Manchester United 21/22 Season Expectations

meamth

Now it's done and dusted. We achieved 2nd with underwhelming cup runs:
  • FA cup Quarter final lost to Leicester.
  • League cup semifinal lost to Manchester City.
  • Champions league group stage 3rd place.
  • Pending Europa league final
Overall it has been a disappointing season for not being able to get into the knockout rounds of Champions league.​
Other than that, such disappointing semi finals, and failures to capitalize on the title race is just something we need to improve upon next season.​
What is Caf residents minimum expectations for Man United next season?​

Last edited:

rron10

Supports
Sir Alex
First of all we reached the quarters of the FA cup not the semis.
Secondly we are in the EL final so we still have something to play for, the season is not over.
As for the next season I expect at least top 3, Cl quarters and a cup.

Raw

A proper title challenge. Actually be fighting for it with a few games left to go, and not be 10+ point behind by March.

As for the cups, a strong showing in the CL would be nice. Totally hard to predict how far we'd get but at least get past the groups FFS!
Hopefully win one of the FA Cup or the Man City cup too. There's also a good chance of the UEFA super cup. That's 4 cups and the league to contend for, and we better win at least one. This is Man Utd, we have to start winning trophies every season again.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
  • FA cup semifinal lost to Leicester.
  • Champions league group stage runners up.
Overall it has been a disappointing season for not being able to get into the knockout rounds of Champions league.​
Other than that, such disappointing semi finals, and failures to capitalize on the title race is just something we need to improve upon next season.​
we came third in our CL group...

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
We'll be nowhere near winning the league just with those two.
and why would Kane sign for us if his aim is to win things? We can't beat Sheffield United or Fulham at Old Trafford! :)

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
It would nice to still be in the title race in January... seriously, we need to win a trophy and not lose games to sides who looked likely to go down by December

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Mad to ask this question now, if we don't improve the squad why should anyone expect anything different than this season?

The Oracle

I expect more shit on a stick football, with the odd moment of individual brilliance in a match.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
As others have said, a lot is contingent on signings we do in the summer. If we sign at least two first team XI players and retain Pogba, we should be looking at competing. Like, seriously being involved in the race rather than not being up for it like this season. Worst case should be a comfortable top 4 like this.

Cups are cups. If we win the Europa this season, the FA Cup/Carabao are whatever dependent on how squad fitness/other priorities are looking at the time.

Making it out the group stage of the CL at minimum, probably QFs.

OleBoiii

It's way too early for this thread.

First of all, the season has not been a disappointment unless you expected a title challenge(which would be foolish to expect, imo).
Secondly, we still have an EL final to play.
Thirdly, the upcoming transfer window will largely decide our fate. The current team is not good enough to win big titles. With little to no first XI improvement, we are going to stagnate.

LoneStar

Even if we have a good transfer window (realistically good), and get our stuff together, a lot would depend on how City, Pool and Chelsea perform.

If you need 90+ points for the title, we seem pretty far off at the moment. I'd say City would be overwhelming favourites again. If they sign Kane, and Pep stays, I don't think we have much of a chance.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Can't really answer this until I see the signings.

If we keep the same squad as is I can see us dropping some places because Liverpool and Chelsea will not be as bad as they were this season.

Withnail

Yeah it all depends on what signings we make vs everyone else.

We have a few areas need strengthening still and if Kane moves and/or someone brings in Haaland, for example, it changes things considerably.

redshaw

Currently probably 4th with some better CL performances. Depends on the signings and the possibility of relying on Henderson and Heaton for next season is quite concerning.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
This is Manchester United, it’ll always be title challenge. No matter the squad strength or quality of players, expectations will never change.
Whether it’s achievable is a different conversation but that’s what makes it exciting supporting this club. Even at our weakest, we’ll always believe we as good as anyone out there.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Same thoughts as I have had the last two summers. Will be a tough run for top four and we'll be unlikely to feature in a title race as City, Chelsea, and to some extent Liverpool, will continue to show more ambition. To expect to compete for the major prizes, we need a huge summer, bringing in four or five top players, moving the worst four or five members of our squad on, and we need to agree an extension with Pogba. Just signing one or two players will actually put us further back.

I don't like it, but we don't do what is necessary to realistically compete with the best.

romufc

Two top 3 finishes now for Ole. You have to back the manager if you want to go further than that. We all know we will win nothing without a CDM.

We need to make it happen.

RONI AH

It's all about expectations in relation to the existing facts.
On 06.10.20 just after the transfer window closed, more than 90% of fans / reporters / commentators and journalists estimated that following the failed transfer window and lack of quality players United would end the season in 4-6 places at best. Ole did not get the players he really wanted and had to go again with so many bugs and weak links throughout the squad.

First the defense.
It's no wonder that our defense conceded 7 goals in 6 days in three home games in which our most important defensive player, Harry Maguire, was absent. even with the same Maguire 2 weeks ago we manage a horror defensive display at the Olimpico in Rome. With such a defense it is impossible to win trophies with all due respect, nor can one expect much. Which is one of the reasons why Ole almost every game prefers to play with two defensive midfielders to tight things up on this fragile defense. I appreciate Scott and Fred and congratulate them on their belonging and fighting because we need such players in the squad but a team that claims to win and fight for trophies must have quality players, something Scott and Fred simply do not have. they are a good backup players but not to start in every Premier League and Champions League matches. On Matic of course there is nothing to add he's no longer belongs to these levels.

