Manchester United: Have fans reluctantly accepted their team's 'B-List' status

Godfather

There's nothing wrong with applauding when the team does some good things, and trying to be positive. When City were awful 20 years ago, their fans barracked the players relentlessly. Went to a few games and it was terrible.

But the fans singing Mourinho's name need to give their head a wobble. Unless they genuinely think he's doing a good job, their only motivation is looking like a great fan for the TV cameras. They're part of the problem, not the solution.
A lucky 2-2 against Arse at home is nothing to applaud for

Siorac

The club's spirit is broken. What do you want fans to do?
Fans can't even agree on if a manager that has just 8th with a negatiations GD after almost half the season should go.
That the club's criteria for scaling a manager is when is cheap to do so is a disgrace.
For starters, we should be hounding out the prick in the dugout, not sing his name and lap up his nonsense.

-1 goal difference after 15 games. Feels surreal.

Mainoldo

Applauding the affort that the players put in on the pitch last night does not proclude one from being dissatisfied with the manager, board, or £170m of substitutes that looked more fatigued than those who had run for 75 minutes already.

At one point after Lukaku came on he was slowly ambling forward to press inaffectively, when Rashford sprinted past him to track back half the pitch. There is no doubt that some of the players are trying harder than others, and deserve praise for it.
It does though! If your husband cheats and you take him back. Your accepting his actions. What’s the difference.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
For starters, we should be hounding out the prick in the dugout, not sing his name and lap up his nonsense.

-1 goal difference after 15 games. Feels surreal.
Was his name sung yesterday?. I know a lot of match goers that want him out.
I'm not too comfortable with hounding a man out of his job.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Well the second question is quite easy to answer. We are a shitty run club.
feck knows why OT going fans are not turning on Mou though
One of the worst run big clubs. Increadible how we broke apart after Sir Alex

Hamadovich86

Match going fans are extremely loyal to the manager it seems, or maybe its them being polite by not booing at OT. They didnt even boo Moyes late in his season! I think its more of an etiquette thing, i'm fairly confident that now the majority of fans want him gone. Mourinho tried his best to portray the club as this fallen warrior whos past his prime but we've seen from Pool, Plastics and Gooners that this need not be the case and that a good manager can have the team playing good football relatively quickly. What takes time is becoming actual title contenders with a winning mentality thats far more difficult to achieve.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I a fine with that but, if you want to be the fanbase that does not hound out managers you can not also be the fanbase that boos players.

Fracture90

Fans showing appreciation of a game where we actually had a good and played some decent stuff. Is that wrong now? Keep seeing posts where people want good attacking attractive football over dull effective football. I enjoyed the game immensely. For me United will never be a B list anything.
Other than opening 5-10 minutes where we pressed like a team, it wasn't really that much different to other games we played this season. We weren't effective nor were we attacking, we haven't created a single clear cut chance, or any chance tbh, whilst Arsenal had few.

Judas

Open to offers
The only reason people may have been fooled into thinking yesterday was a good display is because Arsenal were just as laughable at the back as we were.

pascell

These fans clapped at the final whistle when Tottenham humiliated us in our own backyard. Are people even suprised.

I mean they get to feel good about themselves for scoring top reds points while all I see are a bunch of guillible sheep embarrassing themselves.
You mean people like myself that stick with the club through thick and thin, not some impatient glory hunter who spits his dummy out if we're not doing things the way you want us to. Those who are there in the stadium have every right to cheer, clap and chant as we please as we've paid good money to be there, so get off your fecking high horse.

Siorac

He'll get a £15m payoff, it's not like we'll be chucking him out to the streets.

AndyJ1985

Standards have slowly been slipping for years now. We are indeed at the point where being the plucky underdog and battling to a draw is cheered by sections of fans.

Everyone better strap in and get comfy, because our mediocrity isn't about to change any time soon. The board aren't arsed and the match going fans aren't arsed. We have gone exactly the same way as Liverpool did after their success came to an end.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
You mean people like myself that stick with the club through thick and thin, not some impatient glory hunter who spits his dummy out if we're not doing things the way you want us to. Those who are there in the stadium have every right to cheer, clap and chant as we please as we've paid good money to be there, so get off your fecking high horse.
It's not even about paying good money. Clapping, chanting and cheering is the whole point of going to matches, people that goes with the intent of being negative are weirdos.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Standards have slowly been slipping for years now. We are indeed at the point where being the plucky underdog and battling to a draw is cheered by sections of fans.

Everyone better strap in and get comfy, because our mediocrity isn't about to change any time soon. The board aren't arsed and the match going fans aren't arsed. We have gone exactly the same way as Liverpool did after their success came to an end.
The board have gone pretty much full-Arsenal, I agree, but I disagree match-goers aren't arsed with the state of the club. Thinking they should be more vocal/visible in their anger is an opinion but for me the fact most aren't doing so doesn't mean they're not arsed.

