Manchester United eleven Sir Alex era

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho

Schmichel
Ferdinand Vidic Stam
Beckham Keane Robson Giggs
Rooney Cantona Ronaldo

Becks and Giggs with the legs to cover the wings, Cantona to drop into the 10 position. Basically perfection barring the fact the 2 wide CBs wouldn't be comfortable out wide

Robbie Boy

Friggin outstanding
I think I was like 9 when he left us - so while I'm sure I watched some games that he played for us, I certainly don't remember them. My first memories of him were as the Middlesbrough manager.

I've watched countless videos of him though, and feck me, he looked frighteningly good. We could certainly do with a player of his ilk these days.

Oldyella

VDS

Neville
Rio
Vidic
Irwin

Beckham
Scholes
Keane
Ronaldo

Rooney
Cantona

RUCK4444

I think I was like 9 when he left us - so while I'm sure I watched some games that he played for us, I certainly don't remember them. My first memories of him were as the Middlesbrough manager.

I've watched countless videos of him though, and feck me, he looked frighteningly good. We could certainly do with a player of his ilk these days.
He would be incredible for us right now, brilliant player and absolute leader.

We’re missing leaders more than ever.

lsd

The Oracle
Van de Sar
Irwin
Ferdinand
Stam
Evra
Ronaldo
Keane
Pogba
Giggs
Yorke
Cantona

Bwuk

Not going to pick the likes of Robson who I’m too young to have seen. Ronaldo upfront because you can’t not have Beckham and Giggs.

Edwin
Neville - Ferdinand - Vidic - Evra
Beckham - Scholes - Keane - Giggs
Ronaldo - Rooney​

Robbie Boy

He would be incredible for us right now, brilliant player and absolute leader.

We’re missing leaders more than ever.
Very true. In the Fergie era, we had 5 or 6 strong leaders in the squad at any one time. Incredible when you think about it.

Revan

Assumptionman
De Gea

Neville Ferdinand Vidic Evra

Ronaldo Keane Scholes Giggs

Rooney Cantona​

Subs: Schmeichel, Stam, Irwin, Robson, Carrick, Beckham, RvN

No idea which of Rooney and Cantona is 9 and which is the 10. While unpopular now, De Gea ahead of Schmeichel didn't look too crazy a couple of years ago, and I still think that De Gea is our best ever keeper. Evra instead of Irwin could have gone either way. Stam was also incredible, but I am not breaking the best defensive partnership we ever had. RvN could have easily gone instead of one of Rooney/Cantona.

RUCK4444

Very true. In the Fergie era, we had 5 or 6 strong leaders in the squad at any one time. Incredible when you think about it.
Yeah, even though we’re in a better place than we have been for a while, we still don’t have any proper leaders on the pitch.

I honestly believe it’s a big contributor to our up and down form, we need a couple of leaders to drag the team through games.

VivaRonaldo85

Schmichael

Neville
Ferdinand
Vidic
Evra

Beckham
Keane
Scholes
Giggs

Rooney
Ronaldo

subs: Van der Sar, Stam, Irwin, Carrick, Van Nisterlrooy, Cole

Schmeichel
G. Neville, Stam Vidic Irwin
Beckham Keane Scholes
Ronaldo Cantona Tevez

Beckham as a CM where he initially started.
Playing Cantona as a false 9, but could easily be Dwight Yorke, closest example I can think of would be Firninho where i wouldn’t expect Cantona/Yorke to get many goals but his flicks and touches, making space etc would be invaluable.
Then Ronaldo and Tevez score and create

POF

Schmeichel
Irwin Stam Vidic Evra
Keane Robson
Ronaldo Scholes Giggs
RVN​

You can't leave either Vidic or Stam out of the team. They were both genuine one man defences for United during their time.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Good to see Keane being the only player EVERYONE has picked. Rio only missing out once

-------------Rooney---Cantona
Giggs---Keane---Scholes---Ronaldo
Irwin-----Stam-----Rio----------Neville
---------------Schmeichel

2nd xi

Hughes------RVN-----Solskjaer
Carrick-----Robson---Beckham
Evra---Vidic-----Johnsen-----Brown
-------------------VDS

3RD
--------------Cole-------Yorke
Kanchelskis-----Butt-----Fletcher---Nani
Oshea-----Smalling-----MCclair-----Rafael
----------------------DDG

