Manchester United 2:2 Steven Gerrard's Villa (Sat 23rd July, 10:45 UK time)

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Relax guys, it's preseason ffs.

Just imagine for today's starting 11. Martinez for Lindelof, FDJ for Fred, Eriksen for Bruno. It will looks very different.
Fernandes is as good as if not better than Eriksen and the de Jong deal hasn't gone anywhere in weeks. Pre-season is important despite everyone saying it isn't. Thankfully ten Hag is taking that performance seriously.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Aston Villa had enough chances in second half to have 3 or 4 goals too. And beside the first goal, at least 2 chances were created when our first string still on the pitch.

EtH postmatch does sound like he acknowledged the underwhelming performance in the second half (control of the game part).

The biggest issue is well known personnel flaw from different players getting exposed. Something that's beyond coaching domain to fix it.

Edit:

Perfectionist like EtH shouldn't be all positive vibe after that second half performance. Why would we fans?
Because as a fan I can see the clear improvements from last season in the patterns of play and levels of effort. I also understand that Rome was not built in a day.

I am pleased the manager expects more from them and isn't happy to accept any drop off in levels in the 90 minutes, but I find it hard to understand why fans would get upset because there was a 15 minute lull in the play before ten subs were made, and this was the only example of the first choice players not being really good across 4 matches.

lex talionis

You guys realise this is pre-season right? You’d think we lost a cup final or something. The conditions were dreadful the pitch horrible. Yet so many out in force to complain first
Well put, BaguetteBoy. Crap conditions in Perth that you’ll never see again on a PL pitch.

End of the tour. Nothing to panic over.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Actually I've not seen it mentioned but, for the first time in many years, the reason we are performing badly at times is a direct result of individual mistakes as opposed to tactics or a manager who doesn't seem bothered

These are mistakes which can instantly be fixed and nothing at all to worry about.

TheReligion

Abusive
Fernandes is as good as if not better than Eriksen and the de Jong deal hasn't gone anywhere in weeks. Pre-season is important despite everyone saying it isn't. Thankfully ten Hag is taking that performance seriously.
It’s important for the players and manager but shouldn’t be a big deal for the fans.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
What changed the game today was their introduction of their quick wingers. They suddenly had an outlet and a way to hurt us. We look susceptible to balls over our high line and counters.

Villa were rubbish first half, we played ok first half. They sat back, we didn't create loads of openings but a few chances. Our inability to break the lines even in the first half took me back to LVG with the recycling the ball at the back.

Don't put it on ETH but the players. It's nothing we didn't know already, he just needs to witness it for himself for a year. Highly Eriksen and Martinez help us progress the ball better.

MalaysianRed7

Why is everyone having a meltdown? We had an excellent first half considering the circumstances. Started a bit slow in the second, but Villa only scored from a half good finish, half lazy goalkeeping. I won’t take much from the rest of the game, we know that our youngsters either have a lot to learn or aren’t good enough, and we would have won either way without De Gea’s error.

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
Its good to get a kick up the hole in a friendly, will bring a few people back down to earth.

GlasgowCeltic

Why is everyone having a meltdown? We had an excellent first half considering the circumstances. Started a bit slow in the second, but Villa only scored from a half good finish, half lazy goalkeeping. I won’t take much from the rest of the game, we know that our youngsters either have a lot to learn or aren’t good enough, and we would have won either way without De Gea’s error.
agree, lack of depth everywhere except CB/LB looking kinda scary though

Trequarista10

Relax guys, it's preseason ffs.

Just imagine for today's starting 11. Martinez for Lindelof, FDJ for Fred, Eriksen for Bruno. It will looks very different.
Martinez for Lindelof FDJ for Fred, Eriksen or Fred for DVB, and it's half decent. Add a RW and CF for same competition/variation and its nearly there.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
2 weeks away from the PL starting, it was the reality check that was needed.
reality check ?

I think everyone already knew most of our players were not upto the standards.

The question was how many turds could ten hag polish with his coaching and system.

IrishRedDevil

reality check ?

I think everyone already knew most of our players were not upto the standards.

