Manchester United Leeds United Rivalry

Deery

Dreary
Got two Leeds fans in my family and they’re staunch ABU fans so feck them..

Mr Smith

One thing that I am hoping somebody here can elucidate: why are Leeds such a big club in the eyes of the media and footballing world? People talk about their history, but they are no where near other teams in terms of honours. Pretty sure Sunderland and Newcastle both have more cups than them in their history. Both them and Huddersfield have three domestic league trophies each. So what is all the history stuff about? Don Revvie only won one title didn’t he? The way that era is talked about, you would think that Leeds had dominated the 70s like Liverpool in the 80s and United In the 90s.
They are remembered for a couple of notable eras. One was Don Revie's side in the 70's; I think they only actually won two league titles but they were always there or thereabouts, if they didn't win it they would always be the runner up. They had the same core of players for a long time, Billie Bremner, Johnny Giles, etc. Really talented but notoriously dirty as well. They also reached a European Cup final in the early 70's.

The second era is the late 90's/early 2000's, where they had a really exciting young side, and were going deep in Europe. But they were horribly managed financially, and one poor season when they dropped out of Europe saw them crippled by their debt, which is what led to them going down.

Much like Arsenal or Newcastle, a team probably more famous than successful overall, as as much famous for the teams that didn't win titles as the ones that did.

Last edited:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It’s one of those rivalries where I hate losing to them but don’t feel much elation when we beat them.

TheLiverBird

One thing that I am hoping somebody here can elucidate: why are Leeds such a big club in the eyes of the media and footballing world? People talk about their history, but they are no where near other teams in terms of honours. Pretty sure Sunderland and Newcastle both have more cups than them in their history. Both them and Huddersfield have three domestic league trophies each. So what is all the history stuff about? Don Revvie only won one title didn’t he? The way that era is talked about, you would think that Leeds had dominated the 70s like Liverpool in the 80s and United In the 90s.
I think they are big club because before their EPL relegation they were a team/club that were always in and around the top half of the top division with generally fairly decent sides

they had a spell for several years in the 80’s where they weren’t in the top division but once back in the top flight mix, since around 1990 ish?? Right up to 2003/04 when they got relegated, for the majority of that period in top flight they were for the most part a top 5 Club, spending several years roaming Europe reaching the Semis in the champions League at one point, so they were a team of quality, maybe not elite but certainly no push overs

and they’ve also got the backing of their fans being one of the biggest Cities in Britain Etc

your Elite Clubs are the ones that dominate and win titles and trophies right, but there are several big clubs that float consistently just below the Elites, Leeds were one of them Clubs

Their ranking at 13th most successful English Club is somewhat flattering, they have 9 major honours in their entire history, hardly something to sing and dance about so historically they aren’t a success machine

Last edited:

Fingeredmouse

They are remembered for a couple of notable eras. One was Don Revie's side in the 70's; I think they only actually won two league titles but they were always there or thereabouts, if they didn't win it they would always be the runner up. They had the same core of players for a long time, Billie Bremner, Johnny Giles, etc. Really talented but notoriously dirty as well. They also reached a European Cup final in the early 70's.

The second era is the late 90's/early 2000's, where they had a really exciting young side, and were going deep in Europe. But they were horribly managed financially, and one poor season when they dropped out of Europe saw them crippled by their debt, which is what led to them going down.

Much like Arsenal or Newcastle, a team probably more famous than successful overall, as as much famous for the teams that didn't win titles as the ones that did.
...and (shuddering as I type this) the time they won the league in the early 90s.

I would gladly never play them, or even hear about them, ever again.

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
:lol: Being reduced to the second best side in Manchester has made you even more bitter than usual.

Marching

Quality control needs upping Mods. Who let this numpty in?! :lol:

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Can’t stand them. The longer they stayed down the better for me. I live in West Yorkshire and live among them, trust me they are up there with City and Dippers, worse in some cases. I remember them singing through the minutes silence when Matt Busby died. I’m not sure that City and Liverpool would stoop that low.

actually, second thoughts they probably would.

VivaJesperBlomqvist

Quality control needs upping Mods. Who let this numpty in?! :lol:
Yep, because a Leeds fan who opts for “upping” out of all the legitimate verbs out there on a Manchester United forum is a model to aspire to.

Don’t be so precious. I was genuinely curious about how a club with an unremarkable history in terms of honours and one that hasn’t been in the top flight in 16 years is considered a giant club. However, the posters above put a great case forward.

