Kick-off
Sat, 3 June 2023 @ 3:00pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Edwards6

Looks like Rashford playing through the middle then, at least he'll have a better chance getting behind their CB's than Kyle Walker on the wing

paulscholes18

Looks like Rashford playing through the middle then, at least he'll have a better chance getting behind their CB's than Kyle Walker on the wing
    A bit annoying though, hoping for a miracle but guessing Antony has about as much chance as starting the final as I do.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
    Supports
    4-4-2 classic
    Pep: "Some players are exhausted"
    aka
    "Its hard being ManCity"
    Which is a big lie.

simonhch

Horrible boss
    Supports
    Urban Combat Preparedness
    DDG

AWB — Varane — Lindelof — Shaw

Casemiro — Fred

Fernandes — Eriksen — Garnacho

Rashford​

That’d be my choice.

Mr Smith

Call me crazy, but with Martial injured, I would genuinely start Weghorst and purely make him stick to Rodri for 90 minutes. Then play Rashford as basically a wide forward looking to run in behind with minimal defensive responsibility, and pack the midfield.

simonhch

Horrible boss
    Supports
    Urban Combat Preparedness
    Call me crazy, but with Martial injured, I would genuinely start Weghorst and purely make him stick to Rodri for 90 minutes. Then play Rashford as basically a wide forward looking to run in behind with minimal defensive responsibility, and pack the midfield.
    You’re crazy.

But in all seriousness, you’re Ji Sung Park’ing him. There’s precedent.

Edwards6

A bit annoying though, hoping for a miracle but guessing Antony has about as much chance as starting the final as I do.
    Yeah I can't see Antony being back, I think we'll go Bruno on the right then Fred in the middle

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
    Supports
    The only team that matters
    You’re crazy.

It makes a lot of sense, Weggy is useless at most things but pressing and being a general disruptive nuisance isn't one of them, the best way to beat City is to not let them get in a rhythm, they'll pass us to death if we allow that

InfiniteBoredom

It makes a lot of sense, Weggy is useless at most things but pressing and being a general disruptive nuisance isn't one of them, the best way to beat City is to not let them get in a rhythm, they'll pass us to death if we allow that
    It doesn’t. Weghorst was so good at pressing we shat the bed at OT when he came on at half time for Martial and only turned it around when the introduction of Garnacho + a fortuitous goal gave us some impetus.

He runs around a lot, but most of it is ineffective, and he can’t hold up for shit, playing him just mean we are playing one man down from minute 1. It will have to be Sancho-Rashford-Antony.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
    Supports
    It doesn’t. Weghorst was so good at pressing we shat the bed at OT when he came on at half time for Martial and only turned it around when the introduction of Garnacho + a fortuitous goal gave us some impetus.

He runs around a lot, but most of it is ineffective, and he can’t hold up for shit, playing him just mean we are playing one man down from minute 1. It will have to be Sancho-Rashford-Antony.
    I hope you're not talking about the OT game against City, I assume you are which would prove you weren't paying attention at that game

Dominos

Weghorst runs around and teams just pass around him with ease because he's so slow it takes him an age to actually get to the player he wants to pressure, he won't get near a team of City's quality on the ball.

The only reason we'd ever play Weghorst would be if we really thought it was vital that Rashford plays on the left.

But Rashford should start up front, he might get more joy staying away from Kyle Walker's pace at right back.

Mr Smith

You’re crazy.

That's my logic. We need to stop pretending Weghorst is a striker, and use him for what he's actually good at: running and pressing for 90 minutes.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
    Supports
    That's my logic. We need to stop pretending Weghorst is a striker, and use him for what he's actually good at: running and pressing for 90 minutes.
    I don't think anyone's pretending he's a striker but some will not give him any credit for anything, in fact he's been blamed just a few posts ago for events that happened in a game he was sat in the stand with his kids!

InfiniteBoredom

I hope you're not talking about the OT game against City, I assume you are which would prove you weren't paying attention at that game
    Yes, my bad, I mistook it with a home game he was terrible in (Barca) before being hooked that lead to us coming back.

The point remains, he shat the bed with his ‘pressing’ against all the technical teams we’ve played against, Barca, Arsenal away, Liverpool away, City will run rings around him. It’s a non-starter.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
    Bruno on the wing again i guess. I doubt that Erik start Garnacho on the left. With 3 attackers and Bruno on no10, Casemiro will be eaten alive.

Strelok

Martial injured again wth. Anyway if we have learned anything from this season just don't try to high press them with WW. Sit deep and fast counter with Garnacho Rashford Sancho then we might have a chance.

Hughes35

Hopefully no Martial is a blessing as Rashford could hurt them on the counter.

I think Anthony is a bigger miss. He'd have been key.

