Manchester United name John Murtough as Football Director and Darren Fletcher as Technical Director

Matt851

@UnitedSofa didn't make it up, it comes from Andy Mitten who has sources around the club.

https://www.thenationalnews.com/spo...rren-fletcher-as-technical-director-1.1181576
Well what he described is different to what was described in the article you linked (see below), regardless it sounds like the reality of fletchers role is different to what might have been briefed early on

Fletcher will work closely with Murtough to add technical input and direction into all football and performance areas. He will focus on a co-ordinated and long-term approach to player and squad development, helping maintain the integral link between the Academy and the first team.

Fletcher is the technical director. His role is to for lack of a better term, convince, potential signings to sign for United, he sits in on meetings with players/agents and gets a feel for if they’re the right fit for United. He also does this as a bridge between the Reserves and the first team. Can the youngsters handle the step up, do they have the right mentality. So yes, he does have the right qualifications for this role.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Fletcher gets a bad rap on here, don’t know why. Does anyone ever read our press releases when they’re announced?

Murtough is effectively the DOF

Fletcher is the technical director. His role is to for lack of a better term, convince, potential signings to sign for United, he sits in on meetings with players/agents and gets a feel for if they’re the right fit for United. He also does this as a bridge between the Reserves and the first team. Can the youngsters handle the step up, do they have the right mentality. So yes, he does have the right qualifications for this role.
the problem with Fletcher is that he started as an U16 coach in October, he was promoted to first team coach in January and got promoted again as technical director in March. Now either this guy is a genius or else he's solely in the job because of his great connections.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Well what he described is different to what was described in the article you linked (see below), regardless it sounds like the reality of fletchers role is different to what might have been briefed early on

Fletcher will work closely with Murtough to add technical input and direction into all football and performance areas. He will focus on a co-ordinated and long-term approach to player and squad development, helping maintain the integral link between the Academy and the first team.

What he said comes from several article, there is at least an other one from Mitten that adds to it and both correspond to what the previous poster said. Now you may not believe it, but he didn't make it up or imagined it.

Matt851

the problem with Fletcher is that he started as an U16 coach in October, he was promoted to first team coach in January and got promoted again as technical director in March. Now either this guy is a genius or else he's solely in the job because of his great connections.
There was an article in the athletic a few weeks ago that said ed was sure ole was the right man because he once walked in on ole planning his team for future years. That does make you think even the most basic demonstration of competence will impress him

I am guessing Fletcher is quite a competent guy who could come across well but those are the types of qualities that might get you a chance of a senior role in a lower league club rather the at manchester united (where you should have to be truly exceptional)

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
What he said comes from several article, there is at least an other one from Mitten that adds to it and both correspond to what the previous poster said. Now you may not believe it, but he didn't make it up or imagined it.
Thanks for sticking up for me!

Skills

Snitch
There's not a chance Rangnicks sitting above Murtough. Fletcher and Murtough weren't interviewing to find a new boss.

The way I see the consultancy role is that they recognise that the structure at the club needs to change. Businesses quite often hire consultants to make that change for you. It's recognising that you need short term external expertise to implement the change you want, train your own internal staff to the new structure and then once they finish they stay on a retainer to provide advice for another couple of years.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
There's not a chance Rangnicks sitting above Murtough. Fletcher and Murtough weren't interviewing to find a new boss.

The way I see the consultancy role is that they recognise that the structure at the club needs to change. Businesses quite often hire consultants to make that change for you. It's recognising that you need short term external expertise to implement the change you want, train your own internal staff to the new structure and then once they finish they stay on a retainer to provide advice for another couple of years.
Finally!

Someone on here who knows what Rangnick is going to do after his 6 month stint as manager.

I see so many posts saying that he's going to be the new director of football or something of that ilk. He's not. He's just acting as a consultant for United. While maintaining some power of club decisions. It really is as simple as you've put it.

Foxbatt

For now. You never know with this Board. They are very capable of sacking both of them and giving Rangnick the position he wants if he gets things going.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I think the beat reporter, Laurie Whitwell mentioned the reason Fletcher is in the dug out is because of COVID rules. He needs to be in there and not in the stands if he is to be permitted in the dressing room or near the players afterwards.

Zen86

I'm guessing no football roles will be safe if Rangnick is being brought on in a consultancy capacity after his managerial stint.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Don't mean this in any way as criticism of him but it seems strange to me just how involved our Technical Director is with the actual team on a day to day basis. Even when we had a permanent manager he was involved with the coaching and today he seemed to be right alongside Rangnick.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Don't mean this in any way as criticism of him but it seems strange to me just how involved our Technical Director is with the actual team on a day to day basis. Even when we had a permanent manager he was involved with the coaching and today he seemed to be right alongside Rangnick.
He is making up the numbers on the coaching side while we wait for Rangnick's guys to come in, it has been the case since Ole left.

It will be worth mentioning if he is still around when Rangnick's coaches arrive.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Michael Zorc and Sebastian Kehl have been sitting in the dug out at BvB for years. It's no big deal.

