Manchester United Goals and Assists (1987/88-today)

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Not sure how to present that. I have the data of when the goals are scored (though, 45 and 90 are the last, no 45+1, or 92, etc. just left it 45 and 90), but what to do with it? Will tinker about it...You have any idea for presentation?
The only way i believe this could work is by dividing the 90 minutes into 6 zones of 15 minutes (1-15, 16-30, 31-45/ 46-60, 61-75, 76-90). Maybe a special mention to the goals scored in injury time should be added, mainly because it's a characteristic of the Ferguson era. I don't think that a more analytic board (goals per minute, for instance) would offer much more from a statistical view because it would be very random.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Went on a YouTube nostalgia hunt and enjoyed this.

07/08 goals, quality isn't great but there is original commentary included in the highlights.

That Nani goal where he cuts inside across the penalty box against Liverpool. Amazing.

The second half is a beautiful Ronaldo highlight reel.

Last edited:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Sorry to bother you @Mrs Smoker but do you have a list for 'decisive' goals (equalizers or match-winners) for certain players and a list for the number of points they've won as a result? Apologies if it has been posted already or if it's too much hassle to do one.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
@Joga Bonito

Don't have it now, but I imagine it shouldn't be too hard to find. I have the data of United players' scoring time, just have to find the opponents one. Maybe after season's end? I do plan to update all that's updatable, and maybe something more...

Btw, what is a winner? Just goal for, dunno...2-1 or 1-0, but not a single one in 3-0 win?

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
@Joga Bonito

Don't have it now, but I imagine it shouldn't be too hard to find. I have the data of United players' scoring time, just have to find the opponents one. Maybe after season's end? I do plan to update all that's updatable, and maybe something more...

Btw, what is a winner? Just goal for, dunno...2-1 or 1-0, but not a single one in 3-0 win?
I guess the first one in a 3-0 win should be counted as the 'winner' - so to say, since the other 2 are fundamentally icings on the cake (they aren't but you get my point).

Oh and take your time, no hurry. Just curious with the match-winning/decisive goal debates (Ronaldo in last season's Champions league for example) and also would like to see who has won the most points for United.

Great thread btw.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
What an amazing thread and brilliant research. Well done.

A few things.

1. You have spelt Denis Law wrong in the tables…there is only one 'n' in Denis.
2. You have missed the Anglo Italian Cup competition where Bobby Charlton scored twice and for some reason all the records don't show this. I have spoken to Mark Wylie at the United Museum who agrees but the club won't pay for all the changes to the all the records as it will take too long. Crazy reason.
3. Denis Law also played one and scored one in the Anglo Italian Cup and this needs adding.

If you look at other clubs like Newcastle, Blackpool, Swindon etc they all include the Anglo Italian Cup because it was an official FL competition.

So Charlton's appearance tally should be 609 and goals tally should be 251. If you want to be 100% accurate.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
I didn't know about that competition, very interesting, thanks a bunch. Will certainly add it. Tough break, Rooney! :D

There are also Football League Centenary Tournament and Mercantile Credit Centenary Trophy, how about those? Though, they have been played as 40 minute or 60 minute matches, so better probably not to include them.

Denis is now Denis on my spreadsheet, have to just update images (will do soon after the season ends).

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
I didn't know about that competition, very interesting, thanks a bunch. Will certainly add it. Tough break, Rooney! :D

There are also Football League Centenary Tournament and Mercantile Credit Centenary Trophy, how about those? Though, they have been played as 40 minute or 60 minute matches, so better probably not to include them.

Denis is now Denis on my spreadsheet, have to just update images (will do soon after the season ends).
Here is a link for the Anglo Italian Cup

http://www.stretfordend.co.uk/competitions/angloitalian.html

The Centenary Tournament was counted as a friendly so I wouldn't add it.

The Mercantile Credit was an approved competition by the Football League. I didn't mention it as Charlton and Law were long retired obviously but I count appearances and goals in my personal records.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
On a rewatch now. Purpose is to double check the data, update the tables, fix errors (like those mentioned above), and to see some pretty awesome goals again. Will also post complete tables, with some new additions like corner goals, goals 'from' free kicks (so, to note when the pass from free kick resulted in goal), limb with which the goals were scored and what was the result in the time of each goal (@Joga Bonito might be interested in that). Here's the table for 1987-88 season, to see what I mean.

