Manchester United and Chelsea battle over Michael Edwards

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Here's the Mane thread from when we were linked to him in 2015.

One poster even compared him to Bellion on the second page.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/sadio-mané.408248/
Jezz I never even commented on the thread and I thought he was a good PL standard player. I think I trusted the club a lot more with thinking this next fix will be the one that sets us back on course. I trusted we’d get the scouting spot on with martial etc.

Hoof the ball

Here's the Mane thread from when we were linked to him in 2015.

One poster even compared him to Bellion on the second page.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/sadio-mané.408248/
He's entirely incorrect.

In many ways he's a lot like Bellion.

He's human, male, plays football, possesses all the required limbs to compete, is capable of rational thought and of course, they're both fast.

It was Devilish. :lol:

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Had to laugh when I got this far

The feck. From Bale to Pedro to Mane.

:confused::nervous::eek:

Please someone shoot me if we sign Mane.

All the way to martial on £250,000 per week and Mane being the best value signing out the above by a country mile.

Last edited:

R'hllor

So almost 1 in 4 were happy with his signing. That's a significant amount of people. If it was 5% I might have let @R'hllor away with his post but no way can he imply nobody wanted Mane when 1 in 4 did.
Well you can't come out with OTT expressions and expect to not be challenged on them. It's a forum, words are important. Your post was not a fair reflection on what happened imo.
You might let me get away with it, cant come out and expect not... from where you got that i expected not to be challenged on my claim.

Edit: Actually dont answer that, not gonna derail thread further, shit actually funny, damn

Chief123

"Transfer guru"
Literally any football manager and PES players knew about the players he signed.
I think that’s a bit harsh.

What would be a very useful asset of having him is his ability to fetch decent fees for dispensable or young players that are surplus to requirements. Some of the fees Liverpool have got for selling unwanted players has been crazy.

He got £24m for Brewster!

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
May be a shite aggregator but it’s come from Pete O’Rourke who is followed on Twitter by some pretty big and reliable sports journalists such as Fabrizio Romano, Daniel Taylor, Oliver Kay and Bryan Swanson.

The article is here;

https://www.footballinsider247.com/man-united-edwards-sources/

& the original tweet is here;

Maybe there is something to it. Hopefully there is. I just think it is far too sensible a move for this club.

Skills

Snitch
Interesting to see what the structure would look like if we are actually looking for another sporting director.

Andy O'Boyle - looking after the academy and women's team

Edwards - men's first team

Murtough - heading both at the high level

Particularly interesting to see where the manager would sit in that chain of command. Is he reporting to Murtough or someone like an Edwards?

Chairman Steve

I’m still expecting him to end up at Chelsea as Todd and his posse are actively searching in this area. I think they’re keen on trying to get value for money on new players, with the likes of Lukaku, Werner and Havertz not being as fruitful as first thought with the money stumped up.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Interesting to see what the structure would look like if we are actually looking for another sporting director.

Particularly interesting to see where the manager would sit in that chain of command. Is he reporting to Murtough or someone like an Edwards?
Something like that.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
This could make the RAWK thread more fun.

know nothing about him, but seems popular.

Oh God, he’d instantly be heralded as the reason we’re good again (if that happens). I expect him to be a bit shite elsewhere and prove that Klopp and his coaching was the real genius there, just as it was at Dortmund.

Skills

Snitch
Something like that.
I think it would be good for the club. You can have a clear set of accountabilities across the different areas.

Secondly if someone leaves/moves on, the rest of the machine keeps ticking while the replacements slot into their roles.

JB7

Didn't we bring someone in last week to head up the women's team, Polly Bancroft was it?

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
"Transfer guru"
Literally any football manager and PES players knew about the players he signed.
Yeah, Van Djik and Mane were probably the biggest possible signings that Liverpool could get at the time. One of them even broke the transfer record for defenders. Hardly the work of a genius scout that.

I do think it's fair to say that Salah was a fine transfer, though. He was not nearly as obvious as the other two.

Skills

Snitch
Didn't we bring someone in last week to head up the women's team, Polly Bancroft was it?
Interesting but you are right. I may be wrong, but from the title I think he's been brought in at the same level as someone like Nick Cox (Head of Youth Development) rather than at a sporting director level.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I think it would be good for the club. You can have a clear set of accountabilities across the different areas.

Secondly if someone leaves/moves on, the rest of the machine keeps ticking while the replacements slot into their roles.
Agreed.

It's all about how a group of people come together to provide a foundation for the performance side of the club to thrive on the pitch.

Mainoldo

Yeah, Van Djik and Mane were probably the biggest possible signings that Liverpool could get at the time. One of them even broke the transfer record for defenders. Hardly the work of a genius scout that.

I do think it's fair to say that Salah was a fine transfer, though. He was not nearly as obvious as the other two.
Wasn’t he already a legacy target?

They tried to sign him when his stock was high and they were abit shite and he chose Chelsea.

So again was it not obvious?

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
So again was it not obvious?
I don't remember the whole story, but didn't Chelsea get rid of Salah because he wasn't deemed good enough? And then Liverpool took a chance on him after a few years in Italy?

JB7

I don't remember the whole story, but didn't Chelsea get rid of Salah because he wasn't deemed good enough? And then Liverpool took a chance on him after a few years in Italy?
Klopp was pushing to sign Brandt instead at the time too and Edwards had to convince him that Salah was a better fit.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Funny lot United fans. On one hand crying out for structure, on the other hand “he only signed obvious targets”. Who do you expect us to put in that job, a fortune teller?

Skills

Snitch
Funny lot United fans. On one hand crying out for structure, on the other hand “he only signed obvious targets”. Who do you expect us to put in that job, a fortune teller?
Yeah exactly. I think partially what we're lacking at the moment is someone with connections and relationships across different clubs in Europe. Murtough might have the vision and the right idea, but he's never had to do that part of the job.

Having someone like Edwards resolves that without having to use intermediaries like in the Woodward era