Kick-off
Sun, 2 October 2022 @ 2:00pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

mu4c_20le

WUM, surely? One of the worst posts I’ve read on here. Remind me again, who won the league last season?
    Remind me again what was the result at Villa Park?

You'd think we're about to go up against 2009 Barca, the way some of you go on about this magical City.

MUW4Eva

Largely the same ones there was to worry about last season. This thing's overblown anyway - it's not like they're just constantly pumping balls towards Haaland.

BTW, who was Ruud a much better goalscorer than in his time? Surely you don't mean Haaland? Because you know, the numbers......
    Not the same ones as last season at all, they are without Sterling and Jesus for a start, so that is two additional players that in this match we don't have to worry about.

It is of course a huge ask to keep Haaland off of the scoresheet, but if we can, then that will help us out hugely, as their other attacking options are no where near as regular or reliable in front of goal.

I would say that we have more of an attending threat collectively than they do, as we don't tend to rely upon just one main out and out striker, since Ronaldo sadly, very sadly, isn't the player of his pomp any more.
    Antony, Rashord, Sancho, and to a degree Eriksen, offer more together, then their respective players in similar positions.

Marwood

They were set up entirely differently last season, now the priority for City is to get the ball to Haaland at all opportunities (and you can understand why), but it is very reminiscent of when we had Ruud up top, who was a far better goalscorer in his time, but we were ever so much more of a one player team when Ruud played, and the same is with City.

If Haaland doesn't score for them, who else is there to really worry about from a purely realistic goalscoring point of view??

Sure others could chip in here and there, but for the moment, it does seem as if they have gone all in with Haaland, and the rest of the players are now secondary to him.
    De Bruyne and Mahrez knocked 4 past us in March.

MUW4Eva

De Bruyne and Mahrez knocked 4 past us in March.
    Again that was under in a different system of play, back then they were not so focused on getting the ball to one particular player, as they are right now, so thise two whilst of course still very good players, and still capable of scoring, no doubt about that, are not really the same sort of threat as they were before Haaland's arrival.

Marwood

Again that was under in a different system of play, back then they were not so focused on getting the ball to one particular player, as they are right now, so thise two whilst of course still very good players, and still capable of scoring, no doubt about that, are not really the same sort of threat as they were before Haaland's arrival.
    Same players, same manager but an entirely different system? I don’t think so.

A few changes her or there but Pep and City aren't completely changing what's worked just for one player. Probably couldn't change entirely even if they tried.

Haalands goals, or where he's scoring them from, are very similar to where Sterling got his. He's obviously just a much better finisher.

I'd love to believe we only have to stop one player but we've had our arses kicked by them too many times to buy into that.

tomaldinho1

Liverpool are utterly rubbish though, they pose no threat to us at all, they have no defence, no midfield, and certainly no one can remotely put the ball on the back of the net....

Whereas with City they are the definition of a one man team, they remind me a lot of when we had Ruud, who was ten times the goalscorer that Haaland currently thinks that he is.

Stop him, and we'll, City have no one else to worry about from an attacking sense.
    If City were a one man team, and they are clearly not, KBD is that one man.

Lemon Moon

Same 11 as the Arsenal game.
    Let's kick them off the pitch and hit them on the break.

Two - nil Yanited!

MUW4Eva

Same players, same manager but an entirely different system? I don’t think so.

A few changes her or there but Pep and City aren't completely changing what's worked just for one player. Probably couldn't change entirely even if they tried.

Haalands goals, or where he's scoring them from, are very similar to where Sterling got his. He's obviously just a much better finisher.

I'd love to believe we only have to stop one player but we've had our arses kicked by them too many times to buy into that.
    They have changed the way that they play, Haaland is a completely different sort of player to Stirling, Haaland will stay central, he won't really move out wide, unless really necessary.

So it is a case of at the moment, if you can stop Haaland (again a big ask, but we have the players to do that, Varane trained alongside a peak Ronaldo, & presumably had to mark him in training games etc), then you have a very good opportunity of stopping City from scoring.

Yes they have others, that can score, but certainly not in the numbers of Haaland, nor really in the same sort of reliability, now that the teams focus is on getting the ball to Haaland as soon as possible (and you can definitely understand why that is their plan A strategy).

Hammondo

Their backline has always been relatively slow. Surely this must have been discussed in previous match day threads with City but if Sancho, Rashford and Antony can run behind the defense, there is no catching them. Eriksen would be immense to get those balls over the top.
    At the other end, DDG should be in his De-God mode to keep out everything coming his way.
    Tentatively confident for this one
    On paper City don't have many amazing players, and as you say their backline is slow. They are an amazing team but we have seen multiple times over the years that if you test them enough, they often struggle.

Lemon Moon

Does anyone think we could see Sanco down the middle following the mangers comments recently?

Personally I'm not sure, nevertheless Rashford is better suited to playing on the left.

NICanRed

Will any PL ref have the guts to call Haaland for a high boot? surely it must just be a matter of time before he catches someone.