AndyJ1985

The board have gone pretty much full-Arsenal, I agree, but I disagree match-goers aren't arsed with the state of the club. Thinking they should be more vocal/visible in their anger is an opinion but for me the fact most aren't doing so doesn't mean they're not arsed.
If match going fans do care but choose to do nothing about it that is even worse. You'd never see this accepted at any other elite European club. Although tbf it's difficult to argue we're an elite European club anymore, aside from the revenue we generate.

JohnnyKills

A lucky 2-2 against Arse at home is nothing to applaud for
What's the alternative though? Booing because we didn't win?

I've only booed on two or three occasions at OT and tbh I'm not sure it served any purpose.

But you can be constructive and supportive without singing the name of a manager who's clearly lost the plot.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Just because a lot of Man Utd fans are realistic about our chances this season doesn’t mean anyone has accepted being second best.

Otherwise, what been the fecking point of any of this?
Um what? We're 8th, have negative goal difference and going into Xmas period. You think that's acceptable? You think that's the expectations we all had going into this season?

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Yes, and realistically we’re going to finish 5th at the very best. How is that not being realistic?
I can't see us finishing 5th. They are at least 5 better sides than us in the league.

But with our resources we should easily be a top 3 team. Anything less and questions should be asked.. The fact that none are being asked and the current management is still in job while we are 8th in December with a negative goal difference speaks volumes

Red_toad

You’re on fecking drugs if you thought that was a good performance. It did have elements of good entertainment for the neutral though given how low quality it was.
How polite of you to think I’m abusing drug as I have an opinion. I enjoyed the game it was entertaining, no need to abuse me over my post and my opinion!

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
There could be more booing, there could be more empty seats, there could be more banners. Those are things other fan bases have done when their club has hit the skids, but because we're trying to support our team through it we've somehow accepted our place on the 'B-list'.
That's the irony. Our supporters a fiercely loyal and largely remain supportive even in bad times. But trust people to try and knock them for it

LingiBW

Manchester United fans confuse backing the club 100% and not accepting mediocrity from a manager. Mourinho isn't doing enough to still be in the job, but because we as fans still have memories of a SAF figure in our minds we seem not to believe that a manager can be questioned even when its clear as daylight that every passing game we are sinking further and further.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
If match going fans do care but choose to do nothing about it that is even worse. You'd never see this accepted at any other elite European club. Although tbf it's difficult to argue we're an elite European club anymore, aside from the revenue we generate.
Maybe. I can't get behind telling match-goers what they should and shouldn't do when they've paid money to be at a match, short of illegality/blatant dickheadedness. I agree we're probably behind the curve in terms of showing visible dissent, but I don't see that as necessarily a good or a bad thing. It's most likely a symptom of having everything rock solid under Fergie for so long, so while I accept the point of view that we need to now be better at collectively agitating for change, when I'm at a match I won't be telling others what to chant and whether or not to boo and I wouldn't appreciate others doing the same to me.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Maybe. I can't get behind telling match-goers what they should and shouldn't do when they've paid money to be at a match, short of illegality/blatant dickheadedness. I agree we're probably behind the curve in terms of showing visible dissent, but I don't see that as necessarily a good or a bad thing. It's most likely a symptom of having everything rock solid under Fergie for so long, so while I accept the point of view that we need to now be better at collectively agitating for change, when I'm at a match I won't be telling others what to chant and whether or not to boo and I wouldn't appreciate others doing the same to me.
I think the issue isn’t telling someone what to do. It’s the fact they need telling. I get that having Fergie May have skewed how we think, but the issue for me is that there is such a bitter divide between “in” and “out” that people no longer think rationally, and instead are entrenched in their view. Regardless of what impact Fergie and his longevity had, its madness at this stage to be backing this manager.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I think you're both right. There's nothing he says that's wrong as such but what else does he expect rational fans to do? Every United fan I speak to is deeply displeased at where we are and seem to be heading but what does repeating 'we're Man United, this shouldn't be happening' over and again get us? McNulty writes like a bloke who wants to see the rending of clothing in the stands and has been left disappointed.

There could be more booing, there could be more empty seats, there could be more banners. Those are things other fan bases have done when their club has hit the skids, but because we're trying to support our team through it we've somehow accepted our place on the 'B-list'.
Supporting your club is about bringing it back to its feet - not buying an alcoholic more drinks.

Godfather

What's the alternative though? Booing because we didn't win?

I've only booed on two or three occasions at OT and tbh I'm not sure it served any purpose.

But you can be constructive and supportive without singing the name of a manager who's clearly lost the plot.
Yes booing. And banners. Let that fecker on the touchline know he is no longer wanted here. For each and every game. Although some of our fans seem brainfecked enough to actually still support Mourinho.

