Manchester United is not Manchester

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen86

I certainly consider myself as superior to most fans. The caf really needs a blue badge system to identify us locals and our dedication to the club.

RyRy11

What's this weird obsession with gatekeeping in sports? I couldn't give feck if someone thinks im more or less of a fan, I support my team and have done since I was a kid.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I’m not from Manchester but I have been to Manchester and am interested in the city. I think it’s something you have to take some care in. The club is more than just a name

TheReligion

Abusive
I’m not sure how you can claim to support United but want to shit on Manchester.

Quite shameful really.

Those fans from outside the city would have far more respect if they made an effort to engage with, and understand, the culture and history of the club, rather than giving it the big one.

* For the record, plenty of overseas fans do actually do this and have my utmost respect.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
This is not good way to campaign.
Agreed. "Putting the Manchester back in Manchester United" is better
As a mancunian, I'm very happy about our global fanbase. I love it that millions of reds across the planet celebrate and suffer as one tribe.

This is truly pathetic though. If you don't understand how the city and the club are intertwined then United is just a meaningless franchise to you. The stadium is there, real, in the middle of our community. We're a historic club, built out of a century of toil in this city.

Mancunian fans aren't innately superior to non-mancunians, just as match-going fans don't have the monopoly on opinions. But we're more than just a global sports brand that magically appears on your screens. We're real and rooted.
Saying you don't care about Manchester on a Manchester United forum is not only inflammatory its ignorant and sad. How can you not see that :lol: bless your little cotton socks.
You lost me when you said you don’t give a feck about Manchester @Shakesey

Shitty thing to say
You are undoubtedly 'special' - embarrassed to have people who think like you in our fanbase

And that's nothing to do with being an overseas fan - most do understand how important the 'Manchester' bit of Manchester United is
Ooookay... I guess I shouldn't have said "I don't give a feck about Manchester".

I should have written, "Manchester is just the city. I support the club".

So, I apologise to anyone I might have offended.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
I'd sooner not have it anywhere.
Agreed, but at least when it's in it's own thread you can easily ignore it. Having it clutter the other thread that people go into for much more important information and opinions was terrible.
I vote for it to be deleted. It didn't go as well as I hoped. I was banking on all foreign fans to unite, but instead all fans united against the inflammatory OP. Which, I guess, is a victory in itself. I did, after all, want posters to unite.

CallyRed

I’m not sure how you can claim to support United but want to shit on Manchester.

Quite shameful really.

Those fans from outside the city would have far more respect if they made an effort to engage with, and understand, the culture and history of the club, rather than giving it the big one.

* For the record, plenty of overseas fans do actually do this and have my utmost respect.
It's the franchise mentality.

tenpoless

I enjoy watching the club both during the bad days and the good days
On the bad days I meme around
On the good days I get to talk shit about another club at work
It's a top value entertainment I'm getting for a cheap MUTV sub (plus VPN sub in order to access it because me no live in UK)
What people think of me doesn't matter. Entertainment is what I'm after. I'm happy, happy new year

stevoc

Agreed, but at least when it's in it's own thread you can easily ignore it. Having it clutter the other thread that people go into for much more important information and opinions was terrible.
Agreed but it had largely ran its course.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
I enjoy watching the club both during the bad days and the good days
On the bad days I meme around
On the good days I get to talk shit about another club at work
It's a top value entertainment I'm getting for a cheap MUTV sub (plus VPN sub in order to access it)
What people think of me doesn't matter. Entertainment is what I'm after. I'm happy, happy new year
Agreed but it had largely ran its course.
This train smash of a thread was about to disappear into oblivion, then you two raised it again.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Who's starting the "should everyone on redcafe move to Manchester" thread?

Could all have massive houseshares.

Neil67

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2021/22
How can you not be interested in Manchester the city when supporting United?

Manchester is all about football either Red or Blue, you get up and go into the town the morning of the game and it’s all about the football.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
How can you not be interested in Manchester the city when supporting United?

