Manchester United 2-2 Liverpool: the Class of 92, Spice Boys and Cantona’s return

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Manchester United 2-2 Liverpool: the Class of 92, Spice Boys and Cantona’s return

'There are two sides to every glory. For every winner there must be at least one loser and the contrast between the two has rarely been as neat as with Manchester United’s Class of 92 and Liverpool’s Spice Boys. They were so different as to make chalk and cheese seem like the perfect sandwich filling. One is a brand, the other a cautionary tale. One maximised their talent; the other pissed their talent up the wall and wore white suits at Wembley. One chose success, the other excess. One claimed a load of leagues and cups, the other collected female trophies. If you count Premier League medals won by the two sets of players, the final score was Manchester United 50-0 Liverpool.

It’s sometimes forgotten that the nickname was not given to the team until long after the white suits. The Spice Girls emerged in the summer of 1996, and it was not until March 1997 that the Liverpool team were first called the Spice Boys. It was almost a posthumous sobriquet. “We all hated the tag but the truth always hurts, doesn’t it?” says Scales. “I know I could have done more to avoid it. All the boys could have...."'

More:

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...liverpool-class-of-92-spice-boys-eric-cantona

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Remains a personal favorite of mine, this article. One quote I still go back to:

Neutrals said the 1996 Cup final was a bore,” sniffed Keane in his first autobiography. “Not if you were playing. It was grim all right, demanding every ounce of concentration, every last grasp of breath. My job was to anchor midfield, to deny Liverpool time and space, to break up their rhythm, basically to destroy any notions they might have had about passing us to defeat. There’s a lot of ground to cover at Wembley, but I covered it, got my tackles in, delivered the message: this is going to be hard work, boys, fecking hard work. Along with Nicky Butt I won the midfield battle. Nicky was a tough lad and an ideal partner for this kind of operation.”
Someone in another thread posted another article about the title run-in between United and Keegan's Liverpool. I guess what I'm asking for is more articles like these, because I have all this time on my hands

Last edited:

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Bloody hell - it's 20,000 words long(!)
*sobs a lot*

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
The time when Mr. Big-time Charlie against the Spice Boyz.