Chairman Steve

Maybe only for this season, or at this point at least.

The manager clearly doesn’t want to be here. The team still looks disjointed under said manager in his 3rd season and after 6 transfer windows. The board doesn’t appear to have a clue what to do next, from the start of the year backing the manager to not backing him in the summer after finishing the season so adequately. The word ‘proactive’ really doesn’t appear to be in their vocabulary and knowing them, they probably wouldn’t sack the manager who doesn’t want to be here and cannot get results until it is mathematically impossible to get into next seasons Champions League... which is infuriating considering there’s plenty of clubs out there that have rescued their season from a change, teams that have avoided relegation altogether after looking like certs to be relegated and teams winning trophies after looking hopeless in the first half of the season.

The football is a visual dose of Ambien in how disjointed it is, and how disappointing it is considering the individuals on display...and again this is this managers 3rd fecking season. It doesn’t even have to be amazing football, it can be just functional yet efficient football like this manager’s specialty is.

So yeah with all those factors, it’s hard to get excited to be honest. I knew it wasn’t going to work after the Spurs OT loss. That was my turning point.

Last edited:

Maticmaker

Nulty, once again spouting the 'bl**ding obvious and failing to understand the need for Mourhino to field that team and play that way. Injuries aside Jose knows when you find yourself digging yourself into a hole, first thing to do is stop digging! Jose put out a team that would maybe lack the overall skills of Arsenal, but would match them for determination and spirit.
I enjoyed it, a refreshing change, 'decking' the opposition when necessary, asking no quarter and none given, Arsenal physio will be busy this morning. It was a battle that Arsenal, surprisingly given their past performances, were up for as well. Worth battling though the nightmare of evening Manchester traffic to see.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Yes booing. And banners. Let that fecker on the touchline know he is no longer wanted here. For each and every game. Although some of our fans seem brainfecked enough to actually still support Mourinho.
They could still song for the team and players but do not sing songs about Jose. Singing his songs is being seen as supporting him. Support the team, but do not massage Jose's ego.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I think the issue isn’t telling someone what to do. It’s the fact they need telling. I get that having Fergie May have skewed how we think, but the issue for me is that there is such a bitter divide between “in” and “out” that people no longer think rationally, and instead are entrenched in their view. Regardless of what impact Fergie and his longevity had, its madness at this stage to be backing this manager.
Fair enough. I've been firmly Jose out for the majority of this season, as have pretty much all the United fans I know personally, and I have no truck with the view that 'we support the manager at United'. Regardless of the problems on the board, in the squad etc. we're going nowhere under Jose and he needs to go.

However I see no problem with fans cheering the side, cheering goals, chanting '20 times' and the like and refraining from booing. Equally if you want to boo at half time, boo at full time, chant 'Jose out' or whatever that's fine too. I just don't see what fans in the former camp are doing wrong, they're just supporting the team in the way that suits them.

acnumber9

They could still song for the team and players but do not sing songs about Jose. Singing his songs is being seen as supporting him. Support the team, but do not massage Jose's ego.
Instead massage the players that don’t care whether we win or lose egos?

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Supporting your club is about bringing it back to its feet - not buying an alcoholic more drinks.
I've got nothing bad to say about a fan who can be bothered to get down to Old Trafford and sing '20 times, 20 times Man United' during hapless performances. Jose is a villain of the piece, the board members are villains, the players to varying degrees can be seen as villains, those fans aren't for me.

Paul_Scholes18

Maybe people against Mourinho has stopped going to the games and he mainly gets the supporters left? I think the people wanting Mourinho gone are just so down they don't ever bother to do something since the fools near the top will not do anything anyway. They will just keep Mourinho even if we are shit.

I did think we played alright yesterday though. Lots of spirit in some of our players, but Mourinho is holding everyone back a lot.

acnumber9

You think they like being booed and having every Tom, Dick and Harry saying they are rubbish? Of course they care.
They don’t seem to care enough to put the effort in to do something about it at times. Mourinho has brought some of it on himself at times by persisting with certain players though.

Ibrahimorich

He won't get sacked until it's mathematically impossible to get top 4 or we start losing to the bottom teams. None of booing, chanting, banners or planes will do anything to change that. So people may as well get behind the team.

The Purley King

McNulty is a twat, but its hard to disagree with anything he's written on this one.
A not insubstantial percentage of fans have been brainwashed by Mourinho's constant "we can't compete" bullshit so that a 2-2 draw with a pretty average Arsenal side who traditionally shit the bed at OT (and who tried their best to shit the bed again last night) is OK because we put in a bit of effort and its held up as a good night's work.
Its not good. Its a long fecking way from good.

Am reminded of that scene in Fight Club when Brad Pitt is on the plane and talking about all the dosed up passengers meekly accepting their fate when the plane is plummeting to the ground.

Jose has really done a number on people and the sad thing is that its worked.