Manchester United 2019 review.

meamth

2019 is ending soon, let's hear your opinion on our club as a whole. Here's mine:

57 games competitive games in whole competition and our record as of now is 29 games won, 13 games drawn, and 15 games lost. That's left us with the win percentage of 50.8%.

The highs:
  1. Happiness, for a while since Sir Alex retired, I've seen unity in the current squad. Finally we see the boys enjoying their football again. Martial smiling, Rashford posting regularly, Pogba posting about United results.. supporting each other! You get what i mean. Generally fans are happy to see this team, not to say negativity is gone towards the club, but we can see more fans invested to this team rather than Mourinho's.

2. Progress, I think the backbone of this team is shaping up well to be a quality team. Now we have the backbone of De Gea, Maguire, AWB, McT, Fred, Martial and Rashford; which is fairly young! They have their ups and downs this season, but the potential for me, is immense. Can't wait to see them grow together and becoming a top quality side.

3. Youth, Since the start of the season Ole has given many youngsters their debut and playing them regularly. The rise of Greenwood, Williams and McT is a joy for me to watch. Since Alex retired, this is the first time I'm excited about the youngsters coming through and cannot wait to see more of them next year.

4. Improvement, Since the start of the year we have seen the improvements in the players we thought could never be saved. The improved form of Rashford, Mctominay, Fred and Perreira has convinced us that we have a bright future ahead. Not only that, the way we play has becoming more entertaining than Mourinho days, we have becoming more of a counter attacking side and some of the goals I'm sure had us entertained.

Apart from on the pitch side of things, we seems to have a new way of finding and signing players, this seems premature, but the signs are looking good if we take into consideration with the signings we have made. Plus, we have gotten rid of the deadwoods, albeit not all of them yet.

5. Big Performances, Never had that confident feeling before facing the elite teams since Ole took charge. There were a couple of big results to remember like PSG away, City, Liverpool and Tottenham.
The lows:
  1. Ole out brigade, Their existence since we had a string of losses towards the end of 18/19 season was a low for me. Giving opinions about why someone isn't fit for the club is fine, but not until insults are thrown here in the forum. Degrading someone just because he had failures in the past and ignoring the progress we made seems like a cheap move for me.

2. Inconsistencies and false dawns, I would be lying if I said I never felt enraged about the results we had this year. We seems to always fail putting some consistencies after a convincing performances, particularly against the lesser sides. I hope this will improve in the near future, maybe next season.
Overall, I'm happy with the way we are going, things are getting better for us and I will look forward to next year with optimism. We are Manchester United, hated, adored, never ignored!

What is your thoughts about Manchester United in 2019?

SteveW

2019 is ending soon, let's hear your opinion on our club as a whole. Here's mine:

57 games competitive games in whole competition and our record as of now is 29 games won, 13 games drawn, and 15 games lost. That's left us with the win percentage of 50.8%.

The highs:
  1. Happiness, for a while since Sir Alex retired, I've seen unity in the current squad. Finally we see the boys enjoying their football again. Martial smiling, Rashford posting regularly, Pogba posting about United results.. supporting each other! You get what i mean. Generally fans are happy to see this team, not to say negativity is gone towards the club, but we can see more fans invested to this team rather than Mourinho's.

2. Progress, I think the backbone of this team is shaping up well to be a quality team. Now we have the backbone of De Gea, Maguire, AWB, McT, Fred, Martial and Rashford; which is fairly young! They have their ups and downs this season, but the potential for me, is immense. Can't wait to see them grow together and becoming a top quality side.

3. Youth, Since the start of the season Ole has given many youngsters their debut and playing them regularly. The rise of Greenwood, Williams and McT is a joy for me to watch. Since Alex retired, this is the first time I'm excited about the youngsters coming through and cannot wait to see more of them next year.