A lot more to come in the coming weeks...

EDIT: There's a new thread for this.

Last edited:

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
All goals of 1987-88 season in gfycat form: link

Sorted by date and minute. Check the image above, leftmost column is for the order in which the goals were scored.

Long term plan is to archive *every* United goal with video source. We'll see how succesful we'll be at that.

Last edited:

Member 55725

Gifs of every goal aswell! It gets better and better. Brilliant stuff.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
GIF links too? Fantastic stuff. Can't wait for the later years.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Cheers, guys.

Takes me day, day and a half (2-4 hours of actual work) for a season, so hopefully 1987-2015 will be done before Summer Tour.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
1990-91. Cool 101 goals were scored, with #100 being one of my all time favourites. Sir Ryan of Giggs scored his first ever goal in this season (and the only one in the season). Still not sure if he actually touched it. It's #97 for those interested. :cool:

All the goals are here: link

Whan an angle!

Last edited:
Season 2014-15

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Time for update.

A lot of previous images were updated to reflect the changes brought by 2014-15 season. Some errors were fixed as well, and there are some new, hopefully interesting things as well.

First, a quick recap of 2014-15 season.

==============2014-15==============

New season, new manager, new big faces in changing room, and a lot of huge departures. Got the top 4 place at the end, and hopefully laid a foundation for more successful future. Least goals since 1989-90 season though.

Notable departures

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Next up, something that @kidbob asked, and I've seen it often mentioned around the forums. Type of an assist. Are they from set pieces (corners, free kicks, throw ins), rebounds or fouls that led to scored penalties or free kicks.

With such a huge amount of assists, no wonder Giggs is on top of everything, but still interesting to see "strenght" of some other players. Beckham's excellent from set pieces, Cantona's from "pure" assists. And Irwin was an always reliable corner taker.

EDIT (11-8-15): Updated. Was missing 2007-08 season.

Last edited:

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
And just for fun, "winning goals". @Joga Bonito , meant something like this?

Just for a bit of fun, don't take it too seriously. The winning goal is every goal that was "enough" for our win. So, 1-0, second goal in 2-1 win, 3rd in 3-2, second in 3-1, etc. etc. Of course, it doesn't really work that way in real life.

kidbob

@Mrs Smoker Unbelievable work! Had an inkling that a lot of Rooney's assists were from open play rather than the set piece 'padding' some on here would have you believe. Giggs was a freak, has to go down as one of the best wingers there's been.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
@Mrs Smoker Unbelievable work! Had an inkling that a lot of Rooney's assists were from open play rather than the set piece 'padding' some on here would have you believe. Giggs was a freak, has to go down as one of the best wingers there's been.

Not exactly a classical #10 by any means but a great second striker back then, with the right blend of brains and brawn.

kidbob

Not exactly a classical #10 by any means but a great second striker back then, with the right blend of brains and brawn.
Great video. I'm still a fan of his although I do acknowledge he has regressed. We all talk of having a prime Keane or Scholes etc in todays side but having this Rooney in the team would be massive for us and add so much threat. Here's hoping that with the right supply he can get us a good goal return this year.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Cool. Cool, cool, cool. :D

That's pretty great really, hope they like it and have some use of.

Still have some images to update in other thread , as well as whole of 2007-08 season in video form.

RooneyLegend

Yet some think Rooney isn't a legend. He probably has the best or 2nd best G+A/Games ratio on the list.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
That had to be time-consuming!

Would you be willing to share the table? Or perhaps offer to post on one of the numerous United websites?
Hey there, @MrMarcello

A long time ago you asked me for a copy of excel sheet where I did this, per any chance you still have it? Or anyone else that might've downloaded it? Had a catastrophic hard drive failure, lost pretty much everything, and of course, had no back-up. Stupid. :(

Seven Seas Sardines

What happened to the goals/assists thread for the current season? Can't there be a sticky in the Player Performances Forum? I want to look at our statistics after every game to see how we are doing and how the goals are spread around the team, if Mkhi winning a penalty last night counts as an assist etc..