:lol:at using “numpty” in 2020.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Leeds were a classic example of the old, dirty, mean, long-ball brand of English football. With dangerous fans.

They were a decent PL side in the '90s. I don't know what the f they are now, other than Bielsa's (current) Frankenstein monster.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
We used to have some fecking absolute stinking games v them in the 70s. Proper wars on the pitch. Leeds and Chelsea absolutely hated each other in that era.

DannyDee

Glad they are back in the EPL, and hopefully we stomp them next year (The financial mismanagement of them in the early 2000's is something fanbases shouldn't have to go through). But their long reign in the lower divisions has killed the rivalry as a big event. They've been replaced by our constant competition for the top 4 in Chelsea, Arsenal, and to a lesser extent Tottenham (not that Tottenham hasn't been a top 4 team recently, more that we fought for premier league titles vs the others for long stretched) and obviously our long-term rivals who stayed relevent or re-emerged in Liverpool and City.

Chipper

Adulterer.
I didn't know much about them when they came back into the top flight in the early 90s, but when they did the atmosphere/rivalry was immediately noticeable.

Was just a kid and we used to sit in the family stand at Old Trafford which they put right next to where the away fans were at the time. Great idea. Of course, I had the end seat in that stand too. Would say only Millwall were worse from that sort of time in terms of away fans being hostile.

That season they won the league we played them in both cups and the league all away 3 times in about 3 weeks. Would have loved to have gone to those if I was a bit older, it was electric watching on tv/listening on the radio. We won both the cup games and drew the league one. I remember Kanchelskis tearing them apart in the League Cup one.

Squeaky Bumtime

Yep, because a Leeds fan who opts for “upping” out of all the legitimate verbs out there on a Manchester United forum is a model to aspire to.

Don’t be so precious. I was genuinely curious about how a club with an unremarkable history in terms of honours and one that hasn’t been in the top flight in 16 years is considered a giant club. However, the posters above put a great case forward.

I guess they're a big club same as Newcastle is..

Nobody knows how.

I saw some clips of their fans on BBC I think, they were on about how they're back where they belong. :lol:

RoyH1

Proper rivalry. They’ve never had the success we did, but a long era of tough and contested games left a mark.
Their fans are nasty though. I don’t understand how such a relatively large and prosperous city can breed such a toxic fan culture surrounding their football club.

Crustanoid

They’re dicks

They reckon winning the Championship is a seminal achievement.

The rivalry is in their heads, not ours.

And they’re linked to Qatar taking over so they’re set to become the next plastic club.

Oldyella

We used to have some fecking absolute stinking games v them in the 70s. Proper wars on the pitch. Leeds and Chelsea absolutely hated each other in that era.
Dont Leeds hate everyone though? They are the perfect representation of small man syndrome.

Scummy club, hate to see them back tbh.

Marching

FFS:houllier:

You either haven’t been arsed to check the history of my club or just don’t understand our rivalry with you being Manchester‘s second club. Please make your 50th post more interesting than your previous ones. You sound like a spotty faced teenager.

Ludens the Red

Fantastic post

Kag

Oddly enough, Leeds have almost turned into most of the country’s second club.

Bielsa will no doubt piss off soon and they’ll revert back to type, however.

Ludens the Red

For pundits yes. Not for fans of other clubs. But pundits seem to keep telling us they have . Very similar to that 2013/2014 Liverpool title push season. Where it was decided “neutrals” wanted Liverpool to win the title. Yet every fan who didn’t support Liverpool or city wanted city to win it.

Kag

For pundits yes. Not for fans of other clubs. But pundits seem to keep telling us they have . Very similar to that 2013/2014 Liverpool title push season. Where it was decided “neutrals” wanted Liverpool to win the title. Yet every fan who didn’t support Liverpool or city wanted city to win it.
Fans of other clubs tune into Leeds game. Whether they like them or not isn’t really the point. There’s barely a fan in the country who would wish them to go down because they are probably the most entertaining team to watch in the division. That’s some manifestation of popularity whether you like it or not.