4. Improvement, Since the start of the year we have seen the improvements in the players we thought could never be saved. The improved form of Rashford, Mctominay, Fred and Perreira has convinced us that we have a bright future ahead. Not only that, the way we play has becoming more entertaining than Mourinho days, we have becoming more of a counter attacking side and some of the goals I'm sure had us entertained.

Apart from on the pitch side of things, we seems to have a new way of finding and signing players, this seems premature, but the signs are looking good if we take into consideration with the signings we have made. Plus, we have gotten rid of the deadwoods, albeit not all of them yet.

5. Big Performances, Never had that confident feeling before facing the elite teams since Ole took charge. There were a couple of big results to remember like PSG away, City, Liverpool and Tottenham.
The lows:
  1. Ole out brigade, Their existence since we had a string of losses towards the end of 18/19 season was a low for me. Giving opinions about why someone isn't fit for the club is fine, but not until insults are thrown here in the forum. Degrading someone just because he had failures in the past and ignoring the progress we made seems like a cheap move for me.

2. Inconsistencies and false dawns, I would be lying if I said I never felt enraged about the results we had this year. We seems to always fail putting some consistencies after a convincing performances, particularly against the lesser sides. I hope this will improve in the near future, maybe next season.
Overall, I'm happy with the way we are going, things are getting better for us and I will look forward to next year with optimism. We are Manchester United, hated, adored, never ignored!

Good assessment.

LInkash

The highs have been incredibly high, while the lows have just been meh so overall, it has been a good year. I'm slightly optimistic but still worried at the same time, as a lot of us are I imagine. Could be fine margins between failure and success, just like Fergie was allegedly a Mark Robins goal away from being sacked.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
2019 has seen 5 highs and 2 lows, one of the latter being the fans behaviour? Yeah, right.

Back in the real world, 2019 has been another disappointing year for the football club. We've finished outside the top 4 and failed in meeting our minimum expectations in 18/19 and seem well positioned repeat that achievement.

The highs:
  1. Strong peformances against the better teams. They've played into our counter attacking hands to an extent. But we deserve credit for making a habit of beating the better teams.
  2. Like LVG, we've been giving youth a chance which I am in favour of.
  3. Our signings this summer were solid despite being unspectacular. Daniel James has been a good addition. And AWB has become a fan favourite.
The lows:
  1. As mentioned, missing out CL football yet again.
  2. Our peformances this calendar year which have simply not been good enough. We aren't making the progress we need to, to become a proper modern football team. The focus on quality in possession and retaining the ball and real tactical excellence isn't apparent.
  3. Our signings this past summer were intended to fix the defence on which we spent an enormous amount of money. And yet, we've been A) leaking goals consistently and B) seeing sod all from our defence from an attacking /creative perspective.
  4. Off the pace in the top four race once again.
  5. Hiring Ole as permanant manager. He seems a really nice fellow and shared some beliefs with SAF but don't think he's shown anything to suggest that he's the right man for the job.
All in all, it's about the football. Culture, youth, values, good old days, fast attacking etc is all well and good but I don't simply don't see the imprint of a top football manager on this team. Because sadly we don't seem to have hired one. There have been some decent moments here and there but a definitely another low year in this post SAF phase for the club.

amolbhatia50k

The highs have been incredibly high, while the lows have just been meh so overall, it has been a good year. I'm slightly optimistic but still worried at the same time, as a lot of us are I imagine. Could be fine margins between failure and success, just like Fergie was allegedly a Mark Robins goal away from being sacked.
Really? It's been a good year? What has Manchester United achieved in 2019? I'd have thought a good year would have involved some fantastic free flowing exciting football or maybe trophies.

Interested to know what the 'incredible' highs were?