MUW4Eva

How does that change the fact he's the most important player in their team?
    He is their most important player, but from an attacking perspective, this season, they are a one man team, with where their goals are coming from, and who they look to; together said goals.
    The rest of the players are just there to feed Haaland chances, if any fall to other players, then that is a bonus for them really.

It is why they remind me so much of us when we had Ruud, sure we at the time, had other players who were very much capable of scoring, but we did look to try to get it to Ruud as often as possible (again for fairly obvious reasons).

If we stop Haaland, then we have a very high percentage of winning the game I would say.
    Hard to do of course, but I think that of any team can do so, then it is us.

Marwood

They have changed the way that they play, Haaland is a completely different sort of player to Stirling, Haaland will stay central, he won't really move out wide, unless really necessary.

So it is a case of at the moment, if you can stop Haaland (again a big ask, but we have the players to do that, Varane trained alongside a peak Ronaldo, & presumably had to mark him in training games etc), then you have a very good opportunity of stopping City from scoring.

Yes they have others, that can score, but certainly not in the numbers of Haaland, nor really in the same sort of reliability, now that the teams focus is on getting the ball to Haaland as soon as possible (and you can definitely understand why that is their plan A strategy).
    They just won at the weekend with Haaland one of three goalclscorers.

I mean you stop any top player from performing and it will help you win, but they're nowhere near a one man team.

Not that I think they're some unbeatable machine either.

Nicolarra90

Will any PL ref have the guts to call Haaland for a high boot? surely it must just be a matter of time before he catches someone.
    I'm 100% sure Bailly would have got KO'd by a Haaland high kick and we might have got him a few match banned (probably not, only a yellow).
    Although I believe Martinez also has a high chance of having one right to the face. In fact I believe he will look for it purposefully.

Handré1990

They were set up entirely differently last season, now the priority for City is to get the ball to Haaland at all opportunities (and you can understand why), but it is very reminiscent of when we had Ruud up top, who was a far better goalscorer in his time, but we were ever so much more of a one player team when Ruud played, and the same is with City.

If Haaland doesn't score for them, who else is there to really worry about from a purely realistic goalscoring point of view??

Sure others could chip in here and there, but for the moment, it does seem as if they have gone all in with Haaland, and the rest of the players are now secondary to him.
    You said, and I quote «the definition of a one man team», which is clearly ridiculous, and I refuse to entertain the notion even you believe this. They won the league last year without Haaland, and upgraded from Jesus. Does that really, in your honest opinion make them a worse team?

Remind me again what was the result at Villa Park?

You'd think we're about to go up against 2009 Barca, the way some of you go on about this magical City.
    Did you even read the post I answered? It’s OK to be a top red and still keep your wits about you..

Largely the same ones there was to worry about last season. This thing's overblown anyway - it's not like they're just constantly pumping balls towards Haaland.

BTW, who was Ruud a much better goalscorer than in his time? Surely you don't mean Haaland? Because you know, the numbers......
    and this, just use some common sense ffs. I’m not saying we can’t beat them, I’m just refuting the statement they’re a worse team because they went and got the hottest striker at this moment in time.

mu4c_20le

Did you even read the post I answered? It’s OK to be a top red and still keep your wits about you..
    Yes, I don't find the idea that you shut down haaland, you shut down city this year to be that far fetched. Villa already did it, and I think that's a more recent and relevant example than pointing to their title win last season. Liverpool finished one point behind them and look at them now.

MUW4Eva

Well, they scored 6 against us last season without him
    Again they were set up completely differently last season, they were more expansive, they used more players in their attack, now, their first instincts are to try to find Haaland, and to see if he can score, (which he usually can/does), but that means that their intentions, are very different from last season, where there was more emphasis on the collective, on anyone can score, so players were looking for each other, rather than a single player, as is the case this season.
    So that is what is very different about Man City this season, what happened last season is irrelevant, as they are not playing the same way, nor with the same instincts or intentions on the pitch anymore.

MUW4Eva

You said, and I quote «the definition of a one man team», which is clearly ridiculous, and I refuse to entertain the notion even you believe this. They won the league last year without Haaland, and upgraded from Jesus. Does that really, in your honest opinion make them a worse team?
    Where did I say, that it made them a worse team??

I said that they play differently, they are now much more of a one man attacking side, then they were previously (a darn good one player, just as we were with Ruud back in the day), as previously they were much more about the collective unit, of allowing anyone to score, of helping each other, from an attacking sense, now that isn't really the case.
    Now, their first instinct, (just as it was for us with Ruud) is to try to find Haaland, rather than finding each other.
    It is a different way of playing, I am not saying that they are a poorer team, but to a degree it makes setting out plans to at the very least try to stop them from scoring, that bit easier than in the past.
    But then again, I am sure there were plenty of sides back in the day, that set out with the sole intention of stopping Ruud, but by and large, he was too good for that tactic, and indeed Haaland may well be too good for that tactic now.
    However, City are now a different side from last season, and we shall have to wait and see if our plans are good enough to stop Haaland, and thus stop City from scoring.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
    Dont know why people keep saying that ''the two weeks off will allow Ten Haag to get more coaching and fitness into the players.''

