Manchester Derby or North West Derby?

RedPed

Whatabouter.
The last time I really enjoyed a United v Liverpool game was the last one that Slippy G played in. Usually they're tepid affairs, hyped up to the max but falling flat on the day.

However the Manchester derbies rarely fail to disappoint and have served up some corkers and cracking moments in recent times. The 5-0s, the sick swan, Owen's last minute winner, van Persie's late winner, the 3-2 comeback, Rooney's overhead kick, Tevez scoring against us etc. The atmosphere always seems to be more intense as well.

Personally I find the Manchester derbies more entertaining as a spectacle. What do other people think? What are your favourite moments from the derbies. Some of mine are:

1. Seeing Eric return from his ban to play in the derby against Liverpool.
2. Watching Slippy G get sent off in his last derby game.
3. The 3-2 comeback preventing City winning the league on our watch.
4. van Persie's free kick winner against City.
5. I was at the game when Owen scored the late, late winner against City so that game has special fondness for me.
6. Rooney's overhead kick (of course) against City!
7. Who can forget those fecking Suarez shirts?
8. Mascherano losing his shit after receiving a red.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
To be honest, I agree. The Utd vs Liverpool games may be more hyped but in terms of actual entertainment the Manchester derbies have been superior in recent times.

I sort of agree. The Manchester derby has been a better game of football over the last 10 or 15 years because it's been more competitive, with two top teams out to win trophies. Over that time period Liverpool were in the wilderness. In terms of how i feel about them though? Not even close. I'd take beating Liverpool over City every single time.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
The game I used to always circle on the calendar was against Arsenal. Keane vs Vieira was always something special. It's lost most of its importance now, but I still look forward to that game, especially because it's one we usually win (until recently). As for Liverpool or City, Liverpool will always take top billing. For years the only people who really cared about the Manchester derby were City supporters. If they managed to get a result against us in a season that was (for them) as good as winning a title. Of course I look forward to those games more now but the history between the two for a 45 year old like myself just isn't there yet like Liverpool and Arsenal...

Paul_Scholes18

When us and City fighted for the title there was some insane derby games. Our 3-2 winner against them with Persie scoring the winner was huge. That win gave us the space and momentum to win the title really.
Most of the others City sadly won around that time.

I liked our 4-2 win with LVG over them. It was probably our best game with him. We actually attacked and played some great football, but it didn't last for long. Young was insanly good in that game too. It was back to sideways passing after that sadly though.

norm87cro

The games against the Dippers are more often ugly than entertaining but its still the biggest fixture in England and despite the latest few years City will never come close

el3mel

I actually like neither of them and there have been many Manchester Derbies which were either boring and we were just slaughtered.

But for that comparison alone then we had more fun games against City last few years than the majority of our games vs Pool, which usually don't have much football played in them. I only remember Juanfield as a fun game, rest are usually crap affairs even when we won.

shaky

Liverpool games are more stressful than City games. More painful to lose, but also more satisfying to win. This probably make City games easier to enjoy. I could even enjoy a good performance without a good result against City but certainly not against Liverpool.

Judas

Open to offers
The games against Liverpool mean more emotionally, but the games against City have provided more entertainment from a football perspective.

Basa1987

When us and City fighted for the title there was some insane derby games. Our 3-2 winner against them with Persie scoring the winner was huge. That win gave us the space and momentum to win the title really.
Most of the others City sadly won around that time.

I liked our 4-2 win with LVG over them. It was probably our best game with him. We actually attacked and played some great football, but it didn't last for long. Young was insanly good in that game too. It was back to sideways passing after that sadly though.
Regarding the bolded part, I think Carrick had a huge role to play in that brief sequence of good games.

If I recall correctly, Carrick came off injured after 80 minutes in the City game and our game quickly went to crap. We tried Herrera in the deep role in the next game against Chelsea and I recall Hazard having a field day even though we were decently competitive.

MrVolley

We lost 6-1 to Man City.
That was embarrassing enough but couldn't bear to lose 6-1 to Liverpool!