If some people believe we've made true progress then they're entitled to. But I don't see how it's been a strong year for the football club unless our standards have been set sutpemely low now.

amolbhatia50k

+Add Martial and Rashfords form this season as a positive to my post above.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
The biggest positive of 2019 for me has been that we finally started to get rid of the deadwood and that we didn't sign anyone who is looking for their last big paycheck, it took several years but it finally looks like someone inside the club noticed that it wasn't a very successful way to go. This left the squad pretty thin though but looking back I see it as a big win anyway and hopefully it will continue in 2020 albeit with more fresh faces coming in.

When it comes to the things happening on the pitch then aside from our counter attacks which are absolutely lethal I honestly don't see much progress at all aside from a few players on an individual level. For the team as a whole it's the usual ups and downs that we're all too familiar with (and tired of) and a middle ground that is still far from good enough. Watching the games and wanting whichever bottom 10 team we're playing to go on the attack so that we can hopefully go on the counter isn't really something I want to continue doing.

Overall it's been the same old results and the same old doubts about the manager but at least this time we've got some buzz words like potential and youth to cling on to so that's nice for a change. Hopefully this potential will make us improve quite a bit in 2020 because faffing about in 4th-10th place and hoping for an easy draw in the EL isn't all it's cracked up to be.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Highs
1. Some incredible and unexpected results. Against Paris, City etc.
2. Promotion and initial success of youth. This was half borne by necessity too.
3. Fred. I had written that guy off as worse than Kleberson. He is reborn and I am amazed.

Lows
1. A new breed of supporters who diss their fellow supporters by calling them "Ole-out Brigade". For these people blindly supporting the manager is much more important than growth of the club.
2. Form of DDG. That man seems mediocre now, which is very sad to see.
3. Regression of Lindelof and Maguire being a very average performer. I was most excited about this pairing at the start of the season. Very disappointed now.
4. The manager. His inability to devise winning ways even after a year in charge. His persistence with Lingard. His reluctance to start Gomes. The fact that most probably we will end outside CL places again this season.

Welcome 2020...onwards and upwards i hope!!!

432JuanMata

5 highs and 2 lows wow fancy really have lowered their expectations because this year has been shit at best. We haven’t progressed as at the start of 2019 we were going on like 9 wins out of 10 and since then it’s been inconsistent. No top 4 no trophies and barely winning back to back games this has been a poor year

Woeisme

I can appreciate that supporters want to be positive and look to the New year optimistically, but threads like this irk me.
The lowering of our expectations /standards is disappointing. No club has a god given right to be successful, but when you are one of the biggest clubs in the world, with the resources, infrastructures, history, support, etc. that we have, then there should be an expectation that we would be better than what we are.
When a supporter of this club posts something like
Never had that confident feeling before facing the elite teams since Ole took charge. There were a couple of big results to remember like PSG away, City, Liverpool and Tottenham.
My stomach turns.. A couple of results? Elite teams? Never had that confident feeling before? This may be what we are, but if we view it as a positive or even as acceptable, it will make recovering that much harder.

Every supporter at this club knew all through last season that our midfield was non existent. There are multiple threads all over the CAF about it. We knew that we had to address this or we would not be competitive. We didn't. Instead we got worse in this area with the loss of Hereara. Surprise Surprise, we are not competitive. Lingard is our creative midfileder. But the thing is, we were asked to accept that the reason that the biggest club in the world did not address this glaring deficiency, was that (1) There were no players in the world that were suitable signing to improve this position. (2)That we were addressing other areas of the squad (as if we couldn't address more than one area) (3) That our manager was happy with the players that he had (Either that's BS, or our manager is clueless,, you decide)
We now face into another transfer window. Our team is struggling in the league, fluctuating between 8th and 5th position. We have no ability to create chances against teams that don't attack us. Jlings is playing most weeks. McTominay is now injured (He's an average player anyway). Our chance of scraping a fourth place finish hinges on us improving in this area. Do you think we will? Or will we be asked to accept that (1) January is not the time to make signings. (2) We looked at a number of options but decided not to proceed. (3) Our management is happy with our current options in this position and will assess this again in the summer. (When we will offer potential new signings the carrot of the Europa football AGAIN)

It's difficult for me to look at 2019 positively, when we are miles behind where we could have been. Any one who tells me that the process takes time and that we have to be patient, can go and do one. Yes you have to do things the right way, but go and do it. It does not take 18months to realise that we don't have a midfield, identify who we need and get them in.