The question was how many turds could ten hag polish with his coaching and system.
Reality check for those getting giddy. An insight into what is expected the season ahead. This team is aiming for top 4. Some people have been getting carried away.

tjb

Martinez for Lindelof FDJ for Fred, Eriksen or Fred for DVB, and it's half decent. Add a RW and CF for same competition/variation and its nearly there.
Our fans are also forgetting that those 3 coming in also means the three they will be replacing will be part of our depth.
For me:
1. We should be on the lookout for another attacker that can play across the frontline ( to supplement our current front 3)
2. Any deal for Ronaldo should be a swap deal at this point

There were a lot of good things from todays game:

1. Dalot has significantly improved as a full back
2. Bruno showed a ball winning side that we hadn't seen prior, meaning that a 433 can clearly work
3. Maguire is a decent option
4. Our front 3 are humming
5. Martial's hold up play will work with ETH's system

We were also able to identify that Lindelof should be our 5th choice CB.
Fred can be a decent back up DM, but we actually need to sign a holding midfielder to start. This is good because it means that he can play a lot of games both in a holding role or as one of the 2 8's when needed, a very solid squad option imo.
DVB isn't a good option, under any manager. Should only every start when our numbers are truly depleted. Mctominay should be ahead of him. (if we can, our goal in January should be to sign a cheap midfielder or impove upon our youngsters for the 5th midfield role). Maybe Garner should not go on loan.
Zidane Iqbal is an option in attack
Elanga should not be a squad option this season

On a personal note, I also saw in this game, despite performing decently, that Shaw can be too static on the ball for a full back at times. I would start Malacia already.

Member 101269

This game illustrated a lack of strength in depth, the kids aren't ready. If we lose a couple of first team players, we're in trouble.

cabbs1989

This game illustrated a lack of strength in depth, the kids aren't ready. If we lose a couple of first team players, we're in trouble.
We have eriksen Martinez, varane mctominay although he will start) Ronaldo probably, de Jong hopefully, maybe antony to!

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We will be fine. Eriksen and Martinez are waiting, De Jong or 1 (maybe 2) alternatives are more than likely too.

Infra-red

Its good to get a kick up the hole in a friendly, will bring a few people back down to earth.
Indeed. We will be a work in progress this season - draws in games against the likes of Villa will be commonplace for United and the other teams battling for 4th place.

People need to have reasonable expectations while the club is in this transition.

Infra-red

It is, but you have to thin the squad down to rebuild it.

It was inevitable that we would be pretty light next season, with so many players departing this summer. Arsenal have been going through a similar process in the last couple of seasons and look like they are starting to emerge stronger at the other side. United need to do the same. It will be a long haul, but Ten Hag looks to me like the right guy for the job.

Trequarista10

Our fans are also forgetting that those 3 coming in also means the three they will be replacing will be part of our depth.
For me:
1. We should be on the lookout for another attacker that can play across the frontline ( to supplement our current front 3)
2. Any deal for Ronaldo should be a swap deal at this point

There were a lot of good things from todays game:

1. Dalot has significantly improved as a full back
2. Bruno showed a ball winning side that we hadn't seen prior, meaning that a 433 can clearly work
3. Maguire is a decent option
4. Our front 3 are humming
5. Martial's hold up play will work with ETH's system

We were also able to identify that Lindelof should be our 5th choice CB.
Fred can be a decent back up DM, but we actually need to sign a holding midfielder to start. This is good because it means that he can play a lot of games both in a holding role or as one of the 2 8's when needed, a very solid squad option imo.
DVB isn't a good option, under any manager. Should only every start when our numbers are truly depleted. Mctominay should be ahead of him. (if we can, our goal in January should be to sign a cheap midfielder or impove upon our youngsters for the 5th midfield role). Maybe Garner should not go on loan.
Zidane Iqbal is an option in attack
Elanga should not be a squad option this season

On a personal note, I also saw in this game, despite performing decently, that Shaw can be too static on the ball for a full back at times. I would start Malacia already.
Agree with all of that. Not 100% convinced with Dalot but happy enough for him to be given a season as first choice RB and try to establish himself, and then look to replace AWB with a better RB next summer (this summer would have been ideal but other priorities).