Subs
Van Der Gouw, Pallister, Valencia, Veron, Park, Sharpe, Sheringham

Alfie092

VDS
G.Neville Rio Vidic Evra
Ronaldo Carrick Scholes Giggs
RvP Rooney

Only changes I was tempted to go with was Keane instead of Carrick and Beckham instead of Giggs, then move Ronaldo to the left. However, I grew to love Carrick so much and I like to have a team which has total control of the midfield and I feel Carrick has a wider range of passing compared to Keane. I love Becks but I do like the pacey wings with Ronaldo and Giggsy. I know RvP only had 1 brilliant season for us but in terms of his all-round play, it's better than Ruuds imo. Ruud was just a better finisher and more dangerous in the air.

If I could choose 3 bench players it would be Keane, Beckham and RvN.

Ladron de redcafe

I think they were about all that were keeping the team’s head above water during the transition seasons
They were transition years, but where was the big change from the 2005-2006 season to the next, besides selling Ruud and buying Carrick to replace the already-departed Roy Keane? The difference in performance was night and day.

Do we chalk that off to Ronaldo, Rooney maturing over night, and go Vidic and Evra settling in after having an training camp under their feet? Or do we reckon it might have more to do with the flow of the team by replacing a relatively static (but still world class) number 9 with someone who seemed to mesh with the Ronaldos and Rooneys better (Saha)?

You might be right in that it may be the former. But I think that's more of a combination of factors that includes the latter.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
-------------------------Ruud ---------------------------------
Giggs ------------------------------------------Ronaldo
--------------Keane--------------Robson------
-------------------------Scholes-------
Evra----------Stam-----------Rio---------- Irwin
-----------------------Schmeichel-------------------

Drz

Too many great players in their prime... Does my head in, because you are always going to omit someone deserving of a spot. So not going to for a classic 442 to fit as many as my favorites in there.

-----------------Schmeichel-----------------
---------------Rio-Stam-Irwin--------------
-Beckham-Keane-Robson-Giggs-
-------------------Scholes -------------------
----Cristiano----------------Cantona----

paulscholes18

Schmeichel
Irwin Stam Vidic Evra
Beckham Keane Scholes Ronaldo
Cantona Ruud

Subs
VDS
Neville
Rio
Giggs
Robson
RVP
Rooney

Red00012

-------------------------Ruud ---------------------------------
Giggs ------------------------------------------Ronaldo
--------------Keane--------------Robson------
-------------------------Scholes-------
Evra----------Stam-----------Rio---------- Irwin
-----------------------Schmeichel-------------------
Poor Scholes

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
easy...

schmeichel
Neville
Rio
Stam
Evra
Keane
Scholes
Beckham
Giggs
Ronaldo
Cantona

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
It's not just about having the best players, it's also about having the best personalities. The leaders, the champions. Hardest players to leave out for me are Rooney, Beckham and funnily enough, Evra. There are so many great strikers to choose from. RVN is the best of the bunch for me because he could do everything, but from the bench I had to plump for Andy Cole. He was an absolute goal machine, and one of the most underrated players in our recent history. Such a vital part of the treble winning team. I give almost anything to see the below team play. So many "captains" and leaders in this team.

You have to include Ronaldo, that's indisputable. Keane and Scholes have to play together, and in front of them, in a modern interpretation, Cantona would be that third advanced midfielder in the 10 role. Cantona simply has to play for the magic of the game, his ability to create something out of nothing, and his ability to feed Ronaldo and Ruud. Giggs on the left was a toss up with Rooney, but I love the fact he can go inside and out, has that extra level of pace, will infuse the team with more width, and will really provide RVN with the crosses to use his considerable aerial prowess.

At the back, Schmeichel is a shoe-in. Reflexes, leadership, aerial command and prowess of his area. The fact he almost always caught it even under pressure, None of this excessive punching nonsense. Had hands like spiderman. Last but not least though, his ability to launch lightning fast counter attacks with a ridiculously prodigious throw, is invaluable. In front of him Ferdinand and Stam are indisputably the two best center halves I've ever seen at the club. Both lightning quick at their peaks, physically dominant, aerially close to impregnable, and excellent on the ball. Fantastic reading of the game. It's probably my all time fantasy center-half pairing. Vidic was an absolute monster too, and has the natural chemistry with Ferdinand, but on an individual level, don't think he gets close to Stam. At full-back, Neville on the right seems a pretty straightforward call. Unspectacular but ever so dependent. A huge personality and leader, constant overlapping runs on the right, and very good defensively. On the other side, you have a more technical version of the same sort of recipe, in Irwin. Never had a shit game, maybe ever. I love Evra and think he provides more width and pace down that side, but I think Irwin was better defensively, and has the ability to move forward as an inverted overlapping fullback when Giggs goes wide, being naturally right footed.