For me, the absolute worst thing about 2019 has been the gradual dumbing down of our expectations. The acceptance of the line that the process will be slow. The indifference to the 30 pt chasm between us and a title.The optimism garnered at the start of January 2020 by ONLY being 4 pts off of 4th place.

Rant over. Happy New year. Be as positive as you can be, but never accept that it is OK for this club not to be even remotely competitive.

Crashoutcassius

The highs:

The lows:

Agree with most of what you say. The negativity talking to other United fans is definitely a low. High is that this is the most likeable team we have had in years. Hope ole is backed to the hilt and gets to spend the kind of money mourinho spent but on fast attacking players, I'm realistic that it doesn't all happen in January though

Crashoutcassius

I can appreciate that supporters want to be positive and look to the New year optimistically, but threads like this irk me.
The lowering of our expectations /standards is disappointing. No club has a god given right to be successful, but when you are one of the biggest clubs in the world, with the resources, infrastructures, history, support, etc. that we have, then there should be an expectation that we would be better than what we are.
When a supporter of this club posts something like

My stomach turns.. A couple of results? Elite teams? Never had that confident feeling before? This may be what we are, but if we view it as a positive or even as acceptable, it will make recovering that much harder.

Every supporter at this club knew all through last season that our midfield was non existent. There are multiple threads all over the CAF about it. We knew that we had to address this or we would not be competitive. We didn't. Instead we got worse in this area with the loss of Hereara. Surprise Surprise, we are not competitive. Lingard is our creative midfileder. But the thing is, we were asked to accept that the reason that the biggest club in the world did not address this glaring deficiency, was that (1) There were no players in the world that were suitable signing to improve this position. (2)That we were addressing other areas of the squad (as if we couldn't address more than one area) (3) That our manager was happy with the players that he had (Either that's BS, or our manager is clueless,, you decide)
We now face into another transfer window. Our team is struggling in the league, fluctuating between 8th and 5th position. We have no ability to create chances against teams that don't attack us. Jlings is playing most weeks. McTominay is now injured (He's an average player anyway). Our chance of scraping a fourth place finish hinges on us improving in this area. Do you think we will? Or will we be asked to accept that (1) January is not the time to make signings. (2) We looked at a number of options but decided not to proceed. (3) Our management is happy with our current options in this position and will assess this again in the summer. (When we will offer potential new signings the carrot of the Europa football AGAIN)

It's difficult for me to look at 2019 positively, when we are miles behind where we could have been. Any one who tells me that the process takes time and that we have to be patient, can go and do one. Yes you have to do things the right way, but go and do it. It does not take 18months to realise that we don't have a midfield, identify who we need and get them in.

For me, the absolute worst thing about 2019 has been the gradual dumbing down of our expectations. The acceptance of the line that the process will be slow. The indifference to the 30 pt chasm between us and a title.The optimism garnered at the start of January 2020 by ONLY being 4 pts off of 4th place.

Rant over. Happy New year. Be as positive as you can be, but never accept that it is OK for this club not to be even remotely competitive.
Wierd rant. Did you copy and paste that from one of the 1000 threads that just rant out lingard and how we are entitled to be successful

fergosaurus

Positives:

* Martial and Rashford have been consistent and progressed well, credit to Solskjaer for playing them in the correct positions regularly

* McTominay has been good and Fred looks like a useful player now, would like to see a midfield three with Pogba on the left with a free role

* James was a bargain and AWB is almost unstoppable defensively

* our form in the last several weeks is top four form despite some poor results

* Greenwood and Williams look quality

Negatives:

* too many to mention but if our current form continues in January those will soon be forgotten about

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Really like the level-headed, patient and dedicated way in which Ole is steering this ship to success. I trust he knows what he is doing, and while far from perfect, will get us to long-term strength if he is properly supported by the club and the supporters. I am not sure whether he will win a league title for us, nobody can guarantee something like that but I am pretty sure he will take us back to being a consistently top 4 club and a club that we enjoy watching, a club that is threat to any team in the world. Which is a big progress from Mourinho trying to convince us that we were inferior to fecking Sevilla and should not have hoped to pass them in CL.