There are 16 United players who have gone away for international duties.

TheLord

The overall record will read 65-50 after this match is over. Certainly not as impressive as it was before City's resurgence under the Arabs.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
    I heard this before and I don't really get it. This is arguably the best team in the world. We can fail to beat them and still be very good. Arsenal is closer to our level (right now) and are more likely to be our competition by the end of the season.
    He adores Ole so..

Handré1990

Yes, I don't find the idea that you shut down haaland, you shut down city this year to be that far fetched. Villa already did it, and I think that's a more recent and relevant example than pointing to their title win last season. Liverpool finished one point behind them and look at them now.
    Okay, mate. You’d rather use one game early doors as a yardstick, I’ve no problem with that. We’ll all know soon enough anyway

Handré1990

Where did I say, that it made them a worse team??

I said that they play differently, they are now much more of a one man attacking side, then they were previously (a darn good one player, just as we were with Ruud back in the day), as previously they were much more about the collective unit, of allowing anyone to score, of helping each other, from an attacking sense, now that isn't really the case.
    Now, their first instinct, (just as it was for us with Ruud) is to try to find Haaland, rather than finding each other.
    It is a different way of playing, I am not saying that they are a poorer team, but to a degree it makes setting out plans to at the very least try to stop them from scoring, that bit easier than in the past.
    But then again, I am sure there were plenty of sides back in the day, that set out with the sole intention of stopping Ruud, but by and large, he was too good for that tactic, and indeed Haaland may well be too good for that tactic now.
    However, City are now a different side from last season, and we shall have to wait and see if our plans are good enough to stop Haaland, and thus stop City from scoring.
    A one man team is by your own definition easier to contain, thus, a worse team. If your going to be disingenous why bother discussing. I think they’ll be a better team, and if needs be, Pep will bench Haaland if he thinks it’s needed at that time.

justsomebloke

and this, just use some common sense ffs. I’m not saying we can’t beat them, I’m just refuting the statement they’re a worse team because they went and got the hottest striker at this moment in time.
    Er, I haven't responded to any of your posts, and we seem to be saying the same thing?

Bwuk

I do wonder if he’ll be tempted to do Casemiro/McTominay/Eriksen midfield with Bruno going out wide.

One of McT/Casemiro dropping onto Haaland on the counter.

Olecurls99

Do we go toe to toe

Eriksen
    Casemiro
    Sancho
    Antony
    Bruno
    Martial

Or do we sit deeper, pack midfield and look for the breaks

Casemiro
    Mctominay
    Rashford
    Antony
    Eriksen/Bruno
    Martial

????

I'm going with option B for the moment. More chance of a draw that way.

Last edited:

pocco

loco
    Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
    Again they were set up completely differently last season, they were more expansive, they used more players in their attack, now, their first instincts are to try to find Haaland, and to see if he can score, (which he usually can/does), but that means that their intentions, are very different from last season, where there was more emphasis on the collective, on anyone can score, so players were looking for each other, rather than a single player, as is the case this season.
    So that is what is very different about Man City this season, what happened last season is irrelevant, as they are not playing the same way, nor with the same instincts or intentions on the pitch anymore.

Whilst I understand what you're saying, I wouldn't rely on that if that's what you're hoping for. If they struggle to create for Haaland then they will switch it up and start creating overloads. They've definitely not just forgotten how to score goals as a collective, something they have done very well for years now.

Smores

The games I've watched they've only really played to him when he's the best option. There's been plenty of times they could gave tried a forced ball to him but instead go elsewhere.

If what you claim is happening I don't think it's that dramatic. They're simply too well drilled for that and have several other goal scorers who take up positions in those edge of box spaces.

justsomebloke

Not the same ones as last season at all, they are without Sterling and Jesus for a start, so that is two additional players that in this match we don't have to worry about.

It is of course a huge ask to keep Haaland off of the scoresheet, but if we can, then that will help us out hugely, as their other attacking options are no where near as regular or reliable in front of goal.

I would say that we have more of an attending threat collectively than they do, as we don't tend to rely upon just one main out and out striker, since Ronaldo sadly, very sadly, isn't the player of his pomp any more.
    Antony, Rashord, Sancho, and to a degree Eriksen, offer more together, then their respective players in similar positions.
    I wrote largely the same ones. Sterling and Jesus are gone yes, but they scored 21 of City's 99 goals last season. The 78 goals scored by the players who are still there were more than the total scoring output of every other team except Liverpool. So it is quite ridiculous to suggest that this is a team dependent on Haaland's scoring to be an offensive threat.

But sure, we can beat them. So far, they're allowing the opposition even less in scoring chances than they did last season, but they have also significantly underperformed their xGA and have at times looked vulnerable on the break. And, they haven't yet played very strong opponents in the PL. Pep's first real test?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Anthony Martial image Anthony Martial 68% of 246 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

3.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 252 ratings.

Score Predictions