Mainoldo

Michael Zorc and Sebastian Kehl have been sitting in the dug out at BvB for years. It's no big deal.
Ssshhhh. Let the hysteria continue.

Here’s Zidane training as sporting director in some of these clips. Who would imagine that.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Ssshhhh. Let the hysteria continue.

Here’s Zidane training as sporting director in some of these clips. Who would imagine that.
There's a whole host of technical directors/DoFs who sit on the bench at different clubs. Max Eberl, Paratici, Zidane, Zorc etc.

I would actually be dissapointed if one of Fletcher/Murtough wasn't doing the same, because the point of being the Sporting director/DoF is to watch things closely from the dug out to the changing rooms.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Never knew that, interesting.
Consider this: Many clubs don't have a manager in the sense of the english clubs, but split responsibilities between a head coach and a DoF. People like Zorc or Salihamidzic are doing part of the job someone like Solskjaer did at United.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
They will face a huge challenge in the summer: so many players are leaving it seems (Lingard, Pogba, Martial etc.) where we wont get a fee or at least not much. Yet we need to add to our squad with real quality while the market is still a huge bubble

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
They will face a huge challenge in the summer: so many players are leaving it seems (Lingard, Pogba, Martial etc.) where we wont get a fee or at least not much. Yet we need to add to our squad with real quality while the market is still a huge bubble
I think the market is calming down now, I have faith in us spending well too after a good last summer and feel with Ralf and his RB network there'll be a lot of bargains to be had. I'm actually confident for once that betwen Fletch, Murtough and Ralf, we have football people that will make the right footballing decisions and plug all the holes in the squad adequately.

Gurtej

i think it’s a blessing in disguise for them…

We need to reset with a new vision and I would say aim a league title in 3 years time…

Given both Guardiola and Klopp most likely won’t be in their roles, getting things absolutely right in next couple of years is key.
I would also be surprised if Tuchel is there given Chelsea history of sacking managers. And let’s be honest, these are arguably top top 3 managers in the world right now!!

We have too many players in the team who contribute little for the amount of money we pay them…..are they good player, yes… are they contributing enough and deserve those salaries, absolutely no…

Going forward, we need to be smart in how much we pay both in regards of salaries and acquisition costs….No more costly mistakes like Harry or AWB etc…

For me the key is to sell or get rid of dead wood…..and also losing Pogba will be our best transfer business of the year….The guy has done nothing to be one of the best paid player….

So in ideal world….we get rid of Lingard and Martial in Jan for a total of approx. 40m..

Mata, Jones, Pogba goes for free, massive free up of wages….Cavani will leave next year as well! Let Matic go plz as well!!

In my view, sell Henderson, I am sure we can get a decent 30-40m for him …. You don’t pay 120k to a back up keeper for god sake…sell Baily for May be 15m or so…

Bring some youth in….We have some decent kids there..

Our summer transfer spend is usually 100m, add the 70-80 we can recoup based on the above…

I am sure in that money, we can get a world one class midfielder and world class defender…and possibility of getting a 20m good squad player in whatever position we think we are short

ideally a top midfielder and a top striker….but given the two top strikers have very Low chances of joining United…doubt there is anyone better out there who is achievable.

Given Ronaldo is still adding goals and we have Rashford and Sancho…. Plus Greenwood should continue to become a great player….This is something we can put on hold….

SAF is the GOAT

Murtough: “We’re all disappointed at Ole’s departure but he deserves to be judged on his record over past three years not his last few weeks. Secured our first back-to-back top-three finishes since Sir Alex retired. So close to winning silverware. He re-set club’s culture.” #MUFC

Murtough: “Out of respect for Ole we did not approach other managers before he left. Our plan then was to appoint an experienced interim manager. Ralf was our clear first choice. He’s someone I have admired for a long time, we’re delighted he’s here.” #MUFC

Murtough: “By bringing in Ralf we can now take time to run a thorough process for our next permanent manager. Recruiting a manager is one of the most important decisions a football club makes so we want to do it in a careful and considered fashion.” #MUFC

AneRu

Murtough: “We’re all disappointed at Ole’s departure but he deserves to be judged on his record over past three years not his last few weeks. Secured our first back-to-back top-three finishes since Sir Alex retired. So close to winning silverware. He re-set club’s culture.” #MUFC

Murtough: “Out of respect for Ole we did not approach other managers before he left. Our plan then was to appoint an experienced interim manager. Ralf was our clear first choice. He’s someone I have admired for a long time, we’re delighted he’s here.” #MUFC

Murtough: “By bringing in Ralf we can now take time to run a thorough process for our next permanent manager. Recruiting a manager is one of the most important decisions a football club makes so we want to do it in a careful and considered fashion.” #MUFC
I hope this isn't just for hype and that we actually take our time to appoint some on the up and that person must be someone with a fighting chance to take on Klopp tactically. If we get this one right we have the resources to build a title challenging side in double quick time, we already have the foundations in Varane, Sancho, Bruno, Rashford, Greenwood and Shaw.

Yakuza_devils

The worst thing that happened to us after SAF retired wasn't that we failed to win any major titles.

