatively slow. Surely this must have been discussed in previous match day threads with City but if Sancho, Rashford and Antony can run behind the defense, there is no catching them. Eriksen would be immense to get those balls over the top.
    At the other end, DDG should be in his De-God mode to keep out everything coming his way.
    Tentatively confident for this one

justsomebloke

Crucial that Ronaldo starts and is instructed to stay around the penalty box. Not sure if Martial or Rashford can start after not playing for almost 3 weeks before the City game.
    I'd much rather have Rashford threatening the space behind their back 4 for this one, if he's healthy to go.

justsomebloke

I might be the minority, but I genuinely think we have a chance of a good result here. We have the perfect setup to hurt City. They’ll always play high and leave space behind. If we start with 3 out of Sancho, Rashford, Antony, Martial I think we can hurt them.

We’ve been to City before and beaten teams which I think are better than their current one with our teams being worse than our current one.

Eriksen’s passing from deep and Bruno‘s through balls will be the key to success. I’m confident in Varane and Martinez against Haaland.
    I'm not confident in anyone against Haaland, although I have a hunch Martinez might be surprisingly effective with his aggressiveness and ability to anticipate. The latter is the absolute key.

In any case, I'm really, really thrilled about probably not having to watch Harry Maguire trying to deal with Erling Haaland. And I'm not even one of the Maguire haters. He'd get 2 meters on Maguire before Harry's even had time to think about moving.

MUW4Eva

WUM, surely? One of the worst posts I’ve read on here. Remind me again, who won the league last season?
    They were set up entirely differently last season, now the priority for City is to get the ball to Haaland at all opportunities (and you can understand why), but it is very reminiscent of when we had Ruud up top, who was a far better goalscorer in his time, but we were ever so much more of a one player team when Ruud played, and the same is with City.

If Haaland doesn't score for them, who else is there to really worry about from a purely realistic goalscoring point of view??

Sure others could chip in here and there, but for the moment, it does seem as if they have gone all in with Haaland, and the rest of the players are now secondary to him.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
    If Haaland doesn't score for them, who else is there to really worry about from a purely realistic goalscoring point of view??
    There's a point here, I agree. Losing Sterling and Jesus took a lot out of their wide attackers -- Grealish (especially) Silva, and Mahrez are more wide playmakers who don't really bag an awful lot. I'd say Gundogan is probably the next natural goalscorer after Haaland in their squad.

That being said, they create so many chances routinely, it doesn't really matter who they have them fall to. If we keep Haaland quiet we're halfway there, but they still have enough in sheer volume with creators like KDB/Cancelo etc. to keep plugging away.

justsomebloke

They were set up entirely differently last season, now the priority for City is to get the ball to Haaland at all opportunities (and you can understand why), but it is very reminiscent of when we had Ruud up top, who was a far better goalscorer in his time, but we were ever so much more of a one player team when Ruud played, and the same is with City.

Sure others could chip in here and there, but for the moment, it does seem as if they have gone all in with Haaland, and the rest of the players are now secondary to him.
    Largely the same ones there was to worry about last season. This thing's overblown anyway - it's not like they're just constantly pumping balls towards Haaland.

BTW, who was Ruud a much better goalscorer than in his time? Surely you don't mean Haaland? Because you know, the numbers......

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
    Stevenage
    So they drew with Villa, Toon & Barca and lost community shield to Pool, I do wonder what we can learn from that.

Pool was too early and Barca went toe to toe with them in the same style so I can't see us replicating that as we don't have the same retention quality in midfield, both Newcastle & Villa got a point against City with 30% possession or less and stayed compact and broke on the counter as we have got our results against the biggest teams, I'd go with a hard working, compact but fast team, something like the below:

DDG
    Dalot Varane Martinez Malacia
    Mctominay Eriksen
    Antony Bruno Elanga
    Rashford

We can look to bring on Casemiro for Elanga and push wide later on to jam the midfield but I'd play for a low scoring draw and hope to get lucky on the break.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Anthony Martial image Anthony Martial 68% of 246 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

3.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 252 ratings.

Score Predictions