Manchester is all about football either Red or Blue, you get up and go into the town the morning of the game and it’s all about the football.
Manchester is all about kids on the same street walking along the road to old Maine Road, some in red and some in blue, before they grow up and start fighting one another. And then one of the United fans is killed and everyone suspects it was a City fan so Sam Tyler, Gene and Annie have to go undercover in a City pub to find out what happened, despite Sam still struggling with the notion that he's travelled back in time to the 1970s. That may just be the show Life on Mars.

UpWithRivers

I know this is a wind up but I'm genuinely curious. What does living in Manchester give you over other fans? Is it just that you are located nearer? So if you are 3 miles from Old Trafford you are a topper red than 4 miles away? Or are they seen as spending more money? Attend more matches? What is it that they think makes them better?

bringbackbebe

I'm not from Manchester (or England for that matter), but I believe the club and the location are inseparable, with the locals contributing most to shaping it's identity over the last century. Global following was limited for United before early 2000s.

Taking the pride away from the local match going fans and equating them to the same level as internet WUMS is basically humiliating the identity of the club.

BuzzKillington

I know this is a wind up but I'm genuinely curious. What does living in Manchester give you over other fans? Is it just that you are located nearer? So if you are 3 miles from Old Trafford you are a topper red than 4 miles away? Or are they seen as spending more money? Attend more matches? What is it that they think makes them better?
As a local fan myself, I think the argument goes that local fans support the club because they are their local team. The support continues regardless of what the team does trophy wise and their support isn’t tainted by the question of glory hunting.

I don’t personally agree with any of that as I’ve always held to the thought that if you support United you’re a United fan, regardless of where you’re from. Ive spent days defending Uniteds out of town support from the above accusations from my bitter mates.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
A note to all the passionate Mancunians out there:

Manchester United is YOUR club. You were raised in Manchester. You live and breathe the club.

Now, your success has been so remarkable that it’s gone global. There is feck all you can do about it. Manchester United now belongs to us all and we are all contributing to the club's unparalleled success. My suggestion is, rather than claim ownership based on location, perhaps it is better to be proud of your city's legacy and accept that we all share a common love.

Who here has read the Little Prince? Fantastic book. In MY world I have tamed Manchester United and it has tamed me. It is MY club, because of all the time I’ve dedicated to it.

To quote the fox: “It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important…"

I honestly don’t give a feck about Manchester. EDIT: I don't really care about the city. I care very deeply about Manchester United. Now, if someone tells me they are a "superior" or a "more important" fan of MY club, because they live in the city then it just seems really, really petty.

We’re on the same team for god’s sake. Chill out and get with the times.
What a strange post.
I mean, what difference does it make where supporters like me are from.
Manchester United are, have been and always will be in Manchester.
I don't support Manchester United because they are in Manchester.
I support them because of who they are.

spiriticon

We should be situated in the Isle of Man. Less taxes.

Isle of Man United. Even the name fits. Lets do it.

Herman Toothrot

No it isn’t. It’s in Stretford.

…runs for cover…
Well indeed, falls under Trafford Council officially. MCC would have had their filthy hands all over us if they could have. They would adore Qatar. Selling off Manchester to foreign investors is kind of their modus operandi.

Neil67

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2021/22
Manchester is all about kids on the same street walking along the road to old Maine Road, some in red and some in blue, before they grow up and start fighting one another. And then one of the United fans is killed and everyone suspects it was a City fan so Sam Tyler, Gene and Annie have to go undercover in a City pub to find out what happened, despite Sam still struggling with the notion that he's travelled back in time to the 1970s. That may just be the show Life on Mars.
Life On Mars, now that was a brilliant TV series.

Irrational.

What's this weird obsession with gatekeeping in sports? I couldn't give feck if someone thinks im more or less of a fan, I support my team and have done since I was a kid.
We have many armchair gatekeepers who feel it is necessary to rank fans based upon where their mother gave birth (as if they had a say in it).

The only true fans are those that were conceived on the hallowed grounds of Old Trafford.

Even the foreign United players aren’t spared. They can’t even speak proper Englund.

Status
Not open for further replies.