Manchester United Goals and Assists (1987/88-today)

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
I thought these were interesting...

Top goalscorers at the end of season.

Top assisters at the end of season.

Last edited:

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Dennis Law 46 goals in 1 season...brilliant!

Ronaldo may have beaten that but has dedicated many prime years to Real Madrid :/

Giggs' assist stats are mindblowing...what a player.

Also, when you read all this...it makes you realise what a legend Rooney is!

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Cheers!

And some more tables where Giggs flat out dominates yet again.

Top assisters>goalscorers combinations.

Last edited:

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Found this interesting a bit as well...

Top non-assisted goalscorers.

When I was watching the goals, certainly first noticed Kanchelskis and a lot of his solo actions that led to goals. He gave me an idea for this table.

Last edited:

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
I'm honestly surprised that Rooney has that many unassisted goals. In this stat, are penalties and free kicks counted as assisted?

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
I'm honestly surprised that Rooney has that many unassisted goals. In this stat, are penalties and free kicks counted as assisted?
Yep, counted. Basically same as transfermarkt and Opta's for fantasy premier league, but with a bit more common sense. Or so I would like to believe. More about it in first post of thread.

Don't think Rooney's that high in that regard, more in the vein of other excellent strikers like Cole, or van Persie/Nistelrooy. One might read those stats seeing that they have something more in them, that they can more easily make themselves in a position to score than some others.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
Yep, counted. Basically same as transfermarkt and Opta's for fantasy premier league, but with a bit more common sense. Or so I would like to believe. More about it in first post of thread.

Don't think Rooney's that high in that regard, more in the vein of other excellent strikers like Cole, or van Persie/Nistelrooy. One might read those stats seeing that they have something more in them, that they can more easily make themselves in a position to score than some others.
Sure his ratio of unassisted goals to total goals isn't as good as Cristiano's or Giggsy's, but 14% is still more than I would guessed for Wayne. Off the top of my head I'm remembering a lot of headers, late runs in the box, etc, all the types of goals that are assisted. I'm curious; was his overhead kick against City counted as assisted, even though Nani's cross was deflected?

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Why is Lee Martin not credited with the FA Cup replayed final 1990 goal?
Ah, one does not forget a goals such as that. He was credited, I guess you were looking at the other Lee Martin. I put one as Lee A. Martin (one you think about), and other (more recent) as Lee R. Martin.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Sure his ratio of unassisted goals to total goals isn't as good as Cristiano's or Giggsy's, but 14% is still more than I would guessed for Wayne. Off the top of my head I'm remembering a lot of headers, late runs in the box, etc, all the types of goals that are assisted. I'm curious; was his overhead kick against City counted as assisted, even though Nani's cross was deflected?
12th February 2011, right? Yep, have Nani as assisted. If the ball's trajectory is not significantly altered when passed or crossed, I gave an assist.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
12th February 2011, right? Yep, have Nani as assisted. If the ball's trajectory is not significantly altered when passed or crossed, I gave an assist.
Cool thanks for clearing it up. Brilliant thread by the way, absolutely brilliant, thanks a lot for compiling all the data!

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Brilliant thread. Mods if there ever was a thread to make sticky then here it is.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Damn, this truly is an incredible piece of work. At first I was dubious when I opened up the OP. I thought it was going to be one of those threads where everyone works together to compile all the stats, but doubted how long it would last.

Didn't need to worry, @Mrs Smoker did all the research alone. An absolutely brilliant effort and nicely presented. Well done.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Cheeky response time:

When it comes to stickying the thread or creating a separate thread with just your research it might be worth just going through some of the wrtie-ups for typos. I found this one one page 3.

Domestic cup runs weren't bad though. Liverpool did beat us in 5th round of FA Cup, but we did won the League Cup with a strong win over Wigan 4-0.
It also might be worth removing references to the current season, as these references will be out of date in a few months time.

Best friends in United, neither with United anymore. Park retired, while Evra continued his career in Juventus from this season on.
I am being quite anal I guess, but it's only because I'm in awe of all the time and effort you've put in to this.

Lastly, and this is the really cheeky part, if you fancy deviating away from just scorers and assists, perhaps you could do a goalkeeper table, with clean sheets, and any other stats you deem pertinent.
(you did ask for more suggestions :nervous:)

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
In my defense, I'm not a native English speaker, but me am still well good. ;)

(fixed those)

As for goalkeepers, not cheeky at all, think I might fancy doing that, though, save for clean sheets, what more can we post about? For De Gea maybe there are some additional statistics kept somewhere, but doubt there are for older ones...

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
This thread is brilliant. Ridiculous how many assists Giggs has accumulated over the years.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
My god what a thread. . Giggs holy crap balls

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Van Gaal should be made to read this thread, and stop wasting Rooney in a positon he has massively limited chances of goals or assists.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Ah, one does not forget a goals such as that. He was credited, I guess you were looking at the other Lee Martin. I put one as Lee A. Martin (one you think about), and other (more recent) as Lee R. Martin.

Where do you get the assists and the other color coded figures?

I would like to see this site or database or whatever.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Yeah, took a month or two, but it was quite fun, saw again (or for the first time) some absolute beauties. Got to know more about United from Fergie's early time. Time well spent, I say.

Link should be this. Just a simple excel sheet, and not too pretty. I tried to be as thorough as possible, but if you see some errors, please let me know!

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
I thought these were interesting...

Top goalscorers at the end of season.

Top assisters at the end of season.

Funny how my old friend Nani seems to be near the top on most of these tables you have posted even though he apparently has only ever had one good season for us. This as well as him probably playing nowhere near the amount of games most of the other players on the list did. But yet he is inconsistent apparently.....

Last edited:

m1y2

Yorke in treble season 29+22 and Ruud with 44+10 02/03, insane numbers and immense thread! Really appreciate that

kidbob

Goals and assists from dead ball situations would be pretty handy if possible? Brilliant work on compiling this by the way.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
How about a table with goal scored in which minute?
Not sure how to present that. I have the data of when the goals are scored (though, 45 and 90 are the last, no 45+1, or 92, etc. just left it 45 and 90), but what to do with it? Will tinker about it...You have any idea for presentation?

Goals and assists from dead ball situations would be pretty handy if possible? Brilliant work on compiling this by the way.
I've tracked goals that were scored from free kicks, penalties, and rebounds, but not corners. That enough? Too bad, would be nice to have those too, just didn't think to use them at that time. Another rewatch would be needed now, but we'll leave that for a future. :D