Top 6 finish in EPL and Europa League final is what I am hoping for, this season. Very important - to keep seeing clear signs of squad and players getting better (which we saw in the first half of the season). If we make top 4 or win Europa League - well, that would be fantastic!

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
It’s been a fecking dreadful year. If we stick with Solskjær, 2020 will be exactly the same.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Positives
1- Ole's shaping of the squad, getting rid of the deadwood that somehow survived numerous managers before him and those players who just don't fit Man Utd's DNA. His signings have been fairly decent as well and for the first time in 7 years we're looking like a new team. I always remember being alarmed by the number of Fergie's players that were still in the starting XI week in week out under the likes of Mourinho, for the first time post Fergie we're consistently naming sides with not a sign of the likes of Young, Smalling and Jones in the squad

2- Rashfords form, I've said since the day the lad broke into the first team he looked like the best attacking player produced by the academy since Giggs and now at 22 he's taking his game to new levels. It's still obviously unlikely he'll ever hit the highest of highs that Ronaldo did for us but he's looking like the nearest thing we've had to Cristiano

3- Greenwood, looks a bit special doesn't he. If he continues on his current trajectory just imagine how good he'll be once he's Rashford's age...

4- The big results, I'm a believer that you can tell more about a coach, a team and it's players by what they're capable of in the big games. Consistency and the right mentality is what's required to beat the lesser sides not amazing tactics but you see the true potential of what a side is capable of in the big games. Someone has already said the highs have been real highs whereas lows have been more head-scratching than anything too concerning. We're far from the finished product and we'll need some more good transfer windows but right now we're on the right track but that does bring me to the negatives....

Negatives
1- Still need a lot of recruitment, for all the money that has been spent there's still more holes in the starting XI than there are pegs. Questions marks over the GK, CB's, FB's (do they have enough quality in the attacking third), CM, No 10, CF. To still have that many question marks shows just how long it's still going to take before we get back to where we all want to be which brings me onto the next negative

2- The Fans, in the era of AFTV it feels like our own fanbase feels it has to bring its own brand of toxicity, hoping we loose games so the manager looses his job, the abuse certain players have had to endure (in some cases our best players), these fans don't have the stomach for this journey I suspect, they want instant results even at a time where the man who we though guaranteed those instant results failed

3- The Board, we still don't know where their heads at. Are they committed to making us contenders again or will they just do the bare minimum for what they feel will get us top 4? I'm not going to go mental if we make no signings in January but nothing less than 3 players to go straight into the starting XI in the summer will be good enough

Woeisme

Wierd rant. Did you copy and paste that from one of the 1000 threads that just rant out lingard and how we are entitled to be successful
Weird? What part did you disagree with? Do you believe that Lingard is an acceptable option for our creative midfield position? And no, I didn't copy and paste it, but perhaps the fact that you have seen the same opinion in 1000 of threads, there may be something to it.

RedIan

Its been a tough year. Watching United play is all about enjoyment for me, there have been far to many games when we have played so poorly it was difficult to watch... when we have played well, City away, spurs, Newcastle at home etc then its pure joy.. probably feels more so as its been a rarer experience in recent times.

positives - The emergence of Greenwood as a huge goal scoring talent. - also Williams as a great prospect at LFB
Improvement in Rashford and Martial
Improvement in Fred, he looked dire a few months ago, now looks decent
The 3 new signings - Maguire, James and AWB - i like them all
Schooling Man City

Negatives - Far to many lethargic performances.
Transfers out of Herrera Fellani and Lukaku without any replacements
( Linked to transfers out) - a squad lacking any quality in depth to cover for injuries
Failure to sign more quality players in summer, particularly in midfield.