Ludens the Red

Fans of other clubs tune into Leeds game. Whether they like them or not isn’t really the point. There’s barely a fan in the country who would wish them to go down because they are probably the most entertaining team to watch in the division. That’s some manifestation of popularity whether you like it or not.
Yeah they’re good to watch but doesn’t necessarily mean they’re everyone’s second team or people don’t want them to fail.
As a United fan you must surely get that. We were the best team to watch in the 90’s but you’d be mad to suggest we were peoples second team. People still wanted us to fail.
Us and Leeds will always be two loathed clubs.

Kag

Yeah they’re good to watch but doesn’t necessarily mean they’re everyone’s second team or people don’t want them to fail.
As a United fan you must surely get that. We were the best team to watch in the 90’s but you’d be mad to suggest we were peoples second team. People still wanted us to fail.
Us and Leeds will always be two loathed clubs.
I really don’t think that hatred for Leeds is there anymore. Not in my context, at least. To most folk under 30 (me), they have spent the best part of our lifetime sacking managers in the Championship and forever being skint. A whole new generation of supporter will start to engage with this current Leeds side and many around my age will remain fairly ambivalent towards them. Older folk may feel differently.

RashyForPM

Not for me they haven’t. I want them to beat the big 6 sides except us obviously and Leicester because those 6 teams are our direct competitors, but I always want them to lose otherwise.
FFS:houllier:

You either haven’t been arsed to check the history of my club or just don’t understand our rivalry with you being Manchester‘s second club. Please make your 50th post more interesting than your previous ones. You sound like a spotty faced teenager.
Your glory days came when your ‘legends’ like Revie, Charlton, Bremner and Giles booted teams into the far stand with 0 technical ability. Clough was right. You’re smaller than Villa pal, while even City fans would say they’re a minuscule club compared to us.

simplyared

There was no special rivalry between Man Utd and Leeds. We just hated them just like everyone else.
Reason is simple: Billy Bremner, Johnny Giles, Norman Hunter, Trevor Cherry, Terry feckin Yorath. All dirty bastards!

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
There was no special rivalry between Man Utd and Leeds. We just hated them just like everyone else.
Reason is simple: Billy Bremner, Johnny Giles, Norman Hunter, Trevor Cherry, Terry feckin Yorath. All dirty bastards!
This chant is proof of that:

We hate Liverpool and Man City, we hate Liverpool and Man City, we hate Liverpool and Man City, we hate Liverpool and Man City.

But we all hate Leeds scum, we all hate Leeds scum, we all hate Leeds scum, we all hate Leeds scum.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Two. Plus a few cups and lots of finals.

Also did pretty well in Europe and lost one final with terrible refereeing by a ref who was later banned for match fixing.

In 13 years, Revie took Leeds to 2 titles, 1 FA Cup, 1 League Cup, 2 Inter-Cities Fairs Cups, 1 Football League Second Division title and a Charity Shield. Also 3 other FA Cup Finals, 2 FA Cup Semi-finals, 1 Inter-Cities Fairs Cup Final, an Inter-Cities Fairs Cup Semi-final, 1 European Cup Winners' Cup Final and 1 European Cup Semi-final. The team also finished second in the Football League First Division five times, third once and fourth twice.

For a long while, they were pretty dominant. Not Liverpool/United dominant but who was?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/sport/amp/football/52416192

Still amazingly dirty game, even by 70s standards. ONE yellow card!

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Two. Plus a few cups and lots of finals.

Also did pretty well in Europe and lost one final with terrible refereeing by a ref who was later banned for match fixing.

In 13 years, Revie took Leeds to 2 titles, 1 FA Cup, 1 League Cup, 2 Inter-Cities Fairs Cups, 1 Football League Second Division title and a Charity Shield. Also 3 other FA Cup Finals, 2 FA Cup Semi-finals, 1 Inter-Cities Fairs Cup Final, an Inter-Cities Fairs Cup Semi-final, 1 European Cup Winners' Cup Final and 1 European Cup Semi-final. The team also finished second in the Football League First Division five times, third once and fourth twice.

For a long while, they were pretty dominant. Not Liverpool/United dominant but who was?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/sport/amp/football/52416192

Still amazingly dirty game, even by 70s standards. ONE yellow card!
The kung fu kick always makes me chuckle

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Commentator "surely that's dangerous play?" Dangerous play?.. It's GBH.

Every time I see that game again, I laugh at how bad the tackles were and the ref letting them go.

Fair play to both teams though. They could play but they gave and took it.
:lol: Surely! I suppose it was the norm. As SAF said” you have to hit someone with a pick axe to get sent off”