Dias
    Akanji

Rodri
    Gundogan
    KDB

B.Silva
    Haaland
    Grealish
    So essentially 4 Man Utd players would have been starters there (Varane, Shaw, Casemiro, Rashford) with 1 more player somewhat comparable to what City has in respective position (Bruno).

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
    We're perfectly capable of beating them in a one off game in 90 mins. I'm quietly optimistic. Just need to keep it tight at the back and take our chances when it matters.

Siorac

So essentially 4 Man Utd players would have been starters there (Varane, Shaw, Casemiro, Rashford) with 1 more player somewhat comparable to what City has in respective position (Bruno).
    The only one of those four United players who fits what Guardiola wants from his teams is Shaw.

Casemiro is defensively stronger than Rodri but a much worse passer.
    Varane is not as comfortable on the ball as either Stones or Dias.
    Rashford's technique is erratic, he's direct and not much of a passer. I don't think he's a worse player than Grealish in all circumstances but Grealish definitely fits Guardiola's City better.

Manchester Dan

Supports
    Man City
    Who would they start over? …

Alemar

Rodri has 11 goal contributions from 61 games, Casemiro has 13 goal contributions from 51 games - and we need to also consider difference in their strikers’ finishing capabilities.

Siorac

Rodri has 11 goal contributions from 61 games, Casemiro has 13 goal contributions from 51 games - and we need to also consider difference in their strikers’ finishing capabilities.
    Goal contribution is way, way down the list of priorities for a defensive midfielder.

Eplel

Beyond that, it's a really moot point to say that Casemiro wouldn't start in City, because there's this one category that Rodri might be better at.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
    Scout
    People keep saying 'strong at the back' and 'keep it tight' as if the absolute crux of this game isn't us losing midfield.

Our defence is proven; Rashford is proven; you'd surely back both when push comes to shove. Our midfield, however, we need to match Casemiro's bar and not leave him hanging.

Someone summon God Fred and that Bruno who has looked momentarily transcendental at points in the season, then we've got a game.

Alfie092

Park the bus, defend deep and hope Rashford can make miracles.

If we concede in the first 20 minutes it's over for us.

---------------------------------------------------De Gea-----------------------------------------------------
    Wan Bissaka----------------------Varane--------Lindelof---------------------------------Shaw
    -----------------------------------------Casemiro------Fred----------------------------------------------
    Bruno-------------------------------------------Eriksen------------------------------------------Sancho
    ----------------------------------------------------Rashford----------------------------------------------------
    Literally the team I want us to go with. Sancho and Bruno can swap wings if and when required. While Bruno can also tuck inside to help compact the midfield and give us more options centrally. Then like you said, we need Rashford of the start of the year to turn up in this game if we are to have any chance of winning.

Keeping the like of Martial, Garnacho and potentially even Antony (who may be back for the final) on the bench gives us some decent attacking options to bring on.

As mentioned, IF Antony is fit, then I may look to start him over Sancho due to Antony's tenacity and better defensive work-rate.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
    The only one of those four United players who fits what Guardiola wants from his teams is Shaw.

Varane is not as comfortable on the ball as either Stones or Dias.
    Rashford's technique is erratic, he's direct and not much of a passer. I don't think he's a worse player than Grealish in all circumstances but Grealish definitely fits Guardiola's City better.
    Yeah it's also dependent on the teammates you have. Casemiro and Rodri are both world class, the 2 best on the world in their position. Rashford vs Grealish is entirely dependent on team. Last season, Rashford would have been far more useful for them. Now they have Haaland, so they don't need that guy to make those runs on behind and they would rather use Grealish or Sancho than Rashford.