Paul_Scholes18

High- All form up to PSG and that win.
Low- What has followed since we made Ole permanent

Although also high our performances in big games in general.

For players
High- Rashford, Mctominay, Fred
Low- De Gea, Lingard, Pogba(based on things outside football too)

lysglimt

Scout
2019 has seen 5 highs and 2 lows, one of the latter being the fans behaviour? Yeah, right.

Back in the real world, 2019 has been another disappointing year for the football club. We've finished outside the top 4 and failed in meeting our minimum expectations in 18/19 and seem well positioned repeat that achievement.

The highs:
  1. Strong peformances against the better teams. They've played into our counter attacking hands to an extent. But we deserve credit for making a habit of beating the better teams.
  2. Like LVG, we've been giving youth a chance which I am in favour of.
  3. Our signings this summer were solid despite being unspectacular. Daniel James has been a good addition. And AWB has become a fan favourite.
The lows:
  1. As mentioned, missing out CL football yet again.
  2. Our peformances this calendar year which have simply not been good enough. We aren't making the progress we need to, to become a proper modern football team. The focus on quality in possession and retaining the ball and real tactical excellence isn't apparent.
  3. Our signings this past summer were intended to fix the defence on which we spent an enormous amount of money. And yet, we've been A) leaking goals consistently and B) seeing sod all from our defence from an attacking /creative perspective.
  4. Off the pace in the top four race once again.
  5. Hiring Ole as permanant manager. He seems a really nice fellow and shared some beliefs with SAF but don't think he's shown anything to suggest that he's the right man for the job.
All in all, it's about the football. Culture, youth, values, good old days, fast attacking etc is all well and good but I don't simply don't see the imprint of a top football manager on this team. Because sadly we don't seem to have hired one. There have been some decent moments here and there but a definitely another low year in this post SAF phase for the club.
Well I think most wingers disagree that AWB has just been unspectacular. Think you are a bit harsh on the highs...but if we go to the lows:

1) We should have been in the C.L - agreed.

2) Partly agree - performances this calender year have not been good enough - but I strongly disagree that we aren't making progress. 11 wins 4 draws and 3 defeats (including Astana) in the last 18 matches - is really good and clear progress. Add to that - our goal difference in that period is 37-18. So to say there hasn't been a progress is simply wrong.

3) We havent been leaking goals - but we have conceded a few too many agreed. If we ignore the Astana-game, our opponents have scored twice or more against us 5 times this season. That is quite ok in 30 or so games - the main problem has been that we have conceded 1 or 2 goals in matches where our opponts basically created nothing more than the goal. So too many individual mistakes - agreed.

4) Yes - we got off to a poor start, and that haunts us.

5) That was last calender year

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Positives

- Our football being better towards the end of the year than at any other point prior to PSG.
- Emergence of Greenwood.
- Rashford having his best year so far.
- AWB's tackling.
- Less shit given to Ashley Young who has been a brilliant servant over the years.
- Squad players stepping up when we need them, like McTominay, Fred, Williams and occasionally Pereira (inconsistent but can be good).
- The forum not getting rid of the old emojis :drool:

Negatives

- The general running of the football team and being in a situation where we have to rely on a thin squad due to terrible procurement over the years.
- Lingard and Luke Shaw.
- South Stand still looks rubbish.
- Liverpool being as good as they are.