It was the fact that we let Ed the accountant to make football decision for the biggest club in the world which he has no clue whatsoever. 8 years of negative football and wasted about 1 bil in transfer fees. We became laughing stock in world football for 8 years.

Arnold seems to have learnt the lesson and is appointing the right people for the jobs. Hope this is the new era of modern Man Utd.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
The worst thing that happened to us after SAF retired wasn't that we failed to win any major titles.

It was the fact that we let Ed the accountant to make football decision for the biggest club in the world which he has no clue whatsoever. 8 years of negative football and wasted about 1 bil in transfer fees. We became laughing stock in world football for 8 years.

Arnold seems to have learnt the lesson and is appointing the right people for the jobs. Hope this is the new era of modern Man Utd.
We'll see.
The pessimistic in me still thinks this (Ralph, change of club culture/playing style) is all window dressing.

wolvored

We'll see.
The pessimistic in me still thinks this (Ralph, change of club culture/playing style) is all window dressing.
I dont understand what you mean. You think RR will go in the summer then we will go with another ex Utd player and his cronies? I dont see that happening and I think Arnold has rightly said he will leave football to the football knowledged. I feel more optimistic for Utd going forward than any time since Fergie.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I dont understand what you mean. You think RR will go in the summer then we will go with another ex Utd player and his cronies? I dont see that happening and I think Arnold has rightly said he will leave football to the football knowledged. I feel more optimistic for Utd going forward than any time since Fergie.
I don't feel optimistic.

This time next year we've probably scrapped this and jumped onto another idea. :lol:

userman

i think it’s a blessing in disguise for them…

We need to reset with a new vision and I would say aim a league title in 3 years time…

Given both Guardiola and Klopp most likely won’t be in their roles, getting things absolutely right in next couple of years is key.
I would also be surprised if Tuchel is there given Chelsea history of sacking managers. And let’s be honest, these are arguably top top 3 managers in the world right now!!

We have too many players in the team who contribute little for the amount of money we pay them…..are they good player, yes… are they contributing enough and deserve those salaries, absolutely no…

Going forward, we need to be smart in how much we pay both in regards of salaries and acquisition costs….No more costly mistakes like Harry or AWB etc…

For me the key is to sell or get rid of dead wood…..and also losing Pogba will be our best transfer business of the year….The guy has done nothing to be one of the best paid player….

So in ideal world….we get rid of Lingard and Martial in Jan for a total of approx. 40m..

Mata, Jones, Pogba goes for free, massive free up of wages….Cavani will leave next year as well! Let Matic go plz as well!!

In my view, sell Henderson, I am sure we can get a decent 30-40m for him …. You don’t pay 120k to a back up keeper for god sake…sell Baily for May be 15m or so…

Bring some youth in….We have some decent kids there..

Our summer transfer spend is usually 100m, add the 70-80 we can recoup based on the above…

I am sure in that money, we can get a world one class midfielder and world class defender…and possibility of getting a 20m good squad player in whatever position we think we are short

ideally a top midfielder and a top striker….but given the two top strikers have very Low chances of joining United…doubt there is anyone better out there who is achievable.

Given Ronaldo is still adding goals and we have Rashford and Sancho…. Plus Greenwood should continue to become a great player….This is something we can put on hold….
Totally agree. The summer window should be a great opportunity to finally get rid of a lot of players on free transfers to free up resources to recruit new. Could also add Tuanzebe, Pereira and Williams as players we should sell and get some money from.

sugar_kane

I’m a bit confused by Fletcher’s current role, he was made first team coach in Jan this year then Technical Director about two months later which is bizarre in itself.

At the moment he seems to appear on the bench for random games where he spends a good deal of time on the touch line barking instructions.

It may be as simple as him stepping in to support Rangnick with both McKenna and Carrick gone but it comes across as quite unusual, particularly with the amount of presence he has on the touchline.

To be honest I think it’s just symptomatic of a club in complete chaos.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I’m a bit confused by Fletcher’s current role, he was made first team coach in Jan this year then Technical Director about two months later which is bizarre in itself.

At the moment he seems to appear on the bench for random games where he spends a good deal of time on the touch line barking instructions.

It may be as simple as him stepping in to support Rangnick with both McKenna and Carrick gone but it comes across as quite unusual, particularly with the amount of presence he has on the touchline.

Sums us up nicely. Everyone does whatever they want, get jobs they're not qualified for and learn on the job. No wonder we're in a huge mess

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks

Pretty much. I'm confused by this aswell.

Devil81

I was looking for a thread to ask the same question,.

What is he doing, seemed more involved than Ragnick whenever the cameras panned on to them.

Even more confusing is the fact Ragnick named his staff a few weeks back and they were nowhere to be seen. Looked like Phelan didn't have a seat either

sparx99

I was looking for a thread to ask the same question,.

What is he doing, seemed more involved than Ragnick whenever the cameras panned on to them.

Even more confusing is the fact Ragnick named his staff a few weeks back and they were nowhere to be seen. Looked like Phelan didn't have a seat either
We had a bunch of staff infected and/or self isolating. He could just be helping out while we get people back.