I also hope we give our youth and fringe players plenty of playing time in the Europa and domestic cups. Keep the first team fresh for the league, secure top 4, and then towards the run in assess whether to play the first teamers if we're in any later stages of cup competitions.

Member 101269

We have eriksen Martinez, varane mctominay although he will start) Ronaldo probably, de Jong hopefully, maybe antony to!
let’s ignore those we haven’t signed it’s speculation. We have slot of games I’m not convinced. The first team breadth and depth has had a really game

MalaysianRed7

I agree as well. Was just making the point somewhere else that especially if Ronaldo leaves, our season could be horribly derailed should we get an injury to one of the front 3. It even looks ominous in the goalkeeping department - I don’t think it’s reactionary to say that we have one goalkeeper who’s no more than a brilliant shot stopper (poor today on the first goal though) and nothing more, and another who was signed on a free from Villa’s bench after an ACL injury at the age of 35. Less said about AWB even as backup RB the better.

Nevertheless, everything that Ten Hag could visibly do, he’s done flawlessly so far. How can one not be optimistic having seen some of the goals we’ve scored in all 4 games?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
The score doesn't concern me. Pre-season is all about fitness and pattern of play. And i'm very pleased to see them in this game.

Just feel it's gonna be a long worrying season with:
- Fred in that DM position. He's easily brushed off, his ball distribution, and positioning of not offering option as outlet from CBs are some concerns.
- The bench options look so average. The first XI quality are not good enough to cover for average players in one or two positions (especially in attack) when needed.

sepulturite

Jesus we really have some sensitive sausages as fans. How do most of ye get through your lives on a daily basis if this is the kind of meltdown ye have over a result in a pre season game?

Will Singh

Yes I had a meltdown but for two reasons that have nothing to do with United’s performance and they are Slippy G smiling when they equalised, Ashley Young’s challenge on I think it was Hunnibal although it was not a foul just went in hard and being an ex red and it’s a “friendly” pissed me right off.

On the game the pitch was a disgrace, weather was bad but I think we did ok first half didn’t create as many chances as we should considering Villa sat back. 2nd half they bought on a fast winger and he gave us nightmares but Villa had 3/4 chances so a draw is a good result overall. Manager knows what he’s doing which makes a change. Players are well off par and it’s obvious now that we are playing as a unit and individual mistakes are more obvious rather then a whole host of errors like under the previous “manager”.

Looking forward to the start of the PL….!

Flying_Heckfish

Don't go in too hard on the youth.

We've got loads of holes in our first team, and a decent set of youth prospects. It's obvious to see how they do, then decide on transfers.

I am quite excited by this group TBH, because the opportunity is there for them to take the step up - if they can seize it.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Well put, BaguetteBoy. Crap conditions in Perth that you’ll never see again on a PL pitch.

End of the tour. Nothing to panic over.
We could have been 4 or 5 nil up at half time. But we do need better squad depth, that is for sure.

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
People say our kids aren't ready, but it's not like he is going to throw them all on in one go. He will leak them in (Savage, Garner or Iqbal) one at a time where they will be bolstered and helped by senior players. The addition of Martinez and Eriksen will help. I am not thinking we are going to win the PL after a couple of wins on tour. I'm not thinking we will get relegated after a draw on a Hackney Marshes pitch. But we are heading in the right direction. And we have conceded two headed goals without Maguire on the pitch. Just saying.

Highfather_24

Yeah to see a 37yr old doing a "hard man" act to a 19yr was cringe. Wish Hannibal told Young to go feck himself.

Hughie77

The 2nd 45 mins was not very good the whole game was spoilt through the bad weather and awful pitch which to be fair got a lot worse. Villa played very direct in the 2nd half which favoured conditions, UTD to there downfall kept playing the ball on the ground as much as they could. Then 10 changes at about 60 mins makes it what it was . You could see a set piece doing the job . A lot of plusses to look at was Martial hus running off the ball where has that been with him , Sancho Rashford both direct running and Shaw again Bruno was everywhere for the 1st 40. Overall it was a good tough game needed.