Manchester United ‘keeping tabs’ on 18-year-old Royal Antwerp midfielder Arthur Vermeeren

Red_toad

Sparky Rhiwabon

Our special relationship with Antwerp could pay off here. Is Ronnie Wallwork still there?

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Our special relationship with Antwerp could pay off here. Is Ronnie Wallwork still there?
I believe he was banned from Belgian football for life after attacking a referee and has recently avoided jail for battering a man who took the piss out of his trainers, so probably not.

Raven

Arthur Vermeeren
Date of birth; 7 February 2005 (age 18)
Current Team; Royal Antwerp
Place of birth; Lier, Belgium
Height; 1.76 m (5 ft 9 in)

Position; Midfielder​

Seems a very composed holding midfielder, obviously if we go after him it'd be to understudy Casemiro for a few years.

https://www.caughtoffside.com/2023/...wcastle-monitoring-20m-rated-belgian-prodigy/
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/21351213/man-utd-transfer-news-vermeeren/

Looks really good in that video.

klayton88

Let's all go to Tesco where Ronnie buys his best clothes na na na na

Acole9

Outstanding
I believe he was banned from Belgian football for life after attacking a referee and has recently avoided jail for battering a man who took the piss out of his trainers, so probably not.

What?! :lol:

Scholsey2004

Looks quite similar to Carrick. Would be a good, and presumably not too expensive signing.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
The Frenkie comparison is odd, to be honest. While technically competent, Vermeeren does not look like him, in terms of evasiveness and ball-carrying ability to progress the ball further up the pitch (or overall aesthetic appeal). More like his partner in crime at Ajax, Lasse Schöne (or Kimmich if things go exceedingly well, and Vermeeren develops into an elite holding or central midfielder (as a pivot) with really good organizational and positional capabilities). Speaking of, we have a player with similar style and functionality coming through the ranks: Finley McAllister (currently playing in the European Under-17 Finals in Hungary; hope he makes it as he's tactically astute, has shown a bit of versatility and seems a ginormous fan of the club). :)

SparkedIntoLife

He’s meant to be very good but raw. I think there’s some areas where this hidden gem type, young apprentice type signing makes sense. However, my feeling is Vermeeren is a couple of years too young for us and is playing regular football now which is invaluable. From what I’ve seen on YouTube, he might find the Prem a little too much atm. I may be very wrong.

AneRu

He’s meant to be very good but raw. I think there’s some areas where this hidden gem type, young apprentice type signing makes sense. However, my feeling is Vermeeren is a couple of years too young for us and is playing regular football now which is invaluable. From what I’ve seen on YouTube, he might find the Prem a little too much atm. I may be very wrong.
If the price is reasonable then he is the perfect player for what we need and we should buy him. Why I say so, we need a back up for Casemiro who will come in and learn from him and if he has the right physicality then he will be ready to contribute in the second half of the season, we were playing 20 year old Da Silva twins back in the day, it's doable.

For me, taking a punt like this is preferable to dropping 100m on Rice and then have to shoehorn him and Casemiro into the first eleven. A young player to come in as back up but with enough talent to seamlessly replace Casemiro in a couple of seasons is exactly what we need this summer.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

"Het Nieuwsblad are reporting that Barcelona have joined Manchester United in wanting to sign Antwerp’s talented teenage midfielder Arthur Vermeeren. The Catalan giants have sent scouts to watch Vermeeren this season, with the youngster having had a real breakout season for the Great Old."

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He looks a very good player for the deeper midfield role. I've only watched him in highlights but his positioning and technical ability look absolutely on point for a 18 year old imo. United seem to be genuinely interested with Roland Janssen (United's scout in Belgium) said to be sold on the player according to the Antwerp correspondent working for Nieuwsblad in Belgium. The Spanish media are reporting Barca's interest but they seem to be of the belief that he's Premier League bound with United and Newcastle interested.

https://sportwitness.co.uk/future-p...ish-list-already-made-contact-with-entourage/

jamesjimmybyrondean

Can't wait in 4 years when he becomes a star and people say our scouts are shit for not discovering these players earlier

acolyte

All those years of loaning them the various Chadwicks and Campbells and Cathcarts has surely built up enough goodwill to get this over the line.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Will be bumped in 4 years when he’s a Ballon D’or winner at Newcastle

onemanarmy

Not sure he'll move this summer, I would advice him not to.
Antwerp is 1 game away from becoming champions and playing CL next season. He plays every game and the experience would be invaluable to him.

Brilliant young player. Biggest midfield talent in Belgium since De Bruyne, and probably Lavia.

What am I saying? Get both Lavia and Vermeeren, Belgian midfield sorted for 15 years.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
We could sign him now and loan him back there for a season?

AneRu

We could sign him now and loan him back there for a season?
Why loan him when we need him here? Have people seriously forgotten the Jan-March mad fixture rash already? Casemiro missed games due to suspension what if he gets injured who do we play there? I'd say sign him, blood him in slowly in Carabao Cup, dead rubber CL games and in PL games we are comfortably leading then hopefully he is ready to play a role in the second half.

In as much as we need an 8 we also need a back up 6 and our season is vulnerable to any loss of Casemiro for a sustained period.