Schmeichel

Ferdinand - - - - Stam
Neville - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -Irwin

Keane - - - - Scholes

Ronaldo - - - - - - Cantona - - - - - - Giggs

Van Nistelrooy

Subs: Van Der Sar, Evra, Vidic, Carrick, Beckham, Rooney, Cole
Manager: Sir Alex Ferguson
Asst: Carlos Quieroz
Chairman: David Gill
007: Sean Connery

Edit: I'm off to play Football Manager with the legends pack.

Last edited:

Bwuk

It's not just about having the best players, it's also about having the best personalities. The leaders, the champions. Hardest players to leave out for me are Rooney, Beckham and funnily enough, Evra. There are so many great strikers to choose from. RVN is the best of the bunch for me because he could do everything, but from the bench I had to plump for Andy Cole. He was an absolute goal machine, and one of the most underrated players in our recent history. Such a vital part of the treble winning team. I give almost anything to see the below team play. So many "captains" and leaders in this team.

You have to include Ronaldo, that's indisputable. Keane and Scholes have to play together, and in front of them, in a modern interpretation, Cantona would be that third advanced midfielder in the 10 role. Cantona simply has to play for the magic of the game, his ability to create something out of nothing, and his ability to feed Ronaldo and Ruud. Giggs on the left was a toss up with Rooney, but I love the fact he can go inside and out, has that extra level of pace, will infuse the team with more width, and will really provide RVN with the crosses to use his considerable aerial prowess.

At the back, Schmeichel is a shoe-in. Reflexes, leadership, aerial command and prowess of his area. The fact he almost always caught it even under pressure, None of this excessive punching nonsense. Had hands like spiderman. Last but not least though, his ability to launch lightning fast counter attacks with a ridiculously prodigious throw, is invaluable. In front of him Ferdinand and Stam are indisputably the two best center halves I've ever seen at the club. Both lightning quick at their peaks, physically dominant, aerially close to impregnable, and excellent on the ball. Fantastic reading of the game. It's probably my all time fantasy center-half pairing. Vidic was an absolute monster too, and has the natural chemistry with Ferdinand, but on an individual level, don't think he gets close to Stam. At full-back, Neville on the right seems a pretty straightforward call. Unspectacular but ever so dependent. A huge personality and leader, constant overlapping runs on the right, and very good defensively. On the other side, you have a more technical version of the same sort of recipe, in Irwin. Never had a shit game, maybe ever. I love Evra and think he provides more width and pace down that side, but I think Irwin was better defensively, and has the ability to move forward as an inverted overlapping fullback when Giggs goes wide, being naturally right footed.

Schmeichel

Ferdinand - - - - Stam

Keane - - - - Scholes

Van Nistelrooy

007: Sean Connery​
I don’t think you’d need RvN if you had Ronaldo, Ronaldo is the goal scorer in that side.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia

Schmeichel

Ferdinand - - - - Stam

Keane - - - - Scholes

Van Nistelrooy

007: Sean Connery​
Carrick stands out like a sore thumb in that squad. Try Robson, Ince or even Butt. The first two were outstanding. Great first 11 though.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
I don’t think you’d need RvN if you had Ronaldo, Ronaldo is the goal scorer in that side.
Maybe so, but then you have Ronaldo starting as a CF, and I think with peak Ronnie, you lose something significant by not having him come from a little deeper. Also, I want RVN in the side. He was lethal and provides that holding up ability that I would want the side to have. You make a fair point though, and I could easily put CR7 up front and Beckham on the right.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Carrick stands out like a sore thumb in that squad. Try Robson, Ince or even Butt. The first two were outstanding. Great first 11 though.
I'm 40, so Robson was really on the wane by the time I was of an age to really be able to appreciate players. Carrick is there, because he was a big part of the most successful era of the club, anchoring the side to three CL finals in 4 years. He's also a true sitting DM that could be brought in behind Keane and Scholes in toucher games, or play for either in the same system. I feel like he is a grossly underrated player. Not as swashbuckling as Ince, but I think a much better tactical operator, and after Scholes and Beckham, probably has the best passing range and accuracy in that squad. Hence his inclusion. Don't get me wrong though, I thought long and hard about whether to include him, Ince or Robson as the bench CM. In the end the combination of his skill set, and place amongst a gloriously successful side, were the decisive factors. But it was close.