Ignoring styles, systems, coaching etc, individual player quality I have it as:
    • De Gea << Ederson
    • Wan Bissaka/dalot = Walker
    • Varane > Stones
    • Martinez = Dias, but Martinez is out
    • Shaw >> Ake
    • Casemiro = Rodri
    • Eriksen/Fred << Gundogan
    • Bruno < De Bruyne
    • Antony/Sancho << Mahrez
    • Rashford = Grealish
    • Martial <<< Haaland
    Realistically if Pep could hand pick from both, he'd pick Martinez and Shaw and move Dias to RCB, and then the rest he'd probably keep as is.

klsv

People keep saying 'strong at the back' and 'keep it tight' as if the absolute crux of this game isn't us losing midfield.

Our defence is proven; Rashford is proven; you'd surely back both when push comes to shove. Our midfield, however, we need to match Casemiro's bar and not leave him hanging.

Someone summon God Fred and that Bruno who has looked momentarily transcendental at points in the season, then we've got a game.
    Agreed! It's weird to suggest we should go with five at the back. I'm sure there have been matches this season where we changed to five at the back when defending a slim lead in the final minutes, but if we had any plans starting like that, I'm sure we had already experimented with it. Wrong time to start fiddling around with formations now.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
    Rashford is > Grealish, whereas Antony is < Mahrez, not <<
    I put 2 << for Antony based on now, not future. Think he has huge potential, and even though I don't find him particularly likeable as a player, think he has had a good 1st season when fit and can see him turning into a top player. But as of now, he's well behind Mahrez.

Rashford vs Grealish, it really is dependent on team needs. Grealish is elite at what he does. Rashford for United is >> than Grealish if he played for United, while Grealish alongside Haaland is >> than Rashford if he were to play for City alongside Haaland. Independent of that and just looking at them as individuals, I think they're both excellent players.

OrcaFat

I think this is playing right into City’s hands though. We aren’t going to play through City our best chance is on the break and in the wide areas on that big Wembley pitch

Playing Bruno and Sancho wide we’d be penned in with no out ball. Not to mention Rashford through the middle is more often than not shit in that position.
    That team is quite similar to the line up when we beat City at OT. Martial was CF and Rash LW. I agree we need pace in wide areas but I think we will play Case, Fred and Eriksen in CM if all fit and Bruno RW but will play a kind of inside right and the breaks will probably switch from right to left. Or something totally different might happen.

Raw

Garnacho - Rashford - Sancho front 3? Or will we try with Bruno on the right and Sancho on the left?

No I am not entertaining the possibility of starting Wout.

James35

Rashford Sancho and Bruno with Eriksen, Fred and Casemiro. Garnacho off the bench.

Wout better not get anywhere near the team the giant donkey.

Holocene

Garnacho - Rashford - Sancho front 3? Or will we try with Bruno on the right and Sancho on the left?

I'd prefer Garnacho off the bench. Walker will contain him easily from the start.

CM

That's irritating. I've got a bad feeling that might mean Weghorst starts

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
    Honestly I'm glad he's injured because he offers very little nowadays. Rashford down the middle makes more sense for counter attacking anyway.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?

I think Antony is in with a chance of playing. I'm sure ETH said he was a possibility the other day.

Garnacho could still be a impact sub if Antony is back

RoyH1

Martial injured...again.
    Some bodies are just not made for sustained physical activity at the elite level.

Lee565

If wout starts, I'll be honest I won't watch as there will be only one outcome and the football will be awful to watch. I would like to think ten hag has gotten over his man crush for wout

Todd

De Gea

Shaw
    Lindelof
    Varane
    AWB

Casemiro
    Eriksen

Garnacho
    Bruno
    Sancho

Rashford

Give it our best. Playing with house money in this one.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
    If wout starts, I'll be honest I won't watch as there will be only one outcome and the football will be awful to watch. I would like to think ten hag has gotten over his man crush for wout

:lol: Get a grip lad

Cathy Ferguson

Bruno as a false no 9 and McTominay or Fred to add some bite in midfield is our best chance.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
    Avram won't get to see his favourite player in what will hopefully be his last game as owner. Good.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

5.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 233 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw