Manchester United- Liverpool Combined 11 (Neville X Carragher)

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Im agree with most here but i'm sorry I just can't pick robertson, his barks like a dog most games and it annoys the hell out of me.

Oranges038

Based on ability Varane, Bruno and Ronaldo is about all that would get into the Liverpool team. Maybe Greenwood over Mane at a push.

Allison
TAA
VVD
Varane
Robertson
Fabinho
Henderson
Bruno
Salah
Mane
Ronaldo

Purely on form - probably just Bruno and Ronaldo.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Alisson, TAA, VVD, Salah and Mane are the nailed on picks for Liverpool. Robertson beats Shaw too.

One of our CBs would start alongside VVD. The rest depends on whether you're building toward Liverpool's system or a fantasy team. Obviously the likes of Bruno, Pogba and Ronaldo are better than Jordan Henderson and Firmino, so they get in the latter case, even if in real life terms they wouldn't fit within Liverpool's current set-up.

OmarUnited4ever

My Combined 11 would be: -

Adrian
Dalot Bailly N.Phillips N.Williams

Matic - Milner

VdB

Minamino - Origi - Lingard​

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Ronaldo?
Mane - Bruno - Salah
Henderson - Fabinho
Shaw - van Dijk - Varane - Trent
Allison​

Although I have a feeling that the manager (whoever is the better one out of the two, I’m not sure:wenger:) would prefer to keep Ronaldo on the bench and either go with a more hard-working forward in one of Cavani/Jota or with a third midfielder (not named Pogba — individual quality doesn’t matter as much there).

Pogba & Ronaldo are questionable choices as they get in on their individual talent alone, but they’ll ruin Klopp’s system — and let’s not kid ourselves, he would be the one managing this combined XI. Putting Ronaldo in is a reasonable assumption, as his experience & drive would especially valuable in big games and we’ve just seen that he’s actually capable of putting in a shift in a one-off game. Pogba — not so much, even though I really dislike Henderson.

P.S. Greenwood would be the first sub in attack, although all four of him, Cavani, Rashford & Jota are very good and can compete for Mane’s/Ronaldo’s starting spot.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
DDG
TTA Varane VVD Robertson
Fabinho Pogba
Salah Bruno Mane
Ronaldo​

Coach: Klopp team
That's what I'd go for. I don't understand why Varane has be PL proven to be included in this. It's not like he's some up and coming defender United signed from Europa League level team. Varane and Van Dijk are the two best CB's across both teams.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Allisson
Trent Varane Matip Shaw
Fabinho Thiago
Salah Pogba Rashford
Ronaldo

red4ever 79

Mane hasn’t been that good for a long time still pops up with goals because it’s well Liverpool but not automatic anymore.
Mane has 5 goals in 8 premier league games. The previous posted put Rashford in front of him. I love Rashford but he aint starrting ahead of Mane

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
That's what I'd go for. I don't understand why Varane has be PL proven to be included in this. It's not like he's some up and coming defender United signed from Europa League level team. Varane and Van Dijk are the two best CB's across both teams.
Varane PL proven is the dumbest thing. Man's a world cup winner and multiple times CL winner.

cyberman

Mane has 5 goals in 8 premier league games. The previous posted put Rashford in front of him. I love Rashford but he aint starrting ahead of Mane
Mane isn’t a better goal scorer than Rashford. That can’t be a reason why he’s in there ahead of Marcus.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Alisson still being overrated despite it all unravelling once he didn't have a team playing good football and a quality defence in front of him.

Didn't manage to use those amazing defensive organisation skills of a sudden, still yet to make an impressive save of any kind, and made multiple blunders.

DDG
TTA Varane VVD Robertson
Fabinho Pogba
Salah Bruno Mane
Ronaldo​

Coach: Klopp team
This is the answer.

FatTails

Not much wrong with either except picking Matip or Maguire over Varane.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Varane PL proven is the dumbest thing. Man's a world cup winner and multiple times CL winner.
It is funny especially as it was the Chelsea fans calling Thiago Silva the 2nd best CB in the league last summer before he'd even kicked a ball

MalaysianRed7

Taking the last few seasons into account, but with this season given a bigger weighting due to it obviously being the best gauge for a player’s level. Formation is 4-3-3 as that’s the one I feel both teams play best in, and I’m not sure why Ole still hasn’t switched after all the rumours in the summer. The manager is Klopp, for very obvious reasons.

Alisson - This season, I feel DDG has only been second to Mendy in terms of goalkeepers. However, Alisson has been better since he joined. He carried Liverpool last season when they essentially played with no centre backs, so he makes it. If this season’s trajectory carries on though, DDG will displace him by the time the return fixture comes.

TAA - It’s not a debate going forward between him and AWB, and at the back, the only thing AWB is superior to him at is 1 on 1 defending. TAA is average defensively, but even he doesn’t get drawn inside and caught out at the back post as often as AWB.

Varane - World Cup winner, 4 times CL winner, 3 times La Liga winner. Honours even Van Dijk could only dream of. Mainstay in possibly Real Madrid’s best ever team, and the closest defender to Rio Ferdinand in today’s game in terms of his calm play style.

Van Dijk - Probably the best defender in the world at the moment. Has been a bit shakier than usual after his return from such a lengthy injury, but the way he hasn’t lost anything aside from match sharpness is pretty ridiculous. Top defender, and so attainable for many years before moving to Liverpool. Instead, Mourinho signed Lindelof.

Robertson - This was tough, and it would have been Shaw if I did this before the season started after he performed like the best LB in the world last season. However, Shaw has been well off his usual self this season, while Robertson has been typically consistent in his usual manner since 2018.

Fabinho - The most underrated DM in the world. Not quite on Casemiro’s level, who I think is the best, but Liverpool aren’t the same team without him. Compared to Fred, Matic and McT, it’s not an argument that he gets in. He’s even quality at CB.

Bruno - I thought it was an absolute embarrassment that ‘United legend’ Neville picked Firmino over him on MNF. For what, scoring a hat trick against Craig Cathcart and Will Troost-Ekong? Bruno has been statistically the best player in the league since his arrival and gets 35 goal contributions every year. He’s miles better than Firmino.

Pogba - I have made a thread in the newbie forum saying I wouldn’t even start him in tough games, so this is a bit weird that I’m now saying he would get into Liverpool’s team! However, I did also say that he’s not helped by the fact we have no top DM. With his unmatched passing ability in both teams, a midfield of him, Fabinho and Bruno would be the best in the world. We’ve seen what he can do with a Kante or Tchouameni next to him.

Salah - Unfortunately, he’s been the best player in the world this season. He’s managed to hit a level he didn’t even find in 2017-18, and I think he’s already on something like 20 G/A this season. Sancho and Greenwood are amazing talents, but they need a few more years before even being compared to Salah.

Ronaldo - The best player of all time, or Jota/Firmino? Funnily enough, Carragher actually thinks neither, and that Greenwood should be the striker despite never playing there for any prolonged period in his senior career. Amazing pundi

Rashford - Extremely controversial, especially considering he just came back from a reasonably long injury. However, the fact that he outscored Mane until his injury in 2019-20 in a bang average team when Mane was considered one of the best in the world, played better than Mane while carrying an injury last season and has got even better since returning from said injury this season means he makes it into my team. It’s very tight though and Liverpool fans could put Mane in with good reason.

5 for United, 6 for Liverpool, and I tried my best to be as unbiased as possible. This just reaffirms my belief that we have the best squad in the league when you consider Liverpool’s bench or there lack of, and that Ole should really be getting so much more out of them. Embarrassing that Neville only had 3 United players in there, and we all know why.

el3mel

DDG
Arnold - Varane - Matip - Shaw
Fabinho - Henderson
Bruno
Salah - Firmino - Rashford

Robertson could be in instead of Shaw if we count this season's form as Shaw has had a huge drop in form recently.

Ronaldo won't work well at all with Salah so I didn't choose him.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Their entire back 4 is better than us

DDG,
Liverpool 4
Fab,Pogba,Hendo
Bruno
Salah and Rashford.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
They never discuss, who they'd have managing the combined XI
Manager : GNev
Assistant manager : Carragher
First team coaches : Scholes, Phil Neville, Carrick, McKenna, Jimmy Luminescent
CEO : Peter Lim
Owner : Class of 92

cyberman

He's a better player though right. Surely there is no debate on that
Maybe 18 months ago but not now imo. Look at our reputation for killing sides that came out at us. That disappeared when Marcus got injured, he carried that threat in his own. Leicester pressed us at will, Rashford comes on and immediately got in behind to score. He destroyed Atalanta high line all on his own last Wednesday. He is a devastating inside forward who’s runs from out to in is on an elite level.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Their entire back 4 is better than us

DDG,
Liverpool 4
Fab,Pogba,Hendo
Bruno
Salah and Rashford.
Don't confuse coaching with individual talent... Varane walks in next to Van Dijk (and Maguire normally would get in as well). Shaw from last season is a toss up with Robertson at his best as well.

De Gea from before sure but even though he's in great form, Allison is as good as any goalkeeper in the world the past few years.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Allison
TAA Varane Van Dijk Robertson
Bruno Fabinho Thiago
Salah Ronaldo Rashford​

For me. Best mix of balance and quality/productivity. Rashford in there based on the level I think he is at when fully fit (more like 19/20 than 20/21) but understandable to put Mane there. Shaw a close run but Robertson has done it for longer. Thiago in midfield gives better balance.

Bolded are the unquestionables for me. The rest you can make a reasonable argument for someone else.

Stacks

Not been much between them over the last two seasons, tbf. This season Greenwood has been one of our only attackers showing up
2020 Mane was one of the prems top scorers. His bad season last season is closer to greenwood. Not once has greenwood managed 22 goals 12 assists, he pretty much just looks to shoot. Greenwood is nowhere near displacing Mane.

Stacks

Allison
TAA Varane Van Dijk Robertson
Bruno Fabinho Thiago
Salah Ronaldo Rashford​

For me. Best mix of balance and quality/productivity. Rashford in there based on the level I think he is at when fully fit (more like 19/20 than 20/21) but understandable to put Mane there. Shaw a close run but Robertson has done it for longer. Thiago in midfield gives better balance.
good team. Bruno needs players like that with him and the pace and movement of Rashford and Salah would be crazy

red4ever 79

Maybe 18 months ago but not now imo. Look at our reputation for killing sides that came out at us. That disappeared when Marcus got injured, he carried that threat in his own. Leicester pressed us at will, Rashford comes on and immediately got in behind to score. He destroyed Atalanta high line all on his own last Wednesday. He is a devastating inside forward who’s runs from out to in is on an elite level.
Please dont get me wrong I love Rashford think he is a top player, but I just think Mane is a better all round player.

cyberman

Please dont get me wrong I love Rashford think he is a top player, but I just think Mane is a better all round player.
But Mane has been severely off form for a while, even now he and Robertson aren’t contributing that much from play, it’s all migrated towards Liverpool’s right hand side. I also think that’s why Salah is a better player now since literally everything has to go through he and Trent. Salah is seeing more of the ball and doing wonders with it.

It’s a weird discussion since the parameters change with every position and nothing is consistent. If it’s long term and it’s Robertson over Shaw then let’s just save time and put Varane, DDG, Sancho, Cavani, Ronaldo, Pogba and Bruno straight in there. If it’s on form then VVD can’t get in since he has been so sloppy on his return and has basically missed a year of football anyway.
These combined 11s never work

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
In general (if you are picking team with which you will go into the season)
Ddg, TAA, Shaw, VVD, Varane
Fabinho, Pogba, Bruno
Salah, Ronaldo, Rashford

Klopp on the bench of course

tomaldinho1

Does Shaw get in?? Hand on heart as a United fan it's a bit biased, Robertson has won CL and PL and generally been outstanding. Robertson has played 10 less games but has 40 assists to Shaw's 19 & Shaw hasn't been that amazing defensively with us.

Sadly the team would just be:

---------------------- Allisson ------------------
TAA --- Varane --- VVD --- Robertson
--------------------- Fabinho -------------------
------- Henderson ------ Bruno ------------
Salah ------------------------------------- Mane
---------------------- Ronnie -----------------------

Varane is a bit generous but he is class.