LDUred

(4-1-3-2)
Van der Sar

Irwin Vidic Ferdinand Evra
Keane
Beckham Scholes Giggs

Ronaldo Van Nistelrooij

Personally wouldn't have Ronaldo in a team where he had to cover Evra, that just wouldn't work. You have to give him the Cantona role where he can dally about if the opposition have the ball. You can't entrust a Cristiano Ronaldo with the job of covering for a forward-minded left back.

This isn't as flamboyant as some sides but it would have had enough defensive nous.

I had a few question marks about playing Ronaldo with RVN. but while they didn't get on, that was more to do with them being at opposite ends of each of their trajectories in their time at United.

Beckham is slightly underrated these days. His set piece ability was absolutely outstanding. I wouldn't want Ronnie taking them but being on the end of them.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Who would you put in your best eleven? What formation would you go with? I'd go 433.

Schmeichel

G. Neville Ferdinand Vidic Irwin

Robson keane Scholes

Ronaldo Ruud Giggs

I can't see many teams beating this lot.
Fine team. Wish we had something half as good now!

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Schmeichel
Irwin Stam Vidic Evra
Keane Robson
Ronaldo Scholes Giggs
RVN​

You can't leave either Vidic or Stam out of the team. They were both genuine one man defences for United during their time.
I like this team.

rron10

Supports
Sir Alex
VDS

Neville Ferdinand Stam Evra

Beckham Keane Scholes Giggs

Rooney Ronaldo

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
De Gea

Neville Rio Vidic Evra

Beckham Keane Robson

Rooney Cantona Ronaldo

In the modern game, I think this overwhelms a lot of teams.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
In a 442 I’d probably keep Robbo and Keane together and have Giggs and Ronaldo giving it laldy down the wings in a 93/94 homage.
Agreed. The alternative there would be Beckham - but then again you can't really drop Ronaldo from that XI.

You could, of course, play Ronaldo left - and drop Giggs. But it seems wrong to drop Giggs too (a Fergie era XI without Giggs just looks wrong).

Question is who you go for as the front two in that set-up. The possibilities are pretty much endless.

ETA If you want to squeeze Scholes into any XI (on general principle, as it were), you could play him as a second striker. And then go for whoever you fancy as his partner. But that comes with its own set of problems. For instance, I personally wouldn't consider the younger version of Scholes (the one who actually played as a more or less pure attacker) a better second striker than Cantona - and there you go.

Can7onA

Schmeichel

Parker - - - Ferdinand - Vidic - - -Irwin

Keane - - - - Robson

Ronaldo - -Cantona - - Giggs

Van Nistelrooy

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
GK Van Der Sar

RB Irwin
CB Ferdinand
CB Pallister
LB Evra

RW Beckham
CM Robson(c)
DCM Johnsen
LW Ronaldo

A Owen
A Yorke

Last edited:

Moriarty

So overrated, that we haven't had someone come close to his level at United in a decade since, and there's very few contenders to better him as Premier league's best right back.
One of the main contenders would be a guy we had who barely ever played there in Irwin!
Paul Parker. Great right back.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Hard for me to choose overall, so I’ll go for what team would probably “fit” best together in the modern game.

VDS
Neville Rio Vidic Evra
Keane Robson
Beckham Rooney Ronaldo
RvP

Keane and Robson provide plenty of legs in the midfield, and Rooney and Beckham would track well to provide help and pressing all over while Ronaldo and RvP hang up top.

Evra overlapping all day while Ronaldo cuts inside. Neville playing more narrow with Beckham delivering crosses for days into Rooney/RvP/ and Ronaldo at the back post.

Just a different take on things and I realize it’s sacrilege leaving out Ruud/Cantona but RvP in his first season for us was possibly the best striker in the world and also technically world class that would help provide for CR and Rooney as well.