RMD83

It’s been a year of a few highs and many lows. On a positive note I think the squad is being shaped into something that may be challenging for major honours in a few seasons. I’d say we are 4 or 5 major signings away from being a great team and squad (that’s no small feat in itself). Sadly I’m not convinced by Ole though. I couldn’t think of a manger I’d love to succeed more here but there’s been too many times this year that has reminded me that he’s managed Cardiff and molde prior to winning the lottery and getting this job. Rashford’s progression has been a highlight, McTomminay’s too. Fred has found his feet, Greenwood looks very promising, and the three signings in the summer have been good additions. Apart from Herrera we have cleared out most the players that had over stayed their welcome or arguably weren’t welcome to begin with.
In short I’d accept this year as “progress” if we are in a much better position this time next year and a considerably better position 2 years from now.

amolbhatia50k

Well I think most wingers disagree that AWB has just been unspectacular. Think you are a bit harsh on the highs...but if we go to the lows:

1) We should have been in the C.L - agreed.

2) Partly agree - performances this calender year have not been good enough - but I strongly disagree that we aren't making progress. 11 wins 4 draws and 3 defeats (including Astana) in the last 18 matches - is really good and clear progress. Add to that - our goal difference in that period is 37-18. So to say there hasn't been a progress is simply wrong.

3) We havent been leaking goals - but we have conceded a few too many agreed. If we ignore the Astana-game, our opponents have scored twice or more against us 5 times this season. That is quite ok in 30 or so games - the main problem has been that we have conceded 1 or 2 goals in matches where our opponts basically created nothing more than the goal. So too many individual mistakes - agreed.

4) Yes - we got off to a poor start, and that haunts us.

5) That was last calender year
Going on a run can often be form rather than progress as it was under Ole when he joined. So no, being better than terrible versions of ourselves isn't progress. It's simply results aligning more with the bare minimum expected level, which is also to be seen how long it lasts of course. Progress is when you genuinely make strides as s football team.

Also wasn't Ole hired as permanant manager in 2019?

MrVolley

3/10

Second biggest club in the world.
Unlimited funds.

No excuses for not challenging City and Liverpool except incompetence.

But got a feeling we won't be winning the title in this decade. :(

MrVolley

You're very much like my first Wife, she rated my love-making every single time, never got as high as 3/10 though
"Watching United play now, it’s a bit like making love as an old man. You try as hard as you can, but at the end of the day, everyone is a bit disappointed" -
Eric Cantona, December 2019

meamth

Having highs in a rebuilding phase is not accepting mediocrity.

It's realistic and proper credits to those at the clubs who showed enough promises for the club going forward.

The club has fallen from grace, we all admit that, but it's not like we have forgotten to be the top dog.

It's just that I and others who believed in slow progression is more hopeful than what LVG and Mourinho has given us.

I had many highs in a low expectation season, because realistically, asking for instant impact is just daft to begin with.

Building a successful team is not an overnight process.

lysglimt

Scout
Going on a run can often be form rather than progress as it was under Ole when he joined. So no, being better than terrible versions of ourselves isn't progress. It's simply results aligning more with the bare minimum expected level, which is also to be seen how long it lasts of course. Progress is when you genuinely make strides as s football team.

Also wasn't Ole hired as permanant manager in 2019?
Of course - you were right about the permanent manager thing. Sorry! Don't know what I was thinking there

Progress to me is this:
1) Players are genuinely happy - with a couple of exceptions.
2) The majority of our players have signed a new contracts - with a couple of exceptions
3) When there is a picture of something related to Man United in the press - it isn't always bad news
4) The players are working their socks off on the pitch
5) We are being linked with the right players
6) Marcus Rashford is turning into a proven goalscorer
7) When players deemed useless get a chance they generally perform
8) Fred looks like a quality player
9) Brandon Williams and Mason Greenwood look ready to fight for first-team spots.
10) Even when we are losing - we create more chances than our opponents (like the Watford-game)

So to me - we are progressing - a lot.

We will still have a few awful games once in a while, but they are getting few and far between. But yes - we need to get a new midfielder in quickly, or we could find ourselves in real trouble.