I'm hoping we see:

--------------------------------------------------------De Gea-------------------------------------------
    AWB--------------------------------Varane--------------------Lindelof-------------------------------Shaw
    ----------------------------------------Casemiro------------Fred-----------------------------------------
    Bruno---------------------------------------------Eriksen------------------------------------------Sancho
    -----------------------------------------------------Rashford---------------------------------------------

I'd expect Bruno, Rashford and Sancho to be quite fluid on their 3 positions.

Garnacho off the bench where he can cause real problems.

Can't they get some injuries for christ sake? I swear KDB and Haaland play every game 120 minutes
    There's a reason his nickname is Ped.

Doping controversies have followed him since his playing days, and the old Bayern club doctor publicly questioned how his players in Spain were coming back from injury so quickly.

tidraKS

Can we release Martial already? :D

It's set then, if we don't have anymore injuries, this will be the midfield and attack - Casemiro, Fred, Eriksen, Bruno, Sancho, Rashford.

Bristol_Red_87

Same structure as the home game against City.

Lindelof in for Malacia with Shaw to LB.
    Sancho in for Martial with Rashford up top.

We had 29% possession at home that day and fortuitously or not, found a way to win.

We are going to need everyone to have at least an 8/10 showing however!

Shimo

What's the news on City? Saw some random Daily Mail article that Dias, Grealish and KDB may be out. Not that whomever replaces them would be a big drop off.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
    Scout
    What's the news on City? Saw some random Daily Mail article that Dias, Grealish and KDB may be out. Not that whomever replaces them would be a big drop off.
    Yeah that's the narrative that is being pushed, but I think we all know they'll start on Saturday.

m1tch

With no Martial, predictably, I'd go for;

DDG
    AWB - Varane - Lindelof - Shaw
    Eriksen - Casemiro - Fred
    Sancho - Fernandes - Rashford

CantonaManc

See where they play, how they play, if they play..
    Supports
    ETH's tricky reds
    I have a good feeling about this game and I hope we beat them, I can't wait for Saturday! Result Prediction - 3-1 Manchester United :)

Have already booked a table in a pub with my friends to watch the match and if we can take the game and end their dream of a treble it will be a long night and I will enjoy it as much as possible.

This needs to be our starting 11:
    De Gea
    AWB Varane Shaw Malacia
    Case
    Bruno Eriksen
    Sancho Rashford Garnacho

Want to share with you a new video from JTG Production for the upcoming match. PS: Every clip he made give me goosebumps!

padzilla

Hipster
    I just hope we show up and it isn't a case of death by a thousand cuts. There needs to be a sense of urgency among the players rather than happy to keep the score down, another problem with adopting ultra defensive tactics is that once we go behind the game is more or less over.
    We need have the initiative instead.

CantonaManc

See where they play, how they play, if they play..
    Supports
    ETH's tricky reds
    I just hope we show up and it isn't a case of death by a thousand cuts. There needs to be a sense of urgency among the players rather than happy to keep the score down, another problem with adopting ultra defensive tactics is that once we go behind the game is more or less over.
    We need have the initiative instead.
    At first I wasn't confident that we would be able to take anything from the game and I was worried about us getting smashed, but after seeing ETH's speech and the motivation of our players for the game I think Pep will be in for surprise.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
    Scout
    Bruno Q&A:

How is the feeling in the camp going into this one?

We’re all looking forward to it. Any opportunity to play in a final for Manchester United is special, so we have to be ready. We know that the fans will be there supporting us and we want to do everything we can to make them happy.

What would it mean to lift the Emirates FA Cup?

It would mean a lot of course. At this club we always have to be reaching finals and trying to win trophies. We know that is the minimum at a club like this and for us as players. Everyone knows the FA Cup, how important it is in this country and in football, so for sure it will be a special day.

How much did you know about the FA Cup when you were younger?

A lot for sure, everyone knows the history of this competition and how important it is to England and around the world. It’s a famous trophy for everyone that I watched a lot when I was growing up. Everyone knows that I used to watch United when I was younger so I can remember many happy memories for these teams in this competition.

This one will be a big one for the fans…do you get a sense that this one feels different to other derbies?

Playing against Manchester City is always a big game. We all know the rivalry, we know what it means to us and what it means to our fans. We want to win every game that we play for this club because that is what it deserves. Of course it’s a final so we want to win even more and bring home the trophy.

It’s been a great Cup run, are you a player who watches the games back?

I watch them many times. I think it’s always good to see what you’ve done so well in the past. Obviously, I’m not looking only at the good things but also at the bad things to make yourself improve, to make yourself better. When you see that, you also want to see the things that you have done well as it makes you feel good, it makes you keep the positive energy on yourself, the belief on yourself and that’s a good thing.

How would you assess United’s season overall?

We’ve made good progress and have improved a lot together but at the same time we know there is still a long way to go before we reach the level that we want to achieve. We’ve played a lot of games, we’ve had some great moments and some difficult ones, too. For sure we have made a good start in what we want to do here but we can never settle and be satisfied until we are winning trophies consistently.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

5.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 233 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw