Manchester United 4:1 Melbourne Defeat (Fri 15th July, 11:05 UK time)

Glorio

Thought I'd drop in here and spice things up a bit so listen up ya whinging poms. This ain't a friendly. Prepare yourselves for a demoralising defeat which leaves a **** stain on your pre-season. First of all I'll go through most of your squad.

De Gea - Only still with you for the money
Wan-Bissaka - Silly name
Varane - Good in the past but now an overrated has been
Lindelof - Nothing special
Maguire - Not sure if he's here but wouldn't even make our team
Shaw - Never met his potential and never will
McTominay - Placeholder until you actually find someone better
Fred - See above
Sancho - One of your only good players and you can't even get him to play well
Fernandes - One season wonder
Rashford - Useless
Martial - Almost as useless
Ronaldo - Too scared of the Victory to even make the trip

Also heard some Dutch fella doesn't want a bar of ya and you are practically tryin' to kidnapp him.

Me and the boys got the BBQ ready to go and drinks on ice ready to celebrate a Victory win.
Wan-Bissaka :lol: :lol: :lol:

MetoTTT

I'm not sure the commentators on LFCTV were worse the other day that these on MUTV.

Robbie Boy

Thought I'd drop in here and spice things up a bit so listen up ya whinging poms. This ain't a friendly. Prepare yourselves for a demoralising defeat which leaves a **** stain on your pre-season. First of all I'll go through most of your squad.

Wan-Bissaka - Silly name
Fred - See above
Rashford - Useless

Also heard some Dutch fella doesn't want a bar of ya and you are practically tryin' to kidnapp him.

Me and the boys got the BBQ ready to go and drinks on ice ready to celebrate a Victory win.
Well played, you got some bites :lol:

This was actually some good banter, sir!

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'm not sure the commentators on LFCTV were worse the other day that these on MUTV.
The MUTV lads are probably jetlagged and have not slept in a while. Thus the constant rambling and inside jokes.
quite enjoyed their banter to be honest, felt like a proper manc tv channel for once.

Better than soft voiced stewart gardner anyway. Ben Thornley seems like a really nice guy.

Teja

I’m inclined to think the CB situation should be;

Bailly or Martinez

with

Varane/Lindelof/Maguire

Proactive and aggressive with a more passive partner?
Maguire is supposed to be the aggressive one. I'd put Bailly, Martinez, Maguire in one bucket and Varane, Lindelof in the other.

Anyway, EtH played with Timber / Antony for Ajax and neither is a particularly cautious, defend the space type player, so who knows.

Glorio

Good game at the end - Iqbal and Savage really enjoying the experience to show what they're about. Good on them!

I do wonder when Hannibal and Garnacho will get their chance - hopefully soon

romufc

I will say again, get a grip.

Pre-season is rusty players getting fitness and match sharpness.

I totally agree that someone like Chong is not good enough but basing that opinion on 45 minutes early in pre-season is knee jerk as it's best.
Again, pre season or not, I have seen enough of AWB, Telles and Chong last season and start of pre season to know they wont be part of the team.

Its not knee Jerk. Its actually an opinion.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
quite enjoyed their banter to be honest, felt like a proper manc tv channel for once.

Better than soft voiced stewart gardner anyway. Ben Thornley seems like a really nice guy.
Gardner either creeps me out or irritates me with his constant roving eyes, and fidgety arms.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Again, pre season or not, I have seen enough of AWB, Telles and Chong last season and start of pre season to know they wont be part of the team.

Chong was quality last season when fit.

I can see a squad role for him this season.

OverratedOpinion

So then maybe saying that you are basing your opinion on 2 preseason games is you not making your point very well?

romufc

So then maybe saying that you are basing your opinion on 2 preseason games is you not making your point very well?
Players had a shocker last season.

In the pre season games, players like Bruno, McFed, Dalot, lindelof, bailly, martial have looked sharp and see they can play but having watched AWB and Telles for both games, it is clear they are not the level we require.

if you need 10/15 games to see that, then that's up to you.

OverratedOpinion

Players had a shocker last season.

In the pre season games, players like Bruno, McFed, Dalot, lindelof, bailly, martial have looked sharp and see they can play but having watched AWB and Telles for both games, it is clear they are not the level we require.

if you need 10/15 games to see that, then that's up to you.
You are putting far, far too much weight on these games.

romufc

You are putting far, far too much weight on these games.
Right, do you not think the manager uses these games to see who will start the season ?

Do you think the manager is looking at these games to try different players and see who is good enough?

Golden Nugget

Didn’t see Brandon Williams in either game - is he on the tour? If not, is he injured or simply not rated by ETH?

OverratedOpinion

Right, do you not think the manager uses these games to see who will start the season ?

Do you think the manager is looking at these games to try different players and see who is good enough?
More so training.

There is a reason that Reece James didn't become a LVG mainstay, Tuenzabe wasn't starting in defence for Mourinho.

These games are for fitness and a bit of match sharpness (and a little bit of introducing the youngsters to first team football).

Dorris

Think it’s quite clear how he’s thinking of setting up this season after these 2 games, particularly in the build up. You could see Fred dropping into LCB of a 3 often today, which will be De Jong’s role, Martinez central and one of Lindelof Varane or Maguire to the right. My opinion is he’ll use Eriksen as the sixpence (to quote Mike Bassett), an extremely tidy player to always be available for the ball off these 3 in a similar way Rodri is for City (albeit different in their defensive duties). I’d imagine that Ten Haag believes this can work should we lose possession as one of the full backs will always be tucked in, depending on which side the ball is on.

After years of us struggling to get the ball out from defence, we now have a player who can beat players from deep (presuming he signs), a CB who has a great passing range and can playmake from the back, and a central midfielder available to take the ball who’s extremely tidy and unnerved in possession. These 3 signings should transform us.

Highfather_24

The MUTV lads are probably jetlagged and have not had proper sleep in a while. Thus the constant rambling and inside jokes.

Seemed like the commentator heard about "high/low percentage" passes for the first time today, and absolutely couldnt stop bringing it up.

romufc

More so training.

There is a reason that Reece James didn't become a LVG mainstay, Tuenzabe wasn't starting in defence for Mourinho.

These games are for fitness and a bit of match sharpness (and a little bit of introducing the youngsters to first team football).
Yes, so are you saying if a player has 5 bad pre season games and trains well, he starts?

The main reason we have so many games this pre season is so Ten Hag can see who is good enough.

lex talionis

For me that main takeaway is that players have clearly been given instructions within a tactical scheme. As much as I loved Ole the player and hung in there him as manager, I have to acknowledge he had no idea what to have his players do. We have a proper manager in ten Hag.

OverratedOpinion

Yes, so are you saying if a player has 5 bad pre season games and trains well, he starts?

The main reason we have so many games this pre season is so Ten Hag can see who is good enough.
Yes absolutely, Rooney was often absolute shit in pre season. Then he used it for it's purpose and was fit enough to start the season so he started.

No the main reason is more than likely because we barely had a pre-season the last 2 seasons that was very unhelpful and Ten Hag needs the overall fitness level of the squad to improve. If Ten Hag looked at these games and said "I don't need De Jong because Zidane Iqbal has been brilliant and Fred scored a worldie" I would be very concerned.

We don't need to sign anyone though as we are clearly a mile ahead of Liverpool who were 2nd last season.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Seemed like the commentator heard about "high/low percentage" passes for the first time today, and absolutely couldnt stop bringing it up.
Was probably a buzz word the club asked them to use tbf :lol: I noticed a lot of talk about possession and stuff too.

Anyway, nothing wrong with a bit of a laugh every now and again.

DevilRed

Wan-Bissaka - Silly name
Fred - See above
Rashford - Useless

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Fair play you descendant of a criminal

romufc

Yes absolutely, Rooney was often absolute shit in pre season. Then he used it for it's purpose and was fit enough to start the season so he started.

No the main reason is more than likely because we barely had a pre-season the last 2 seasons that was very unhelpful and Ten Hag needs the overall fitness level of the squad to improve. If Ten Hag looked at these games and said "I don't need De Jong because Zidane Iqbal has been brilliant and Fred scored a worldie" I would be very concerned.

We don't need to sign anyone though as we are clearly a mile ahead of Liverpool who were 2nd last season.
You also do realise there is a big difference between giving youngsters the chance and looking at players who are established footballers?

Telles and AWB did not look good in the games, they have been in the senior team.

OverratedOpinion

You also do realise there is a big difference between giving youngsters the chance and looking at players who are established footballers?

Telles and AWB did not look good in the games, they have been in the senior team.
I am honestly not sure what point you are even making now.

If AWB performs average the next 2 games but does exactly what Ten Hag wants in training I would assume ETH will keep him and take the view that preseason games are fundamentally unimportant.

You sound like a boxer who won't shut up about getting the better of someone in sparring. They often end up losing when the actual fight happens.

romufc

I am honestly not sure what point you are even making now.

If AWB performs average the next 2 games but does exactly what Ten Hag wants in training I would assume ETH will keep him and take the view that preseason games are fundamentally unimportant.

You sound like a boxer who won't shut up about getting the better of someone in sparring. They often end up losing when the actual fight happens.
Okay we will see what happens with the boxer.
The boxer who thinks AWB and Telles aren't good enough for United under Ten Hag or the boxer who thinks Pre season game shows nothing.

OverratedOpinion

Okay we will see what happens with the boxer.
The boxer who thinks AWB and Telles aren't good enough for United under Ten Hag or the boxer who thinks Pre season game shows nothing.
I don't think Telles is good enough for United, I am willing to give him a chance based on how terribly managed he's been in his time here and based on the fact we have a coach now who I rate highly.

I have seen players fortunes change too often down the years to totally write anyone off. Let alone based on 2 halves in pre season matches.