Manchester United 3:1 Crystal Palace (Tue 19th July, 11:10 UK time)

McTerminator

To be fair to Crystal Plaice this was their B team.

Utd fans might want to mullet over before getting too excited about this victory.

Some on here are getting so ahead of themselves that ETH’s Utd are being trouted as potential PL champions.

Though, tbf that’s probably just the prawn sandwich brigade.
At the end of the day Palace got battered.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
We spent a world record £94m on Pogba, £50m on Fred, £40m on VdB and £30m on Matic.

McTominay forced 3 out of 4 of them out of the team, and made the other 1 his partner. Not just under one manager, but three.
Says more about the other 3 than it does about Scott, to be fair magic had lost his legs but the rest were just kinda subpar.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Loved seeing how much the Palace players absolutely hated us owning them all over the pitch. There's some more lower level teams that are going to get some revenge beatings this season. Everton, Brighton, Southampton etc

Robbie Boy

The phrase pattern of play is parodied into oblivion now but that aside I agree. Whoever our actual possession / attacking coach was, I always assumed McKenna, just wasn't at it like they were on setting up and executing counters, which we were great at at different times. You can still see the basis of that countering prowess in the team today. And can still see how clueless they are in possession even against the extremely poor teams we have played so far, although small signs of improvement
To be fair, it was parodied on here by Ole's staunch supporters, who wanted to bury their heads in the sand about how poor our football was. We had some good games under him obviously, but he never managed to have us playing sustainability good football. When Bruno arrived, we had a great run, but the football was anything but cohesive.

Fans of other clubs, other managers, pundits etc. all use the phrase in a serious manner. It was just that some on here decided to make it a meme, and pretend that there was no such thing. Ole is a great guy, but feck me, his football was extremely boring and we were tactically inept.

Ole decided to go balls in with a counter attacking style - when it worked it could be effective - but it had us running into countless problems, time-and-again. And as you rightfully pointed out, our lack of the absolute basics when in possession, is still evident.

Hopefully ETH is the right man to finally transition us into a modern way of playing. It's basically what we were promised after Jose, but we ended up with 3-years of Ole-ball.

Wing Attack Plan R

I think it's becoming clear we actually were an awfully coached team. People have asked how much difference a manager can make and I think we're seeing the answer is something like "massive". It was good to see the players linked up with some really clever passes.

Kaizane

Promising stuff from the team today but Fish needs more schooling on how not to flap at it.

Valencia Shin Crosses

People saying Scott McTominay is rather good… Christ I’ve heard it all now.

He’s a niche player that probably belongs as part of a generation of midfielders from 20-30 years ago, because his best attributes would have been more on display then than now. He’s a decent carrier of the ball for his size can can pull off some decent footwork, and he’s quite good when called upon to finish chances. He probably would have even been a solid midtable midfielder 20 years ago where the game offered more space and physical battles.

However, the modern game requires every player on the pitch to be as sharp as possible in their touch, weight of pass, and speed of thought at the top level with how popular the coordinated pressing games have become from the best teams. These are all things McTominay lacks, as he’s a below average passer in general and doesn’t read the game well enough to do much more than pass it backwards when pressured. He could get away with these faults if he was a stalwart destroyer, but he struggles positionally in defense so it forces him to be a part of a midfield 2.

AFC NimbleThumb

Loved seeing how much the Palace players absolutely hated us owning them all over the pitch. There's some more lower level teams that are going to get some revenge beatings this season. Everton, Brighton, Southampton etc
I’d be happy righting those wrongs this season along with more intent against our rivals. We aren’t losing 6 away games in a row this season that’s for sure.

My only Eric

I was really busy and missed the match.

Please does anyone know a website where I can download the full game?

Please PM me. THANKS

roseguy64

didnt realise thats why so many Palace players werent on their tour

does that mean almost everyone at utd got their jab? Who didnt travel, Jones, Ronaldo....anyone else?
Jones, Ronaldo, Shoretire, Fernandez, Mengi and Williams. Along with Eriksen and Martinez.

Highfather_24

Our players usually play well when the pressure is off. When they really have to perform, they usually bottle it. This squad has a mentality problem. Lets see how we fare when we actually HAVE to win.