Offensive midfielders and attacking players
The situation here is much better and more promising than the defensive side. Admittedly the right winger position has been crying out for a solution for years and if this summer we do not strengthen that position and continue to see all sorts of improvisations like Greenwood and Rashford we have nothing to look for at the top levels and second place will only be a dream next year.
I'm sure that this time ole will be able to apply the pressure needed on the board to land a player in this position (Sancho?) .. We will live and see.

In conclusion, this squad has overachieved this season and I have no complaints about the players or the professional stuff. We have got the shortest summer break in almost all of Europe clubs and we played almost every 2.8 days on average. It's wierd. And for this Ole have to be backed massively this time because if not, thursday nights will be back soon..

pacifictheme

If you finish second you should be expecting a title challenge the next season.

But ole needs to be backed for that to happen.

Eddy_JukeZ

Unless the transfer window is a complete disaster --- We need to challenge for the Prem next season.

Mainoldo

If Ole is here Top 4.

If we get a proper manager. World domination.

Zen86

Quite the pointless thread until the season starts, it is 100% dependent on our summer activity. As we are, we're probably on course for a dogged Top 4 fight at best.

Church o Choccy

For me we should be thinking about our own points total. We've improved this year on the points we accumulated last year - if we win our last game we're 8 points better off this season than last season. Take into account our poor start with no pre-season and the silly points we've dropped in recent weeks since we more or less knew we were finishing second and I don't think it's unreasonable to target another 8-10 point improvement next year, especially with a strengthened squad. That would put us on 82-84 points. Enough to win the league? Possibly, but not likely. Enough to mean we're viable contenders who have at least a shot? Absolutely.

Reaching the quarter finals of the Champions League also puts us back on the map of top level European football and that competition being what it is - once you're in the knockout stages anything can happen.

Realistically if someone told me right now that United finish next season on 83 points and hit a Champions League quarter final that would be enough for me to believe we're still on an upward trajectory. That we're still producing evidence of the magical "progress" we keep talking about.

Zlatattack

Win the league or die trying. That's my expectation. None of this patting yourself on the back for managing to come second, no participation medals, no tweets of victory after every win - save those for the trophies.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
It really depends on what our rivals do really.

I expect Chelsea and Liverpool to be much closer to the top than this season, although I think Leicester may drop off earlier next season and I can't see any of Arsenal, Spurs, West Ham, Everton really challenging for the top 4.

Gun to my head, I'd say the top 4 next season will be us, City, Chelsea and Liverpool (as I expect it will be this season), and I'd be amazed if City don't end up a fair stretch ahead of the chasing pack.

That's no indictment of Ole/Utd, that's just the reality of how good they and Pep are.

Let's say, good challenge in the league with a higher point tally than this season, a domestic cup and going deep into the CL. I think most would be satisfied with that.

Oranges038

Win the league or die trying. That's my expectation. None of this patting yourself on the back for managing to come second, no participation medals, no tweets of victory after every win - save those for the trophies.
You are either first or nowhere.

Need at least 5 players to challenge properly for the league and make inroads in the champions league. They are nice to win, but I don't think the FA cup or League cup are high on the priority list.

Anyway here's what I think

1 CB - Lindelof/Maguire partnership is not good enough

2 midfielders - Fred/McT not good enough. Matic is finished, Pogba can't be trusted.

1 proper right winger - needed since 2014

1 centre forward - Cavani is not going to be able play every game. Greenwood doesn't seem ready to move centrally. Martial is rubbish and Rashford sulks when he doesn't play on the left.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
  • FA cup Quarter final lost to Leicester.
  • Champions league group stage 3rd place.
  • Pending Europa league final
No goals allowed, no draws, 100% winrate, IF we play a draw, have at least 47 shots on goal of which 20 hits the posts or crossbar, 80% possession and tikitaka agressive pushpress domination football.

Just to meet the Cafs expectation.

Strelok

I do hope we can deliver a title challenger. Winning it? it depends greatly how we and the other contenders will do this summer.

One thing I've taken from my 25 years watching football is who has the strongest squad usually win the league. I took a look at the salary budget of the PL teams few days ago and it baffles me how the feck City has been able to maintain two top 4 squads with a similar budget with other top teams. It's not even possible in FM, a computer game ffs.

https://www.sportingfree.com/football/premier-league-clubs-wage-bills/

We all know how City does this, problem is unless the PL or FA do a thing about this City gonna walk the league again. But looking at how ridiculously their CL ban affair was handled last summer, tbh I don't have much hope.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
If we upgrade at centre back, and get a quality defensive midfielder who can pass as well as crunch, I think we'll challenge for the title.

If we don't, then we'll be fighting for top four come the end of the season. Wouldn't be surprised to see City, Chelsea and Liverpool improve over the summer. Leaving us to fight it out with Leicester for Champions League football like we did last season.

A title challenge is a must. I don't expect to win it but we need to be up there at the end of the season. We might have finished second this year but we never threatened City and that needs to be the focus.

We should also get to at least the quarters in the Champions League. FA Cup and League Cup i don't care about.

slored1

85 points plus. Title challenge, CL quarterfinals, 110 goals in all competitions. Domestic cups I don't really care.

Greenwood to score 20 goals, Rashford to score 30. Last chance for the likes of Martial, Henderson and Lindelöf to show that they can be consistent.